PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Upsets USC

MWM
12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
UCLA is up on USC 13-9 with the ball and 7 minutes left in the game. IMO, even if USC pulls this one out, today's showing should be enough to propell Michigan to #2. It probably won't happen, but that's how I see it.

And by watching the SEC title game, I'm not sure Florida isn't better than USC to begin with. With Florida's schedule, they have every right in the world to assert a right to play for the National Title.

#1 - OSU
#2 - Michigan
#3 - Florida
#4 - USC

MWM
12-02-2006, 07:25 PM
USC just got real lucky. That hard hit on the QB on 3rd and 10 with 6 minutes left was CLEARLY a lead with the helmet hit. It was just as much a personal foul as Gable's hit against Troy Smith.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Lane Kiffin sucks.

WMR
12-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Hahahahahahhaa... UCLA makes the interception! I hate USC.

Matt700wlw
12-02-2006, 07:41 PM
In 1:10...the rematch will should be official

MWM
12-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, that should do it.

Looks like we're going to have a rematch. I'm absolutely FLOORED by this today. I think a lot of people read too much into last week's Notre Dame game. USC is really good, but they've been squeaking out wins most of the year. Next year they might be unbeatable, but this year they aren't National Championship caliber.

Looks like Florida will wind up getting screwed.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh well. We lost. Lane Kiffin sucks, and Mark Sanchez should be the starting QB next year.

This was a rebuilding year and I predicted 9-3 anyway, so 10-2 is still good, but I hate losing to damn Fucla.

Oh well. I love the Rose Bowl and it's the best bowl of 'em all, so I'm still satisfied.

WMR
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Is there any way that Florida gets in? I guess they'd have to really run it up against Arkansas...

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Looks like Florida will wind up getting screwed.

Agreed -- I still don't get how you can tell the SEC champions, at 1 loss, that they can't play for the national title, given how brutal that conference is.

WMR
12-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm sure everyone over at ESPN is shedding a few tears right now...

MWM
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
This stinks for OSU fans. They had a much better chance of beating USC than they do of beating MIchigan again. The best thing BUckeye fans can do is hope like hell Florida scores another 40 points in the second half.

This USC loss has to be one of the biggest choke jobs in recent memory.

Buckeye33
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
It should be quite interesting to watch the 2nd half of UF vs Arkansas. UF is going to have to put up 21+ points in the 2nd half to pass Michigan in the polls. Also, not give up any. A 38-7 win would probably put them into the championship game.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Hopefully Lane Kiffin is fired after this disaster.

WMR
12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
C'mon Buckeye fans... don't you believe in your team??? What could be sweeter than beating Michigan twice in one season, once for the Big Ten and the other for the National Championship?

Buckeye33
12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
This stinks for OSU fans. They had a much better chance of beating USC than they do of beating MIchigan again. The best thing BUckeye fans can do is hope like hell Florida scores another 40 points in the second half.

This USC loss has to be one of the biggest choke jobs in recent memory.

Bring on either Michigan or Florida. OSU gave up 3 turnovers to Michigans 0 and we still beat UM. As well, a crap pass interference call made it a 3 point win instead of 10.

I have complete confidence in Tressel and staff to out prepare LLLLLoydd Carr. I believe Florida has better skill people on offense than UM does anyway.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I heard that if Florida beats AR tonight they will pass Michigan for the Title game. That would be a travesty.

Urban Cryer.

However, scouts.com just updated their bowl projections and yep, they predict UM will sneak in and get the rematch.

This is why college football is so great. Totally unpredictable.

GO BLUE

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:09 PM
I gotta give the bRuins credit, they have an incredible defensive line. But Lane Kiffin has got to go, that guy is an awful offensive coordinator.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 08:11 PM
I gotta give the bRuins credit, they have an incredible defensive line. But Lane Kiffin has got to go, that guy is an awful offensive coordinator.

I heard no one saying how inept he was last week. The Bruins had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and have an outstanding defensive line.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
I heard no one saying how inept he was last week. The Bruins had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and have an outstanding defensive line.

