PDA

View Full Version : Is there a chance?

asboog
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM
I am not sure what your guys closer situation is (did you re-sign Guardardo?). If not you think that the Reds so go after Gagne with an incentive laden deal? If you could sign him low with a lot of incentives then maybe it would be worth the risk? What are your thoughts?

joshnky
11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I am not sure what your guys closer situation is (did you re-sign Guardardo?). If not you think that the Reds so go after Gagne with an incentive laden deal? If you could sign him low with a lot of incentives then maybe it would be worth the risk? What are your thoughts?

I believe he is said to be looking for a one year deal at 10 mill. No way we should touch him at the price. Something like Kerry Wood signed would be more reasonable but Boras is claiming he can get the above figure.

asboog
11-22-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't think any gm in there right mind would touch him for that price on a one year deal. Maybe if the incentives would add up to that but not guaranteed. Typical Bora$.

Krusty
11-22-2006, 10:30 AM
I posted the same thing. If you offered an incentive-based contract that would equal to the 8 million with the Dodgers and a club option of $10 million in 2008, would it be worth it considering the scarcity of closers out there?

joshnky
11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
I posted the same thing. If you offered an incentive-based contract that would equal to the 8 million with the Dodgers and a club option of $10 million in 2008, would it be worth it considering the scarcity of closers out there?

Probably, depending on the base salary. But Scott Boras is claiming he can get that deal without it being incentive laden. There is now way we should sign him for greater than 1-2 million guaranteed. If he reaches incentives and performs as he did prior to the injury (seems unlikely) I wouldn' mind paying him 8-10 million after incentives.

Shaggy Sanchez
11-22-2006, 10:36 AM
This team is so far from needing a closer it really doesn't even matter. At this point we only have 2 starters that give us an opportunity to use a closer and now they have to be even better since we don't exactly have an offense to score any runs. I think finding a closer should be the last priority for the Reds right now.

asboog
11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe Dustin Hermanson is more up the Reds alley he has had back trouble as well but he won't command the $ that Gagne does. He might be worth the risk too if you guys could sign him to an incentive laden deal. I don't know though because he was talking about retiring this year because of injuries. Just some thoughts to throw out there.

maniem
11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I still say the Reds should take a flyer on Scott Williamson. He could be had for relatively cheap, and he'll be one more year removed from TJ surgery. He has the stuff to be a very good closer. But can he stay healthy?

Krusty
11-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I still say the Reds should take a flyer on Scott Williamson. He could be had for relatively cheap, and he'll be one more year removed from TJ surgery. He has the stuff to be a very good closer. But can he stay healthy?

IMO, Williamson's best days are behind him.

dunner13
11-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Every team in baseball would be willing to give gagne a guaranteed 2 mill, I bet he gets at least 6 mill guaranteed. To much for us and as a boras client im sure he wants to go to a big market team. Hermanson or williamson would be nice pickups and we could always just hand the job to bray.

Willy
11-22-2006, 11:00 AM

The real question is can he throw strikes.

Nothing like having a three run lead in the 9th and your closer walks the first two guys he faces.

cincy09
11-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Too many other holes to fill before we can even consider throwing big money to a closer, much less one whose arm may fall off.

red-in-la
11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Would you have been willing to sign Rob Dibble after he hurt his arm? If you give Gagne money you may as well throw it in the fireplace.....he is now a batting practice pitcher.

joshnky
11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Would you have been willing to sign Rob Dibble after he hurt his arm? If you give Gagne money you may as well throw it in the fireplace.....he is now a batting practice pitcher.

Well, some of our guys do need extra batting practice.

Redus
11-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Gagne minus the steroids...umm no thanks. He's gonna blow

Casey_21
11-22-2006, 12:09 PM
No thanks on Williamson.. I do enough nail biting.

Z-Fly
11-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Well, some of our guys do need extra batting practice.

:dunn: He doesn't think so.

Will M
11-22-2006, 12:24 PM
This team is so far from needing a closer it really doesn't even matter. At this point we only have 2 starters that give us an opportunity to use a closer and now they have to be even better since we don't exactly have an offense to score any runs. I think finding a closer should be the last priority for the Reds right now.

Agree. We have six decent relievers ( Bray, Coffey, Stanton, Belisle, Cormier & Majik ). I suspect WK got Stanton to be another lefty in the pen because he hopes Bray can be a closer this year.

We need a RH 1rst baseman ( Craig Wilson, Eddie Perez, etc ) and we need to upgrade the rotation. Lohse & Milton are OK as #4 & #5 but not as #3 & #4.