PDA

View Full Version : Astros sign Woody Williams

Reds Fanatic
11-24-2006, 07:55 PM
The Astros have signed pitcher Woody Williams to a 2 year deal for $12.5 million with a club option for a 3rd year at $6.5 million.

redsandrails
11-24-2006, 08:10 PM
6.25M/yr is not too bad for him if a 1 yr. deal but 2-3 years is crazy as he is 40 already.

Wheelhouse
11-26-2006, 02:44 AM
They better sign someone. Petitte is probably gone, and the Clemens hustle probably won't work again.

GAC
11-26-2006, 07:38 AM
They better sign someone. Petitte is probably gone, and the Clemens hustle probably won't work again.

Signing Carlos Lee to protect Berkman, and upgrade this offense, may sway these two to resign. Especially if the Astros can come up with the money for these two homeboys from Texas. ;)

mth123
11-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Signing Carlos Lee to protect Berkman, and upgrade this offense, may sway these two to resign. Especially if the Astros can come up with the money for these two homeboys from Texas. ;)

Good point. They may come back if they think there is a better chance to win. With all the action in CF around the majors, they may be able to trade Tavares or Chris Burke in a deal for a decent mid-rototion guy.

PuffyPig
11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Woody may have posted his best ERA in years at 3.65, but his DIPS was appoaching 5, and his K rate and HR rate are going in opposite directions.

A good candidate to implode.

mth123
11-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Woody may have posted his best ERA in years at 3.65, but his DIPS was appoaching 5, and his K rate and HR rate are going in opposite directions.

A good candidate to implode.

Going from the best pitcher's parks in baseball to one of the best hitter's parks.

Phhhl
11-26-2006, 11:14 PM
An underrated pitcher when he has been healthy, but I agree. His time is dwindling in this league. Woody is a nice back of the rotation guy at this point.

danforsman
11-27-2006, 01:43 PM
His road WHIPs in 2005 and 2006 were considerably higher than his home WHIPs. I don't get this signing for them, especially with Hirsh, Buchholz, Patton and Nieve all seemingly ready for their chances.

M2
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
What, do you mean Woody Williams, flyball pitcher extraordinaire, stands to encounter some trouble in a bandbox?

But look at what he's being paid. He must be a good pitcher.

texasdave
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't get this signing for them, especially with Hirsh, Buchholz, Patton and Nieve all seemingly ready for their chances.

I agree. Unless somehow they think that signing Williams increases their chances of bringing back Pettitte. Which, in turn, increases their chances of bringing back Clemens.

flyer85
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
But looks what he's being paid. He must be a good pitcher.... just not as good as Milton. ;)

M2
11-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't get this signing for them, especially with Hirsh, Buchholz, Patton and Nieve all seemingly ready for their chances.

Hirsh yes. Patton's a 21-year-old who's only just ready for his chance in AA this year. Hard to know what they've got with Nieve. Buchholz is three years removed from his last half-decent season and he was never very good in the first place. He's as overrated a pitching prospect as has come down the pike this century.

With Clemens potentially gone and Pettitte too, the Astros definitely could use some starting pitching help. Woody Williams, though, isn't likely to fill the bill.

Heath
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
What, do you mean Woody Williams, flyball pitcher extraordinaire, stands to encounter some trouble in a bandbox?

But looks what he's being paid. He must be a good pitcher.

Woody Williams shoulda went back to San Diego.

That, and Yellowstone, are the only two parks that can hold him. I think the Astros just got their 'Milton'-on.