I was. I, along with many other Trojan fans, have been all over his playcalling since last year. He is just so predictable and boring.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Hopefully Lane Kiffin is fired after this disaster.

Good -- fire him so that we can bring him to Tulane as the head coach.

dman
12-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Pete Carroll=:cry:

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Good -- fire him so that we can bring him to Tulane as the head coach.

Please take him.

I would love to see SC offer Norm Chow a huge deal to come back, but he's most likely going to Arizona State. ASU will become the dominant program they should already be if/when they hire Chow. Anyway, since Chow isn't a realistic choice to take over for Kiffin, my nomination goes to USC QB's coach Steve Sarkisian. The guy is an offensive genius and he knows Norm Chow's offense like the back of his hand.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Pete Carroll=:cry:

Nothing but a complete CLASS guy. He made no excuses and gave FUCLA full credit. Pete is very classy.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 08:21 PM
I was. I, along with many other Trojan fans, have been all over his playcalling since last year. He is just so predictable and boring.

I was under the impression that Pete Carroll had partial control over the playcalling. maybe I'm wrong.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I was under the impression that Pete Carroll had partial control over the playcalling. maybe I'm wrong.

Pete is in charge of the defense; Kiffin has control of the offense.

dman
12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Nothing but a complete CLASS guy. He made no excuses and gave FUCLA full credit. Pete is very classy.

I will agree that he was very classy today, given what had just happened to his team. And, for me to say that he's a cry baby is out of line. He gets a lot of calls to go his way with the refs, but as a coach, that's what he's supposed to do.

westofyou
12-02-2006, 08:24 PM

FUCLA

Not that it matters... but why the hate on the UC school?

At least it's not the university of spoiled children (See I can say this... I'm a UC Grad ;0)

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
USC really didn't stretch the field at all today. Other than that, Booty got ansty in the pocket and UCLA made it very difficult for him by the constant pressure.

I'm not sure if it was the USC offensive playcalling or if the UCLA defense was just too much. I just kept waiting for that long pass or a broken tackle in the secondary for a long score...it never happened. My wife and I both said at the start of the 4th that we both thought that USC would win it in the end. It almost happened.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Not that it matters... but why the hate on the UC school?

At least it's not the university of spoiled children (See I can say this... I'm a UC Grad ;0)

UCLA is SC's main rival. Much like the St. Louis Cardinals, I hate the UCLA bRuins because they are a rival to my team. It has nothing to do with them being a UC school.

btw, which school did you graduate from?

Matt700wlw
12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Arkansas is up 21-17 in the 3rd.

OnBaseMachine
USC really didn't stretch the field at all today. Other than that, Booty got ansty in the pocket and UCLA made it very difficult for him by the constant pressure.

Lane Kiffin doesn't believe in stretching the field. He likes to throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and long, or run the ball on 3rd and 15. UCLA was playing a freshman at CB, Kiffin should have been throwing deep towards him all day long. Jarrett is the best WR in the country...unfortunately, Kiffin didn't send his deep enough.

westofyou
UCLA is SC's main rival. Much like the St. Louis Cardinals, I hate the UCLA bRuins because they are a rival to my team. It has nothing to do with them being a UC school.

btw, which school did you graduate from?

UCSC.. we had no team.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Lane Kiffin doesn't believe in stretching the field. He likes to throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and long, or run the ball on 3rd and 15. UCLA was playing a freshman at CB, Kiffin should have been throwing deep towards him all day long. Jarrett is the best WR in the country...unfortunately, Kiffin didn't send his deep enough.

They stretched the field against ND last weekend...of course, ND defense is not very good and they allowed SC to run AND pass.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:34 PM
UCSC.. we had no team.

Santa Clara? IIRC, they usually field a pretty good baseball and basketball team.

westofyou
12-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Santa Clara? IIRC, they usually field a pretty good baseball and basketball team.

Santa Cruz... we had surf and earthquakes.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Santa Cruz... we had surf and earthquakes.

