PDA

View Full Version : The BCS National Championship Game

Caseyfan21
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Matchup: OSU vs. TBD
Date: Jan 8, 2007

I thought we needed a thread to just discuss the game like we have had for most OSU games this year. There are threads on a rematch and the BCS system in general but no thread to discuss the game itself and I thought steering one of those threads away to discussing the game wouldn't be fair to the original poster.

I'd imagine there isn't a whole lot to talk about until we know our opponent in a couple weeks, so let's start it off with these questions:

Is anyone planning on making the trip to cheer on the Buckeyes?
Has anyone been to one of the National Championships in the past and have a story to share?

I'm personally planning on trying to get to the game however possible. Tickets are the killer going for over $1,000 each on Ebay so I'm holding out hope for the raffle for OSU students next week to get them for face. I also have a couple friends with ties to the program that I'm hoping will maybe remember me when giving out their free tickets (not too likely). The plane tickets are also out of this world (over $500 each from Columbus) so I'm looking at maybe driving up to Chicago with friends to save almost $250 per ticket and then just splitting gas costs.

I worked in Phoenix this past summer so I have friends to stay with out there and a lot of people to see, I'm just hoping to make it to the game.

Puffy
11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
jmcclain19 lives out there - I doubt he is going cause he is whipped, errrr, I mean married now.

Unassisted
11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
jmcclain19 lives out there - I doubt he is going cause he is whipped, errrr, I mean married now.

Plus he's got that not-liking-the-Buckeyes issue. After seeing them come to Tempe for 4 out of their last 5 bowl games, you'd think he'd come around. ;)

I'm still hoping that the Alamo Bowl will get added to the BCS bowl rotation myself. :D

Heath
11-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm still hoping that the Alamo Bowl will get added to the BCS bowl rotation myself. :D

The same day, San Antonio will announce getting a NFL team. :D

Pigs will fly.

captainmorgan07
11-21-2006, 11:14 PM
saw package on the net today 2,459 for 2 nights hotel airfare and ticket to the game

Caseyfan21
11-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Good news, I'll at least be in Glendale for the weekend and day of the game. Just booked plane tickets out of Indianapolis for only $360 all told. Still on the high side but much better than the over $500 costs in Columbus and over $400 in Dayton.

Also ready to enter the lottery for students next Monday so I'll find out if I won on Tuesday. If not it's looking like the Ebay route for game tickets.

Caseyfan21
01-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I was looking for a thread to talk about Tuesday's game and I didn't see anything so I brought this old thread back up.

Predictions?

Keys to the Game?

I obviously have to pick the Buckeyes, 31-24 is my guess, but I think it will be a very close game. I think the key will be how the Buckeye defense can respond after the Michigan game.

I'm leaving Saturday for the game...absolutely cannot wait. I'm just hoping for a game as good as Michigan or the 02 National Championship.

Yachtzee
01-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I was looking for a thread to talk about Tuesday's game and I didn't see anything so I brought this old thread back up.

Predictions?

Keys to the Game?

I obviously have to pick the Buckeyes, 31-24 is my guess, but I think it will be a very close game. I think the key will be how the Buckeye defense can respond after the Michigan game.

I'm leaving Saturday for the game...absolutely cannot wait. I'm just hoping for a game as good as Michigan or the 02 National Championship.

Enjoy! I would love to go to a big game like this some day. Maybe someday...

George Foster
01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I think people are really over looking Florida. There speed on defensive has not been seen by OSU. I'll admit I'm rooting for Florida, they are from the SEC, and I would like to see a conference team win the national championship, especially since Auburn got screwed a couple of years ago.

Can you name the only 3 teams in America that have played 3 BCS bowl teams each this year?

jmcclain19
01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Plus he's got that not-liking-the-Buckeyes issue. After seeing them come to Tempe for 4 out of their last 5 bowl games, you'd think he'd come around. ;)

The best games are when Ohio State & Notre Dame play. That's like a double whammy.

Notre Dame fans are a whole something else kinda short bus special. Exhibit A - Puffy.

On a serious note - a friend of mine I work with has a pair for sale, but it's with a caveat. His wife died the day after christmas from cancer complications, so he's auctioning them off for big money - whatever he can get, to pay for med bills. 1st row Upper Deck on the 10 yard line - North side of the field. Anyone who is interested let me know, poor guy need all the help he can get.

traderumor
01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I think people are really over looking Florida. There speed on defensive has not been seen by OSU. I'll admit I'm rooting for Florida, they are from the SEC, and I would like to see a conference team win the national championship, especially since Auburn got screwed a couple of years ago.

