PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee is an Astro

Daniels_Parker
11-24-2006, 03:42 PM
ESPN is reporting Carlos Lee signed with Houston on a 6 year contract.

steig
11-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Here is the story from ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2674398

Source: Astros sign Lee to six-year, $100M deal
ESPN.com news services

Carlos Lee is staying in Texas, but not with the Rangers.

Carlos Lee
Left Field
Texas Rangers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
161 37 116 102 .355 .300

A source told ESPN's Jayson Stark that the Houston Astros were set to announce Friday afternoon that they have signed the free-agent slugger to a six-year, $100 million deal. The only significant non-monetary clause in the contract is that Lee will have a complete no-trade clause for the first four years of the contract and a limited no-trade for the final two years.

The Astros were one of several teams bidding for Lee, joining the Philadelphia Phillies, who failed to land Alfonso Soriano; Baltimore Orioles, who Stark previously reported had made serious overtures to Lee; and San Francisco Giants.

"We're in the mix, definitely," Orioles vice president Jim Duquette said Tuesday.

Lee batted .300 with 37 homers, 116 RBI and 19 steals with Texas and Milwaukee this year.

"He's a nice-looking player, someone who would definitely draw some interest," Phillies GM Pat Gillick said Monday, adding he has spoken to Lee's representatives.

Lee earned $8.5 million last season. Soriano's deal with the Chicago Cubs, which averages $17 million per year.

The 30-year-old outfielder has averaged 33 homers and 111 RBI over the last four seasons. He's also been durable, having played at least 150 games in six of his eight seasons in the majors.

Lee is listed at 6-foot-2 and 240 pounds and there have been questions about him being out of shape, but Gillick said his size isn't a concern.

"Lee is a heck of an athlete," Gillick said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Doesn't look like the Astros will be interested in Dunn anymore

VI_RedsFan
11-24-2006, 03:49 PM
$100M for 6 years?!?! I'm sure glad we didn't throw that kind of money at him.

Now watch Zito get something like over 100M from the Mets next...:rolleyes:

thatcoolguy_22
11-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I was happy to see him out of the brew crew but now he landed with another division foe. OK so the question is what do we did in response?

Degenerate39
11-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I was happy to see him out of the brew crew but now he landed with another division foe. OK so the question is what do we did in response?

Get a good pitcher!

savafan
11-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Lots of no trade clauses being handed out in these crazy contracts this offseason...

Willy
11-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Get a good pitcher!

More like 3!!!

thatcoolguy_22
11-24-2006, 04:23 PM
How about what we do is sign Tonya Harding and bodyguards to take care of Lee and Berkman in Spring Training!

terminator
11-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Money aside, I hate to see him go to Houston. It definitely improves them.

redsfanmia
11-24-2006, 04:55 PM
With this signing it eliminates one more team that we could dump Dunn on:thumbdown

joshnky
11-24-2006, 04:57 PM
With this signing it eliminates one more team that we could dump Dunn on:thumbdown

I think there are plenty of teams that would love for us to "dump Dunn" on them.

thatcoolguy_22
11-24-2006, 04:59 PM

i think that the term "dump" is rather harsh...:)

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I like that an intradivisional rival is floating big money; maybe it will prick the conscience of the hometeam to get out there and make some noise instead of Scrooging the Reds with "unsexy moves that 'make you a winner.'"

I like that it puts Castellini and his "I am not patient" credo to the test.

Hell, I hope the Cardinals are next. I'm calling Castellini's bluff.

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Money aside, I hate to see him go to Houston. It definitely improves them.

No doubt. Their offense goes from okay to very good. At least for a couple of seasons. Sure they have rotation issues, but who doesn't in the NL Central.

Simply put, the Astros are DEFINITELY better than they were yesterday. I can't say that for the Reds' moves.

LoganBuck
11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
I like that an intradivisional rival is floating big money; maybe it will prick the conscience of the hometeam to get out there and make some noise instead of Scrooging the Reds with "unsexy moves that 'make you a winner.'"

I like that it puts Castellini and his "I am not patient" credo to the test.

Hell, I hope the Cardinals are next. I'm calling Castellini's bluff.

