PDA

View Full Version : What happened to SNL?

Yachtzee
12-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Have they had a single funny sketch this year? I actually started watching regularly again after they brought on the new crew, including the guys from Lonely Island. The SNL Digital Shorts were great last year..."Lazy Sunday," "Young Chuck Norris," Natalie Portman's gangsta rap. But now it seems like Seth Meyers, in his new role as head writer, has completely sucked the funny out of the show.

WMR
12-03-2006, 01:28 AM
I've thought SNL sucked since the Farley-era cast left.

I only watched the Dane Cook hosted episode... one of the worst SNL hosts I've ever seen and skit after skit was just lame, unfunny crap.

macro
12-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I've been thinking the same things. Seth Meyers is just awful in the news segment. That has always been my favorite part, but now it's certainly nothing to look forward to. I feel bad for Amy Poehler in having to struggle through these with Meyers. She and Tina Fey worked well together, but this Seth thing just is not working.

And I don't know the name of the new George Bush, but he's terrible. I really liked the previous one (wasn't it Will Forte?). Why did they switch? If it was Forte, he's still there. :confused:

SNL has been one of the few shows I have made a point of recording over the past two decades, but it is slumping right now. This isn't the first slump, of course, and it will be back.

Blimpie
12-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Last night's opening sketch was unwatchable. It lasted SIX MIUNTES long (yes, I checked) and it's "theme" was regarding the absolutely knee-slapping hilarity of car bombings in Iraq.

In the SNL heydays, the opening sketch was soley to launch the "Live for New York..." tagline and go straight to the host's monoloque. I don't know what the hell that was last night, but it sucked the life out of the show from the get-go.

Mad TV has been the better show for the last 5-6 years anyway.

Johnny Footstool
12-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Last night's opening sketch was funny, but way too long.

Tenacious D was great, but the rest of the show was a yawn. IMO, Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig are extremely talented and funny, but they haven't been given much to do this season. They're being wasted under Seth Meyers.

Blimpie
12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Last night's opening sketch was funny, but way too long.

Tenacious D was great, but the rest of the show was a yawn. IMO, Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig are extremely talented and funny, but they haven't been given much to do this season. They're being wasted under Seth Meyers.Remind me again--but what's funny about people losing limbs from car bombings? It is a parody-based show, so it's fine to blast Bush on a regular basis. But what they did last night was in poor taste and highly insensitive to families who are actually living this tragedy right now.

I have been watching SNL since the days when they parodied Gerald Ford. But in those days, it was about him being clumsy and falling off Air Force One. Last night's episode took the area of attack past the point of humor IMO....

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I have thought for quite some time it is odd that NBC can make a better show about making a live weekend comedy show than an actual live weekend comedy show.

Johnny Footstool
12-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Remind me again--but what's funny about people losing limbs from car bombings? It is a parody-based show, so it's fine to blast Bush on a regular basis. But what they did last night was in poor taste and highly insensitive to families who are actually living this tragedy right now.

I have been watching SNL since the days when they parodied Gerald Ford. But in those days, it was about him being clumsy and falling off Air Force One. Last night's episode took the area of attack past the point of humor IMO....

Satire.

They didn't make fun of the hundreds of people injured in car bombings. They were pointing out how ludicrous it was that the Iraqi police and military were still ridiculously undermanned even after nearly 5 years of American occupation.

Satire is not for the overly sensitive. It has teeth.

It's refreshing for SNL to show those teeth every once in a while.

Dom Heffner
12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I've given my ramblings on here before, but I fourth the motion that Seth Myers is horrible. Simply not funny.

Doc. Scott
12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
You can't blame Seth Meyers for Dane Cook, though. Dane Cook couldn't be funny unless the routine was him getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly for forty-five straight minutes.

Matt700wlw
12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Did Jimmy Fallon leave?

I never found him funny......just dull.

Chip R
12-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Did Jimmy Fallon leave?

I never found him funny......just dull.

Yeah, about 3 years ago. I thought he was a talented musical mimic but that's about it.

Blimpie
12-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Satire.

They didn't make fun of the hundreds of people injured in car bombings. They were pointing out how ludicrous it was that the Iraqi police and military were still ridiculously undermanned even after nearly 5 years of American occupation.

Satire is not for the overly sensitive. It has teeth.

It's refreshing for SNL to show those teeth every once in a while.We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Footstool. I enjoy satire and I would never be described as over-sensitive by those who know me.

From the moment I saw that sketch, I was sure that it was done in poor taste. I have no reason to think otherwise 72 hours after the fact.

