PDA

View Full Version : Orioles further upgrade pen (Williamson, Bradford)

dabvu2498
11-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Scott Williamson -- 1 year, 900k+incentives

Chad Bradford deal in place but not official yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2678427

Ltlabner
11-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Wow...apparently bullpen fixation dissorder is spreading.

redsmetz
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Wow...apparently bullpen fixation dissorder is spreading.

I think it speaks to the woeful state of pitching in MLB today. There never seems to be enough. I don't know what the solution is.

RedsManRick
11-28-2006, 10:33 AM
If you can't get decent starters, just stack the bullpen 7 deep and give them half your IP.

NJReds
11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Bradford, Williamson, Walker, Baez and Ray is a pretty solid pen.

If teams are giving the Eatons and Lilly's of the world $8-$10M/year, then it makes sense to add solid pitchers to your pen. It's cheaper, and your starters only have average about 6 innings. It's not a bad strategy.

redsfanfalcon
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
We should've signed Williamson to a similar contract...I think he still has a house in Cincy, and he could have competed for the closer's role.

redsfan4445
11-28-2006, 11:34 AM
I wanted the Reds to get Bradford SIGH

NJReds
11-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I wanted the Reds to get Bradford SIGH

I was surprised to see him go to Baltimore. Last I read, it seemed he had all but signed to return to the Mets. This hurts the Mets pen, esp. if they move Heilman to the rotation.

M2
11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
If Scott Williamson's arm can stay attached, Leo Mazzone could get a scary good season from him.

TOBTTReds
11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Bradford, Williamson, Walker, Baez and Ray is a pretty solid pen.

If teams are giving the Eatons and Lilly's of the world $8-$10M/year, then it makes sense to add solid pitchers to your pen. It's cheaper, and your starters only have average about 6 innings. It's not a bad strategy.

Totally agree

buckeyenut
11-28-2006, 05:25 PM
If Scott Williamson's arm can stay attached, Leo Mazzone could get a scary good season from him.

Agree completely. I always loved watching him pitch

dougflynn23
11-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Agree completely. I always loved watching him pitch :eek: Doc Kremcheck likes watching Williamson pitch....the money he's made from MLB teams on Williamson's surgeries likely paid for a summer home in the Catskills for the Kremcheck family.

vaticanplum
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
In one of the most bizarre twists in baseball, the Orioles have some of the best pitching around as far as I'm concerned. Their farm system is pretty well-stocked with young talent. They have a handful of starters who are inconsistent: horrendous some days, but potentially five straight days of awesome. Their bullpen is pretty solid. This either means that they are so badly deficient in some other areas or all-around irreparably cracked, or that they may be a halfway decent team in a couple of years.

fearofpopvol1
11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
In one of the most bizarre twists in baseball, the Orioles have some of the best pitching around as far as I'm concerned. Their farm system is pretty well-stocked with young talent. They have a handful of starters who are inconsistent: horrendous some days, but potentially five straight days of awesome. Their bullpen is pretty solid. This either means that they are so badly deficient in some other areas or all-around irreparably cracked, or that they may be a halfway decent team in a couple of years.

See the Chicago Cubs the last couple seasons.

vaticanplum
11-28-2006, 06:41 PM
See the Chicago Cubs the last couple seasons.

That's a fair comparison. But I think that the pitching in the Orioles' system is better than what the Cubs have had. And their starting pitching right now is more balanced than one genuine ace and a couple of perpetually injured prodigies. Not as showy, but could be more solid.

OnBaseMachine
11-28-2006, 07:04 PM
The Reds could have used Williamson, who just happens to love the city btw. Instead we have Mike Stanton!!!!

Aronchis
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
The Reds could have used Williamson, who just happens to love the city btw. Instead we have Mike Stanton!!!!

They sure could use his 2 time TJ elbow and small frame pitcher. He is a retread.

Strikes Out Looking
11-28-2006, 07:41 PM
That's a fair comparison. But I think that the pitching in the Orioles' system is better than what the Cubs have had. And their starting pitching right now is more balanced than one genuine ace and a couple of perpetually injured prodigies. Not as showy, but could be more solid.

The difference between the O's and the Cubs (and many other teams) is the O's have Leo Mazzone. He won't wear out their young stud pitchers like the Cubs did (and will continue to do so).