PDA

View Full Version : Which starter to go after?

jamess697
11-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I was thinking about what pitcher that I would like the Reds to go after. The are no real impact mid tier pitchers that would be a value to really go after in free agency. I think that no matter who we sign (Lilly, Padilla, or Meche) they would be like Milton. So I was looking at possible trades that we could make that would send a quality pitcher without giving up to much in return. I think that Jason Jennings from Colorado would be a huge addition and we wouldn't have to give up a lot to get him. Also I think that Zach Duke of Pittsburgh would be a good young pitcher with huge upside. What do you think?

Tigs
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I like Jennings, but not for a high price.

The Pirates would be CRAZY to trade Duke, especially to a divisional opponent.

My vote is to go after a Detroit Tigers leftover. With starters like Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Verlander, Maroth, Ledezma, and rookie Andrew Miller, who will be in their rotation sooner or later, I would like for us to grab their 6th guy in the rotation. This would be similar to last year's Bronson Arroyo trade because Bronson was the odd-man-out in Boston's rotation. I think the best possibility would be Maroth or Ledezma, unless Adam Dunn is involved.

Topcat
11-22-2006, 02:32 AM

My vote is to go after a Detroit Tigers leftover. With starters like Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Verlander, Maroth, Ledezma, and rookie Andrew Miller, who will be in their rotation sooner or later, I would like for us to grab their 6th guy in the rotation. This would be similar to last year's Bronson Arroyo trade because Bronson was the odd-man-out in Boston's rotation. I think the best possibility would be Maroth or Ledezma, unless Adam Dunn is involved.

You couldn't get Verlander if you offered them arod plus cash I bet.

Spitball
11-22-2006, 06:03 PM

I like the "Arroyo" plan, and I like going for American League pitchers who likely will find National League line-ups easier. However, I'm not sure Maroth, Ledezma, or Miller are good candidates. Maroth has given up 100 homeruns since 2003, and that was pitching his home games in Comerica. Ledezma has pitched well in relief but has yet to show he can start successfully. Miller is not near to being major league ready. Bonderman would be the best bet, but he would likely cost Dunn.

It will be interesting to see if the Angels can sign Zito. That might push Santana or Escobar into an "Arroyo" situation.

Degenerate39
11-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Zito

Tigs
11-22-2006, 06:08 PM
You couldn't get Verlander if you offered them arod plus cash I bet.Yeah I know we will never get him, I only mentioned him to show how much pitching they have.

If we can get Zito, lets do it.

roby
11-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Westbrook from the Indians, Jennings from the Rockies. (Sign Padilla as a free agent). All are extreme/good ground ball pitchers.

Spitball
11-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Zito

Zito is a flyball pitcher and would not fair well at The Great American Ballpark.

http://www.fangraphs.com/

Degenerate39
11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Zito is a flyball pitcher and would not fair well at The Great American Ballpark.

http://www.fangraphs.com/

I wasn't serious anyways. He's way out of our price range

Spitball
11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I wasn't serious anyways. He's way out of our price range

Yep, that too.

Topcat
11-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Offer Padilla Milton money over 4 years. That would be my target free agency wise. He has a realistic upside of Harang.

deltachi8
11-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Offer Padilla Milton money over 4 years. That would be my target free agency wise. He has a realistic upside of Harang.

i like Padilla, but not $8M worth of liking him.

cincy09
11-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Padilla and Wolfe are guys I would target, and maybe Baez as a closer.

mth123
11-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Padilla and Wolfe are guys I would target, and maybe Baez as a closer.

If we go the Free Agent route, Padilla and Wolfe are my choices too.

Newman4
11-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Westbrook from the Indians, Jennings from the Rockies. (Sign Padilla as a free agent). All are extreme/good ground ball pitchers.

I liked Westbrook when the Kearns/Westbrook rumors were going around last year for the reason you noted as well as his somewhat low OPS against.

VI_RedsFan
11-23-2006, 08:30 AM
I would target Westbrook and Lieber for starting pitching by trade (would probably only take prospects). As for a closer, I would make a move for Baez and Borowski. If we were to go the free agency route for a SP, I would keep my eye on Armas, Ohka, Wolf, or even Kip Wells. All are under the radar and could probably be had cheap.

