PDA

View Full Version : .. Cards Adding Adam Kennedy, Wells, & Others

RedLegSuperStar
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Rotoworld.com

The Cardinals are close to signing Adam Kennedy to a three-year deal worth about $10 million, according to FOXSports.com.

That'd be a very good deal. It had looked like Kennedy would get about $15 million for three years. He's not going to be blocking anyone in St. Louis, so the lengthy contract isn't a problem. The team could use a right-handed hitter to platoon with him, and Aaron Miles isn't a great option.

Many here will compare this signing with the Reds signing Alex Gonzalez. So let me start it. Especially now if that is the price tag on Kennedy. Sure that would of saved 4 million.. but it may actually make some of the more recent moves less painful.

NJReds
11-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow. An DP combo of Eckstein and Kennedy.

That's scraptastic!

M2
11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Finally they get him back after giving him away all those years ago.

oneupper
11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Is could be just me, but the NL Central is looking VERY tough for 2007.

Johnny Footstool
11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Of all the words that could possibly describe this transaction, the most appropriate seems to be "meh."

Is could be just me, but the NL Central is looking VERY tough for 2007.

The signing of Adam Kennedy prompted this thought?

I was just thinking that this signing indicates the current level of mediocrity in the NL Central.

RedLegSuperStar
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
again from Rotoworld.com

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz, the Cardinals are set to announce the signings of Kip Wells, Adam Kennedy, Gary Bennett and Eli Marrero.

Wells could be a nice cheap solution at the back of an NL rotation, and he's the kind of pitcher Dave Duncan tends to have luck with, though last year's Sidney Ponson signing didn't work out at all. Bennett is going to stick around as the backup for Yadier Molina. Marrero reportedly is getting a minor league deal and the opportunity to compete for a bench spot.

Redsland
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM

That's scraptastic!
That's the kind of DP combo that could win a World Series for someone.

Redsland
11-28-2006, 04:49 PM
If this weren't an Adam Kennedy thread, I'd point out the minor league contract Eli Marrero just got.

VR
11-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Finally they get him back after giving him away all those years ago.

Just a throw in back in 2000 along with front line starter Kent Bottenfield for Jimmy.

Bottenfield almost quit baseball in 1995(?) when a Major league contract with the Tigers didn't materialize. His Toledo jersey was printed as "Buttenfield" and he didn't take that too well.

BRM
11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
If this weren't an Adam Kennedy thread, I'd point out the minor league contract Eli Marrero just got.

Marrero on a minor league deal. Moeller on a major league deal. Sounds about right...:help:

RedLegSuperStar
11-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Marrero on a minor league deal. Moeller on a major league deal. Sounds about right...:help:

I'd much rather have Marrero then Moeller

flyer85
11-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Wells could be a nice signing. I'm sure its probably one year with an options so if it doesn't work out it isn't a big deal.

BRM
11-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd much rather have Marrero then Moeller

He hasn't done much catching the last few years but I'd still take him over Moeller. Especially on a minor league deal.

flyer85
11-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Jocketty running rings around the others, as usual.

Gosh he didn't even give Marerro a major league deal. I am sure other GMs were standing in line to give a major league deal to Moeller, good thing Wayne beat 'em to it.

BRM
11-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Which combo would RedsZone rather have?

Kennedy 2B
Phillips SS

or

Phillips 2B
Gonzo SS

flyer85
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Kennedy 2B
Phillips SS

or

Phillips 2B
Gonzo SSseeing as there are question about how good BP really is as a defender and with the bat as well, maybe a 3rd option is needed(Kennedy/Gonzo).

NJReds
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Kennedy 2B
Phillips SS

or

Phillips 2B
Gonzo SS

Should be Kennedy/Phillips + $4M

A no-brainer if the FO is comfortable w/Phillips at SS. But apparently that was not an option for some reason.

flyer85
11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
But apparently that was not an option for some reason.maybe because he wasn't all that good at 2nd?

Redsland
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I am sure other GMs were standing in line to give a major league deal to Moeller, good thing Wayne beat 'em to it.
Particularly after all the teams ignored him on the Brewers waiver wire last season when they DFA'd him and then outrighted him to Nashville.

oneupper
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Of all the words that could possibly describe this transaction, the most appropriate seems to be "meh."

The signing of Adam Kennedy prompted this thought?

I was just thinking that this signing indicates the current level of mediocrity in the NL Central.

No...but it is an upgrade over Miles. As Soriano is an HUGE upgrade for the Cubs, and is Carlos Lee for the Astros.

The Brewers also seem to have improved with their trade.

Rojo
11-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Kennedy 2B
Phillips SS

or

Phillips 2B
Gonzo SS

I take the latter. Kennedy adds a few walks to the mix but I LOVE the range up the middle.