Can you name the only 3 teams in America that have played 3 BCS bowl teams each this year?Ohio State O has some speed, sort of like the fastest guy in college football. I remember someone saying before the UM game that OSU had not seen the likes of the UM D, and we know how that turned out.

jmcclain19
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Can you name the only 3 teams in America that have played 3 BCS bowl teams each this year?

Arkansas (Florida/USC/LSU)
LSU (Florida/Arkansas/Notre Dame)
Stumped on the 3rd one

Caseyfan21
01-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Arkansas (Florida/USC/LSU)
LSU (Florida/Arkansas/Notre Dame)
Stumped on the 3rd one

I'm thinking Michigan:

- Notre Dame
- OSU
- USC

George Foster
01-04-2007, 11:41 PM
And the third one is......Kentucky. (LSU, Florida, Louisville.) Michigan does not count, I meant regular season.

Caseyfan21
01-05-2007, 01:36 AM
And the third one is......Kentucky. (LSU, Florida, Louisville.) Michigan does not count, I meant regular season.

Ahhhh, makes sense considering that would include OSU too. That is a pretty good trivia question though, most people wouldn't think of Kentucky.

Cedric
01-05-2007, 02:01 AM
God the speed thing is just amazing to me. Ohio State is an NFL factory. Makes no sense to bring it up.

Danny Serafini
01-05-2007, 09:32 AM
LSU doesn't count, Arkansas isn't a BCS bowl team, so that just leaves Arkansas and Kentucky playing three each.

You'd think this speed thing would've been put to rest in 2002. Miami was supposed to be so much faster than Ohio State, and the Buckeyes matched them step for step. Florida's speed isn't going to bother Ohio State.

Red Leader
01-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Michigan doesn't count? Ohio State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin?

Nevermind, I don't think the Capitol One was a BCS game.

paintmered
01-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Michigan doesn't count? Ohio State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin?

Nevermind, I don't think the Capitol One was a BCS game.

Right. Capitol One isn't a BCS game. But it probably had the best matchup of the non-BCS games.

max venable
01-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I have to admit that Florida scares me a bit. It's almost like they're the OSU of 2002 and the Bucks are Miami. Everybody was picking Miami...they thought OSU was overrated and didn't have a shot because they won all those close games by being lucky.

I think Florida is an excellent team and very capable of beating the Bucks. I don't expect them to, but I think they can.

Here are some things the Bucks have going for them that will make the difference:

Tressel. Is there a better big-game coach in the nation? 4-1 in bowl games (3-0) in BCS games including always playing well in Arizona.

Troy Smith. Is there a better big game QB in college football? It seems that, like VY last year, he is able to will his team to victory.

Balance. There's simply no weakness for OSU...special teams, offense, defense, coaching, intangibles.

That said, the game still worries me a bit...anything could happen.

Cedric
01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I have to admit that Florida scares me a bit. It's almost like they're the OSU of 2002 and the Bucks are Miami. Everybody was picking Miami...they thought OSU was overrated and didn't have a shot because they won all those close games by being lucky.

I think Florida is an excellent team and very capable of beating the Bucks. I don't expect them to, but I think they can.

Here are some things the Bucks have going for them that will make the difference:

Tressel. Is there a better big-game coach in the nation? 4-1 in bowl games (3-0) in BCS games including always playing well in Arizona.

Troy Smith. Is there a better big game QB in college football? It seems that, like VY last year, he is able to will his team to victory.

Balance. There's simply no weakness for OSU...special teams, offense, defense, coaching, intangibles.

That said, the game still worries me a bit...anything could happen.

Florida lost this year, big difference.

Jim Tressel also hasn't allowed the mentality of the "soldier" and others to take over this team. At least it doesn't seem that way.

GAC
01-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not overlooking Florida one bit.......I'm also taking a vacation day that night (as well as probably 75% of Honda employees) :D

MWM
01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
No one's overlooking Florida. Every "expert" I've seen who's already made their pick has picked Florida. Lou Holtz picked them, Mark May did everything but pick them already because he's saving his pick. And Mark May would resign his position before he ever picked a Big Ten team for any big game. Actually, I think in the OSU-Michigan he picked both teams to lose. I've never seen anyone hate an entire conference as much as he hates the Big Ten.

But I don't think anyone is overlooking Florida. People realize the talent level on the two teams is pretty close and either team is capable of winning.