So you're a slug huh? :cool:

SunDeck
12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I didn't get to see this game today because I was at work. Here's my prediction; no way will the BCS give the national title game to the all too deserving Michigan Wolverines.

westofyou
12-02-2006, 08:44 PM
So you're a slug huh? :cool:

Who grew up in Michigan... including Ann Arbor. So I have my own favorite.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I didn't get to see this game today because I was at work. Here's my prediction; no way will the BCS give the national title game to the all too deserving Michigan Wolverines.

are you serious? NO WAY? I would be outraged if they don't put Michigan in the title game given that if FL wins, they aren't go to blow out AR.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Who grew up in Michigan... including Ann Arbor. So I have my own favorite.

Living on the west coast now, I'd bet you've probably seen a few Michigan games in the Rose Bowl?

SunDeck
12-02-2006, 08:47 PM
are you serious? NO WAY? I would be outraged if they don't put Michigan in the title game given that if FL wins, they aren't go to blow out AR.

By all means, they deserve it and I hope I'm wrong. But, I think the BCS is a crock and I don't trust them to do the right thing.

westofyou
12-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Living on the west coast now, I'd bet you've probably seen a few Michigan games in the Rose Bowl?

Nope... hate LA, always used to do music on NYE Eve... or was in Cincinnati, plus I pretty much loath football... except UM or the Bengals.

westofyou
12-02-2006, 08:48 PM
By all means, they deserve it and I hope I'm wrong. But, I think the BCS is a crock and I don't trust them to do the right thing.
The BCS is Bud Selig with a college degree.

SunDeck
12-02-2006, 08:50 PM
The BCS is Bud Selig with a college degree.

Is his middle name Chester? Hmm...

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Nope... hate LA, always used to do music on NYE Eve... or was in Cincinnati, plus I pretty much loath football... except UM or the Bengals.

Agreed with you on football. College football is the only football I can bear watching.

Matt700wlw
12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Florida just scored again.... up 31-21 (as long as they make the PAT)

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 09:03 PM
let the debate begin. Florida looks like they may have garnered the mo' on this one. But this isn't going to be a blowout.

either the winner of the SEC with one loss to Auburn, or
the 2nd place finisher in the B10 who also has one loss but to the #1 team on their home turf in the last game.

It's going to be close thats for sure.

RedFanAlways1966
12-02-2006, 09:10 PM
The best two teams should play in the title game. The best two seem to be OSU & UM. However, as an OSU fan...

(a) Just doesn't seem fair to OSU to have to beat UM twice to be the champ.
(b) Doesn't seem fair that UM could go 1-1 against OSU and be national champ... while OSU would also be 1-1 against UM and not be national champ.
(c) Just seems wrong that OSU & UM would ever play twice in a season!
(d) Seems as though the matchup in Columbus was do-or-die for both OSU and UM. Win and you go to AZ... lose and you go to Pasadena. See (c).

Such a tangled web the BCS weaves. :help:

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I would love to see one of those classic USC-Michigan Rose Bowls, however, I wouldn't mind seeing Michigan beat OSU for the NC.

cinredsfan2000
12-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Fla scores again 38 -28 .

Patpacillosjock
12-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Florida, if they win the SEC, should get in...I dont want another Auburn situation from a few years...the BCS should make it up to the SEC this year..I dont want to see a rematch..thats stupid.

if Florida wins out and is denied, the SEC will probably be the front and center this off-season to get a playoff going and not rely on the BCS anymore

cinredsfan2000
12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Gators win let the debate begin.

Virginia Beach Reds
Go Blue!

We should see a rematch. Despite Gary Danielson lobbying for Florida to play.

this BCS stuff stinks.

Matt700wlw
Debate time!!

Chip R
12-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Florida has a great case to make it. But it would be so tough to deny Michigan whose only loss was by 3 at tOSU. And if that makes them go to a playoff, all the better.

kbrake
12-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Florida should be in. They played in a much tougher conference and their one loss had a very controversial call. UM has had a good season but they had their chance.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I have the distinct feeling that FL will get the chance and jump over Michigan for the second week in a row. This is crazy.

And, LSU has already sold tons of tickets for the Rose Bowl. I think that plays TOWARDS the rematch, actually.

