PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Brian Kelly of CMU to be new UC coach

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:19 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/

It's Kelly

A CMU source confirms UC has offered the job to Central Michigan coach Brian Kelly

Also, it is official regarding UC in the International Bowl in Toronto, I think I might go.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 07:23 PM
This has been confirmed. BCI reporting a presser is scheduled for 4:00 tomorrow to announce Kelly as the new UC head coach.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the update paint. :thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
12-03-2006, 07:27 PM
This has been confirmed. Presser scheduled for 4:00 tomorrow to announce Kelly as the new UC head coach.

I'm not so sure I'd be excited by this hire if I was UC -- from what I've heard, this guy is pretty ambitious and probably views Cincinnati as another stepping-stone job to something better, much like Dantonio. The program needs some stability, and I don't know if this guy will give it to them.

I don't know, I guess we'll see.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm not so sure I'd be excited by this hire if I was UC -- from what I've heard, this guy is pretty ambitious and probably views Cincinnati as another stepping-stone job to something better, much like Dantonio. The program needs some stability, and I don't know if this guy will give it to them.

Build UC up with a solid head coach and 3-4 more solid years, and eventually we are talking a stadium expansion away from being a top BCS school.

I liken this to what Louisville did in building their program, eventually they got to the point that stepping to another school is just a lateral move.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 07:31 PM

I'm not sure either. He is definitely ambitious. But I think he can win right away at UC. The foundation of this year's team is in their sophomore season.

Also, he turned down the Michigan State job before Dantonio accepted it.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Build UC up with a solid head coach and 3-4 more solid years, and eventually we are talking a stadium expansion away from being a top BCS school.

I liken this to what Louisville did in building their program, eventually they got to the point that stepping to another school is just a lateral move.

From what I've read, those plans are already drawn up to expand Nippert by 10-15K and enhance it with luxury suites. I'm not sure how they can do it considering other buildings are in close proximity to the stadium. And they need the attendance to justify it before anything happens.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Paint, is it just rumored that he turned down the offer or has it been confirmed as well? One has to wonder why he would pick UC over MSU.

Mike Thomas the AD of UC has said the longevity of the coaching position would definitely be stressed with this new hire; he may be ambitious but he would have had to satisfy this concern of MT's and all of UC in order for him to get the job offer.

Reds4Life
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm sure the buyout of his contract will be pretty high, they aren't going to get screwed again like they did with Dantonio.

And yes, Kelly did turn down MSU. He turned down Iowa State also.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Paint, is it just rumored that he turned down the offer or has it been confirmed as well? One has to wonder why he would pick UC over MSU.

Mike Thomas the AD of UC has said the longevity of the coaching position would definitely be stressed with this new hire; he may be ambitious but he would have had to satisfy this concern of MT's and all of UC in order for him to get the job offer.

I don't know if it has been confirmed. But both the UC and the CMU boards have mentioned it. The CMU fans thought they had dodged the big bullet. Many sad folks up there unfortunately - especially after their big win against OU.

I do know that at one point, Kelly was the front runner to the MSU job.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:39 PM
What is Kelly's background, is it as an offensive or defensive coach? Is there any chance Narduzzi kept around for continuity and to run the defense?

Reds4Life
12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Narduzzi is going to MSU.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 07:42 PM
What is Kelly's background, is it as an offensive or defensive coach? Is there any chance Narduzzi kept around for continuity and to run the defense?

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46374&SPID=4199&DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=410523&Q_SEASON=2006

He won two national championships at the D-II level.

OnBaseMachine
12-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Kelly has an offensive background I believe. He runs the spread offense.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Kelly has an offensive background I believe. He runs the spread offense.

According to Paint's link, he has more xperience as a defensive coach...

