PDA

View Full Version : Reds reveal plans for riverboat pavilion

reds44
12-01-2006, 06:42 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061201&content_id=1749083&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- A new feature is coming to Great American Ball Park that will allow Reds fans to see home run balls both coming and going.
In a special three-year partnership announced Friday during the opening of Redsfest, the Reds and Cincinnati Bell revealed plans for a new and improved party area above the center-field batter's eye.

Called the Cincinnati Bell Technology Pavilion, a new two-story riverboat will be built while the existing lower pavilion is slated to undergo a renovation.

The new pavilion will also serve as a meeting and technology center that is open year-round. Inside, Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions will display and demo vendor products and services for prospective clients.

What does this mean for Reds fans? The spot will also be a new place to watch the game.

The 7,500-square-foot rooftop deck will hold about 150 fans. Another 170 fans can gather in the 3,200-square-foot indoor technology center with access to the rooftop deck.

Since the ballpark opened in 2003, several home runs have entered or cleared the batter's eye area. It could offer fans on the rooftop deck and interesting perspective of the game.

"What began as a renovation process quickly blossomed into a unique partnership with Cincinnati Bell," Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini said in a statement. "While we wanted to make the center field area of the ballpark more fan friendly, Cincinnati Bell added a dimension to it that benefits both its technology solutions arm and the Reds. It's a very innovative use of that space."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2006/12/01/nuB3JEvo.jpg

Wow, sounds pretty cool.

ochre
12-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Can it pitch?

Yachtzee
12-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Can it pitch?

Well, it would be nice if Cincinnati Bell could sponsor a pitcher, but after the whole Andy Messersmith "Channel 17" incident, I don't think MLB would go for it unless we sign another one of Buddy's kids. Does he have any kids who can pitch? ;)

redsrule2500
12-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Cincinnati Bell and Great American Insurance are great sponsers to have!

Sounds very cool btw

BoydsOfSummer
12-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Open up some real riverboat gambling out there, all proceeds go to acquiring pitching!

18? Hit me.

MartyFan
12-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I Love These Guys...

Caseyfan21
12-02-2006, 12:01 AM
A Renovation for a stadium that's going into its fifth year?

I do think the stadium needs more things like this that would make it unique. Too boring for my taste inside the actual seating bowl right now.

Ltlabner
12-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I've always hated the Pepsi Power Stacks. They look cheesy and out of place. But, they might actually work if they are blended into this design. Solves two problems....the hideous batters eye and the power stacks...all in one fell swoop.

ochre
12-02-2006, 12:23 PM
To be really innovative, they should mount said 'riverboat' to some sort of 'track' and have it travel along the rightfield skyline when homeruns are hit, emitting smoke along the way... :)

RBA
12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
To be really innovative, they should mount said 'riverboat' to some sort of 'track' and have it travel along the rightfield skyline when homeruns are hit, emitting smoke along the way... :)

What's the saying about great minds? I was thinking the same thing. Maybe mediocre minds think alike too?

Yachtzee
12-02-2006, 05:35 PM
I wasn't thinking about a track, but I was thinking that it would be cool if they replaced the grassy area in front of the current batter's eye pavilion with one of those pools that circulates water through (like what swimmers use to exercise) and then have a moving paddle wheel on the riverboat that paddles through the pool, simulating the churn of the paddle wheel on the Ohio. Imagine players hitting home runs into that.

Red in Chicago
12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
ochre and yachtzee...you should both submit your ideas to the reds...:thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Anything that takes a page out of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' playbook is OK by me. :)

http://www.rtreto.com/rtreto004001.jpg

BuckWoody
12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Here are some pictures of the model of it that I posted in the RedsFest Pictures thread:

Clicky. (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1204254#post1204254)

redsfanmia
12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
This is an improvement. Kudo's to new ownership on this one. I wish they would have been in power during the building of the staduim, maybe it would be something special instead of something bleech.

butlerbulldogs
12-04-2006, 11:27 AM
awesome idea, looks good

paintmered
12-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I love the sound of this. Maybe now the power stacks won't look so out of place.

It'd be great if they had that thing with a set of whistles to play at different points during the game. It looks like the whistles will be there from the model, I just wonder if they will be functional.

westofyou
12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/sun.gif

Redsland
12-04-2006, 02:40 PM
It'd be great if they had that thing with a set of whistles to play at different points during the game.
If you're referring to a calliope, I will personally burn the stadium down if they stick one of those infernal contraptions in it.