I have no idea.

cinredsfan2000
12-02-2006, 10:03 PM
this BCS stuff stinks.

I agree but if FLA. gets overlooked for Mich. I think there will be a lot of people other than sports writers and fans calling for a playoff system. Personally i want to see a Fla. vs. Ohio st. matchup but im alright with it if MICH. gets the nodd .Just glad USC got beat. Maybe that will finally put to rest the talk of usc of being the best dynasty ever since insert team name here .

kbrake
12-02-2006, 10:11 PM
USC has still had one hell of a run regardless of what happend tonight. What Pete Carrol has done at USC is remarkable. I for one dont want a playoff system. While I dont think the BCS is even close to perfect a playoff would take so much of what makes college football great away. OSU/UM the first time would not have been a big deal at all as both teams would have made the playoffs. USC losing today no one would have cared because most likely they would have still been in. I think it really would take alot away.

pedro
12-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I think Florida is more deserving than USC would have been if they had squeaked it out.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Florida should be in. They played in a much tougher conference and their one loss had a very controversial call. UM has had a good season but they had their chance.

Agreed.

No confercnce title = No national championship shot.

cincinnati chili
12-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Agreed.

I like the rule simply because it means Notre Dame will NEVER get a nat'l championship spot.

kbrake
12-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I like the rule simply because it means Notre Dame will NEVER get a nat'l championship spot.

Never thought of it like that but I must admit a very good point.

Cedric
12-02-2006, 10:26 PM

You blame Kiffin for that incredibly weak performance from an Offensive line? OC get all the blame and little of the credit.

USC lost that game with their inability to run the football and their false starts every other play.

Dwayne Jarett is a good player also, but he sometimes takes himself out of routes because he doesn't work hard enough. Calvin Johnson is a better player by a wide margin. He just has one of the worst offenses and Qb in the nation.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I can see both sides. As a UM fan, I am slightly biased.

It should be very intriguing when the announcement is made tomorrow.

As I've said before, I think FL will squeek is out, but is not the second best team in this college football. ESPN started a poll around 9 and it is 2/3 if favor of the rematch.

we'll see.

BuckeyeRed27
12-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I just got back from the Rose Bowl. That was a really fun game. I'm a Buckeye but I coach rowing for the Bruins right now so I was pulling for UCLA. I'd never been to a game where the stands were almost 50/50 so that made it kind of fun.

As far as who OSU plays I think it should be Florida. Michigan is a great team who had their shot and lost. A team from another conference deserves a chance to win the NC. I know a lot of people don't like Florida because they have had some close calls and won ugly. Well the 2002 Buckeyes team did the same thing the difference being they did win all of their games. Auburn isn't a bad loss though.

dman
12-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a gut feeling it will be an OSU/Florida matchup. There would be a lot of controversy in all of that money from the BCS championship game all going to the Big 10.

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Screens and draws are how you beat the pass rush. Kiffin ran no more than one of those two plays the whole game. The OL deserves some blame, but Kiffin's playcalling was awful.

And I'll take Jarrett over Johnson everyday of the week. Both are studs but I like Jarrett more.

MWM
12-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Well, one thing's for certain. Someone is getting screwed. It's just a matter of who.

Honestly, I think Michigan is the better team and both MIchigan and OSU would handle Florida fairly easily. But I also think the conference champion argument is a very compelling one, but only when comparing teams with even records.

SandyD
12-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I heard that if Florida beats AR tonight they will pass Michigan for the Title game. That would be a travesty.

Urban Cryer.

However, scouts.com just updated their bowl projections and yep, they predict UM will sneak in and get the rematch.

This is why college football is so great. Totally unpredictable.

GO BLUE

An article in today's Times-Picayune quoted a BCS analyst who said that a win by FL in the SEC Champ game would propel FL over MI in the computer rankings. Thus is comes down to the human polls. It will be interesting to see what happens.

