PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1st base partner for Hatte

fewfirstchoice
11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Do any of you guys think maybe Javy Lopez or Cliff Floyd could play first or would want to for the Reds in 07.I think there offense would help the club greatly.But there defense may hurt it just as much.I think it may help both stay healthy and be able to play in more games.What do ya think.

jamess697
11-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Both guys cost too much and besides these guys are too old!

Patpacillosjock
11-21-2006, 05:39 PM
can anyone post an updated FA list? i am too busy at work to look it up

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Do any of you guys think maybe Javy Lopez or Cliff Floyd could play first or would want to for the Reds in 07.I think there offense would help the club greatly.But there defense may hurt it just as much.I think it may help both stay healthy and be able to play in more games.What do ya think.

Lopez will want too much money and wouldn't want to be a platoon partner. Obviously he's also too old, and has a declining skill set.

Cliff Floyd quite possibly is the most often injured player in the game. I would want him to play 1B as much as I would want EE to be our closer.

reds44
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Eduardo Perez.

Patpacillosjock
11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Eduardo Perez.

I like Trot Nixon still. yes he hasnt been the same player since he got off the roids but if he can play some first base, I'd love him to platoon.

RedsManRick
11-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Cliff Floyd can't hit lefties either and Javy Lopez can't play 1B. My vote is for Craig Wilson who has put up a .272/.378/.497 vL the last 3 years and would be a great bat to have off the bench or as an injury sub in right or left field. Perfect fit in my opinion.

PuffyPig
11-21-2006, 06:06 PM
The LH hitting Floyd would be a poor platoon partner with the LH hitting Hatteberg.

Both would play vs. RH pitching, and both would sit vs. LH pitching.

It would be KAOS.

Tigs
11-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Kevin Millar anyone?

Patpacillosjock
11-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Kevin Millar anyone?

i'd do that in a heartbeat. his big swing would do well in GABP but we'd have to live with the strikeouts.

jmac
11-21-2006, 06:19 PM
i'd go millar first and then wilson as a 2nd option.
both are similar but millar being another ex-bosox could help BA incorporate some of that winners mentality in the reds.

tomred
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
how about Craig Wilson

Strikes Out Looking
11-21-2006, 07:00 PM
i'd do that in a heartbeat. his big swing would do well in GABP but we'd have to live with the strikeouts.

I think we could learn to live with another batter that strikes out.

redsfan4445
11-21-2006, 07:03 PM
1) Craig Wilson, 2) Eduardo Perez in that order!

Degenerate39
11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
1) Craig Wilson, 2) Eduardo Perez in that order!

My thoughts exactly

redsmetz
11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I like the thought of Eduardo Perez returning. He think he's a solid bench guy, has history with the team (both with his family and as a player).

Handofdeath
11-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I would sign Craig Wilson. He might actually make a decent corner outfielder as well.

Chip R
11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I like Wilson too but I'm guessing he's not Wayne's kind of guy. The Pirates never seemed too high on him no matter how well he hit. They seemed to feel that he lacked that certain intangible to be a regular for them. I know the term has become somewhat of a joke around here but maybe he's not scrappy enough for the Bucs - and I would guess Wayne too since they seem to share that same kind of mentality when looking for players.

RedLegSuperStar
11-21-2006, 07:52 PM
this from Rotoworld.com:

The Reds talked with Rich Aurilia's agent as recently as the weekend, but it's doubtful that they'll be re-signing him after giving Alex Gonzalez a three-year deal.
With Juan Castro set to act as a utilityman and Ray Olmedo still available, the Reds can focus on adding a first baseman to platoon with the left-handed-hitting Scott Hatteberg. Kevin Millar, Eduardo Perez, Phil Nevin, Craig Wilson and Matthew LeCroy are among the players available.

