PDA

View Full Version : First base

Kc61
11-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Assuming that the Reds keep Dunn, Griffey, and EE, these are the only real offensive threats in the lineup. With this mix of players, Hatteberg at first base is not ideal. I admire him as a player and don't mean to be negative about him, but it seems they need a middle-of-the-order guy at that position.

Absent a major reshuffling, I assume that Freel, Deno, or some new speedster (or a combo of them) will ultimately wind up in center field. I assume Dunn will be in left and, likely, Griff in right. With Krivsky's emphasis on defense, I would be surprised if Griff is in center next year.

I know about Votto but would be surprised if he is the regular first baseman next year. Some folks have posted about a righty platoon guy, like Craig Wilson. Frankly, in a "win in 2007 scenario" this is not ideal.

If the Reds really want to contend, they should sign or trade for an older first baseman, probably a righty bat, with power. Not a platoon player but a regular. Hatteberg would spell him on occasion and be more of a bench presence next year. This would round out the lineup nicely and, with a short-term deal, leave things for Mr. Votto for the future.

I don't know who this would be, but perhaps others have ideas. Nevin? Millar? Someone via trade?

RedsManRick
11-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Part of the problem is that Votto doesn't exactly tear it up vL either. He basically has shown little power against lefties. Even if Hatty was traded and Votto came up, we'd still likely want a righty platoon guy. Looking at the market, there aren't a ton of world beaters out there and Wilson is actually one of the more balanced hitters (.875 vL, .795 vR).

Kc61
11-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Part of the problem is that Votto doesn't exactly tear it up vL either. He basically has shown little power against lefties. Even if Hatty was traded and Votto came up, we'd still likely want a righty platoon guy. Looking at the market, there aren't a ton of world beaters out there and Wilson is actually one of the more balanced hitters (.875 vL, .795 vR).

Nothing against Wilson, but even the Bucs weren't willing to make him a regular. He strikes out a ton (I know, some people like that) and seems more of a platoon type. Maybe he can start, but it seems a stretch.

Frankly, I had in mind a much more proficient hitter, just can't think of a name. But a starter. (Is Orlando Cepeda available?)

For the middle of the order, I would like to see Griffey, EE, Dunn and X. I would like to see X be someone with a very potent bat. Then you can have Freel/Deno, Phillips, Ross/Javy and Gonzalez in support.

RedsManRick
11-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, here's the list of FA 1B from ESPN.com

Player Age Status Old Team New Team Years Dollars Rank
Jeff Bagwell 38 Free Agent Houston -- NR
Sean Casey 32 Signed Detroit Detroit 1 $4,000,000 NR
Nomar Garciaparra 33 Signed LA Dodgers LA Dodgers 2 $18,500,000 22
Shea Hillenbrand 31 Free Agent San Francisco -- 23
Brian Jordan 39 Free Agent Arizona -- NR
John Mabry 36 Free Agent Chicago Cubs -- NR
Doug Mientkiewicz 32 Free Agent Kansas City -- NR
Kevin Millar 35 Free Agent Baltimore -- NR
Phil Nevin 35 Free Agent Minnesota -- NR
Eduardo Perez 37 Free Agent Seattle -- NR
Todd Walker 33 Free Agent San Diego -- NR
Craig Wilson 29 Free Agent NY Yankees -- NR

See somebody on there who's a better bet than Wilson? Maybe Kevin Millar, but that's a toss up in my book and I'm willing to bet Millar is more expensive. If you want somebody better, you're going to have to trade and I'm not sure that a trade for a 1B is the best use of our resources.

Falls City Beer
11-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Nothing against Wilson, but even the Bucs weren't willing to make him a regular. He strikes out a ton (I know, some people like that) and seems more of a platoon type. Maybe he can start, but it seems a stretch.

Hm. Let's see. The Pirates don't want to make Wilson a starter because he strikes out too much. And yet the Pirates have been, for the last 15 seasons, among the bottom third in league-offense.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with a backwards philosophy viz. offense, could it?

What's interesting about teams that perennially suck is that they wear their flaws on their sleeves for everyone to point out. Trouble is, they don't pay attention--even when better options are right under their nose.