Remember when Santa Lindner brought us a sack full of Eric Milton for Christmas?

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Remember when Santa Lindner brought us a sack full of Eric Milton for Christmas?

This presupposes all FA signings/trades suck. The majority of the time expensive ballplayers give you what you pay for. Perhaps not for as long as you'd like, but that's the GM's fault for not dumping said player at the right time.

cinredsfan2000
11-24-2006, 05:57 PM
About the only wayne K. could do to draw some national media our way would be to sign zito otherwise it's ho hum in other news the cin.reds signed ______________<-------INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE.

buckeyenut
11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I'd like to see us answer by signing trot nixon and eduardo perez and jason schmidt. I think we might be able to get all three for 17M a year combined.

Krusty
11-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd like to see us answer by signing trot nixon and eduardo perez and jason schmidt. I think we might be able to get all three for 17M a year combined.

Here is what I see:

Signing Craig Wilson. He will see playing time against lefthanded pitching either at lst or RF.

Signing of either OF David Delucci or OF Trot Nixon. They would play in RF against RHP pitching. Against lefthanders, the Reds could use either Craig Wilson or Ryan Freel in RF. The Reds bench would be bolstered with veterans coming off the bench.

Signing RHP Adam Eaton. Track record of injuries but has the potential to be a top of the rotation starter. For the Reds, he becomes a solid number 3.

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 06:40 PM

I'd be pleased as punch picking up Schmidt and Nixon. I really think we'd be close to ready if we pulled off those two moves.

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Astros also pick up Woody Williams today for 2 years.

cincy09
11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Astros also pick up Woody Williams today for 2 years.

big money day for the stros. Wonder if they're going to go after Clemons again, if so what would that payroll look like?

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 06:51 PM
big money day for the stros. Wonder if they're going to go after Clemons again, if so what would that payroll look like?

My guess--and it's not particularly well thought-through--is that Clemens won't be back.

RFS62
11-24-2006, 06:52 PM
My guess--and it's not particularly well thought-through--is that Clemens won't be back.

That's my guess too.

Caveat Emperor
11-24-2006, 06:52 PM
This presupposes all FA signings/trades suck. The majority of the time expensive ballplayers give you what you pay for. Perhaps not for as long as you'd like, but that's the GM's fault for not dumping said player at the right time.

When you've got a guy locked into a very long term deal (beyond 5 years), when is the right time to trade them? Who is going to take on 2+ years of salary for someone, given the size of a lot of these deals being made?

Offering Carlos Lee a 6 year guaranteed deal or Alfonso Soriano an 8 year guaranteed deal is bordering on insanity. If that is what the market is demanding for these kinds of sluggers, I'll pass. Concentrate on improving the pitching and getting better talent into the upper levels of the farm system.

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 06:55 PM
When you've got a guy locked into a very long term deal (beyond 5 years), when is the right time to trade them? Who is going to take on 2+ years of salary for someone, given the size of a lot of these deals being made?

Offering Carlos Lee a 6 year guaranteed deal or Alfonso Soriano an 8 year guaranteed deal is bordering on insanity. If that is what the market is demanding for these kinds of sluggers, I'll pass. Concentrate on improving the pitching and getting better talent into the upper levels of the farm system.

Let me make clear that I wouldn't have signed these particular deals, either one, but to say that teams won't pick up fair-sized contracts at the trading deadline when the player in question appears to have something left in the tank is a little short-sighted. Teams trade for guys in the middle of big contracts fairly frequently.

mth123
11-24-2006, 07:36 PM

I'd like that as well. Schmidt will cost that much by himself.

jmac
11-25-2006, 01:23 AM

if i had my choice of stros and clemens vs stros and lee...i would rather as a reds fan see them with lee minus clemens.

Jpup
11-25-2006, 02:58 AM
I'd like that as well. Schmidt will cost that much by himself.

you think he will get 17 million per year? if so, i would pass. that's insane.

mth123
11-25-2006, 03:30 AM
you think he will get 17 million per year? if so, i would pass. that's insane.

Lee and Soriano did. Matsuzaka will end-up there with the negotiating fee. Schmidt and Zito will too, IMO.