Red Leader
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I'll say it. Florida has no chance in hell of winning this game. None. Well, unless they kidnap Troy Smith a la Dan Marino in Ace Ventura. You can say I'm overlooking Florida if you want, I just don't think they're very good. They've got speed, but what good is speed if you can't tackle, or if your QB is on his back and can't get you the ball. Heavy mismatches on both sides of the ball in favor of Ohio State. I don't think this one will be close beyond mid-2nd quarter.

Final Score prediction: Ohio State 38 Florida 17

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/65/Movies_ace_ventura_dan_marino.jpg

Gainesville Red
01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
What makes you think they can't tackle?

Red Leader
01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
What makes you think they can't tackle?

Gator's have real short arms :dunno:

http://www.weeksbay.org/images/08-07-04/American%20Alligator.jpg

Gainesville Red
01-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Gator's have real short arms :dunno:

As opposed to the long arms on a buckeye?

Red Leader
01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
As opposed to the long arms on a buckeye?

Yeah, and they always tackle in bunches.

http://www.chrisglass.com/photos/thanksgiving04/images/buckeyes.jpg

Psssssst (Gainesville Red--I'm on your side--shhhhh!)

If you can't tell already, I was attempting to put the goocher on Ohio State by saying there's no way that Florida could win (hence, the result would be, a Florida win). But then you had to come in and question something I said and foil my master plan. Nice. Don't blame me if Florida loses now. :p: :cool: :laugh:

Buckeye33
01-05-2007, 02:06 PM
God the speed thing is just amazing to me. Ohio State is an NFL factory. Makes no sense to bring it up.

I agree totally. I would agree with the "Florida speed" crap if this was 1998 or something. The year OSU got crushed by Florida St., there was a difference in speed. Now, OSU is just as fast as any other team in the nation overall.

I'm actually glad that every media member is yapping about how much faster Florida is, that only gives Tressel another motivational tool to use, and boy is he good at having his teams ready to play the big games.

Gainesville Red
01-05-2007, 02:07 PM
You won't have to take the blame if they lose. Down here they always put it on Leak, and oddly, still, much of it is placed on Zook.

max venable
01-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I've been doing some reading... Holy smokes, I didn't realize Florida's place-kicking game was so horrible. That could be HUGE in a game like this. Huge advantage to the Buckeyes there.

Florida's place-kicker, Chris Hetland, has missed nine of 13 field-goal attempts. His longest successful kick has been from 33 yards. He's just 1-of-7from beyond 29 yards this season. Yikes.

Go Bucks!

Gainesville Red
01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
And it's really odd, because he was pretty good last year. Former walk-on, earned a scholarship, can't kick anymore.

max venable
01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Intersesting:

http://ee.dispatch.com/Repository2/TCD/2007/01/05/4/Img/Ar0040400.gif

If the Bucks win, Tressel passes Meyer.

KronoRed
01-05-2007, 03:07 PM
And it's really odd, because he was pretty good last year. Former walk-on, earned a scholarship, can't kick anymore.

FG's are for suckers.

He's great on XP's :D

Spring~Fields
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I have to admit that Florida scares me a bit.

They worry me too.

Just look what happened to rematch-Michigan and Notre Dame when they went hunting for bear recently, they got eaten alive right after the coin toss.

Maybe we better break out the long layoff excuses just in case? :devil:

MWM
01-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I'll say it. Florida has no chance in hell of winning this game.

Nice try, RL. That only works when I do it.

BTW, most of the stuff you're saying about Florida is what I thought about USC from watching them throughout the year. Things change when you have a month to prepare for a game.

GAC
01-06-2007, 03:56 AM
Good article on Tressel....

http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2007/01/05/20070105-A1-02.html

Tressel’s way transforms OSU into ‘model program’

Friday, January 05, 2007
Ken Gordon
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Antonio Smith couldn’t contain his excitement.

The Ohio State cornerback was about to score after intercepting a Penn State pass on Oct. 23. The fifth-year senior walk-on from Beechcroft High School had seen little playing time in previous seasons, and now 105,000 fans were roaring for him.

On his final few strides to the end zone, Smith’s legs kicked out and up a bit more than usual — nothing flagrant, just a small sign of his joy.

The display did not go unnoticed by coach Jim Tressel.

"I thought I saw a little high step by Antonio," he said. "We talk a lot about handing the ball to the official and find the other 10 guys that made it possible and celebrate with them, and apparently we’ve got to get better at that.

"I’d like to think that we’d learn from that, and that won’t ever happen again."