Puffy
11-22-2006, 01:53 PM
If the Reds sign Miechtiweitzhfrwietzxcfnw I am taking my ball and going home. Seriously, no Miechweitzxsdfgjuiomw

Chip R
11-22-2006, 02:03 PM
If the Reds sign Miechtiweitzhfrwietzxcfnw I am taking my ball and going home. Seriously, no Miechweitzxsdfgjuiomw

That's what he'd do. Just ask the Red Sox. ;)

pedro
11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
the nice thing about Wilson is that he could platoon with Hatteberg and play some OF.

NJReds
11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
the nice thing about Wilson is that he could platoon with Hatteberg and play some OF.

And he seems to be off the radar, so he might sign for a reasonable rate.

Hillenbrand seems to be more 'in demand' right now.

Edit: Trot Nixon and Wilson would give some team a real productive, and inexpensive, RF platoon, IMO.

PuffyPig
11-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Wilson would be perfect for our team. He could play first against LH pitchers, and play LF and RF as needed. he'd get 400 AB's and give us an OPS above .800.

I always felt that if you let Wilson get you 500 AB's or so, he'd hit at an above average rate of production.

Heath
11-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Wilson would be perfect for our team. He could play first against LH pitchers, and play LF and RF as needed. he'd get 400 AB's and give us an OPS above .800.

I always felt that if you let Wilson get you 500 AB's or so, he'd hit at an above average rate of production.

On top of that the way the sunlight plays upon his hair would do wonders for the female fan base in Cincinnati. (Well, that's what vaticanplum told me anyway)

Sign Craig Wilson. Now.

pedro
11-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't mind Nixon either.

He could play RF against RH pitching. Dude can't hit lefties though.

Johnny Footstool
11-22-2006, 02:55 PM
On top of that the way the sunlight plays upon his hair would do wonders for the female fan base in Cincinnati. (Well, that's what vaticanplum told me anyway)

Sign Craig Wilson. Now.

I think he sheared his David Lee Roth-esque mane last season.

deltachi8
11-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Sign Wilson and focus the rest (if any) of the dollars on a starter.

PuffyPig
11-22-2006, 03:10 PM

I think there's a mis-spelling here. It should be "Miechtiwietzhfrwietzxcfnw".

Remember, it's "i" before "e" except after "c".

westofyou
11-22-2006, 03:11 PM

A must remember for a guy who is only as good as his "D"

Heath
11-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I think there's a mis-spelling here. It should be "Miechtiwietzhfrwietzxcfnw".

Isn't that the guy in the Bud Light commerical who he pretended to be so he could get the Bud Light in his limo?

Whoops - that was Galacawicheiscseh. Or something.

klw
11-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Any interest in seeing if KC will dump Mike Sweeney? I believe 07 is the last year of his deal.

Heath
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Any interest in seeing if KC will dump Mike Sweeney? I believe 07 is the last year of his deal.

Mike Sweeney for Jason LaRue?

:dunno:

Red Leader
11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
What first baseman are F.A. eligible AFTER the 2007 season that could be traded for this offseason?

PuffyPig
11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Mike Sweeney for Jason LaRue?

:dunno:

If that was the deal, the $$$$ would be flowing to us.

Heath
11-22-2006, 05:41 PM
If that was the deal, the $$$$ would be flowing to us.

Ok - what's Sweeney's number for 2007?

Subtract Jason LaRue's Number for 2007 and should have a difference.

That's what the Royals should do. Plus, toss in the Hatte for good measure.

vaticanplum
11-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Sign Craig Wilson. Now.

Do I love Craig Wilson? Crap, it is tough to keep track of my baseball loves sometimes. It's very possible I mentioned his golden locks at some point. It's also possible that I was confusing him with Rangers pitcher C.J. Wilson, whom I truly do love with all my heart.

In any case I couldn't in good conscience take Wilson over hatteberg, that'd be like accepting a shiny new purebread puppy in exchange for my old and dying but loyal and much-beloved dog (who has actually died by the way) (perhaps this is not the best comparison).

I really think most extra money should go towards pitching at this point and see how the young hitters pan out at least until mid-season, when Hatteberg might be a viable trading option. This is, though, coming from my viewpoint of building towards 2008. If we can improve this year and really focus within the organization, Votto and Bailey will be ready for the majors for ten dollars the next, Harang and Arroyo will still definitely be ours, we'll have Dunn if we want him and $13 million if we don't, and no Milton of course. So I'm kind of an advocate for the skeleton crew offense in 2007 and I think we pretty much have that now. But that's my 2008 mentality and I understand if people don't agree with that.

texasdave
11-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Is there any possibility that David Ross could play first against lefties? He seemed to wear them out in 2006.

