PDA

View Full Version : Jennings for Freel (revisited)

Spitball
11-25-2006, 03:09 PM
The Rockies had hoped to sign Dave Roberts to play centerfield and to improve team speed, but he is now poised to sign with the Giants. Might the Rockies now need to look into acquiring Ryan Freel? Would they offer Jason Jennings? Would the Reds' offense suffer without Freel?

Jason Jennings groundball style seems to be a logical choice for the Reds, but...is he really worth Ryan Freel? The answer is obviously yes, but I have reservations about Jennings.

First, Jennings stuff is okay, but it isn't outstanding. He is no more than a number three type starter. However, he throws lots of sinkers which induce those groundballs so he is a nice fit for the Reds and their new shortstop/secondbase defense.

But, why might the Rockies trade Jennings now? Is it because he is coming off a career year in 2006? After his rookie season, Jennings had a three year (2003-2005) ERA over 5.00 and WHIP over 1.60. Which pitcher will he be next year, the 2006 version or the 2003-2005 version?

I truly believe in trading outfielders for pitchers, but can the Reds' punchless offense afford to lose their top speed component? The Reds can no longer rely on the three run homerun and would be hard pressed to mount an offense without on-base and first to third abilities. I'd still trade Freel for Jennings in a heatbeat, but I'd have reservations. Jennings, who makes Josh Hancock look like a fitness instructor, could have a negative effect on the team if the 2003-2005 version showed up and the team lacked speed.

terminator
11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I truly believe in trading outfielders for pitchers, but can the Reds' punchless offense afford to lose their top speed component?
The Reds wouldn't take much of a hit offensively or defensively by having Deno in CF instead of Freel. So from a perspective of what we have and what we need I don't see a big problem. Career year for Jennings, maybe, but I'd be willing to trade Freel and find out.

(I know this is year 2 of a two year deal deal for Freel. Is he a FA after that?)

cincy09
11-25-2006, 03:32 PM
to me this is a no-brainer. jennings would upgrade this staff to the top of the NL central.

DoogMinAmo
11-25-2006, 03:35 PM
What about Deno and a prospect for Jennings?

The Rockies may prefer that package due to cost, age, and durability concerns, especially considering the similar skill sets. The question is would the Reds still do it? Remember, Deno's existence was a big reason that Wayne was comfortable pulling the trigger on "the trade."

Willy
11-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Jennings is a Free Agent next year.

I can't see how he was able to have a 3.78 ERA with a 1.37 WHIP, sounds like he was pretty lucky last year.

I think I would look else where.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I'm not sure how well Freel's champagne jams would go over in the Puritan-precise clubhouse in Denver.

Spitball
11-25-2006, 03:49 PM
to me this is a no-brainer. jennings would upgrade this staff to the top of the NL central.

If the 2003-2005 version shows up, I have my doubts about this statement.

Tom Servo
11-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Wayne should definatly be shopping Freel to teams in need of a CF like the Rockies, White Sox, and Giants in hopes of landing a starter.

Reds Nd2
11-25-2006, 05:00 PM
The Rockies picked up his $5.5 million option for 2007 but would like to sign him beyond that, rather than risk losing him via free agency after the season.

That has led to the logical step of the Rockies listening to other teams interested in trading for Jennings. However, O'Dowd said it's too early for him to know how much interest there is in Jennings, and the priority is negotiating with Jennings and his agent, Casey Close.

"We have Jason signed through this year," O'Dowd said. "There's no sense of urgency about it at all."

Jennings has proven the ability to pitch at Coors Field and be a workhorse, but the unknown is whether Jennings is more valuable to the club in purple pinstripes or in acquiring multiple players in a deal.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061115&content_id=1741460&vkey=news_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

PuffyPig
11-25-2006, 05:25 PM
I'd keep Deno over Freel, as he's younger and cheaper, with likley more upside. Freel also likely have more immediate trade value, as he's more proven.

Highlifeman21
11-25-2006, 05:47 PM
What about Deno and a prospect for Jennings?

The Rockies may prefer that package due to cost, age, and durability concerns, especially considering the similar skill sets. The question is would the Reds still do it? Remember, Deno's existence was a big reason that Wayne was comfortable pulling the trigger on "the trade."

I'd rather keep Denorfia and ship Freel to the Rockies. Our IF seems pretty set right now with the AGon signing, so Freel's home is in the OF. IMO, I'd prefer Dunn, Griffey, Denorfia (assuming we trot the statue wearing #3 out to CF and obviously bat him 3rd....) than Dunn, Griffey, Freel. Denorfia's defense is superior to Freel's, but I don't doubt or question Freel's heart or passion.