It hasn’t. Showboating and look-at-me celebrations are everywhere in the NFL and college football these days, such as during Monday’s Rose Bowl when Dwayne Jarrett of Southern California pointed at a Michigan defender as he crossed the goal line.

But it’s not tolerated by Tressel, who at age 54 and in his sixth year at OSU, appears to have his program exactly where he wants it: winning, and doing it with class.

"It’s that type of thing that tells me that, culturally, within the program, we’ve arrived," said Ohio State Athletics Director Gene Smith.

Tressel’s 12-0 Buckeyes are preparing to play Florida in the national championship game Monday in Glendale, Ariz. If OSU wins, it will be the school’s second title in five years. The only other OSU coach to do that was Woody Hayes, in 1954 and 1957, and he won only one more in his final 21 seasons.

Tressel is 62-13 as Buckeyes coach. That winning percentage (.827) is the best in school history, better than Hayes’ .761. Tressel is 5-1 against Michigan, 4-1 in bowl games and is poised to lead OSU to its fourth top-five national ranking in six years.

So it’s no longer sacrilegious to suggest that Tressel is as good a coach as Hayes.

"No, I don’t think it is," said former OSU running back Archie Griffin, who won two Heisman trophies under Hayes. "Jim Tressel has done a terrific job. All you have to do is look before 2002 at how long it took us to win a national title."

(Ohio State had gone 34 years since winning the title in 1968.)

"That’s tough to do, and to be there twice in five years, that’s pretty special," Griffin said of the title appearances.

But it’s not just what people see on the field. It’s also what they no longer see off the field.

Tressel inherited a program in turmoil in January 2001. One player sued another over a fight in practice. Another player called out a team captain for poor leadership. Another was ineligible for a bowl game because he posted a 0.0 gradepoint average in the fall quarter.

Tressel had no magical quick fix. In his first four-plus years, his players faced criminal charges in 19 incidents. Louis Irizarry served prison time for robbery. Jonathan Skeete was convicted for dealing marijuana.

The NCAA investigated former running back Maurice Clarett’s allegations of receiving money and cars from boosters, and quarterback Troy Smith’s acceptance of money from a booster.

Other than the Smith violation, the NCAA found nothing amiss. But when three players got into trouble with the law in the spring of 2005, Tressel put his foot down.

He convened a panel of seniors to face the news media and talk about the problems, and he made the seniors responsible for policing their teammates.

"That was a huge, innovative move on his part," Gene Smith said. "Basically, he was putting the accountability in the locker room, which is a critical piece, so players police themselves."

In the 19 months since then, one player has been arrested: Alex Boone, for drunken driving.

"I think (Tressel) has the model program right now," Florida coach Urban Meyer said. "You don’t hear Ohio State now having all the issues off the field. I think they did early, but you don’t hear it now."

Tressel recruited Irizarry, Clarett and some of the others who ran into trouble. In recent years, though, Tressel has tried to sign players who can upgrade the character of his team.

OSU’s academic standards have risen in recent years. That, coupled with Tressel’s bad past experiences, may have forced him to change who he recruits.

"You always recruit with a lot of thoughts in mind," Tressel said, "one of which is, ‘Who’s the kind of person that can handle this monster that is Ohio State football, with all the visibility and that type of thing?’ "

When Tressel was hired from Youngstown State, some questioned whether a coach without Division I-A head-coaching experience could recruit and win at that level.

YSU Athletics Director Ron Strollo, who played tight end for Tressel from 1988-91, chuckled at the notion.

"The kids are not really all that different at that level, and he’s always been able to relate to kids," Strollo said. "Now he has lots of options in recruiting, and what he might do is, instead of taking the top tight end in the nation, he’ll take the secondbest tight end who’s a good kid, and he might turn out to be the better player in the long run."

Kicker Aaron Pettrey said Tressel "wants to see what kind of person you are before he starts recruiting you. I’d say he recruits people, not players."

Tressel strives to create a certain culture on his team, an all-for-one, one-for-all feeling, with no prima donnas.

His players now unfailingly credit teammates rather than themselves.

"There aren’t any egos on this team, so that allows you to improve a lot more," receiver Anthony Gonzalez said. "People aren’t sitting there telling themselves how great they are. It makes it fun when you don’t have to deal with egos, and that’s how it is right now."

Tressel calls this trait "that ability of a team to care for one another from top to bottom, side to side and all be pulling the oars in the same direction. I think that is one of the components that make up an excellent team."

