PDA

View Full Version : Redsfest 2006

GAC
11-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Who all is going? I've never been to one, and after talking with Chip, decided to come down this year (next weekend).

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/fan_forum/redsfest.jsp

Ltlabner
11-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Man GAC, I really wanted to go this year but I will be on a business trip and woln't get back to Cincy until the mid/late afternoon on Saturday. I considered quitting so I could go to Redsfest but thought that might impact how many actual games I can attend next year.

BuckWoody
11-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I'll be there with a buddy on Saturday. Not sure what time, though. We scored some early passes for 10:00 to 12:00. Has anyone heard if there is anything special going then on other than the fact that it should be a little less crowded?

Hap
11-24-2006, 11:02 AM
My personal opinion is that the activities are geared more towards children than adults, but I have always had a good time at Redsfest. If you are interested in collectibles and/or clothing, you will not be disappointed.

Redsland
11-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I'll probably go.

paulrichjr
11-24-2006, 11:49 AM
My 2 kids (11, 7) will be attending with me. My son was in a play that was the same weekend but had to drop out because RedsFest comes first to him. I would normally not let him do that but he didn't have a lot of lines and he has literally been talking about RedsFest for 3 years (since his last one).

Crosley68
11-24-2006, 01:04 PM
My wife, myself and my two sons (10, 7) will be attending for the first time. Looks like we will be there Sat.

On a side note, the Reds provided me with 2, 2-day passes since I had bought group tickets this past season. I thought that was a very positive move on their part.

11-24-2006, 01:40 PM
We are going both days. It's a 3 hour drive, so we are pulling the kids out of school about lunchtime. Priorities, huh?

BuckWoody
11-24-2006, 02:21 PM
We are going both days. It's a 3 hour drive, so we are pulling the kids out of school about lunchtime. Priorities, huh?
Sounds like you have them pretty straight to me. ;)

GAC
11-24-2006, 02:24 PM
If alot people are going on Saturday, then we ought to figure out a way to hook up just to get to meet one another briefly.

This will be my first Redsfest.

Jpup
11-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Are the new unis for 2007 going to be on display this weekend? I would love to pick up some new gear for Christmas.

Sweetstop
11-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Went several years in a row when Barry was there. No more.:(

redsfan4445
11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Are the new unis for 2007 going to be on display this weekend? I would love to pick up some new gear for Christmas.

I heard on the radio ad they will have the new uniforms for sale!

beb30
11-30-2006, 10:45 AM
New uni's will be released at 5pm friday

redsfan30
11-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I'll be there at some point during the day/evening Saturday.

Team Clark
11-30-2006, 11:00 AM
I was actually thinking about going. My daughter has really been bugging me about Baseball season. Maybe Redsfest will pacify her until Feb. Might even get me the opportunity to have a chit chat with a few people.

redsmetz
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
My daughter called last night and got two tickets from a co-worker, so I'm going with either my son or one of my buddies.

Shaknb8k
11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Ill be making the 3 hour haul down the AA Highway. Never been to a RedsFest. So me and my dad are gonna go to this one just to see what its like. We couldnt decide if it would be worth driving all the way to Cincinnati for but we said who cares its about baseball so i know we will enjoy it.

vaticanplum
11-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm going to try to go Friday. I'll report back on the uniform fashion show if I do.

GAC
11-30-2006, 08:43 PM
I'll be there Friday with Chip and possibly Redsland.

Chip's old-time baseball team has a booth there.

Virginia Beach Reds
11-30-2006, 09:46 PM
I think that I'll walk over there after work on Friday. I keep checking, but I can't ascertain which players will be signing autographs and on which days (?)

TeamBoone
11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Everyone who's coming from out of town, please note that the Reds website says NOTHING about being able to buy tickets at the door.... they mention you can buy them at Meijer stores, via the Reds website, or by calling the number given... I assume there are fees associated with each method. I further assume they have a Will Call window.

I was surprised as they've always sold them at the door before. Now I have to run to Meijer before we go.

dougdirt
11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
TB, you better be able to buy tickets at the door. There will be a ton of people shut out if you cant buy tickets at the door....that would be a PR nightmare.