The Rockies know what they'd get in Freel. Denorfia is still an unproven, and I don't think the Rockies would trade Jennings for a crapshoot.

Johnny Footstool
11-25-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I'm not sure how well Freel's champagne jams would go over in the Puritan-precise clubhouse in Denver.

He and Ronnie Dobbs would have a tough time there.

Funny how the team plays in Coors Field, but doesn't drink in the locker room.

jmac
11-25-2006, 06:53 PM
The Reds wouldn't take much of a hit offensively or defensively by having Deno in CF instead of Freel

i am still wondering "if" wayne k will do anything in regards to jr playing another of spot (barring a trade of course).

dfs
11-25-2006, 09:28 PM
i am still wondering "if" wayne k will do anything in regards to jr playing another of spot (barring a trade of course).

Yup. We percieve CF to be a problem. There's been no indication or acknowledgment that the organization thinks they have a problem in CF.

Will M
11-25-2006, 09:33 PM
even if Denorfia looks good in 2007 Freel will play 40-60 games while Griffey rests and Free will fill in for Deno, Dunn, EE & Phillips.
We need depth & Freel is a big part of this.

mth123
11-25-2006, 09:47 PM
even if Denorfia looks good in 2007 Freel will play 40-60 games while Griffey rests and Free will fill in for Deno, Dunn, EE & Phillips.
We need depth & Freel is a big part of this.

We need a starter more IMO. Freel's IF days in Cincy appear over and if he becomes a part-time OF his value will take a hit. The reds need the reserve OF who spells Griffey frequently and Dunn once in a while to be a power player anyway. A trade now is best for everyone IMO.

Will M
11-25-2006, 09:54 PM
If we trade Freel then who fills in for EE & Phillips? ( I think Phillips especially will need some rest to keep his legs fresh.)
Castro? Harris?? Olmedo???

jmac
11-25-2006, 09:56 PM
alot including myself have mentioned bringing in a guy with some pop for OF.
more popular names appear to be nixon and wilson.
if dunn and jr are both here come opening day....if one of those guys are signed,would we have a set leadoff hitter?
freel/deno would only play in a sort of platoon basis in that case.
it is my opinion that this team needs another piece of lumber because of the # of hitters in the same mold.....freel/deno/phillips/gonzalez.
phillips and AG seem like 7 and 8 hitters but with ross, it will probably be 6 and 8.
guess what i'm askin is if freel was to be traded and deno relagated to 4th OF...then our top of the order would be .....??

mth123
11-25-2006, 09:57 PM
If we trade Freel then who fills in for EE & Phillips? ( I think Phillips especially will need some rest to keep his legs fresh.)
Castro? Harris?? Olmedo???

Probably Harris and Castro. Maybe Jerry Gil. I wouldn't pass up a trade for a decent pitcher to keep Freel for that. Its easy to sign guys for this role.

jmac
11-25-2006, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't pass up a trade for a decent pitcher to keep Freel for that. Its easy to sign guys for this role.

just want to say i agree here. in my other post i wasnt sayin i wouldnt trade freel rather what we would do if we did.

mth123
11-25-2006, 10:09 PM
alot including myself have mentioned bringing in a guy with some pop for OF.
more popular names appear to be nixon and wilson.
if dunn and jr are both here come opening day....if one of those guys are signed,would we have a set leadoff hitter?
freel/deno would only play in a sort of platoon basis in that case.
it is my opinion that this team needs another piece of lumber because of the # of hitters in the same mold.....freel/deno/phillips/gonzalez.
phillips and AG seem like 7 and 8 hitters but with ross, it will probably be 6 and 8.
guess what i'm askin is if freel was to be traded and deno relagated to 4th OF...then our top of the order would be .....??

I guess I'd start deno and lead him off. That bat would hopefully push Hat to the bench. Actually, I'd sign two bats if possible (probably not possible) one to platoon with or replace Hat the other as a 4th OF who has some pop and OB skills who can fill in for everyone. Wilson and Jay Payton would be ideal. Trade Freel in a deal for Pitching.

Krusty
11-25-2006, 10:17 PM
If I'm the Rockies I would ask for a pitcher in return too.

But if the offer was Freel and Belisle for Jennings, I think Colorado might just do it.

Shaknb8k
11-25-2006, 10:21 PM
If the reds can get Jennings by giving up Freel or Deno or someone of that caliber then i think its a no brainer. Any deal where that player is the main piece then its a deal that must be done.