Mario-Rijo
11-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Craig Wilson 1B/COF - Solid Choice offensively, versatile.
Eduardo Perez 1B - Best Option IMO
Kevin Millar 1B - Too Pricey?
Phil Nevin 1B - Strikeout Prone
Shea Hillenbrand 1B - Chemistry Concern?
Tony Graffinino IF - More of a 2B or 3B option
David Bell CIF - Back Problems have hurt his offense, still a solid choice.
Pedro Feliz IF - Too Pricey, may want more of a full time job.
Aaron Boone IF - Too many hard feelings?
Rich Aurilia IF - Not enough playing time!
Matt Lecroy 1B/(Emergency Catcher, No arm) - Massive Power bat.
Jeff Cirillo CIF - Nothing to comment here.
Dmitri Young - I would think he is a prime candidate to bounce back. If he and Jr can get along.

All guys who could fit that role. I like Eduardo best as he kills LHP with both power and avg. and he would come cheaper than most. Plus he's a good hitter off the bench.

Patpacillosjock
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM
this from Rotoworld.com:
Matthew LeCroy are among the players available.[/B]

crap. well guess we know who WK's gonna sign this off-season:bang:

RedLegSuperStar
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I think Craig Wilson or Phil Nevin would be decent signings. We're looking for power in this line-up and I think these two would mesh well in GABP.

RedLegSuperStar
11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
crap. well guess we know who WK's gonna sign this off-season:bang:

Yes.. we get it... Wayne loves senior citizens!

Highlifeman21
11-21-2006, 08:24 PM

And Ex-Twins.

He thought he probably won the lottery when he traded for EG. He got the best of both worlds. Old, and a former Twin. Dangerous combo.

Patpacillosjock
11-21-2006, 08:43 PM

I meant that he's an ex Twin.

RedLegSuperStar
11-21-2006, 08:44 PM
And Ex-Twins.

He thought he probably won the lottery when he traded for EG. He got the best of both worlds. Old, and a former Twin. Dangerous combo.

Then we have to weigh the fact that look at where Every Day Eddie is right now. The older the player the less production you are going to get from them. Or you're going to get everything they have for 2 months and then have them cash a check on the DL.

I like Wayne's effort to improve this team and I have to give him credit for the Gonzalez signing and the LaRue trade. Last year he worked his magic with acquiring/signing Phillips, Ross, Arroyo, Hatteberg, and Shoenewies. Many have voiced their opinion on the Gonzales signing but the way I look at it is we keep Phillips at 2nd which he played great at last season and we get maybe the best middle infield in the NL. With the LaRue deal.. I've read countless times where we have asked Wayne to dump him for next to nothing. Almost every mock trade proposal we have had has had LaRue or Dunn in them. Once he gets dealt it seems to become a different tune. Sure I hear that no money is involved and then I hear 2.5 million is involved but none the less we now have 2 catchers.. 3 if you want to include Hatteberg.. and we have a spot open for a Votto, Denorfia, Hopper, Harris, or free agent. No reason to have 3 catchers and if it cost us LaRue who didn't want to be a back up and vented his frustration then so be it. We all know Wayne isn't done.. not with almost 3 months til spring training remaining. I hope he shocks us RedsZoners with a big name.

I do live in a bubble

BigRed
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
I would love for it to be Eduardo Perez. For selfish reasons (Tony's son) and because he crushes lefties, which is what his job would be. Great guy in the clubhouse and would not cost us an arm and a leg. If not Perez, I look at Craig Wilson and Kevin Millar depending upon $.

TheWalls
11-21-2006, 09:11 PM
i'd go millar first and then wilson as a 2nd option.
both are similar but millar being another ex-bosox could help BA incorporate some of that winners mentality in the reds.

AMEN ! Preach on!

Redus
11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
how about Craig Wilson

:thumbup: yes...what u said! :beerme:

marcshoe
11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Kevin Millar anyone?

The idea of picking him up has been in my head since the season ended. I keep hearing he's going back to Boston, but it hasn't happened yet. He's 35, but he didn't have a bad season at all last year. As jmac said, I'd take him or Wilson either one.

deltachi8
11-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Wilson

goreds2
11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I like the thought of Eduardo Perez returning. He think he's a solid bench guy, has history with the team (both with his family and as a player).

