PDA

View Full Version : What is your handicap?

paintmered
12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
The celebrity sports thread discussion gave me an idea for a new thread to help the winter months go by a little faster. Okay golfers....

What is your golf handicap right now? What was it at its best?

Right now I have no idea what my handicap is. I probably only played 15 rounds this past year and haven't kept track of my handicap. I shot at or around par a few times, I also had some absolutely horrific rounds in there. If I had to throw out a number, I'd be around a 15. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm a mid-80's golfer right now. :(

My senior year in high school, I had it down to an 8. But I think I'm a more talented golfer now than I was then. My swing has improved since then, as has my putting stroke. But college has been harsh to my golf addiction and going to engineering school through mid-June kills the first two months of the season. So I have lost all forms of touch and refinement to my game.

Just four more weeks until the PGA tour tees it up in Hawaii. :)

dabvu2498
12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
I shut it down for '06 at 12.8.

I was actually playing my best golf when I was a Jr/Sr in college -- I "worked" part time at a driving range. I didn't have a handicap at the time, but I'd guess I was a 6-7, breaking 80 most of the time, breaking 75 occaisionally.

pedro
12-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm a moron....

OH! We're talking about GOLF.

RFS62
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I've only played about a dozen times in the past year, the least I've played in many years.

Just before Katrina hit last summer, I was playing or practicing about four or five times a week, and I had it down to a 3. Right now, I'd be lucky to break 80.

MWM
12-07-2006, 12:49 PM
15.7 and dropping. If I can ever figure out the mid-range irons, I might end up being a decent golfer.

IowaRed
12-07-2006, 01:43 PM
my swing

texasdave
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I shot a 67 once, but didn't feel much like playing another nine. :)

Falls City Beer
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Being a Reds' fan.

RANDY IN INDY
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't get to play much anymore, maybe 6 times this year, but I'm probably right around a 9 right now. It has been much better, but when you don't play, the handicap goes up.

Johnny Footstool
12-08-2006, 12:54 AM
I can usually get past the windmill in under three strokes. The castle drawbridge has been giving me problems lately, though. And I hate it when they turn on the dry ice fog machine on the outer space hole.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-08-2006, 12:57 PM
13-14

Team Clark
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM
With RFS62's help I've been able to break 100 consistently. 112, 124, 130. Thanks a lot Buddy!:laugh:

Although his advice of using a pool cue to putt has worked out wonderfully.

Highlifeman21
12-08-2006, 01:49 PM
In HS I was a .4 index. Right now, I think I'm at something like 1.5. My new course likes me to keep a handicap for whatever reason, which is kinda weird for a golf pro.

I'm usually anywhere between about 2 under and 6 over, great consistency....

So far, it's a pain trying to get used to Bermuda greens when you're used to Bent.

Heath
12-08-2006, 01:56 PM
My handi-cap are the fellow golfers who are forced to watch me play.

The rest of the golfers on the course are subject to drive-by shootings.

dabvu2498
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
So far, it's a pain trying to get used to Bermuda greens when you're used to Bent.

Bermuda greens in Philly??? Is that common?

guttle11
12-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I haven't had an official handicap in a few years, but I'd guess between 4-7. Although, I'm not real consistent. I can just as easily shoot an 86 as I can a 74, mostly due to the fact I don't play competitively anymore.

Hoosier Red
12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Woods, Irons, Putter

RFS62
12-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I hate bermuda greens. The faster the better, baby. We likes 'em fast in Pinehurst.

RANDY IN INDY
12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't like Bermuda either. Most of the greens around Charlotte are usually pretty fast, but can get slow this time of the year because they leave them a little high. I like 'em fast too, RFS62!

BuckeyeRedleg
12-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Woods, Irons, Putter

For me:

Driver- Cleveland Launcher (when it's wide open or a long par 4 or 5)

3W, 5W (V-steel-TM)
5I, 8I, 9I (ping irons)
52, 56, & 60 degree - vokey wedges
putter - odyssey 2-ball

150 and in I feel pretty good. Just get to the 150-yard marker & I'm okay, if I can just get there. I just cannot trust the long irons or the 6 & 7 (superstitious). I have actually put the 3, 4, 6, & 7 irons away. I won't get any better than 13 or so handicap until I get more than 15 rounds in a year, which is pretty unrealistic at this time with the three little ones.

Senior tour in 2030!

Highlifeman21
12-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Bermuda greens in Philly??? Is that common?

I'm in Naples now until May.

Thus the Bermuda.

Highlifeman21
12-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I hate bermuda greens. The faster the better, baby. We likes 'em fast in Pinehurst.

For our 2 Day M/G this past season, we ran our greens at 12.4. There's fast for ya!

bengalsown
12-09-2006, 07:38 AM
I never played a round in my life until this last summer, when I played probably 50 times. I am absolutely lousy. I need some lessons. Always scored over 100 on 18 :rolleyes:

Hopefully this spring I will be able to take some lessons

BuckWoody
12-09-2006, 09:51 AM
My entire game is my handicap...I am a complete hack, but I love to play. I only get out about once or twice a year but that should change soon. I recently realized that my softball career is coming to an end; age has eroded whatever ability I may have once possessed. Instead of playing that twice a week I think it's time to get some instruction and hit the links to see if I can get better.

RFS62
12-09-2006, 10:01 AM
I never played a round in my life until this last summer, when I played probably 50 times. I am absolutely lousy. I need some lessons. Always scored over 100 on 18 :rolleyes:

Hopefully this spring I will be able to take some lessons

Take a couple of lessons. Subscribe to Golf magazine or Golf Digest. Just scanning those you'll learn through osmosis a lot of the terminology and ettiquete. Pick up an instructural video.

