PDA

View Full Version : Santiago eyeing comeback

savafan
12-01-2006, 03:16 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061130&content_id=1747935&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

Benito Santiago wants back in.

Santiago is playing Winter Ball in his native Puerto Rico, hoping to prove that he still has the arm and the skills behind the plate to be a contributor on a contending club. It's been a year and a half since he appeared in what many folks thought was his last Major League game, but, at 41, Santiago says he is rested and ready to return.

Several teams have scouted Santiago during his comeback attempt -- he's hitting .250 with five RBIs through 14 games with Ponce -- and the former National League Rookie of the Year has expressed an interest in playing for either Philadelphia or Texas. Santiago, who has thrown out 13 of 15 runners trying to steal this season, believes he can be a valuable asset to a young pitching staff, particularly the one in Philadelphia.

"I bring a lot of energy to a staff," said Santiago, a career .263 hitter in 20 Major League seasons. "Just talk to Jason Schmidt [with whom he was a teammate in San Francisco from 2001-03]. My experience brings a lot to those guys. Everywhere I've played, the team ERA has gone down. I've been doing the job with young guys for a long time, and my pride has always been as a catcher. I can help these guys be someone in the future."

Santiago is a five-time All-Star who won the National League Championship Series MVP Award in 2002 with the Giants. He has three Gold Gloves to his credit, and with the suddenly burgeoning group of 40-somethings dotting Major League rosters, Santiago figures he has nothing to lose.

He last played for the Pirates in 2005, appearing in six games and going 6-for-23 (.261). He also played in the Mets' farm system that year, splitting time between Triple-A Norfolk and Class A St. Lucie, where he went 11-for-42 (.262) in nine games with five RBIs.

hot stove
Complete coverage >

"The fact that I'm 41 doesn't make me old," Santiago said. "I feel pretty good about this. Just because I haven't played the last couple of years doesn't mean I'm out. I went home and I didn't have any injuries, and now I've decided to come back. People tell you they don't miss the game, but they lie. You always miss the game.

"I think I can help anybody. I'm playing like I was five or six years ago. And if someone comes to see me in Puerto Rico, they'll see it, too."

Santiago said he'd listen if a team wanted to send him to Triple-A, but that he would have to discuss any such move with his agents, Joe Rosario and Joe Longo.

redsfan4445
12-01-2006, 06:51 AM
i would rather had him than Moheller!!!!!!!!!!!
espiecaly if there was a trade in the works.. but oh well..

redsmetz
12-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Can Ricky be far behind?

corkedbat
12-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Ricky is a behind

dfs
12-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Weirder things have happened than a Santiago comeback.

In 1940 the reds were looking to get back to the series to avenge the loss in 39. The reds primary catcher Big Ernie Lombardie was dinged up and couldn't play and in August his promising backup Wally Hershberger killed himself because ...well, it's a long story from a different time.

The reds turned to the 40 year old Jimmie Wilson who had not had a decent hitting season in 10 years and was really on the roster in a bullpen/coach role. Wilson was one of the big stars of the series. He hit 353, stole a base and caught most of the innings thrown. The catcher for the Gas House Gang, Wilson had been a player/manager with the Phillies and went on to manage the cubs.

Redsland
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
He's 41 years old and plays a position for which we have too many players already.

Look for a guaranteed contract, a 40-man spot, and a multi-year deal to be announced at Redsfest.

:)

crazybob60
12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I bet he ends up with the Mets.

penantboundreds
12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
does this mean he is back on roids?

fearofpopvol1
12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
He's 41 years old and plays a position for which we have too many players already.

Look for a guaranteed contract, a 40-man spot, and a multi-year deal to be announced at Redsfest.

:)

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Will M
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
does this mean he is back on roids?

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

cacollinsmba
12-01-2006, 03:25 PM
In time, with the right technology, perhaps we can resurrect Bo Diaz.

redsupport
12-01-2006, 03:28 PM
He is scrappy

BoydsOfSummer
12-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Slowest Red ever. Lombardi, Casey,Aurilia or Diaz?

George Foster
12-01-2006, 10:51 PM
In time, with the right technology, perhaps we can resurrect Bo Diaz.

I don't think that many people on this board knows that Bo had his head cut off when his satilite dish fell on him while he was working on it. Back when they were as big as a volvo. This was dark humor which I like, but also makes me feel evil as well.:confused:

George Foster
12-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I bet he ends up with the Mets.

I bet he's broke! And needs the money.

MartyFan
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
If the guy can still throw runners out...he's good behind the plate...I'd love to have him on the team. One year deal with an option...why the heck not?

BoydsOfSummer
12-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Benito was a spider behind the plate. I'd bet he's better now at 41 than what we have.

I just finished a replay of the '95 Reds, so I may be clouded

MartyFan
12-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Just noticed that the Red Sox did not offer arbitration to Doug Mirabelli, any interest that we should have in him?

Highlifeman21
12-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Slowest Red ever. Lombardi, Casey,Aurilia or Diaz?

Casey, Lombardi, Aurilia, Diaz.... In that order.