Also, a great clubhouse guy.

Will M
11-21-2006, 10:46 PM
i like Wilson because he can play the outfield. if Votto arrives then Wilson can play some in the outfield. Perez can only play 1B. and i believe Millar is a poor outfielder defensively.

mth123
11-21-2006, 10:52 PM
i like Wilson because he can play the outfield. if Votto arrives then Wilson can play some in the outfield. Perez can only play 1B. and i believe Millar is a poor outfielder defensively.

Wilson's no better OF than either of them and a worse defender at 1b. But I like his bat the best. He'd immediately be the 3rd best hitter on the team behind Dunn and EE. I'd sign him and give him the everyday job. Hat can play against tough RH and Pinch hit.

I'm ok with Perez or Millar in a platoon.

IslandRed
11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I like Wilson. If he wants to come here on a one-year deal to play less than full-time, great, but I suspect he'll get a better offer. For the type of player we're looking for -- platoon partner, pinch-hitter, stopgap until Votto arrives -- I don't think I'd want to go multiple years. Perez and McCroy are probably the type of guy we'll sign and I'm OK with that.

Krusty
11-22-2006, 10:27 AM
I would love for it to be Eduardo Perez. For selfish reasons (Tony's son) and because he crushes lefties, which is what his job would be. Great guy in the clubhouse and would not cost us an arm and a leg. If not Perez, I look at Craig Wilson and Kevin Millar depending upon $.

Seems like Perez and the Reds would be a marriage made for each other.

asboog
11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I think Craig Wilson or Phil Nevin would be decent signings. We're looking for power in this line-up and I think these two would mesh well in GABP.

I wouldn't touch Nevin with a ten foot pole. He is an awful team mate to have and he isn't worth the $

asboog
11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
What about a guy like Shea Hillenbrand? He isn't the greats club house guy i guess but his bat is pretty good. Not sure if he could handle part time though.

Highlifeman21
11-22-2006, 02:51 PM
What about a guy like Shea Hillenbrand? He isn't the greats club house guy i guess but his bat is pretty good. Not sure if he could handle part time though.

So great his manager got into a fist fight with him and had him immediately traded to the Giants....

He'd play everyday over Hatteberg, IMO.

Edd Roush
11-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Cliff Floyd can't hit lefties either and Javy Lopez can't play 1B. My vote is for Craig Wilson who has put up a .272/.378/.497 vL the last 3 years and would be a great bat to have off the bench or as an injury sub in right or left field. Perfect fit in my opinion.

Amen, I like your statistical analysis here, Rick. Any one who is going to OPS .875 against lefties over the last three years is welcome on my time. I believe Wilson would actually be a solid in our lineup. Give Wilson what he wants for two years and don't mess around. Wilson also gives us versatility with the ability to play catcher and outfield as well. He also would be our top bat off the bench if we signed up. I'm officially in the go out and sign Craig Wilson camp.

I believe that if we can sign Wilson, Jennings and Baez we will have a team that will be built for a solid pennant chase.

klw
11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
What about seeing if KC is willing to dump Mike Sweeney's contract? I believe 2007 is the last year though I have no idea how high the $ are. Last year it was $11mil.

Edd Roush
11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
What about seeing if KC is willing to dump Mike Sweeney's contract? I believe 2007 is the last year though I have no idea how high the $ are. Last year it was $11mil.

There is no way I'd want to go out and trade what few trading chips we have for an oft-injured, declining first baseman. Give me Wilson.

NJReds
11-22-2006, 03:41 PM

I'd rather get Huber back as the PTBNL in the LaRue deal.

PuffyPig
11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I believe that if we can sign Wilson, Jennings and Baez we will have a team that will be built for a solid pennant chase.

I like those 3 players, though Jennings is not a FA. He would be very expensive to get in a trade.

Mario-Rijo
11-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by klw

I would take Sweeney under the right circumstances, unfortunately K.C. isn't going to deal him under those particular circumstances. ;)

Edd Roush
11-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I like those 3 players, though Jennings is not a FA. He would be very expensive to get in a trade.