A native of Chelsea, Massachusetts, Kelly attended St. John’s Prep School in Danvers, Massachusetts. He was a four-year letterwinner at Assumption College (Massachusetts) as a linebacker. After graduating from Assumption in 1983 with a bachelor’s degree in political science, he served as linebackers coach, defensive coordinator, and softball coach from 1983-86 at Assumption.
Kelly joined the Grand Valley staff in 1987 as a graduate assistant and defensive backs coach. He became the defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator in 1989 and took over as head coach in 1991. His first team finished 9-3 and qualified for the NCAA Playoffs.

EDIT: Also interesting of note for local (Bengals) ties from his bio:

Three players from the Chippewas’ 2004 squad are currently on NFL rosters. Eric Ghiacuic and Adam Kieft were drafted in the fourth and fifth rounds, respectively, in 2005, while Tory Humphrey spent last season with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent. Humphrey was recently allocated to the Amsterdam Admirals for the 2006 NFL Europe season.

Cedric
12-03-2006, 07:51 PM
He's an offensive minded coach. They run a spread offense and they had a good season this year.

Caveat Emperor
12-03-2006, 08:11 PM
He's an offensive minded coach. They run a spread offense and they had a good season this year.

I wouldn't chalk up the spread-attack coming to UC as a given. Everyone in the MAC (save for Solich and Ohio) runs the spread attack because nobody can recruit the massive and athletic big men up front to drive a power running game.

Smaller lines and smaller, quick wideouts tend to necessitate running an offense based on getting the ball to people in space and counting on them to make athletic plays.

Kelly's schemes might change with access to better players.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
It would be great if we could have a fraction of the interest, loyalty, and discussion that OSU garners for its football program. This thread has me smiling because it is nice to get excited for UC football. I hope it continues and snowballs.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
It would be great if we could have a fraction of the interest, loyalty, and discussion that OSU garners for its football program. This thread has me smiling because it is nice to get excited for UC football. I hope it continues and snowballs.

Who knows how long he will be in Cincy? From the comments I read from the CMU fans, he's the real deal.

He's got Tressel's track-record of success, except with a personality.

DoogMinAmo
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Paint, where are you reading your CMU fans comments? I have also read on Trent's blog that MSU fans are a little miffed we got Kelly as well.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Paint, where are you reading your CMU fans comments? I have also read on Trent's blog that MSU fans are a little miffed we got Kelly as well.

From Bearcat Insider and CMU's equivalent. They are both scout.com boards.

The people posting on Trent's blog are idiots. It's a completely different story everywhere else. :)

Redlegs23
12-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I like this hire. I didn't know much about him before tonight, but after looking at his track record I like him. Especially how he turned CMU from a loser to MAC champs in just a few years.

If he does view this as a stepping stone job I'd rather have him here for 3 years and go to a big bowl game then leave than get a guy who will be mediocre for 10 years but stay at UC like Rick Minter. That would at least establish more excitement for UC football.

paintmered
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
BCI is saying they signed him "long term with a heavy buyout". :thumbup:

Redlegs23
12-03-2006, 08:58 PM
BCI is saying they signed him "long term with a heavy buyout". :thumbup:

I like hearing that. :thumbup:

HotCorner
12-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Sweet! :thumbup:

DoogMinAmo
12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Just heard Kelly's press conference at enquirer.com, it is hard to not like the guy already.

Redlegs23
12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Kelly's coaching the bowl game. Pretty much what I expected, but it'll be interesting to see how he handles this team differently than Dantonio did. Wonder if he'll be inclined to start Grutza over Davila so that Grutza doesn't hold any kind of grudge going into next year.

Chip R
12-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Kelly's coaching the bowl game. Pretty much what I expected, but it'll be interesting to see how he handles this team differently than Dantonio did. Wonder if he'll be inclined to start Grutza over Davila so that Grutza doesn't hold any kind of grudge going into next year.

He'd almost have to coach the bowl game. Although I wonder what kind of schemes he's going to use on both sides of the ball. Is he going to try to teach them his offense and defense in a month? Or will he let the players run the show since they are more familiar with Dantonio's offense/defense?

DoogMinAmo
12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
With recent news and the Bearcats in the BCS it is interesting to read this thread again... BUMP.