PDA

View Full Version : Please Wayne, No Turkeys

shredda2000
11-23-2006, 06:43 PM
I had enough turkey on this wonderful Thanksgiving Day!!!

Please Wayne, use this offseason to fill the holes that are so obvious to us RedsZoners.

What do the Reds need you ask? IMO, they need the following:

(1) another starting pitcher
(2) a stronger bullpen
(3) a closer
(4) some pop off the bench

I trust you Wayne. Now, go make a winner!!! :thumbup:

redsfanmia
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
If your waiting for new ownership to open its purse strings to sign any big time free agents you will be waiting for a long time. I hope I am wrong but from my veiw the more things change the more they stay the same.

wheels
11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
They need a big, BIG everyday outfield bat.

Somehow, someway it's got to get done.

EvansvilleReds
11-23-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't disagree, but unless they can get Carlos Lee or J.D. Drew (highly unlikely on both counts), there ain't much left on the free-agent market.

That leaves a trade ... and who do the Reds have that could bring a big outfield bat? They wouldn't want to trade Harang or Arroyo, would they?

The_jbh
11-23-2006, 08:25 PM
the market is too crazy this year... i would be upset to see Wayne dish out money for an arm or bat in FA... only trades please no 50 mil over 5 yrs for a gary mathews jr

Spitball
11-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds lure Jose Guillen back to town if they could get him to sign a bargain priced one year contract. He might bite on such a deal with the hope of putting up good numbers that he could parlay into a nice multi-year deal somewhere.

Highlifeman21
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds lure Jose Guillen back to town if they could get him to sign a bargain priced one year contract. He might bite on such a deal with the hope of putting up good numbers that he could parlay into a nice multi-year deal somewhere.

So we're gonna get him back, play him for 1/2 a season and then ship him somewhere for prospects again?

So crazy, it just might work!

Slyder
11-24-2006, 12:15 AM
So we're gonna get him back, play him for 1/2 a season and then ship him somewhere for prospects again?

So crazy, it just might work!

He's only 30. Sign him 1 yr with 2-3 option yrs (based on results) with escalators based on performance. You solidify the OF until Bruce is ready with 4 "proven mlbers" and 1 guy trying to get a break (Deno). Plus you know Griffey will eventually get hurt (if he isnt traded in this crazy market).

RANDY IN INDY
11-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Guillen can rake, and GAB would probably be enticing to him. Always liked that "big arm" in right field.

Krusty
11-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Guillen's price tag will be low coming off an injury. He might be worth the gamble.

deltachi8
11-24-2006, 12:27 PM
1) 2 Starting Pitchers
2) A big bat for 1b or OF
3) Closer

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd go after Guillen; but I wouldn't count on him being cheap.

Spitball
11-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Guillen's price tag will be low coming off an injury. He might be worth the gamble.

In my opinion, this is the best way to inexpensively strengthen the outfield while saving money to strengthen the pitching.

Randy, I agree on Guillen's arm. I don't believe there is an outfielder today whose arm grades out any higher than his. Guerrero's may be as strong, but it isn't as accurate.

Spitball
11-24-2006, 02:32 PM
I'd go after Guillen; but I wouldn't count on him being cheap.

Maybe not, but he's an outfielder coming off an unproductive season. I'm guessing that Guillen and Trot Nixon will have to go with one year deals in hopes of putting up decent numbers for future contracts. The Great American Ballpark should be attractive to those type of players.

mth123
11-24-2006, 02:43 PM
In my opinion, this is the best way to inexpensively strengthen the outfield while saving money to strengthen the pitching.

Randy, I agree on Guillen's arm. I don't believe there is an outfielder today whose arm grades out any higher than his. Guerrero's may be as strong, but it isn't as accurate.

Guillen has been out with Tommy John Surgery. Not sure he'll have that arm anymore. At least not until 2008. He needs to be a LF or DH.

Spitball
11-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Guillen has been out with Tommy John Surgery. Not sure he'll have that arm anymore. At least not until 2008. He needs to be a LF or DH.

I had forgotten about his surgery in July just before the trade deadline. Hmmm...Go to plan number two, Trot Nixon.

Degenerate39
11-24-2006, 07:40 PM
I had forgotten about his surgery in July just before the trade deadline. Hmmm...Go to plan number two, Trot Nixon.

Works for me :thumbup:

redsfanmia
11-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Been there done that with Guillen, wasnt he a bad clubhouse guy? Why bring him back?

Slyder
11-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Been there done that with Guillen, wasnt he a bad clubhouse guy? Why bring him back?

Only thing I ever heard while he was in Cincy was wanting to play and honestly if that was the worst he did in Cincy I have no problems with that.

Tigs
11-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Is Aubrey Huff out of our price range? I have not heard much news from him.