TeamBoone
11-30-2006, 10:34 PM
TB, you better be able to buy tickets at the door. There will be a ton of people shut out if you cant buy tickets at the door....that would be a PR nightmare.

I totally agree, but I haven't seen it in print anywhere.

johngalt
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
From a reliable source, tickets will be available at the door. You can even still buy the special 2-day passes there with the lanyard and stuff.

Shaknb8k
12-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Simple question from an out-of-towner.....Where is the Will Call window?

TeamBoone
12-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Finally, an article recently posted on reds.com states tickets will be available at the door.

Cheers!

vaticanplum
12-01-2006, 01:05 AM
That's awesome, just a couple of hours after I drove exhaustedly through the rain to Meijer to get my ticket :rolleyes: :)

I was actually just trying to avoid the online convenience charge, but of course they charged that at Meijer too. I want to tell the people at the door that they owe me two bucks. Convenience charges slay me. I've taken commuter trains to different cities to avoid them. I am a healthy and mobile person, but a poor one. Paying extra money is therefore, to me, as inconvenient as inconvenient can possibly be.

12-01-2006, 01:28 AM
I bought my weekend passes on line, and the only shipping option was will call. About a week later they arrived by USPS. It made me wonder about at the door availability.

12-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Maybe we should start a pic thread for all the pics we take to share with everyone else who can't go.

George Foster
12-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Maybe we should start a pic thread for all the pics we take to share with everyone else who can't go.

That would be a great idea! I wonder if the Reds web site will put a photo of the new uniforms on line? That's what I'm most interested in seeing.

wheels
12-01-2006, 09:56 AM
From a reliable source, tickets will be available at the door. You can even still buy the special 2-day passes there with the lanyard and stuff.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Now I can resume my plan to drive down after work.

Yachtzee
12-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Do they have WiFi access there? Maybe some kind soul wouldn't mind doing a Redsfest thread? That's a lot of work though.

What they should do is have streaming video of the more interesting goings-on available through the Reds' website.

vaticanplum
12-01-2006, 12:23 PM
I realized late last night that my ticket is for the wrong day :bang: The woman at Meijer didn't know how to work the computer system. I'm shocked, shocked that my ticket is wrong.

Back to Meijer I go. Going to a single evening of Redsfest is the most complicated thing I've done in five years. These new uniforms had better be good.

LawFive
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
For those of us that can't make it, you can view Redsfest via live streaming video on Reds.com. Article there says the uni's will be unveiled at 5:50 PM(EST)

paulrichjr
12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm standing in line for Concepcion right now. Hate the way they are doing this...only announce time 1 hour before he signs. You have to walk all over to find what line you want to get into.

redsfan30
12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
You know you're a fan when you're sitting here watching a live stream of a fan convention.

Falls City Beer
12-01-2006, 06:39 PM
For those of us that can't make it, you can view Redsfest via live streaming video on Reds.com. Article there says the uni's will be unveiled at 5:50 PM(EST)

Will there be his and hers thongs?

kbrake
12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
lol I'm with ya redsfan30

kbrake
12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Dont like them.

paulrichjr
12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I like the home ones. The others are just bad in my opinion

Redsland
12-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I like the standard home and roads a lot. The alternate home looks a little goofy to me, though.

12-02-2006, 01:50 AM
I like the home uniform, but the others are nothing special.

TeamCasey
12-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm standing in line for Concepcion right now. Hate the way they are doing this...only announce time 1 hour before he signs. You have to walk all over to find what line you want to get into.

Do you have a Crackberry?

TeamMorris
12-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Me, TB & TG will be heading to reds fest around 1:00pm today. I'm pretty excited. I will take lots of pictures and post some later tonight. I haven't looked yet but did anyone start the picture thread yet?

paulrichjr
12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Do you have a Crackberry?

Yep

paulrichjr
12-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I came in today and Johnny Bench was walking around. My kids got their picture with him. I was more excited than them of course. He wouldn't sign though.

