PDA

View Full Version : Is WMP to Nats inevitable?

Spitball
11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
I saw a rumor in one of the Boston papers that Theo is talking to Jimbo about Wily Mo Pena for Chad Cordero. Whoa! This one seems too likely to pass off as floating speculation.

1. For Bowden, trading a pitcher for an outfielder is a no-brainer.

2. For Bowden, acquiring ex-Reds seems to be a mission.

3. The Red Sox are looking for a closer.

4. Epstein likes to undo his mistakes. (See Renteria)

This might hinge on Manny Ramirez being traded, but I believe the Sox will want a more established name to hit fourth and play left.

Anyway, I want to be the first to predict this one. If I'm right, I'll be viewd as a genius. If I'm wrong, no one will remember. (I hope) ;)

EKURed
11-21-2006, 11:54 AM
If true, that is easliy Bowden's worst trade ever. Also, if true, why hasn't Boston jumped all over it already???

blumj
11-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Sure, WMP's got the words "Bowden Bait" written on the back of his Red Sox uniform where it's supposed to say "Pena". I doubt Cordero was supposed to be the intended target, though, if there was a specific one.

Spitball
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
I doubt Cordero was supposed to be the intended target, though, if there was a specific one.

Why?

From The Boston Globe:

One industry executive insisted the Sox were dangling outfielder Wily Mo Peņa to the Nationals for closer Chad Cordero, though Nationals GM Jim Bowden, through a club spokesman, denied any such discussions. Bowden, who traded for Peņa when he was with Cincinnati, has long held Peņa in high regard.

Epstein addresses his team's needs, and they need a closer.

blumj
11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Why?

From The Boston Globe:

Epstein addresses his team's needs, and they need a closer.
I just meant that he probably wasn't the original one, if there was one, but he could very well be now.

Mario-Rijo
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I cannot imagine that even Bowden is that dumb!

TRF
11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I cannot imagine that even Bowden is that dumb!

hmm. I'm thinking IF JimBo were to explore this, and he just might, that Jon Rauch would be the new closer. He had nearly identical numbers to Cordero. the same K/9 exactly. Rauch was better at keeping the ball in the yard.

If Jimbo thinks he can replace Rauch in the setup role, he might go hunting for offense. WMP is only one year removed from the NL, he'd re-acclimate quickly.

Heck, I'd do it. Especially if he thinks Joey Eischen might return to form.

Puffy
11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
For Wily Mo's sake I hope this is true. I'd love the kid to be traded somewhere where he was guaranteed to play every day. No worries, just go out and play.

Only then will he and all the rest of us find out if he can turn that massive potential into something special.

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
For Wily Mo's sake I hope this is true. I'd love the kid to be traded somewhere where he was guaranteed to play every day. No worries, just go out and play.

Only then will he and all the rest of us find out if he can turn that massive potential into something special.

If he's traded out of Boston, I'm gonna miss watching him aimlessly roam CF. Those were good times. Just 1 notch above him losing that HR in RF as he crashed into the wall.

Redsland
11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Sure, WMP's got the words "Bowden Bait" written on the back of his Red Sox uniform where it's supposed to say "Pena".
Will I be nominated for The Nitpicker of the Year Award if I note here that the Red Sox do not actually put players' names on their uniforms?

:)

blumj
11-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Will I be nominated for The Nitpicker of the Year Award if I note here that the Red Sox do not actually put players' names on their uniforms?

:)
Well, yes, and especially because they actually do put players' names on their road jerseys, and I believe also on their alternate red ones. How do you think I learned to spell Mientkiewicz? Perhaps you're thinking of some other team?