PDA

View Full Version : Alabama and Rich Rodriguez?

RANDY IN INDY
12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Heard a rumor that it is looking likely that Rich Rodriguez will be leaving WVU and heading to Alabama. What I hear is 3 years and 21 million dollars.

paintmered
12-06-2006, 06:46 PM
What I hear is 3 years and 21 million dollars.

Wow. That would make him the highest paid coach by a very healthy margin.

As much as I'd hate him to leave my beloved, disrespected conference, I can't blame him if he accepts that kind of dough.

Alabama is desperate to return to their former glory days. They are certainly throwing money at the problem.

cincy09
12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
no way is he getting 7 mil a year. Thats more than double any coach in college football

smallbattle
12-06-2006, 08:50 PM
3 years and 21 million dollars.

I like the choice but not the money. I hope that is wrong. My Tide needs a great coach to get them out of this funk.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Virginia Beach Reds
12-06-2006, 08:55 PM
That figure has to be wrong. Pretty soon, the college coaches will be getting paid more than his players.

RANDY IN INDY
12-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Sorry. 7 years----21 million is the rumor. Didn't realize that I had typed three years until this AM.

RedsBaron
12-07-2006, 07:24 AM
That's still a lot of money, but Alabama has recently been the place where football coaching careers go to die. If I was Rodiguez, I would consider my decision very, very carefully.

RANDY IN INDY
12-07-2006, 07:35 AM
I think that Rodriguez has an offense that no one has been able to figure out. You know how I feel about WVU, RedsBaron, but I really think that Rodriguez is a very good and really innovative coach. I think he is the man that can turn the "Tide" at Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if he takes the job.

RFS62
12-07-2006, 07:57 AM
I think that Rodriguez has an offense that no one has been able to figure out. You know how I feel about WVU, RedsBaron, but I really think that Rodriguez is a very good and really innovative coach. I think he is the man that can turn the "Tide" at Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if he takes the job.

Boy, I'll bet you two Marshall fans would LOVE to see him go to 'Bama, wouldn't you?!?!

How on earth could you two still hate WVU after all the goodwill the basketball teams of the past couple of years and the football team this year have done for the states image?

I cheered pretty hard for Marshall during their run since they hit the national spotlight. Do you guys actually hate them so much that you root against them?

RedsBaron
12-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Boy, I'll bet you two Marshall fans would LOVE to see him go to 'Bama, wouldn't you?!?!

How on earth could you two still hate WVU after all the goodwill the basketball teams of the past couple of years and the football team this year have done for the states image?

I cheered pretty hard for Marshall during their run since they hit the national spotlight. Do you guys actually hate them so much that you root against them?

Hey, I didn't say anything about hating WVU in my post. I don't know that any athletic team does all that much "goodwill" for a state, but I agree with Randy that Rodriguez is a really good and innovative coach. I posted that if I was him I would still consider any decision to take the Alabama job very, very carefully. In my opinion Alabama fans keep measuring any football coach to Bear Bryant and finding the successor to the Bear to fall short. It would be a challenge for Rodriguez, a challenge he might very well meet, but to meet it he will need to regularly defeat Auburn and win a national title within a few seasons. If he takes the Alabama job and goes 9-3 every year and doesn't beat Auburn, in a few years he will be unemployed.

RANDY IN INDY
12-07-2006, 08:21 AM
RFS62,

Nahhh, I really don't care if he stays or goes. Either way, he is a really good coach.

I guess my disdain for WVU comes not so much from the University itself, but from the fans that I grew up around who trashed (and still trash) Marshall at every opportunity. I recently went to see Marshall play East Carolina, where the folks at ECU honored the members of the 1970 Marshall plane tragedy, with a ceremony and a plaque on the outside of their stadium at the visitors entrance. (Very classy move on ECU's part and what a classy bunch of fans) Matt and I sat in the midst of ECU fans and everyone around us kept mentioning one thing. "You guys from Marshall are a lot different than those **##@@** from WVU." They mentioned how badly they were treated on their trip to Morgantown in 2005 and how ugly the WVU fans were on their trip in to ECU this year. (Some of the instances they gave were pretty awful, not that I haven't experienced the same over the years)

Now I realize that all WVU fans are not the awful people that give the University a bad name, but the way that they have always looked down their noses at Marshall has jaded my view of the Mountaineers, so yes, I do root against them at every opportunity. (I did root for them up until I experienced the bad behavior first hand in the early '80's) My wife says that my favorite team is whoever is playing West Virginia on any given Saturday.

I'll leave it with this. I recently was back home and with some folks who were talking about the "We Are Marshall" movie which will debut very soon. One fellow looked at me and said:

"You know, they would have never been on that plane if they wouldn't have gotten thrown out of the MAC for cheating."