Patrick Bateman
11-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Is there any possibility that David Ross could play first against lefties? He seemed to wear them out in 2006.

One problem: that would put Valentine in the line-up vs. lefties. Bad combination.

westofyou
11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok - what's Sweeney's number for 2007?

Subtract Jason LaRue's Number for 2007 and should have a difference.

That's what the Royals should do. Plus, toss in the Hatte for good measure.

Mike Sweeney 1b/DH
5 years/$55M (2003-07)

* 2003-07: $11M/year
* salaries increase to $12.5M/year with trade or contraction

texasdave
11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
One problem: that would put Valentine in the line-up vs. lefties. Bad combination.

I can see that. I would never have traded Larue though. And Larue could have caught vs. lefties. But that is water over the dam or under the bridge or something.

Heath
11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Mike Sweeney 1b/DH
5 years/$55M (2003-07)

* 2003-07: $11M/year
* salaries increase to $12.5M/year with trade or contraction

Boy, and the Royals had him convinced that he was going to be a part of a baseball renaissance in Kansas City.

Sucker.

Mainspark
11-23-2006, 12:21 AM
From Rotoworld:

The Reds talked with Rich Aurilia's agent as recently as the weekend, but it's doubtful that they'll be re-signing him after giving Alex Gonzalez a three-year deal.
With Juan Castro set to act as a utilityman and Ray Olmedo still available, the Reds can focus on adding a first baseman to platoon with the left-handed-hitting Scott Hatteberg. Kevin Millar, Eduardo Perez, Phil Nevin, Craig Wilson and Matthew LeCroy are among the players available.

GAC
11-23-2006, 05:44 AM

http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/rob_63/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mxyzptlk.jpg

If we can trick Doug into saying his name backwards he automatically returns to the American League. ;)

blumj
11-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Zciweiktneim?

Redsland
11-23-2006, 11:29 AM
If we can trick Doug into saying his name backwards he automatically returns to the American League. ;)
:laugh:

Henry Clay
11-24-2006, 04:07 PM
From Rotoworld:

The Reds talked with Rich Aurilia's agent as recently as the weekend, but it's doubtful that they'll be re-signing him after giving Alex Gonzalez a three-year deal.
With Juan Castro set to act as a utilityman and Ray Olmedo still available, the Reds can focus on adding a first baseman to platoon with the left-handed-hitting Scott Hatteberg. Kevin Millar, Eduardo Perez, Phil Nevin, Craig Wilson and Matthew LeCroy are among the players available.

I would prefer to see Millar or Wilson, but I noticed Matt LeCroy on the list. LeCroy is a former Twin. Not to sound like a beer commercial, but we know how WayneK likes Twins.

wheels
11-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I would prefer to see Millar or Wilson, but I noticed Matt LeCroy on the list. LeCroy is a former Twin. Not to sound like a beer commercial, but we know how WayneK likes Twins.

:laugh:

That "....And Twins" song should be the Reds theme song.

"And I love the Reds too!"

gm
11-24-2006, 06:27 PM
I noticed Matt LeCroy on the list. LeCroy is a former Twin.

Best years '03 and '05, OPS of .823 and .798

(Another odd-numbered year is coming up...)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4230

Career .939 vs. LHP

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6391&type=batting3

klw
11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Best years '03 and '05, OPS of .823 and .798

(Another odd-numbered year is coming up...)

Ah the Bret Saberhagen theory of scouting.:)

TeamSelig
11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Hmm didn't realize LeCroy was that good vs LHP... I'd say go for it. It would be the perfect platoon with Hatteberg. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and would probably produce ever better in the GABP (1.289 OPS) Half kidding about the GABP stats since it was only a couple games, but still...

He made $850,000 last year but didn't really play that well. I'd be okay with a 1 year 1 million contract if he would bite on that.

gm
11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Ah the Bret Saberhagen theory of scouting.:)

Pree-cisely...but that OPS versus southpaws is the real clincher (NTM the ex-Twin connection)

I've been pining for a RH tag-team partner for Red's 1st basemen since the Morris administration...so I'm not holding my breath

wheels
11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Again, Craig Wilson please.

The guy actually helps shore up two positions.

blumj
11-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Correction, he's both a former Twin AND a catcher. Hard to believe he's not a Red yet.