GoGoWhiteSox
12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Watching SNL now is just painful. I occasionally watch Mad TV, but I usually wait until the new SNL goes off so I can watch the older one right after it.

vaticanplum
12-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I haven't seen Saturday Night Live in ages, but a friend sent this to me today and I cried from laughter. Warning for language, I guess, though it's bleeped and, you know, part of a sketch comedy show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eM15-fMbCU

Yachtzee
12-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Awesome! That has "Lonely Island Guys" written all over it. Too bad I missed that episode because they've been so bad lately.

pedro
12-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen Saturday Night Live in ages, but a friend sent this to me today and I cried from laughter. Warning for language, I guess, though it's bleeped and, you know, part of a sketch comedy show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eM15-fMbCU

That is pretty funny.

as much as I hate to say it. JT was pretty good on SNL.

vaticanplum
12-18-2006, 07:30 PM
That has "Lonely Island Guys" written all over it.

That's what my friend said...what does that mean? I don't know who these people are. My friend also thinks that JT should host every week.

I've watched this about ten times and I'm still crying. The basketball hoop. The skyline. The step-by-step list. Oh. my. God. HOW do those women not laugh?

MrCinatit
12-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I only have two questions:
1) Why is Robert Downey Jr. singing?
2) What was in the box? Candy? I know it started with a "c".

RBA
12-18-2006, 08:21 PM
That is pretty funny.

He did do I good job. I had to do double takes. Bescause he was that good. I smell sitcom. :angry:

vaticanplum
12-18-2006, 08:23 PM
What do you all have against JT? He brought sexy back. yo.

Blimpie
12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
That is pretty funny.

as much as I hate to say it. JT was pretty good on SNL.I watched the entire episode last Saturday and I would have to agree. He appears to be a natural in sketch comedy.

The "d**k in a box" song was pretty funny, but the best sketch of the night was the one where he was competing against the Salvation Army Santa for donations to his client": Homelessville"

Joseph
12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I watched the entire episode last Saturday and I would have to agree. He appears to be a natural in sketch comedy.

The "d**k in a box" song was pretty funny, but the best sketch of the night was the one where he was competing against the Salvation Army Santa for donations to his client": Homelessville"

And that sketch can't be attributed as much to current writers as previous writers [Tina Fey?], because it was just a rehash of the sketch he did the first time he hosted a couple years ago.

I'm a regular viewer of the show, particularly over the last 10 years [though I've seen much of the older shows on Comedy Central, E!, and the dvd sets] and this year is down even from recent years standards.

vaticanplum
12-18-2006, 08:42 PM
I watched the entire episode last Saturday and I would have to agree. He appears to be a natural in sketch comedy.

Um, HELLO. He may be a natural, but he also has training as a member of the all-new MMC, which is as high-pressure as sketch comedy gets. How quickly we forget.

Now it's time
To say goodbye
To all our company
M-I-C
K-E-Y
M-O-U-S-E
Aw Mickey Mickey Mickey Mouse (rock da house!)

Through the years
We'll all be friends
As ...something...as we can be
M-I-C
K-E-Y
M-O-U-S-E
Aw Mickey Mickey Mickey Mouse

You guys know this rap, right? Or maybe you don't. Maybe you weren't lucky enough to spend a year in a traveling Disney show when you were 15 like some awesome people on this board. Maybe you were off making out with people or other nonsense adolescent things. Whatevs, kids.

Ltlabner
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM
What do you all have against JT? He brought sexy back. yo.

The bit he did with Jimmy Fallon on the sketch "Barry Gibb Talk Show" was over the top funny. I got some respect for the lad watching him giggle his way through that one.

Do you have anything to say Robbin....

Naahh.

bucksfan
12-18-2006, 09:06 PM
That is pretty funny.

My wife and I both thought so too. No JT fan here by any means, but he made me laugh last weekend. I thought I'd really miss Tina Fey (I do), but even the news bit wasn;t so bad. Amy Poehler is still entertaining to me and Seth Myers didn;t seem to completely spoil it for me like I thought he would.

Yachtzee
12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
That's what my friend said...what does that mean? I don't know who these people are. My friend also thinks that JT should host every week.

I've watched this about ten times and I'm still crying. The basketball hoop. The skyline. The step-by-step list. Oh. my. God. HOW do those women not laugh?

Last season they hired these three guys who have been putting up their own stuff on the internet at http://www.thelonelyisland.com/. They had previously shot a pilot for a show that was possibly going to be picked up by Fox called "Awesometown." Andy Samberg was hired on as part of the ensemble cast and the other two guys got hired as writers. They made a name for themselves last season with SNL Digital Shorts, including "Lazy Sunday," "Young Chuck Norris," and the Natalie Portman gangsta rap video. They are definitely funnier than the same-old, same-old that SNL usually puts out.

