PDA

View Full Version : Eric Milton = Free Agent?

bthomasiscool
11-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I was searching the MLB.COM free agent tracker and on the list of Free Agent Starting Pitchers it had Eric Milton listed as a free agent? Typo?

Falls City Beer
11-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I was searching the MLB.COM free agent tracker and on the list of Free Agent Starting Pitchers it had Eric Milton listed as a free agent? Typo?

Put a question mark in your headline.

My heart went all aflutter.

Tom Servo
11-24-2006, 05:55 PM

seconded

Degenerate39
11-24-2006, 06:02 PM

My heart skipped a beat when I saw it. And I almost said "There is a God"

Chip R
11-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I was going to say, "Is he high?" He does have a player's option for next year but even with the outrageous salaries that are being given out there I don't think he's that stupid.

bthomasiscool
11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
My apologies, didn't mean the confusion. Still confused though on why they had him as a free agent.

Unassisted
11-24-2006, 07:34 PM
My apologies, didn't mean the confusion. Still confused though on why they had him as a free agent.

He hasn't exercised his option to return to the Reds yet, in the likely vain hope that another team will outbid the Reds for his services. Technically, that makes him a free agent.

Keep your fingers crossed and whenever possible direct some mental energy to telepathically-convincing the other GMs to pick him up. :laugh:

bthomasiscool
11-24-2006, 08:10 PM
He hasn't exercised his option to return to the Reds yet, in the likely vain hope that another team will outbid the Reds for his services. Technically, that makes him a free agent.

Keep your fingers crossed and whenever possible direct some mental energy to telepathically-convincing the other GMs to pick him up. :laugh:

Haha, thanks. I'll be sure to do that.

gm
11-24-2006, 08:25 PM

"Dan O'Brien...Milwaukee...Dan O'Brien...Milwaukee..."

redsmetz
11-24-2006, 08:33 PM
According to Cot's website

05:$4M, 06:$8.5M, 07:$9M
may opt out of final season (2007) by hitting incentives

It doesn't specify the incentives, but I would guess, with his injuries that he didn't meet them. Anyone recall what they were? I'm guessing IP's over a couple of the years.

roby
11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Eric K Milton, will you please go now? You can go by bus, you can go by cow... just go, go, go. I don't care how...You can go by lion's tail, or stamp yourself and go by mail! :thumbup:

fearofpopvol1
11-24-2006, 08:54 PM
At this juncture, it would do more harm than not for Milton to leave as a free agent. Until more SP's are acquired, this would create additional holes. Yes, the freeing of salary could be used towards more SP, but there are no guarantees.

I'd rather get additional SP's now and hold out hope that Milton puts together a decent year and that the Reds can trade him mid season (which I think is certainly possible).

wheels
11-24-2006, 08:57 PM
At this juncture, it would do more harm than not for Milton to leave as a free agent. Until more SP's are acquired, this would create additional holes. Yes, the freeing of salary could be used towards more SP, but there are no guarantees.

I'd rather get additional SP's now and hold out hope that Milton puts together a decent year and that the Reds can trade him mid season (which I think is certainly possible).

Sorry, but I can't disagree more.

Almost anyone could match or surpass what Eric Milton's done in a Reds uniform.

Heck, Joe Mays would be as "good" as Eric Milton.

George Foster
11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
At this juncture, it would do more harm than not for Milton to leave as a free agent. I'd rather get additional SP's now and hold out hope that Milton puts together a decent year

I've been holding out hope for a Six Million Dollar Man Doll for Christmas for the last 29 years, but I've come to the realization that it ain't going to happen, just like Milton ain't going to put together a solid year. If he signs with another team it would be the best Christmas present a Reds fan could ask for.

Redsland
11-24-2006, 09:28 PM
It doesn't specify the incentives, but I would guess, with his injuries that he didn't meet them. Anyone recall what they were?
I just read through over a half-dozen articles about the signing, and none mentioned any incentives. All of the reports said it was a three-year contract, and that Milton could "opt-out" of the final year if he wished. No stipulations were mentioned.

fearofpopvol1
11-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry, but I can't disagree more.

Almost anyone could match or surpass what Eric Milton's done in a Reds uniform.

Heck, Joe Mays would be as "good" as Eric Milton.

Compare the stats from last year between those 2 and it's not even close. Is Milton way overpaid when coupled with his performance? Absolutely. However, his 2006 year was not bad and if he is put in a pitchers park he surely would have better stats. In the middle of a race, some team (especially one with injuries to their staff) would take Milton and give up something for him.

Joseph
11-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Compare the stats from last year between those 2 and it's not even close. Is Milton way overpaid when coupled with his performance? Absolutely. However, his 2006 year was not bad and if he is put in a pitchers park he surely would have better stats. In the middle of a race, some team (especially one with injuries to their staff) would take Milton and give up something for him.

And thats exactly what we should hope for if we can't be in a race ourselves.

StillFunkyB
11-25-2006, 10:44 AM
He would be pretty stupid to opt out of 9 million dollars.