He was being totally serious. I just shook my head and didn't say a thing.

dabvu2498
12-07-2006, 08:25 AM
The "experts" have said that Bama has had good recruiting the last couple years also, FWIW. It'll be interesting to see if those kids stay, and if they do, how they develop.

max venable
12-07-2006, 08:29 AM
How come 'Bama can't seem to find a coach? The next one will make #8 since Bear Bryant. Not sure I'd be in a hurry to get there if I was Rodriguez.

WVRed
12-07-2006, 08:30 AM

I live in Parkersburg, which is pretty much WVU country. People here turn down their noses at Marshall every time it is brought up.

I disagree with the interference by Manchin in setting up the agreement for the two schools to play. Marshall is on its way down and WVU is at elite status, and I think the governor even said in the news that he was regretting the decision for the two schools to play.

The two schools should play, but only if they want to.

As far as him going to Bama, I dont care either way, but the way he has handled this has been nothing short of spectacular. He might as well just leave.

RedsBaron
12-07-2006, 08:42 AM
RFS62,

Nahhh, I really don't care if he stays or goes. Either way, he is a really good coach.

I guess my disdain for WVU comes not so much from the University itself, but from the fans that I grew up around who trashed (and still trash) Marshall at every opportunity. I recently went to see Marshall play East Carolina, where the folks at ECU honored the members of the 1970 Marshall plane tragedy, with a ceremony and a plaque on the outside of their stadium at the visitors entrance. (Very classy move on ECU's part and what a classy bunch of fans) Matt and I sat in the midst of ECU fans and everyone around us kept mentioning one thing. "You guys from Marshall are a lot different than those **##@@** from WVU." They mentioned how badly they were treated on their trip to Morgantown in 2005 and how ugly the WVU fans were on their trip in to ECU this year. (Some of the instances they gave were pretty awful, not that I haven't experienced the same over the years)

Now I realize that all WVU fans are not the awful people that give the University a bad name, but the way that they have always looked down their noses at Marshall has jaded my view of the Mountaineers, so yes, I do root against them at every opportunity. (I did root for them up until I experienced the bad behavior first hand in the early '80's) My wife says that my favorite team is whoever is playing West Virginia on any given Saturday.

I'll leave it with this. I recently was back home and with some folks who were talking about the "We Are Marshall" movie which will debut very soon. One fellow looked at me and said:

"You know, they would have never been on that plane if they wouldn't have gotten thrown out of the MAC for cheating."

He was being totally serious. I just shook my head and didn't say a thing.

I have been to football games at WVU (where yes I did root for the Mountaineers) but not to any of the games against Marshall. I've read and heard of a lot of stories about how nasty the WVU partisans were to Marshall fans at this year's game in Morgantown, but those stories came from Marshall fans, so I took them with a grain of salt. There are always a few morons in every crowd, so I cannot condemn all WVU fans because of the reported misbehavior of some.
Randy mentioned the "We Are Marshall" movie. I've read there is a scene in the movie that shows the then WVU coaching staff providing some assistance to Marshall following the crash.

TeamSelig
12-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Rich doesn't seem like he can finish off a full season. I'd rather him stay, but I don't think they will be hurt as much as you'd think.

WVRed
12-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Rich doesn't seem like he can finish off a full season. I'd rather him stay, but I don't think they will be hurt as much as you'd think.

With Pat White and Steve Slaton returning next year, who wouldnt want to coach WVU?

I said this year, much to the disdain of the Mountaineer faithful, that this team was a year away from being a national title threat. Obviously if Rodriguez leaves, that would have an effect, but a good coach can make a difference. It will be interesting to see who WVU pursues if indeed Rich Rodriguez is on the way out.

marcshoe
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
At the Rutgers game Saturday, the guy I sat next to (a season ticket holder who seemed to know things) mentioned two names that he's heard. The first was Skip Holtz. I tried hard, but couldn't understand the second. (sounded like "Kerry", but I don't think it was John ;) ) I'd been hearing the Wake coach, but that wasn't who he said.

(I'm going to pretend that he wasn't saying "Terry" as in Bowden, btw.)

I have no idea if he had sources or not, but he was extremely knowledgable about all other aspects of the game.

marcshoe
12-07-2006, 07:07 PM
btw, I'm a lifelong WVU fan and a Marshall student (grad--South Charleston campus).

smallbattle
12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
ESPN reports that he signed for two million per year.

marcshoe
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
six year, 2 mil, 'bama pays the buyout, iirc.

Spring practice should be fun down there next year, if Coah Rod's first spring with WVU is any indication. ;)

KGJR30
12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Just announced Rodriguez decides to stay at WVU.

