PDA

View Full Version : Silly HOF comment

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Here is a true GEM. Posted on ESPN attributed to the AP:

Ripken retired as one of only seven players with 400 homers and 3,000 hits and was elected to play in 19 All-Star Games. He also revolutionized the shortstop position, setting the stage for superstars like Alex Rodriguez by adding power to a job typically manned by the quick and the slick.

But Ripken's singular Hall of Fame credential is his consecutive games streak and the record-breaking run in 1995 that is credited with bringing baseball back from a strike that forced the cancellation of the '94 World Series.

Ok let me get this straight....The streak is the only HOF credential Ripken has? WOW! 3,000 Hits, 400+ HR's, 2 MVP's, 1 ROY, 19 ALL Star appearances and changing the dynamic of what a SS blueprint looks like. Oh yeah... he has a ring.

If that's the case then what is Paul Molitor, Ryne Sandberg, Robin Yount and Mike Schmidt doing in the Hall? Geez. I hope they just mis-phrased their article.

redsmetz
12-05-2006, 02:20 PM
You've misunderstood the word. They didn't say "single", such as "sole", but rather "singular"

Dictionary.com defines that as

sin·gu·lar /ˈsɪŋgyələr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sing-gyuh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. extraordinary; remarkable; exceptional: a singular success.

An apt word.

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 02:22 PM
You've misunderstood the word. They didn't say "single", such as "sole", but rather "singular"

Dictionary.com defines that as

An apt word.

Darn...and I went to a GCL school too! :laugh: Good thing I have another GCL alumn to straighten me out...:thumbup:

redsmetz
12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Darn...and I went to a GCL school too! :laugh: Good thing I have another GCL alumn to straighten me out...:thumbup:

You're too young to have had the masterful John Massarella for English at Moeller. He was my faculty adviser when I was editor of the literary magazine The Squire and was quite the editor. He made quite a number of my written endeavors shine with his red pen!

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 02:37 PM
You're too young to have had the masterful John Massarella for English at Moeller. He was my faculty adviser when I was editor of the literary magazine The Squire and was quite the editor. He made quite a number of my written endeavors shine with his red pen!

He was legendary. Mr. Crone and Mr. Beerman used to talk about him in class. I did have Mrs. Hoover and she would certainly give me a stern lecture over this. (Ohhh wait I forgot I never went to school there or played Baseball there.... What was I thinking???) :laugh: :laugh:

Ltlabner
12-05-2006, 02:40 PM
He was legendary. Mr. Crone and Mr. Beerman used to talk about him in class. I did have Mrs. Hoover and she would certainly give me a stern lecture over this. (Ohhh wait I forgot I never went to school there or played Baseball there.... What was I thinking???) :laugh: :laugh:

Are you sure you aren't a figment of our imagination TC? ;)

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Are you sure you aren't a figment of our imagination TC? ;)

I'm the Ghost of Redszone past!

A guy asked me the other day why I wasn't on Moeller's Pro baseball Player page. Pretty simple. I wasn't drafted. The page states "These players were drafted". I signed as a FA 7/21/92. Craig Griffey played professional baseball. I don't see his name on that list. Chris Hildebrandt and Chris Wesley played pro ball. They are not on the list. Sucks for us but hey we weren't drafted. Rules are rules.

I bring this up because I get pounded over this all the time.

Chip R
12-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm confused. Is this about the Silly HOF or was the comment silly? ;)

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm confused. Is this about the Silly HOF or was the comment silly? ;)

That's pretty darn funny....:laugh: I guess it depends on how many times you read the article. Since my Grammar skills took a nosedive I'll have to say the Silly HOF.

redsmetz
12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
That's pretty darn funny....:laugh: I guess it depends on how many times you read the article. Since my Grammar skills took a nosedive I'll have to say the Silly HOF.

No, no, TC. That's Reading Comprehension skills, not grammar. :)

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 04:02 PM
No, no, TC. That's Reading Comprehension skills, not grammar. :)

Must be this darn medicine.... :laugh:

See, it's good to have someone look after you.

Caseyfan21
12-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Ripken retired as one of only seven players with 400 homers and 3,000 hits and was selected to play in 19 All-Star Games. He also revolutionized the shortstop position, setting the stage for superstars such as Alex Rodriguez by adding power to a job typically manned by the quick and the slick.

But Ripken's most celebrated Hall of Fame credential is his consecutive games streak.

Did somebody contact ESPN or the AP about this because it definately got changed. I was reading through stories on ESPN.com and started reading the Ripken article not realizing it was the same that TC posted earlier. When I got to those 2 paragraphs I recognized it from this thread and realized the wording has been changed.

They must have a pulse on Redszone to see what the big stories in Reds country are.

Maybe that's where ESPN got its juicy Loretta rumor...

Team Clark
12-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Did somebody contact ESPN or the AP about this because it definately got changed. I was reading through stories on ESPN.com and started reading the Ripken article not realizing it was the same that TC posted earlier. When I got to those 2 paragraphs I recognized it from this thread and realized the wording has been changed.

They must have a pulse on Redszone to see what the big stories in Reds country are.

Maybe that's where ESPN got its juicy Loretta rumor...

Redszone is all powerful my friend!:laugh:

MartyFan
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Redszone is all powerful my friend!:laugh:

Some think it is...that's for sure.

Oh gods of the zone...please be merciful too me!:laugh: