PDA

View Full Version : The other side of Brandon Claussen

Matt700wlw
11-22-2006, 03:31 PM
http://www.cnjonline.com/engine.pl?station=clovis&template=storyfull.html&id=26417

joshnky
11-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Good story. I'll certainly be rooting hard for him to turn it around this year.

Patpacillosjock
11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
im not religious at all, but the part about getting the call about his dad dying while he was drunk really hit home with me.

my friend got the same phone call about his little sister dying in a car wreck while we were partying til 5 am

it really sends u into shock.

Doc. Scott
11-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Interesting that the article covers him talking about his one and only game pitching in New York and nothing about all the pitching he's done in Cincinnati.

Degenerate39
11-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Good story. I'll certainly be rooting hard for him to turn it around this year.

:thumbup: As will I. I've always liked Claussen I hope he has a great year this upcoming season

Willy
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Anyone hear how his rehab is going?

Has he been throwing at all?

VR
11-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for posting that Matt... great story.

geniusMoment
11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I've heard Jesus Christ can't hit a good curveball, but can he teach someone to throw one.

Spitball
11-22-2006, 07:30 PM
That is a nice story, Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Degenerate39
11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I've heard Jesus Christ can't hit a good curveball, but can he teach someone to throw one.

Jobu helps with hitting the curve

joshnky
11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
quote removed

Great thoughts. Thanks for your insight in stereotyping all Christians as passive nonperformers. Thank you for bringing a negative influence to a positive article and thread about a man who has turned his life around.

Falls City Beer
11-22-2006, 07:52 PM
quote removed

Increase, Cotton, and Rev. Danforth should sit down with Rolando Roomes for some providential hermeneutics.

joshnky
11-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Increase, Cotton, and Rev. Danforth should sit down with Rolando Roomes for some providential hermeneutics.

I consider myself well-educated and try to keep up with current events but I honestly have no idea who these people are.

Falls City Beer
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I consider myself well-educated and try to keep up with current events but I honestly have no idea who these people are.

Great Puritans: Increase Mather, Cotton Mather, and Samuel Danforth.

westofyou
11-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Great Puritans

Oxymoron alert!!!

Falls City Beer
11-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Oxymoron alert!!!

http://faculty.tamu-commerce.edu/jsmith/Jonathan%20Edwards.jpg

You are as sinners in the hands of an angry God. When Brandon Claussen's fastball cannot penetrate the spider web that hovers above the fires of hell, His Grace has saved a sinner!

joshnky
11-22-2006, 08:11 PM
This thread has quickly devolved

Falls City Beer
11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
This thread has quickly devolved

Relax. Life's too short.

redsupport
11-22-2006, 08:20 PM
the thread has not devolved, brandon claussen so called number one prospect from the Yanks has gone the way of Bryan Rydr, Fred Tolliver Tim Leary and all other ex Yanks to pitch for the Reds. Now alternatively when the Reds unceremoniously dumped Luis Arroyo to the Yanks look what happened.

Willy
11-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for posting the story Matt. It's really sad that people will take any opportunity to take a shot at a guy, and to bring his religious beliefs into it is embarassing.

joshnky
11-22-2006, 08:37 PM
the thread has not devolved, brandon claussen so called number one prospect from the Yanks has gone the way of Bryan Rydr, Fred Tolliver Tim Leary and all other ex Yanks to pitch for the Reds. Now alternatively when the Reds unceremoniously dumped Luis Arroyo to the Yanks look what happened.

The thread is not about whether or not Brandon Claussen is a good pitcher. This only a recognition of a man who overcame some struggles in his life. If you want to highjack the thread, start another one about what you think of Claussen's ability. Contrary to what you said earlier the fact that he is "religious" does not make him a worse pitcher.

redsfanfalcon
11-22-2006, 08:41 PM
People use their status in life to get out what they believe, some good, some not so good. Claussen has chosen to use his for good. Good for you, Brandon, you have a fan here.

RedsBaron
11-22-2006, 08:47 PM
quote removed

Any more bigotry you would care to share?

Handofdeath
11-23-2006, 03:09 AM
Redsupport, as a Christian and a democrat, I want you and everyone to know that I support your right to free speech. It is your God-given right to be ignorant if you choose to be.

StillFunkyB
11-23-2006, 07:36 AM
I just wanted to get in before this puppy gets locked. :D

Ok really, it was a good story Matt. Thanks for sharing!

RedsBaron
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
I just wanted to get in before this puppy gets locked. :D

Ok really, it was a good story Matt. Thanks for sharing!

I thought that the article was a good "human interest" story, telling readers something about a Reds player most of us didn't know.
Claussen's faith doesn't make him a better or lesser pitcher. I wish him well. I hope he is able to reach the expectations and hopes some of us had when the Reds had when he was acquired from the Yankees. Unfortunately, based upon last season, I am not all that optimistic.

Redsland
11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Good for Brandon. It's nice to see he has another career option to fall back on.

MartyFan
11-23-2006, 01:18 PM
“There is so much more to life than just goals and dreams. He is life,” Claussen said.

I thought that was pretty insightful...especially in a subsulture that usually says you are valued by the goals and dreams you have and accomplish.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Unassisted
11-23-2006, 01:54 PM
IMO, this story loses some poignancy points due to Claussen's career ML underperformance. He may have turned his life around, but his career is still a work-in-progress. I'm glad he's happy, but I wish he was a better pitcher.

Patpacillosjock
11-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I am athiest, democrat, and very liberal and 25 years old. I'll admit, I have my prejudice against christians, religious people, etc but the one thing that you can take from that article (as i mentioned already in a post) is the part where he was drunk when he got a call his dad was almost dead.

My dad is my best friend in the world and regardless of your religious affiliation or politics, I think you can understand that we owe our parents so much and we will never know when they wil be gone..i know this past year i've taken that for granted

after reading this I immediately called my folks who are both terminally ill.

So seriously everyone shut up about the religious aspect of this.

goreds2
11-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for posting that Matt... great story.

Very nice story.

roby
11-24-2006, 01:01 AM
May God richly bless Brandon Claussen.

Handofdeath
11-24-2006, 03:35 AM
I am athiest, democrat, and very liberal and 25 years old. I'll admit, I have my prejudice against christians, religious people, etc but the one thing that you can take from that article (as i mentioned already in a post) is the part where he was drunk when he got a call his dad was almost dead.

My dad is my best friend in the world and regardless of your religious affiliation or politics, I think you can understand that we owe our parents so much and we will never know when they wil be gone..i know this past year i've taken that for granted

after reading this I immediately called my folks who are both terminally ill.

So seriously everyone shut up about the religious aspect of this.

The religious aspect of it was the whole point of the article. He was speaking at a religious function not doing an interview with Fox Sports. I am sure you have your reasons for your prejudice. I appreciate your honesty and I am sorry you feel the way you do. I am much more sorry to hear about your parents. I'm sure you have the well wishes and prayers of everyone at Redszone.

TheWalls
11-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Jobu helps with hitting the curve

Then for the love of Pete, get Dunner some Jobu love - NOW!

westofyou
11-24-2006, 10:30 AM
The religious aspect of it was the whole point of the article. He was speaking at a religious function not doing an interview with Fox Sports.

And I thought religious threads were banned from RZ. :dunno:

George Foster
11-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Just so everyone knows. In our world today, it's OK to make fun of and call names of Christians. It is perfectly acceptable. However, you cannot under any circumstances make fun of or call names of Jews, Muslims,etc. If you do you will be labled uneducated, intollerant, etc.

westofyou
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Just so everyone knows.

Thanks for your slice of reality.

Red in Atl
11-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Tom Hanks said, "There's no crying in baseball" and there should be no Bible's either. Please keep your religion out of Redszone, out of poliltics and out of the damn newspaper, except for that lovely Saturday section called "Faith".

Yes it's sad when anyone loses a father or mother or anyone close to them. But to blame boozing it up in your twenties, or a lack of faith is silly. Seems to me, Brandon's father passed away because God decided it was his time. And no amount of newfound faith is bringing him back.

Most people I know have had someone close and influential die on them. The only thing that really heals is time. And I think it's time BC makes his Dad proud by becoming a consistent major league pitcher.

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 12:58 PM

Me too. I dislike that this thread stayed open for business, and people were chastised for voicing an unpopular but legitimate position on faith. The problem with threads like these is that unless you say, "Oh, isn't that sweet" or "Oh, doesn't that make Brandon a good person," you're called a bigot, insensitive, or worse.

Religious and political threads were banned for a reason--and that reason is that this board was designed for dissenting opinions; however, dissenting against religion is somehow considered beyond the pale in America, and placed alongside things like hate speech; therefore, religion is not a suitable subject for debate and dissent on Redszone.

My vote is to continue in that vein.

paintmered
11-24-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree with the sentiments already voiced. This thread is closed.