PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some great books on the 70's squads

SteveJRogers
11-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Been on a "Teams of the 70's" kick recently, and am looking for some tomes on the Big Red Dynasty years.

I have the "Big Red Dynasty" book that came out a few years back, and that pretty much I guess is the Gold Standard, but are there any others? Besides autos of Morgan, Rose and Bench (Did Sparky put one out?)

Thanks

westofyou
11-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Just Reds?

Or other stuff from Baseball's Golden Age?

Degenerate39
11-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Sparky does have an autobiography out. I didn't like it too much from what I read. It was more about Detroit than Cincinnati through most of the early chapters.

SteveJRogers
11-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Just Reds?

Or other stuff from Baseball's Golden Age?

Calling the 70's a "Golden Age" hmmmm

Well if you got other fun book ideas please let me know.

I've read that book "Talkin' Baseball" that just got re-released under a new title, that was a good one. I just finished Bruce Marukesen's book on the Finley A's, like Big Red Dynasty that was a fine comprehensive "year-by-year" look at one of the best teams of all time.

westofyou
11-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Calling the 70's a "Golden Age" hmmmm

Baseball wise it sure was, a great balance of speed and power and pitching.

From my vantage point the game was a hell of a lot more interesting then than it is now and was the 20 years prior to the 70's.

Baseball in 70's

Five Seasons - Roger Angell
Late Innings - Roger Angel
Bronx Zoo - Sparky Lyle
Balls - Graig Nettles
Beyond the Sixth Game - Peter Gammons
Charlie Hustle - Pete Roses (First Bio)
Hustle - The Life and Times of Pete Rose

RFS62
11-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Baseball wise it sure was, a great balance of speed and power and pitching.

From my vantage point the game was a hell of a lot more interesting then than it is now and was the 20 years prior to the 70's.

Boy, howdy.

Chip R
11-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Here are a couple you may find interesting:

The Cincinnati Reds by Bruce Chadwick and David Spindel
This book is subtitled Memories and Memorabilia of the Big Red Machine. A lot of pictures in there of memorabilia not just from the 70s but throughout Reds history along with a narrative of the team's history.

Another book that was BRMcentric was Cincinnati and the Big Red Machine by Robert Walker. A really good interview in there with Bob Howsam.

Spitball
11-26-2006, 02:29 PM
The Longball by Tom Adelman was a huge disappointment for me. It was about the 1975 season and the World Series, but it lacked the style and content of the type of baseball book I enjoy.

RANDY IN INDY
11-26-2006, 02:38 PM
"The Pete Rose Story" an autobiography. 1970 World Publishing.

My introduction to Pete Rose, where he came from and his rise to stardom with the Cincinnati Reds. Received it on Christmas Day, 1970.

Chip R
11-26-2006, 02:40 PM
"The Pete Rose Story" an autobiography. 1970 World Publishing.

My introduction to Pete Rose, where he came from and his rise to stardom with the Cincinnati Reds. Received it on Christmas Day, 1970.

I thought we were talking about non-fiction books. ;)

gilpdawg
11-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I love the Bronx Zoo by Sparky Lyle. I'll bet your local library has it, and I think it's out of print now.

RedFanAlways1966
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
"Men of the Machine" (June 1977) by Dayton Daily News writer (and Hall-of-Famer), Ritter Collett.

http://www.allbookstores.com/book/0913428280/Ritter_Collett/Men_Of_The_Machine.html

"Relentless Reds" (Jan. 1976) by a younger Hal McCoy.

http://www.allbookstores.com/book/0916794016/Hal_Mccoy/Relentless_Reds.html

Heath
11-29-2006, 10:16 AM
The Longball by Tom Adelman was a huge disappointment for me. It was about the 1975 season and the World Series, but it lacked the style and content of the type of baseball book I enjoy.

Agreed. I have it, but I get the feeling that Tom Adelman wrote it like he was a high school senior giggling everytime he typed the f-word.

Beyond the Sixth Game - Peter Gammons
There's one I'm going to have to find.

Oh yeah - ultimate book for BRM - The Big Red Machine written by Rhodes & Snyder (or Erardi) Coffee table book, but good reading nonetheless.