MWM
12-03-2006, 01:17 AM
I just saw a guy on ESPN that said that the computer polls will be so close that it will be a wash, which means it comes down to the coaches poll and hte harris poll. In both of those polls, Michigan had a sizable lead coming into the weekend. I don't see how Florida could jump over Michigan at this point. It's pretty mcuh a lock that it will be a rematch. Although, I'd love to see Florida. I'm quite certain OSU could handle them.

dsmith421
12-03-2006, 01:50 AM
I firmly believe the following two things:

1. Michigan is the second best team in college football.

2. Florida should play in the BCS Championship game.

savafan
12-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Agreed.

then why don't we do away with wild card playoff teams in the pros too?

Caveat Emperor
12-03-2006, 03:26 AM
then why don't we do away with wild card playoff teams in the pros too?

Because every division champion in the NFL makes the playoffs automatically.

When Florida gets screwed, that's the BCS telling everyone that conference play doesn't matter and conference championships don't matter.

It's also, incidentally, telling everyone that quality wins don't matter (FLA has 3 wins over current Top-25s to Michigan's 2) and strength of schedule doesn't matter (FLA's opponents have a better W-L record than Michigans).

GAC
12-03-2006, 05:42 AM
I really want to see a OSU-Michigan rematch.

They are simply the two best teams in college football, and that is who should be in the game.

But I also understand the argument that Florida fans present too.... They won the SEC, played some tough opponents in their schedule this year, and Michigan already played (and lost) to OSU.

It is going to be interesting to see how this thing pans out.

I don't see how the #4 Gators can vault over #3 Michigan, but anything is possible with that system.

Either way, somebody is not going to be very happy.

Playadlc
12-03-2006, 07:34 AM
I just saw a guy on ESPN that said that the computer polls will be so close that it will be a wash, which means it comes down to the coaches poll and hte harris poll. In both of those polls, Michigan had a sizable lead coming into the weekend. I don't see how Florida could jump over Michigan at this point. It's pretty mcuh a lock that it will be a rematch. Although, I'd love to see Florida. I'm quite certain OSU could handle them.

Exactly what does being conference champion have to do with being the #2 team in the country? If that's a part of the criteria, then to hell with all the computers and polls and annoint FL. But why trust the coaches' and sporstwriters' polls? The bottom line is they vote regionally, and there's no way a coach from any other conference would want UM-OSU. It's way too much favorable publicity for the Big 10.

Time to can the BCS and have a playoff. Urban Meyer wants it yet this year; that is, if he isn't in the championship game.

GAC
12-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Exactly what does being conference champion have to do with being the #2 team in the country? If that's a part of the criteria, then to hell with all the computers and polls and annoint FL.

That is a very good and valid point. But why trust the coaches' and sporstwriters' polls?

The bottom line is they vote regionally, and there's no way a coach from any other conference would want UM-OSU. It's way too much favorable publicity for the Big 10.

And that "fallible" human factor is going to be THE determining factor in this IMO.

I have always supported a playoff system with the top 4 teams. The arguments that I have always heard against it is that it extends the season too long and would interfere with end of the semester exams. I don't know how valid that is or not.

SandyD
12-03-2006, 10:06 AM
I have the distinct feeling that FL will get the chance and jump over Michigan for the second week in a row. This is crazy.

And, LSU has already sold tons of tickets for the Rose Bowl. I think that plays TOWARDS the rematch, actually.

I have no idea.

Here's what I heard earlier in the week.

The Rose Bowl asked LSU officials if they believed they could sell 22,000 tickets. LSU put up a system whereby tickets to three bowls could be requested: Rose, Orange, Capital One. LSU got over 40,000 requests for Rose Bowl tickets. They won't be billed until after the announcement of where LSU is going.

SandyD
12-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I have always supported a playoff system with the top 4 teams. The arguments that I have always heard against it is that it extends the season too long and would interfere with end of the semester exams. I don't know how valid that is or not.

GAC, a four team playoff would not interefere with exams or extend the season too long. Larger playoff schemes would.

A four team playoff makes a lot of sense to me, but I'm doubtful the big college conferences would allow that. There could be no auto-bids, in that case.

Chip R
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM

Division 1-AA just finished their second week of playoffs. I believe Division II and III are also in their second week of playoffs. So if these "little schools" can do it, so can the bigger ones.