Academics are a priority, as well. Because the title game will force players to miss about six days of classes, Tressel summoned several members of the team’s academic-support staff to Arizona.

Last quarter, 23 OSU players earned All-Big Ten academic honors, the most in the league.

Griffin, president of the OSU Alumni Association, said that when Tressel travels, he calls the alumni office in advance, so it can ask the local chapter whether Tressel should stop by.

"For us, he’s been absolutely fantastic," Griffin said.

The convergence of wins, character, grades and homage to the past has thrilled Gene Smith, who last summer gave Tressel a new five-year contract worth about $2.5 million a year through 2011.

Smith said, "The program is in great shape, no doubt."

Some fans assume that to win consistently at the highest level, coaches make trade-offs, taking chances on borderline kids, bending rules or seeking ways to boost grades.

Tressel is aware of the perception, but he rejects its blackand-white simplicity. Sitting on the verge of his second national title in five years, this time with players thoroughly indoctrinated into his system, he thinks he can have it all.

"Character development and what young people become by having experienced the collegiate athletic scene, that’s what’s most important," Tressel said. "Are wins and losses irrelevant? No, we all know that, but (what is) more important? Character development.

"But the harder I work on the whole person, interestingly enough, the more games we win."

Spring~Fields
01-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Looks like Ohio State and Ohio are represented well on both sides of the field, one could almost say that true Ohio State fans cannot lose this game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AiYk9eMXgfImj5EzzkX1AFEcvrYF?slug=ap-t25-bcschampionship&prov=ap&type=lgns

Similar roots and different paths led Meyer and Tressel to coaching stardom

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer
January 6, 2007
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Jim Tressel spent 15 years in Division I-AA before finally convincing Ohio State to give him the coaching job he coveted most.
Urban Meyer took the fast track to the top of his profession, going from first-time head coach at Bowling Green to $2-million-a-year man at Florida in about a third of the time Tressel spent at Youngstown State.

Much has been made of the similarities between the coaches of the top-ranked Buckeyes (12-0) and No. 2 Gators (12-1) as they prepare for the BCS national championship game Monday night, two Ohio natives with deep Buckeyes roots.

They share a mentor, an obsession for detail and a passion for special teams. They talk about a team being a family and players being accountable for making that family flourish.

Over the last six seasons, few college coaches have had more success than Meyer, who is 60-12 in that time, and Tressel, who is 62-13. Both make over $2 million per year.

"I think what they have in common is they're both good teachers on the field, they're leaders because they lead by example," said Earle Bruce, the former Ohio State and Colorado State coach who had both Tressel and Meyer as assistants. "Most certainly they're the guys in charge on the field."

But their paths to stardom and their first head-to-head meeting in Glendale have been quite different.

The 42-year-old Meyer is tall, dark and handsome, still built like the college football player and minor league baseball player he once was. Smiles don't seem to come easy for him. Intensity does.

"I think Urban is much more emotional than Jim," Bruce said Friday. "We always think of Jim as being very calm, collected and in charge of his emotions."

Meyer rooted for Ohio State growing up in Ashtabula in northeast Ohio. He still has buckeyes and a picture of former Ohio State coaching great Woody Hayes in his home. His first college coaching job was as a graduate assistant under Bruce in 1986.

In two years in Columbus, Meyer got a taste of big-time college football that became the foundation for his career.

"I get to Ohio State and meet Earle Bruce and watch the way things are done and got a piece of that tradition," Meyer said. "Everything we do ties into building tradition. The Gator Walk. Singing the fight song with the student body. All those types of things I learned first at Ohio State."

Florida targeted Meyer in 2004 as he was leading Utah to an unbeaten season. So did Notre Dame. He had quickly risen to the top of the charts among young coaches by engineering rapid turnarounds at Bowling Green, where he went 17-6 in 2001-02, and with the Utes, who 22 won games in his two seasons.

"The biggest thing I learned, and it is an offshoot of the guys I worked for, Lou Holtz, Bob Davie, Earle Bruce, is that the head coach's job is to get involved in every aspect of the program and turn it over to no one," Meyer said Friday during media day at University of Phoenix Stadium. "Ultimately, it is your responsibility."

Meyer surprised many by turning down Notre Dame because he had been an assistant in South Bend and his contract with Utah had a clause that would've allowed him to opt out to coach the Fighting Irish. He took over a Florida program in need of a new direction. The Gators were a talented but undisciplined group.