Johnny Footstool
11-28-2006, 05:21 PM
No...but it is an upgrade over Miles. As Soriano is an HUGE upgrade for the Cubs, and is Carlos Lee for the Astros.

Kennedy is a small upgrade, IMO. Lee upgrades the Astros offense, but they're suddenly hurting for pitching without Clemens and Pettitte.

The Cubs are spending like crazy to upgrade, like they always do. They still have to prove they can put it all together.

I thought the Brewers were better off with 200 innings of Doug Davis in the rotation than they are now.

Puffy
11-28-2006, 05:31 PM

I have nothing to add here - just wanted this to be repeated.

Falls City Beer
11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I'll keep both Gonzo and Phillips, thanks. I'm not smitten with either, but I really dislike the games of both Kennedy and Eckstein.

BRM
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I'll keep both Gonzo and Phillips, thanks. I'm not smitten with either, but I really dislike the games of both Kennedy and Eckstein.

You're biased against scrappiness. :p:

Rojo
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM
You're biased against scrappiness. :p:

Scrappy's nice, but so is sprinkling a few atheletes around.

Strikes Out Looking
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Kennedy 2B
Phillips SS

or

Phillips 2B
Gonzo SS

Our combo, their manager.

pedro
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM

Soriano in CF is a pretty scary defensive proposition if you ask me.

BRM
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM

He's going to leadoff as well. I didn't understand why Washington led him off and I don't understand why Chicago promised him the same.

M2
11-28-2006, 06:52 PM

Cubs fans should be duly terrified.

Our combo, their manager.

That's my basic take on it too.

blumj
11-28-2006, 07:03 PM
The Cards should have traded for Dustin Pedroia, if only to amuse me. I want to see the all little league sized DP combo of Eckstein-Pedroia play together. Oh, well, maybe someday.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Jocketty running rings around the others, as usual.

I wouldn't term the addition of Adam Kennedy and Kip Wells really "running rings" around anything.

It only looks like his organization is running like a Cadillac because we've been stuck riding in the Yugo so far.

OnBaseMachine
11-28-2006, 08:01 PM
The Cards signed four average to below average players. Good.

Heath
11-28-2006, 08:08 PM

and at arguably above average prices.

The Cubs are going to be in the tank come September.*

*(Princeton - mark this down as an early 2007 predictions thread, thanks!)

Rojo
11-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Jocketty's making the around-the-edges moves that a championship teams usually make. The problem is that the Cards are a pretty lousy championship team. Next he'll hire Bill Cowher.

Falls City Beer
11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Jocketty's making the around-the-edges moves that a championship teams usually make. The problem is that the Cards are a pretty lousy championship team. Next he'll hire Bill Cowher.

Come on. Walt Jocketty's got to be the GM of the Oughts. He's got an absolute Midas touch.

By my count, Jocketty's lost two big time moves in his entire tenure: the Dmitri Young for Brantley move and the Mulder for Haren trade--and both pitchers that he targeted were solid targets, they just happened to be injured, ultimately. Other than that, it's been little piddly moves that have fallen flat; every substantive move has paid off well or greatly.

Rojo
11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Come on. Walt Jocketty's got to be the GM of the Oughts. He's got an absolute Midas touch.

By my count, Jocketty's lost two big time moves in his entire tenure: the Dmitri Young for Brantley move and the Mulder for Haren trade--and both pitchers that he targeted were solid targets, they just happened to be injured, ultimately. Other than that, it's been little piddly moves that have fallen flat; every substantive move has paid off well or greatly.

Better than Beane? Cashman? Sabean, Towers, Epstein?

I'd rather have the Cardinal's marketing department, they've built the Cardinals into a regional powerhouse draw. Its given the team the ability to spend like a bigger city. Reds should examine this.

Falls City Beer
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Better than Beane? Cashman? Sabean, Towers, Epstein?

I'd rather have the Cardinal's marketing department, they've built the Cardinals into a regional powerhouse draw. Its given the team the ability to spend like a bigger city. Reds should examine this.

Beane's his only competition. And well, that little matter of a ring...

Rojo
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Beane's his only competition.

He typed with a straight face.

Falls City Beer
11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
He typed with a straight face.

Absolutely. Sure, they're different models, but Jocketty's been the better of the two when it's mattered.

Rojo
11-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Absolutely. Sure, they're different models, but Jocketty's been the better of the two when it's mattered.

Just like me and Warren Buffett.

Heath
11-28-2006, 09:28 PM

The Reds did have this......30 yrs ago.

Indy, Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, Charleston/Huntington, Dayton, all had Reds Fever in "Reds Country". Then, you had the 50,000 watt voice of the Midwest booming over these towns and then the little radio stations on the fringe would boom it out even more. The Reds had TV stations in the towns I just mentioned. The interstates would bring in loads of fans to the games. Market research on license plates in the parking lot had 60% of the fans from outside the Cincinnati ZipCodes.