Blimpie
12-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Um, HELLO. He may be a natural, but he also has training as a member of the all-new MMC, which is as high-pressure as sketch comedy gets. How quickly we forget.

Now it's time
To say goodbye
To all our company
M-I-C
K-E-Y
M-O-U-S-E

Through the years
We'll all be friends
As ...something...as we can be
M-I-C
K-E-Y
M-O-U-S-E
Aw Mickey Mickey Mickey Mouse

You guys know this rap, right? Or maybe you don't. Maybe you weren't lucky enough to spend a year in a traveling Disney show when you were 15 like some awesome people on this board. Maybe you were off making out with people or other nonsense adolescent things. Whatevs, kids.I guess that I meant ADULT sketch comedy...:D

Blimpie
12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
And that sketch can't be attributed as much to current writers as previous writers [Tina Fey?], because it was just a rehash of the sketch he did the first time he hosted a couple years ago.

I'm a regular viewer of the show, particularly over the last 10 years [though I've seen much of the older shows on Comedy Central, E!, and the dvd sets] and this year is down even from recent years standards.Yeah, I knew that it was an homage to an early sketch from a few years ago (I think he was a breakfast burrito, no?). I guess that SNL has been so poor in recent weeks that I was happy just to see something that reminded me of funny past epsiodes...

Johnny Footstool
12-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh. my. God. HOW do those women not laugh?

My favorite parts are Maya Rudolph's and Kristin Wiig's reactions when the guys slap the rose and the feather in their faces.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 10:30 AM
You guys know this rap, right? Or maybe you don't. Maybe you weren't lucky enough to spend a year in a traveling Disney show when you were 15 like some awesome people on this board. Maybe you were off making out with people or other nonsense adolescent things. Whatevs, kids.

Or maybe you remember the B/W version too.

savafan
12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
I thought JT did a great job as Jessica Simpson on SNL too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKLrEVO4b0

savafan
12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
FWIW, NBC posted an uncensored version of "Special Christmas Box"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA

Johnny Footstool
12-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Funny, but not on par with the masters: Three Times One Minus One.

Be warned: hilariously bad language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxIynDHzmv8

Jpup
12-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Funny, but not on par with the masters: Three Times One Minus One.

Be warned: hilariously bad language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxIynDHzmv8

that was just, not funny.

Timberlake did a fine job Saturday night. The first good show that I've seen from SNL in quite some time.

Johnny Footstool
12-20-2006, 09:30 AM
that was just, not funny.

"Erotic tangerines" not funny? Bah.

Chip R
12-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I finally got to watch this and I am in tears every time. I showed it to my sisters and their husbands and they all thought it was hilarious. I love the "steps".

redsfan1966
12-26-2006, 12:25 PM
I too, felt Justin Timberlake did a great job on SNL--in fact, why should we have to qualify when we give praise to "JT". Lets just admit it, he is a very talented performer. I think SNL has been doing ok this season so far. Sure, its not an excellent season--but it has been funny for the most part. I think this season's "Weekend Updates" haven't been bad at all. The character created this year--Amy's aunt doing movie reviews--has been a good addition. Just think of it this way---SNL may not be great--but its still a lot better than most of the dreck out there...and yes, I am pointing at Mad TV this year.

savafan
12-26-2006, 07:13 PM
The T-Shirt (http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/dickinabox/) is now available.

Chip R
12-26-2006, 08:30 PM
The T-Shirt (http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/dickinabox/) is now available.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

vaticanplum
02-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Another classic on youtube forwarded to me by my friend today. It just never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00sswKKyTI

I reiterate: the deadpan is extraordinary.

pedro
02-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Another classic on youtube forwarded to me by my friend today. It just never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00sswKKyTI

I reiterate: the deadpan is extraordinary.

Alec Baldwin is one of the best SNL hosts ever.

TeamBoone
02-27-2007, 12:04 AM
I thought it ceased to be funny about 3-5 yrs ago.

The Baumer
02-27-2007, 02:31 AM
This evening I was lucky enough to attend a Q&A lecture with both Will Forte and Laurain Newman (of the original 1975 cast) and she seems to believe that this season's cast is their best ever. Forte as well stated that this is the first cast since he has been on the show (5 years) that really gelled together as a full group. He mentioned the 'laughing during skits' and overproduction of the show as things that have frustrated him as a writer/performer in the past, but yeah, he says the current cast still has some way to go but he feels they are onto something.

savafan
02-27-2007, 12:46 PM

I can't help but agree with that statement.

Yachtzee
02-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Pete Schwetty is a classic. I also loved the "Inside The Actor's Studio" with Will Farrell as James Lipton and Alec Baldwin as Charles Nelson Reilly.