PDA

View Full Version : Brewers trade Doug Davis

Willy
11-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Per rotoworld

The Diamondbacks have reportedly acquired Doug Davis, Dana Eveland and David Krynzel from the Brewers for Johnny Estrada, Claudio Vargas and Greg Aquino.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Per rotoworld

The Diamondbacks have reportedly acquired Doug Davis, Dana Eveland and David Krynzel from the Brewers for Johnny Estrada, Claudio Vargas and Greg Aquino.

Dang. That sucks. The Reds could have matched that offer. Crap.

jmcclain19
11-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Johnny Estrada & Damien Miller & JD Closser.

How many offensive catchers do the Brewers need?

flyer85
11-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Dang. That sucks. The Reds could have matched that offer. Crap.he only seemed to pitch well against Cincy, this will hurt him.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 04:56 PM
he only seemed to pitch well against Cincy, this will hurt him.

The Reds could certainly have used him at the back of the rotation. He is infinitely better than Milton and Lohse.

This is what I'm talking about when I say the Reds need to shore up the back end of the rotation--keeps the dropoff after Arroyo from being too dramatic.

flyer85
11-25-2006, 05:01 PM
The Reds could certainly have used him at the back of the rotation. He is infinitely better than Milton and Lohse.That may be true but I am surprised about Arizona wanting him, his BB rate and game may not transition well from more the pitcher friendly Miller to the BOB.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 05:02 PM
That may be true but I am surprised about Arizona wanting him, his BB rate and game may not transition well from more the pitcher friendly Miller to the BOB.

Doesn't give up the longball too often. I'll go out on a very short limb and say Arizona is a very good team next year.

flyer85
11-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Doesn't give up the longball too often.he'd better not because he get killed with all the runners he puts on base. Coming to a place like Cincy which would surely bump his HR rate could be a disaster.

I would like to see Lohse and Milton(especially) replaced, Davis would likely only be a minor improvement. Honestly I would rather have the arms of Vargas and Aquino.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 05:07 PM
he'd better not because he get killed with all the runners he puts on base. Coming to a place like Cincy which would surely bump his HR rate could be a disaster.

I would like to see Lohse and Milton(especially) replaced, Davis would likely only be a minor improvement. Honestly I would rather have the arms of Vargas and Aquino.

Aquino, yes. Vargas? No thanks.

For whatever reason, Davis is tough to get great contact on. I don't think GAB would hurt Davis as much as Cincy's bullpen.

fewfirstchoice
11-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Im very suprised that almost everyone on this board doesnt give Loshe any credit what so ever.He came over to Cincy last season and pitched pretty well most of the time.I believe Loshe will be a good 4 or 5 starter,he at least deserves a chance.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Im very suprised that almost everyone on this board doesnt give Loshe any credit what so ever.He came over to Cincy last season and pitched pretty well most of the time.I believe Loshe will be a good 4 or 5 starter,he at least deserves a chance.

Lohse is Brett Tomko. Except worse.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
For all those who like to ask: "Who would YOU target?"

Davis is one of them. (Jennings is another.)

westofyou
11-25-2006, 07:57 PM
The Reds could certainly have used him at the back of the rotation. He is infinitely better than Milton and Lohse.

This is what I'm talking about when I say the Reds need to shore up the back end of the rotation--keeps the dropoff after Arroyo from being too dramatic.

IIRC you predicted that Davis was going to have a better ERA at the end of the year then any Reds starter, this was in July and Arroyo was clipping along at 2.47.

He lost it control wise this year, maybe injury affected his mechanics? He dropped K's and picked up walks.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 08:10 PM
IIRC you predicted that Davis was going to have a better ERA at the end of the year then any Reds starter, this was in July and Arroyo was clipping along at 2.47.

He lost it control wise this year, maybe injury affected his mechanics? He dropped K's and picked up walks.

And for all his control issues, his OPSA was a very respectable .760, just .013 worse than Harang, with a better H/IP ratio than Aaron as well.

Doug's a very good pitcher--but I don't know the extent or the existence of any injury. If he's injured, then I wouldn't pursue him. But I suppose it's moot as Arizona's unlikely to re-trade him.

Chip R
11-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Thank goodness he's out of our division.

StillFunkyB
11-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Thank goodness he's out of our division.

I second this.

oneupper
11-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Davis is so stingy that the infielders don't put on their gloves until the count's full. Very successful against impatient htters or with aid of accomodating umpires.

Glad to see him go to the desert.

VR
11-26-2006, 01:14 AM
1.51 WHIP would have been 6th on the Reds staff this year...behind BA, AH, EM, ER, KL. Gotta find more guys that keep em off the paths. I think his dominance of the Reds this year was more indicative of the Rojos lack of clutch hitting, cause they had plenty o' baserunners.

fewfirstchoice
11-26-2006, 01:28 AM
FCB I respect your opinions and enjoy reading them,but have you ever considered that your ability to access talent isnt that great.Anyone that watched Lohse last season for Cincy more than once could understand why we need to give him a chance in the rotation.Now Im not saying he is the next Martinez or Johnson but he does have talent.He is young and can throw in the mid 90's.If he can harbor his control and emotions he can be a solid starter.Im just saying give him 15 - 20 starts and I think you will be suprised.

mth123
11-26-2006, 01:49 AM
FCB I respect your opinions and enjoy reading them,but have you ever considered that your ability to access talent isnt that great.Anyone that watched Lohse last season for Cincy more than once could understand why we need to give him a chance in the rotation.Now Im not saying he is the next Martinez or Johnson but he does have talent.He is young and can throw in the mid 90's.If he can harbor his control and emotions he can be a solid starter.Im just saying give him 15 - 20 starts and I think you will be suprised.

I'll let FCB give his own answers, but IMO there are 5 years of very mediocre at best with Lohse while here we have a couple months of good which may have been simply the first time around the league effect. I wouldn't mind gambling with a guy like Lohse if it was cheap, but he made $4 Million last year and is Arb eligible. The current market makes him a little more attractive (but could up his Arb price as well) but if I'm taking that kind of gamble I trade Lohse for something and get a cheaper guy like a Belisle or some one similar from another organization. Otherwise, I use that money toward a more sure thing.

fewfirstchoice
11-26-2006, 02:08 AM
I think if we could get some good young talent back for Lohse trade him,but Im just saying if you dont trade him give him a chance.I for have no desire to see Belisle in the rotation.I think he is just a 6+ era waiting to happen.