Oh, one minor detail. The Reds were good then.

Right now those fringe fans aren't coming. The real fans are coming. I do my part with 10 or so games a year coming down from Dayton.

Last year I took a buddy down in August to see a game. We ended up (as I usually do) under the stacks in CF. Ended up talking to a guy in his late '40's. Long time season ticket holder and didn't renew them. He just gets the $5 seats and wanders with this son. He drives from Lexington, KY.

That's the way the Reds fans are going to be for a while until a winner shows up. People will keep buying the season tickets - whether its corporate or tradition.

Kansas City is another one. They had some serious regional stuff in the 70's and 80's. Now, that's nothing.

Falls City Beer
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Just like me and Warren Buffett.

Your unwillingness to concede that he is doesn't change the fact that Jocketty is every bit the GM that Beane is.

Beane's gone absolutely bonkers in constructing an offense the last three seasons.

oneupper
11-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Wells could be a nice signing. I'm sure its probably one year with an options so if it doesn't work out it isn't a big deal.

One year FOUR million for Wells. Kyle Lohse is beginning to look good..:(

RedEye
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM

Are you saying that Jocketty is a better clutch GM? Now there's a novel idea! I wonder how they'd calculate that sort of thing? I personally nominate two new stat categories for GMs: MWMISP (moves with money in scoring position) or maybe PTBNLH (player to be named later heists).

BTW, thanks for calling me up to the bigs! Nice to be here.

RedEye
11-28-2006, 09:49 PM

That's scraptastic!

Didn't I read somewhere that Kennedy has some of the best metrics for a middle infielder? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else...

MWM
11-28-2006, 11:31 PM
They can keep LaRussa.. Give me Dave Duncan. Tony's been riding that guy's coat tails for two decades now. If there was ONE thing I could take from the Cards it would be Dave Duncan first, Bill DeWitt second, and Walt Jocketty third. I've been saying on this board for years now that Jocketty was one of the premier GMs in the game (although, FCB is giving him too much credit for lucking into a WS this year). But given the choice between Walt and Beane, I'll take Beane. But I'd love to have Walt or Schuerholz. I don't even one is better at building from the ground up than Beane. Jocketty and Schuerholz have shown an other worldy ability to constantly make adjustments to keep good teams good over time.

NJReds
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Didn't I read somewhere that Kennedy has some of the best metrics for a middle infielder? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else...

No idea. I was just kidding around. I have nothing against Kennedy or Eckstein.

marcshoe
11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Hmmm...Kennedy. Eckstein. Spezio. Stick in a catcher named Molina....why does this all look so familiar?

Always Red
11-29-2006, 10:55 AM
They can keep LaRussa.. Give me Dave Duncan. Tony's been riding that guy's coat tails for two decades now. If there was ONE thing I could take from the Cards it would be Dave Duncan first, Bill DeWitt second, and Walt Jocketty third.

:beerme:

Heath
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Hmmm...Kennedy. Eckstein. Spezio. Stick in a catcher named Molina....why does this all look so familiar?

...they were all one time students in Mr. Kotter's class?? :confused:

Oh, ok. Gotcha. Another Los Angeles area team moves to St. Louis.

Light Bulb is now on...

MattyHo4Life
11-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Signing Adam Kennedy is a great move for the Cardinals IMO. Cardinals fans have been wanting Kennedy back for years. He will fit into LaRussa's style of play, the Cardinals slim budget for a 2B, and the Cardinals fan love for scrappy type players.

LoganBuck
11-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Scrappy-Doo Trade-aroo

Freel for Pujols

Why It works
Freel is the scrappiest player ever! He knows how to get his uniform dirty. Pujols would provide the right handed compliment to Hatty. That way Jerry Narron could use Pujols as a match up against lefties.

:thumbup:

PuffyPig
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Signing Adam Kennedy is a great move for the Cardinals IMO. Cardinals fans have been wanting Kennedy back for years. He will fit into LaRussa's style of play, the Cardinals slim budget for a 2B, and the Cardinals fan love for scrappy type players.

Can't hit very good, can't hit LH pitching at all, and isn't a very good fielder. And his numbers are declining.

What's not to like?

There's gonna be alot of ground balls up the middle this year in Cardinal land that will end up in the outfield. No wonder Suppan is high tailing it outta there.

OnBaseMachine
11-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Agreed. Signing a crappy player is a good move for the Cardinals.

MattyHo4Life
11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
No wonder Suppan is high tailing it outta there.

Is that a fact?

klw
12-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Scrappy-Doo Trade-aroo

Freel for Pujols

Why It works
Freel is the scrappiest player ever! He knows how to get his uniform dirty. Pujols would provide the right handed compliment to Hatty. That way Jerry Narron could use Pujols as a match up against lefties.

:thumbup:

This doesn't address the Reds need at closer so I would insist the Cards add Wainright to the deal too. :)