PDA

View Full Version : per sportsline.com.. Pitchers the Cardinals are talking about.

redsfan4445
11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
per sportsline.com

General manager Walt Jocketty said the Cardinals were in contact with three of their free-agent pitchers: Jeff Suppan, Jeff Weaver and Mark Mulder. He said the Cards also might try to sign Jason Schmidt and Barry Zito only if the price is right.

If this happens, the Reds have zero chance in competing for 2007..

BRM
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
If Jocketty breaks the bank for Schmidt AND Zito, the Central race is pretty much over.

shredda2000
11-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Is it me? Or are the Cards/Cubs slowly becoming the Yanks/Red Sox???

redsfan4445
11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Dont forget the Astros... 100 milion for Lee...

Falls City Beer
11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Is it me? Or are the Cards/Cubs slowly becoming the Yanks/Red Sox???

I don't know, but you can bet your buns that the Reds' PR department is gearing up the excuses for why they "can't compete in this market."

redsfan30
11-29-2006, 12:58 PM
There is no chance they will sign both Zito and Schmidt.

redsfan4445
11-29-2006, 12:59 PM

I am NOT taking that bet!!.. heck i didnt expect the Cubs to shell out money like they are.. and they even have a 44 or 45 million 3 year offer on the table for Schmidt!..

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I am NOT taking that bet!!.. heck i didnt expect the Cubs to shell out money like they are.. and they even have a 44 or 45 million 3 year offer on the table for Schmidt!..

The Cubs just released a statement that they have made no offer to schmidt.

NJReds
11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Why would Weaver want to leave St. Louis. This guy was just about out of baseball, found a comfort zone with Duncan and contributed to a World Series victory.

BRM
11-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Why would Weaver want to leave St. Louis. This guy was just about out of baseball, found a comfort zone with Duncan and contributed to a World Series victory.

Weaver would be crazy to leave St Louis.

Joseph
11-29-2006, 01:10 PM
What good GM wouldn't say they'd sign Zito and Schmidt if the price was right, the 'right' price might be 1 million per for 4 years. It's just GM speak, no reason to concede the season in November.

Spring~Fields
11-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Another problematic area, those competitors (Cards, Astro’s, Cubs) are always seeking to improve their teams through their trades, their minor league organization, and FA market right along with the Reds every season. The organization that does it best will be the ones most likely winning on the field, not just this season but into the future.

Sometimes I wish it was just up to the Reds, it might make improving the team easier, but unfortunately those "other" guys are working hard to improve theirs too.

Red Leader
11-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice, no mention of the Reds being one of the teams interested in Tomo Ohka.

Joy.

Always Red
11-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice, no mention of the Reds being one of the teams interested in Tomo Ohka.

Joy.

Wayne's working on an undercover deal to bring Johnny Franco and Jesse Orosco into the bullpen; you can never have enough 40+ year old lefties down there. But try to keep it quiet...

Casey_21
11-29-2006, 01:54 PM

There is no chance they will sign Zito OR Schmidt. :p:

Chip R
11-29-2006, 02:26 PM

Well, I don't think he's the brightest porchlight on the block. But he probably sees these contracts that are being offered and he wants his. I'll bet he would make more money somewhere else than if he did if he stayed in StL.

blumj
11-29-2006, 02:30 PM

Boras. What are the odds that Weaver ever gets another chance to cash in? He was lucky as hell to get this one.

Red Leader
11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Boras. What are the odds that Weaver ever gets another chance to cash in? He was lucky as hell to get this one.

Sure, blame this all on Borat. :D :p:

traderumor
11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Why would Weaver want to leave St. Louis. This guy was just about out of baseball, found a comfort zone with Duncan and contributed to a World Series victory.I would want to know why St. Louis would want Weaver. Surely the Super Genius team of Jocketty and LaRussa are smart enough to not pay the millions I'm sure he's looking for because he pitched well in the WS and against the Reds. The rest of the time, he likely made them pine for Ponson.

BRM
11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd bet Jocketty lets him walk if he's asking for a big contract.

maniem
11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I wonder if the Cards resign Mulder (which I expect to happen), it will help them in their attempt to sign Zito and reunite 2 of the "Big 3". I would imagine those two were pretty close while pitching in Oakland. I'm sure they'll use that to their advantage.

Chip R
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I'd bet Jocketty lets him walk if he's asking for a big contract.

I wouldn't blame him if he did.