RFS62
12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Just announced Rodriguez decides to stay at WVU.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

MWM
12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't want to coach Alabama. You go 10-2 one year, then get fired for a .500 record the next. Then add the whole Mike Pryce thing and and that one coach who left for Teaxas A&M (got to wonder why he'd do that). Seems like something's amiss in Tuscaloosa. Plus, who the hell would want to have to write out "Tuscaloosa" every time you have to write your address.

Honestly, I think he sees a real chance at the National Titel next year and probably won't have that chance for a while at WVU.

Also, it seems like whever one of the Alabam schools is really good over a period of time, the other one isn't. I just don't know if that state has enough blue chippers to supply two top tier teams, and right now Auburn owns the state.

marcshoe
12-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Good news all around. Tell 'bama Terry Bowden's still available. :D

RedsBaron
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
:jump: :jump: :jump:

Obviously Rodriguez read my posts about the need for him to be very careful in considering whether or not to take the Alabama job. You can go ahead and thank me now.;)

RANDY IN INDY
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Rodriguez has a great chance to do something special at WVU next season, and if he does, the chance will still exist to go elsewhere if he chooses. Wise decision on his part, in my opinion.

RFS62
12-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Obviously Rodriguez read my posts about the need for him to be very careful in considering whether or not to take the Alabama job. You can go ahead and thank me now.;)

Why, thank you.

:beerme:

KGJR30
12-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Rodriguez has a great chance to do something special at WVU next season, and if he does, the chance will still exist to go elsewhere if he chooses. Wise decision on his part, in my opinion.
New buyout for his contract is now 4 mil. I don't see anyone being willing to pay that, he will be at WVU for a long time.

RANDY IN INDY
12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
New buyout for his contract is now 4 mil. I don't see anyone being willing to pay that, he will be at WVU for a long time.

I heard it was a two year deal.

Chip R
12-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I heard it was a two year deal.

I think it's a two year extention which takes his deal to 2013 or something.

traderumor
12-09-2006, 10:48 PM
New buyout for his contract is now 4 mil. I don't see anyone being willing to pay that, he will be at WVU for a long time.So, Alabama was a one night stand.

WVPacman
12-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Watch out for WVU people!! They just a average team anymore.The EERS are here to stay and will make some noise every year.Their defense was terrible this year and they still finished with 10 wins in the season.Im looking forward to the furure for WVU b/c its going to be bright.

WVRed
12-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Watch out for WVU people!! They just a average team anymore.The EERS are here to stay and will make some noise every year.Their defense was terrible this year and they still finished with 10 wins in the season.Im looking forward to the furure for WVU b/c its going to be bright.

After White and Slaton are gone, its anybodys guess what will happen.

If the Mountaineers go 6-6 anytime over the duration of Rich Rodriguez's contract, there is no way now that they can let him go.

dabvu2498
12-13-2006, 08:45 AM
An amusing article for the Alabama side of this:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pfinebaum.ssf?/base/sports/1165918922236730.xml&coll=3

Chip R
12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?op=article&article_id=1764029

http://www.spreadshirt.com/users/174000/173304/products/173304_1946661_1_huge.jpg

marcshoe
12-13-2006, 02:21 PM
After White and Slaton are gone, its anybodys guess what will happen.

If the Mountaineers go 6-6 anytime over the duration of Rich Rodriguez's contract, there is no way now that they can let him go.

Unlike some other schools, which I will not name, WVU does not have the habit of firing a coach the first time he finishes 6-6 or below. Ask Nehlen.

But I think Rodriguez has laid some pretty good foundations.

marcshoe
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM

Well, the pass defense was terrible. The run defense was pretty good.

Seeing in person the way Rutgers read the coverage and continued to have success throwing underneath all night reinforced the awfulness of the pass defense for me, though. Improvements need to be made.

WVPacman
12-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Unlike some other schools, which I will not name, WVU does not have the habit of firing a coach the first time he finishes 6-6 or below. Ask Nehlen.

Exactly Tixe,Even if they do have a bad record RR will not go nowhere b/c of all the great stuff he has brung WVU.When White and Slaton are gone I honestly don't see WVU droping in stature.They are now starting to get really good recruits every year so I think they will be just fine but I will miss White and Slaton when they are gone.

WVRed
12-14-2006, 10:04 AM

WVU doesnt have the "prestige" of an Alabama or Florida as well. Most of the fans in the mountain state are also very realistic. They know that there are going to be years that WVU will be down and will be patient in giving Coach Rod time to get it straightened out. If it was Alabama, he would be fired within two to three years.

For the record, im not advocating that if Rich goes 6-6 over the course of his contract that he should be terminated. More than likely though, there will be the minority in this state who will want him gone.

marcshoe
12-14-2006, 10:32 PM
There are a minority who wanted them gone after South Florida. I sat near some of them at the Rutgers game. :cool:

'course there were the 'bama rumors floating around that day. When a helicopter flew in to the hospital around the second quarter, some fans shouted, "Hey coach, there's your ride!"