GAC
12-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Friday I got to meet, and have my picture taken, with former Red players I grew up with.... Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Leo Cardenas. I met Jim O'Toole later on walking around, as well as Tom Hume.

Rob Dibble and his security entourage walked past us.

Why was he the only former player I saw walking around with security? :lol:

BoydsOfSummer
12-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Friday I got to meet, and have my picture taken, with former Red players I grew up with.... Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Leo Cardenas. I met Jim O'Toole later on walking around, as well as Tom Hume.

Rob Dibble and his security entourage walked past us.

Why was he the only former player I saw walking around with security? :lol:

That was to protect the crowd from Dibbs, not the other way around.

I sat behind Jim O'Toole and his wife at a Richmond Roosters game once. I probably annoyed the hell out of them, but he's a darn fine feller. He signed my program and a beer can for my buddy.

vaticanplum
12-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I sat behind Jim O'Toole and his wife at a Richmond Roosters game once. I probably annoyed the hell out of them, but he's a darn fine feller. He signed my program and a beer can for my buddy.

His wife was the most prolific substitute teacher all through the time I was in (Catholic) grade school. They are VERY Catholic, eleven children, if I recall correctly.

I remember distinctly the one thing that got her in all our good graces: when studying the word "pneumonia", she gave us a tip: "The 'P' is silent, as the pee in a baby's diaper." Saying something like that pretty much endears you to a bunch of eight-year-olds for all eternity.

BoydsOfSummer
12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
She was very nice and accommodating as well, and really seemed to enjoy the game.

Chip R
12-03-2006, 04:25 PM
They had Leo Cardenas and O'Toole signing at the same table yesterday. I guess all has been forgiven since 1964.

Crosley68
12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey Chip....how come everyone on your team seemed insulted when I asked if they were Chip? LOL

TeamBoone
12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
After circling the place three times, I don't know how I missed that table full of chocolates, but it's probably a good thing I did.

The kids' press conference with Arroyo, Freel, Ross, and Phillips was hysterical. You know how honest kids are!! One of them asked Phillips how he felt about Gonzalez playing SS next year. The entire crowd cracked up at the bluntness of the question then applauded his answer... (paraphrased) "He adds a lot to the team. Other teams are going to find out we're tough up the middle". Freel was a hoot and the other guys were ribbing him about Farney... like when a kid asked him a question, the others would say "that wasn't Freel, it was Farney!".

I had the opportunity to speak briefly with Claussen and he was very friendly. I asked him if he was going to be ready and he was very upbeat about it (though I don't remember exactly what he responded, I do know it was equivalent to yes). Coffey was very nice too.

And yes, Eric Davis shook my hand. I didn't even ask... he just held out his hand to me and I took it. He looked sharp and maybe the picture wasn't the best, but he definitely wasn't hammered nor did he look it in person. He was most gracious and friendly. Class act.

Did anyone see the guy making the bats? That was incredible. I could have watched him for a long time if there had been a place to sit.

I loved all the stuff for kids but the lines were so long for each of them that I'm afraid TG didn't get to do any of them because his Mom and I were in no way standing in line for each of them for a minimum of 45 minutes. He wanted to get on that replica BB field in the worst way but it didn't appear to be open to just anyone... or perhaps we were there at the wrong time.

I loved the lithographs of different players that were on sale. They were reasonably priced too.

The bar was awesome. A very nice addition.

With the exception of concession prices, it was a great event. And I had a great time, as I always do.

One more thing... I also LOVED the truck where they produce/direct the TV cameras and audio. How the heck does someone get that kind of job? I've seen it before for a Bengals vs Steelers game several years ago, but even though it wasn't new to me, it was still impressive.

Chip R
12-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Hey Chip....how come everyone on your team seemed insulted when I asked if they were Chip? LOL

Cause they all are jealous they aren't me. :lol:

paulrichjr
12-04-2006, 11:25 AM

Same thing with me. I drive up and some guy has his pants unbuckled and is stuffing his 1869 uniform into his pants and I say, "You ever hear of Redszone...Do you know Chip?" He laughed (a lot) and said something like Yea...didn't say much else that I can repeat...JK