PDA

View Full Version : Clayton a Blue Jay!

redsfan4445
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
per Rosenthal:

"The Blue Jays, acting to solidify their middle-infield defense, have reached agreement with free-agent shortstop Royce Clayton on a one-year, $1.5 million contract, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal, which is pending a physical, will enable the Jays to keep Aaron Hill at second base rather move him to shortstop. Second is Hill's stronger defensive position.
Clayton, 36, will be playing for his 10th major-league team and his sixth in the past six seasons. He began last season with the Nationals, then was traded to the Reds as part of a blockbuster deal in June.

Clayton's career on-base percentage is .313, and he has little power. However, the Jays should be formidable enough offensively after signing free-agent designated hitter Frank Thomas - presuming they keep center fielder Vernon Wells.

Clayton will provide veteran presence and stability, but no longer is an elite defender he had the third-lowest zone rating among the 15 qualifying National League shortstops last season.

Zone rating is the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive zone, as measured by STATS, Inc.

The team's next step is to sign a free-agent starting pitcher. Left-hander Ted Lilly and right-hander Gil Meche are among the Jays' targets.

The signing of Clayton removes one potential bidder for free-agent infielder Julio Lugo, who is drawing interest from the Red Sox, Cubs and Mets."

klw
11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Be nice everyone.:)

Jaycint
11-29-2006, 07:42 PM
per Rosenthal:

"The Blue Jays, acting to solidify their middle-infield defense, have reached agreement with free-agent shortstop Royce Clayton on a one-year, $1.5 million contract, FOXSports.com has learned.

Wow, now there's a comment I really don't even know how to start in on. Who'd they have there before? A cardboard cut out of Ozzie Smith?

mth123
11-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Clayton for all his faults has been a regular player. Does that mean draft pick? Not sure if he's an A, B, C or other.

MrCinatit
11-29-2006, 07:50 PM
When Clayton enters the Hall-of-Fame with the Toronto thingy on his cap, we will be lamenting "the one who got away."

Cyclone792
11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Clayton for all his faults has been a regular player. Does that mean draft pick? Not sure if he's an A, B, C or other.

Clayton was a Type C free agent.

Falls City Beer
11-29-2006, 07:59 PM

There's nothing quite like referring to Royce Clayton in the past tense.

cincy09
11-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Clayton a Blue Jay!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

vaticanplum
11-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow, now there's a comment I really don't even know how to start in on. Who'd they have there before? A cardboard cut out of Ozzie Smith?

I don't know if I'm just not getting out enough, but I honestly have laughing pains from this board lately.

Tom Servo
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Now if only someone could just sign Joe Mays we'll be set.

mound_patrol
11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
This is a real bummer. I was really wishing that Clayton would sign with someone in the NL Central other than the Reds. Maybe see the cubs with a Womack Clayton middle of the infield. That would just make my day.

Spring~Fields
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Are you sure that they did not sign him as a roving instructor?

RichRed
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Royce Clayton - the hepatitis of shortstops.

Oh wait, that's not nice, is it? :evil:

WMR
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM
AHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA Way to flush 1.5 mil down the tubes Ricciardi.

mound_patrol
11-29-2006, 08:52 PM
per Rosenthal:

"The Blue Jays, acting to solidify their middle-infield defense

Clayton's career on-base percentage is .313, and he has little power.

Clayton will provide veteran presence and stability, but no longer is an elite defender he had the third-lowest zone rating among the 15 qualifying National League shortstops last season.

Mets."

Why did they sign him again? Why is he making 1.5 million american dollars? (or maybe they tricked him in getting canadian money) Good ridance

Red in Chicago
11-29-2006, 08:52 PM
1.5 million to suck...wow, how many people have that kind of cush job:p:

MrCinatit
11-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Are you sure that they did not sign him as a roving instructor?

They actually did, but he will be wearing a glove much of the time. His teaching agenda will include "just missing that grounder" and "not hitting pitches".

harangatang
11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Riccardi didn't let Milton get to him but apparently that slick-fielding shortstop did.

blumj
11-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I call BS. Royce Clayton allows them to keep Hill at 2nd, and takes them out of the running for Lugo? Yeah, right, that's what JP wants someone to think, anyway.

Reds Nd2
11-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Riccardi didn't let Milton get to him but apparently that slick-fielding shortstop did.

Cool. I need a new sig anyway.

BigRed
11-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Does that not make you feel better about us getting Gonzalez? Gonzalez does not make us feel like we're getting a hall of fame SS, but compared to Clayton, he is Ozzie Smith defensively.

BUTLER REDSFAN
11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
the past six seasons. He began last season with the Nationals, then was traded to the Reds as part of a blockbuster deal in June.

blockbuster???????????

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
the past six seasons. He began last season with the Nationals, then was traded to the Reds as part of a blockbuster deal in June.

blockbuster???????????

It was a blockbuster for the Nats, if only because it's one of the more disparate trades in recent memory considering value received vs. value lost.

MartyFan
11-30-2006, 02:53 AM
When Clayton enters the Hall-of-Fame with the Toronto thingy on his cap, we will be lamenting "the one who got away."

I laughed so hard I woke the entire house...that is too stinkin funny!

CWRed
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
I wonder if Royce will remain scrappy and play the game the right way if he leaves Cincy? ;)

Will M
11-30-2006, 02:48 PM
1. Clayton was supposed to be what Gonzalez is - a great defensive SS with a weak ( but not AAA ) bat. Krivsky screwed up on 'the trade' and has now gotten the SS he wanted to begin with.

2. Toronto has now screwed up. They think they are getting Clayton ala 2001 ( when he WAS a great defensive SS ) when they aren't.