KittyDuran
04-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Was just down at the ballpark trying to get some pics from my old perch (the plaza between GABP and the arena) - but it was blocked by this Riverboat Deck.:( They were putting the final touches on. To the right of the batter's eye - pretty much where the smokers tended to mass by the bleachers - they have something called Club Red w/wooden tables, chairs and a bar. It looks something like the Frontgate suite in the gap. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Some useless info... the pillars around the big red paddlewheel off of Meiring Way now chime instead of spewing steam...:)

wheels
04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Was just down at the ballpark trying to get some pics from my old perch (the plaza between GABP and the arena) - but it was blocked by this Riverboat Deck.:( They were putting the final touches on. To the right of the batter's eye - pretty much where the smokers tended to mass by the bleachers - they have something called Club Red w/wooden tables, chairs and a bar. It looks something like the Frontgate suite in the gap. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Some useless info... the pillars around the big red paddlewheel off of Meiring Way now chime instead of spewing steam...:)

So you're saying it's done?

That was quick.

paintmered
04-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I drove past it Friday afternoon. It looked to be 90% complete at that time.

From what I saw of it, it should be a nice addition and add a little more character to an otherwise bland outfield section.

Redsland
04-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Word on the street is that it will have a calliope.

I hate calliopes.

And, no, I'm not kidding on either count.

reds44
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I drove past it Friday afternoon. It looked to be 90% complete at that time.

From what I saw of it, it should be a nice addition and add a little more character to an otherwise bland outfield section.
*Sigh*

I need to move to Cincinnati so I can do things like that.

vaticanplum
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
So you're saying it's done?

That was quick.

Whatever they were doing this round is done. I didn't think it would be, but Mehring Way was back to four lanes rather than two all last week because there were no more construction vehicles out, and there was only one crane left inside the stadium (which was gone by Friday).

I'm surprised at how little this has been advertised, by the way. I don't think most people even know it's happening.

wheels
04-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Anything will be better than the bland maze of concrete out there.

I'm guessing and hoping that people can still hang out under the power stacks. Stupid as they are it's a good place to meet up, and beer somehow tastes better when I'm under the cool mist.

wheels
04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Word on the street is that it will have a calliope.

I hate calliopes.

And, no, I'm not kidding on either count.

Freakin' calliopes.

I share your disdain.

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2007, 12:40 AM
http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=AB&Dato=20070401&Kategori=SPT04&Lopenr=704020803&Ref=PH&Item=12&MaxH=320&MaxW=375&Border=1

DoogMinAmo
04-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Color me unimpressed.

Bleh.

Marc D
04-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Artist rendition of availible saftey modifications to Riverboat Pavilion should Milton make it back from the DL

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/history/ships/fishawk/net.jpg

creek14
04-02-2007, 05:54 AM
When I was reading the first post I was thinking (wishing) it was an April Fools joke.

Way too gimicky for me.

Put a good team on the field and you don't need the kiss cam and the fan zone and this to draw in fans.

wheels
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I like it.

It'll look really good with people on it.

reds44
04-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I like it.

It'll look really good with people on it.
I agree, I like it. It makes the power stacks look less out of place.

TeamCasey
04-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I like it. Gives the joint more personality.

paintmered
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I agree, I like it. It makes the power stacks look less out of place.

Yeah, it really does. The batters eye is hardly noticeable now with the riverboat pavilion. There was a good sized crowd hanging out there the entire game which made it look all the better.

It may have even contributed to some of the empty seats around the stadium as fans elected to hang out at the riverboat rather than sit in their seats.

Caveat Emperor
04-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I like it. Gives the joint more personality.

I like it -- I'd even go so far as to say they could do even more with it, making it look more like an actual riverboat in the outfield.

It really completes the outfield. With the added electronic signage over the batters eye, it really eliminates a lot of dead space.

Ltlabner
04-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree with the general opinion. I'm not a big 'riverboat fan' or anything but it just seemed to fit with the space. It took a horrable part of the stadium and now it seems to flow.

I also liked the graphics they added to the main scoreboard to review each player's at bats that day when they came up to bat. The graphics looked like an offical score card. I couldn't make out all of it from where I was sitting, but what I did see, I liked.

paintmered
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
For those who haven't seen it yet....

Sea Ray
04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, it really does. The batters eye is hardly noticeable now with the riverboat pavilion. There was a good sized crowd hanging out there the entire game which made it look all the better.

It may have even contributed to some of the empty seats around the stadium as fans elected to hang out at the riverboat rather than sit in their seats.

So anyone can go hang out there or do you need a $60 club seat ticket?