"I think (Meyer) just made all the guys really accountable for one another," Florida quarterback Chris Leak said. "He really stressed teamwork and what it takes to be a championship team of guys coming together and working hard in the offseason and growing as a family."

Leak and the Gators have blossomed in two years under Meyer and will play for the school's second national title Monday.
The 54-year-old Tressel, with his trademark sweater vests and silver hair parted to the side, has the look of a man who would scold his players for leaving a messy locker room behind after practice -- which he does.

"He thinks there is a direct correlation to how you act off the field and how you perform on the field," Ohio State defensive tackle David Patterson said. "The more we are respectful to the people at our hotel, the more our grades are taken care, the more we are courteous in cleaning up our locker room at the end of a day's practice, he thinks those little things have a direct effect on how we play on the field.

"I believe him because it's working for us."
The son of a football coach, his father, Lee, won a Division III title with Baldwin-Wallace, Tressel had been running backs and receivers coach under Bruce at Ohio State from 1983-85.

Tressel left in 1986 -- the same year Bruce hired Meyer as a graduate assistant -- for Youngstown State. And there he stayed, even becoming athletic director for a while.

"You know, those years in Youngstown really helped me understand how much impact a good football program can have," he said. "That was a great learning time for me."

He landed his dream job with the Buckeyes in 2001 by winning over then-athletic director Andy Geiger and beating out the other top candidate, former Ohio State player Glen Mason, who was fired by Minnesota last week.

"Ohio State didn't really come to me," said Tressel, who won four national championships at Youngstown State. "I called Ohio State in this particular case."

The Buckeyes were wise to pick up. Tressel has gone 5-1 against Michigan, won his last four bowl games and established himself as maybe the best big-game coach in the country -- with another chance to prove it on Monday against Meyer.

Spring~Fields
01-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Good article on Tressel....

http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2007/01/05/20070105-A1-02.html

OSUís academic standards have risen in recent years. That, coupled with Tresselís bad past experiences, may have forced him to change who he recruits.

Academics are a priority, as well. Because the title game will force players to miss about six days of classes, Tressel summoned several members of the teamís academic-support staff to Arizona.

Last quarter, 23 OSU players earned All-Big Ten academic honors, the most in the league.

Sounds good

max venable
01-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Just for fun:

http://ee.dispatch.com/Repository2/TCD/2007/01/07/39/Img/Ar0390300.gifhttp://ee.dispatch.com/Repository2/TCD/2007/01/07/39/Img/Ar0390200.gif

Which roster would you rather have between these two?

Blimpie
01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Because there has been some discussion about "team speed" in this thread, I was curious about the Florida pro player breakdown by position. Assuming the two positions that are most indicative of that trait are DB and WR:

DB=7
WR=6

For the Buckeyes in the NFL, the same comparison shows:

DB=9 (albeit many are safeties, not corners)
WR=6

You'd have to give the nod to OSU at this juncture on sheer numbers.

Caseyfan21
01-08-2007, 02:40 AM
I am out here in Phoenix and back from a long day out and about. We hit up the OSU pep rally today that was held at Chase Field. They counted the number of people that came through the turnstiles and it was 37,000! That's more than any D-Backs game I attended this summer. :)

It's been great to see the amount of Bucks fans out here. Mill Ave. in Tempe has had a strong resemblance to High St. when we were out this afternoon. I'd say the breakdown has been about 3/4 Bucks fans and 1/4 Gator fans so far. Also, the merchandise tents in Tempe have been running out of several Buckeye collectibles. The OSU support has been remarkable and I only hope that many people have also gotten tickets to the game.

I had the chance to visit a friend at the team hotel up in Scottsdale tonight. That hotel is amazing...by far the nicest I have ever seen. Two players share a 500-600 squre foot room. The scenery there is amazing as well. Definately top of the line all the way. Also saw Antonio Smith at the hotel when we were walking around and he didn't have a sling on the arm...he looks good to go.

Definately excited for the game tomorrow. I can't wait to get up to the stadium. We are planning on getting there at 1 so my friends getting student tickets can get theirs early. Probably will hit the tailgates afterwards. Hopefully we can bring home a win to Ohio.

max venable
01-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Definately excited for the game tomorrow. I can't wait to get up to the stadium. We are planning on getting there at 1 so my friends getting student tickets can get theirs early. Probably will hit the tailgates afterwards. Hopefully we can bring home a win to Ohio.

Hopefully? Dude--we're all counting on you! :thumbup:

RedFanAlways1966
01-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Bucks 37 - Gators 17