My mistake. I remember reading a thread a few days back about Jennings and his being undervalued, I guess I assumed he was a free agent. Sell high and buy low.

I wonder what kind of package the Rockies would be looking for Jennings?

Willy
11-23-2006, 10:33 PM
David Bell's #'s against lefty's the last three years.
BA OBP SLg OPS
328 .393 .478 .871

Not saying he is my first choice, but I think he needs to be talked about. Cincy Kid, and could also play some third.

Will M
11-30-2006, 05:38 PM
One name I haven't heard mentioned is Mike Piazza. Obviously he can still hit.
How bad was he (in the field ) during the 1B experiment a couple of years ago?

TeamSelig
11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
My order:

1) Craig Wilson
2) Matt Lecroy
3) Eduardo Perez

Tigs
11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Is Aubrey Huff too far out of our price range? I have not heard much talk about him. I would sign him for the right price. Not only can he play firstbase, he can play third and the corner outfield spots as well. What do you guys think?

jojo
12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Is Aubrey Huff too far out of our price range? I have not heard much talk about him. I would sign him for the right price. Not only can he play firstbase, he can play third and the corner outfield spots as well. What do you guys think?

First for those who like Millar, you can follow him nightly by listening to Orioles broadcasts next season-he signed with them for 1 year at $2.75M with an option for '08.

Aubrey Huff's best position is probably first base. But if you sign him, why have Hatteberg around? Huff isn't really a platooner at the salary he'll get and he probably wouldn't settle for siging into a situation like that because someone will offer him a full time job. But importantly, if you do favor an expensive platoon at first and you could convince him to sign, Huff wouldn't be a good fit anyway because his lefty/righty splits basically mirror Hatteberg's-both struggle against lefties.

I'd personally would run as far away from Huff as possible. The time to have got in on the Huff stock would've been pre '04. In '04 he had a VORP of 40. Since then he hasn't been better than a single win over replacement in any year offensively. He can play a corner outfield position, third or first. But really he plays none of them well with the exception of probably first. I don't get the reports that the Astros would rather resign Huff and jettison Ensberg... Makes NO sense to me.

Huff is a better hitter than Hatteberg but that's not the point of a platoon. Last year, Huff's VORP was roughly 8 (between Tampa and Houston). Hattberg-used properly in a platoon-had a good year with VORP of 17 last season (it might surprise some that his VORP isn't higher but roughly two wins from his bat was icing on the cake). I suppose Huff's VORP would be better if he was used similarly but, is Huff going to be better enough to justify the difference between his $6M and Hatteberg's $1.75M?

I agree with those who see Perez as a best option. The splits are perfect complements. Also, Perez would be cheap and only a single year commitment. Perfect criteria when you're trying to squeeze more blood from a turnip for roughly another year as you anticipate Votto continuing to develop like the huge step he took last season in a notorious pitcher's league. Frankly, if Votto does progress, why would you want Huff around in '08?

gm
12-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Matt Lecroy 1B/(Emergency Catcher, No arm) - Massive Power bat

Checked his splits earlier this week, .939 OPS versus southpaws. Not bad

jojo
12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Checked his splits earlier this week, .939 OPS versus southpaws. Not bad

But how would you pry him from Bowden's evil clutches? Last year, a couple relief arms cost the Reds two position players and they still had to take Clayton... :cool:

I think he owes the Reds Lecroy for Maj's arm troubles.....

cincinnati chili
12-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Jeff Cirillo CIF - Nothing to comment here..

Why not? First of all, he's decent at 3B and 1B, and can play 2B and ss in an emergency (15 games combined at the two positions last year

Here's what he did against lefties in '06:
.413 average
.451 obp
.493 slugging
.945 ops

and in '05
.400 average
.484 obp
.636 slugging
1.120 ops

Chip R
12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
One name I haven't heard mentioned is Mike Piazza. Obviously he can still hit.
How bad was he (in the field ) during the 1B experiment a couple of years ago?

Bad enough that he was moved back to catcher.