Willy
11-23-2006, 09:37 PM
I would target Westbrook and Lieber for starting pitching by trade (would probably only take prospects). As for a closer, I would make a move for Baez and Borowski. If we were to go the free agency route for a SP, I would keep my eye on Armas, Ohka, Wolf, or even Kip Wells. All are under the radar and could probably be had cheap.

According to rotoworld

Wells would be the much easier sign, but even he might get a multiyear deal in the current climate. Wolf is likely to command in excess of $20 million for three seasons. The Phillies and Diamondbacks appear to have been his top suitors to date.

Even Wolf is looking for $7 million a year:rolleyes:

Highlifeman21
11-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Let's find a way to get the wife-beater to Cincy: Brett Myers.

He might arguably be better than Harang and Arroyo.

It's a shame we just traded LaRue, b/c Philly needs a catcher something fierce.

Betterread
11-23-2006, 10:50 PM
I like Ted Lilly - if his price tag doesn't exceed 7.5 million a year.

thatcoolguy_22
11-23-2006, 11:33 PM
I like Ted Lilly - if his price tag doesn't exceed 7.5 million a year.

I like your mom on a bed of wheaties boxes. Trust me I have a very adroit eye for fine things...

Side note-

I would love to see us chasing down Wolfe just because of the groundball affect... Also I still believe that there are possibilities for us chasing a bonderman or maroth or possibly even a willis with the proper packaging. The marlins will not be able to keep willis when his contract is up and they have a penchant for giving away players for minor league prospects. Homer Bailey and Joey Votto mixed in with someone such as a denorfia would work wonders in taking willis from their grasp while also picking up a mid tier prospect from their organization. The tigers would love to have Dunn. thats the end story

EvansvilleReds
11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
I like all those ideas ... a Dunn package to Detroit or Florida ... we'd get pitching and lose Adam's strikeouts and lousy RISP average.

How-ev-uh, you'd still have a power void in the lineup that would have to be filled. Geoff Jenkins?

Redsfan08
11-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Bonderman:thumbup:

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Lilly's career has been way too rocky to give a LTC to. Zito, though much more expensive, would be a much safer bet.

mth123
11-24-2006, 08:33 AM
If we go the Free Agent route, Padilla and Wolfe are my choices too.

I actually prefer the trade route with Jason Jennings, Kevin Correia, Wil Ledezma, Aaron Heilman and Horacio Ramirez as targets in order of preference.

Freel, Lohse, Majewski and Cormier would be my primary trade bait off the major league roster.

For Jennings I would include Travis Wood with any offer. I would only sweeten with lesser minor leaguers for the rest. Colorado is looking for a CF to lead-off and LH relief. Freel, Cormier and Wood for Jennings? They could have a Pelland or Coutlangus if they want.

For Correia? SF is also looking for a lead-off CF. Freel for Correia? I'd also like Scott Munter or Merkin Valdez for the pen if Freel is too much for Correia straight-up. The Reds could throw in a suspect like Dumatrait or Olmedo.

Not sure what it would take to get Ledezma. Detroit isn't a good match for Cincy in a minor deal IMO.

Heilman may be too expensive in terms of talent. He is reportedly in demand.
I thought earlier that Lohse for the NY rotation and Majewski for the pen might get him, but they seem to have better offers in the rumor mill.

The Braves are looking to dump Ramirez and they want a lead-off guy. If they thought Freel could play 2B they may bite and then trade Giles for the help in the pen.

If the Reds make a Freel deal, I'd like to see them go after Jay Payton as a 4th OF. I promise 400 ABs if I have to.

Krusty
11-24-2006, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds try to sign RHP Adam Eaton. He has the potential to be a solid number 3 starter if he can stay away from the injuries.

TheWalls
11-24-2006, 10:22 AM

I agree. This is also how we got Harang. A's couldn't find him a slot with Hudson, Zito, Mulder et al. in the rotation at the time.