Learn how to practice correctly. Don't just pound balls on the range.

But take a couple of lessons, definitely. Start with solid fundamentals and you'll enjoy it so much more.

RFS62
12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
For our 2 Day M/G this past season, we ran our greens at 12.4. There's fast for ya!

Bet those guests were cursing you.

:devil:

GAC
12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
The hole is too small.

And then when I found out there was 17 more of them thar things spaced around the course I yelled "ARE YOU NUTS!!!!" :evil:

Highlifeman21
12-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Bet those guests were cursing you.

:devil:

That was my 1st 2 Day M/G at that facility, but historically the greens have been fast for the event. There was cursing the first 2 years by members and guest, but then they realized that the course needed fast greens to counteract an easy layout.

The course I'm at in Naples, I'd be surprised if they rolled any faster than a 9. Just seems like you have to bang putts. Very frustrating.

The fastest greens I've ever played are without a doubt Camargo Country Club. Why they have HS matches there I'll never know, but I'm not complaining getting the chance to play that track b/c of it. Camargo's greens are like putting on linoleum (sp?). Slick slick slick.

MWM
12-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Take a couple of lessons. Subscribe to Golf magazine or Golf Digest. Just scanning those you'll learn through osmosis a lot of the terminology and ettiquete. Pick up an instructural video.

Learn how to practice correctly. Don't just pound balls on the range.

But take a couple of lessons, definitely. Start with solid fundamentals and you'll enjoy it so much more.

What's this? No hokey lines about "internal dialogue" and "finding your happy place"? I must have just been a special case. :evil:

RFS62
12-09-2006, 12:34 PM
What's this? No hokey lines about "internal dialogue" and "finding your happy place"? I must have just been a special case. :evil:

Yes, you are a special case. A very special case, indeed.

One must tailor one's instructions to suit the needs and sensibilities of the instructee.

When I told you that you have to hop on one foot and bark like a dog before you line up your putts, it was just my way of relaxing you and taking your mind off the unfathomable pressure you were putting on yourself playing in that pro-am.

Plus, you got the added benefit of unnerving your opponents as well.

:p:

max venable
12-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I play about once-a-week during (April-Oct). I just go with my buddies...never had an "official" handicap. I shoot in the mid 80's consistently. Anybody know about where that would put me?

Razor Shines
12-09-2006, 03:13 PM
When I lived on a 9 hole course for two years I played nearly every day and had played myself down to a 5 when we left. It's been a year since we moved and this year I finished at around 9-10. My driver has left me, but I still hit my irons very well. Any of the golf pros have any advice? I am pretty certain I am clearing my hips too soon and I don't know how to stop. I am convinced that if I break down and pay for some lessons I could be a decent golfer.

Yachtzee
12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I can shoot in the low 80s...

on a "pitch-and-putt."

On a regular course, I think for regular courses, my handicap is probably between 35 and 40. In high school I could break the 100-barrier for 18 holes, even breaking 90 once. Nowadays I don't play nearly enough to be any good. I love the game, even though I'm no good. Maybe after law school I'll take some lessons.

Highlifeman21
12-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I play about once-a-week during (April-Oct). I just go with my buddies...never had an "official" handicap. I shoot in the mid 80's consistently. Anybody know about where that would put me?

Depends on the course rating.

Mid 80s at my course would make you about an 11 index.

IIRC, your handicap index is 96% of the difference between what you score compared to the course rating.

Course rating here is 73.5, so if you shoot 85, that makes you an 11.0 index.

You'd then need an index conversion chart to figure out your course handicap.

Betterread
12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Highlifeman,
I am not familiar with Course ratings. Do courses have that information readily available? What method would you use to derive a handicap.
I have played golf for 2 years and my scores have displayed improvement over that time. Should I play another year or two before trying to derive a handicap? I'm curious to know what approach you recommend.

max venable
12-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Depends on the course rating.

Mid 80s at my course would make you about an 11 index.

IIRC, your handicap index is 96% of the difference between what you score compared to the course rating.

Course rating here is 73.5, so if you shoot 85, that makes you an 11.0 index.

You'd then need an index conversion chart to figure out your course handicap.

Thanks. Never knew how that worked. I found my regular course online...found a handicap calucuator. Says I'm 11.7 hanicap, then the course handicap index caluculator put me at 12.7. Does that even make sense? Anyway...thanks for the help. Guess I'm about a 12 or 13.

max venable
12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Highlifeman,
I am not familiar with Course ratings. Do courses have that information readily available? What method would you use to derive a handicap.
I have played golf for 2 years and my scores have displayed improvement over that time. Should I play another year or two before trying to derive a handicap? I'm curious to know what approach you recommend.

I got my handicap info here (http://www.ohiogolfguide.com/). You can find your course and then figure yourself out from there.

jmcclain19
12-09-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't have an official handicap - but breaking 100 is a great day for me. I used to be a big time triple bogey was excellent golfer, but I've been going to the range every week now for nearly a year on my lunchour, and I've seen those 120s drop down to the occasional 95-98. I'd like to break 90 with regularity by 2008. My goal is to be a single digit handcapper before I'm 30 - so I have 2 1/2 years to get there.

I bought a golf score tracking program and input my weekend scores into it every week - been amazing watching my weakspots and knowing what I needed to work on at the range every week.

Highlifeman21
12-09-2006, 07:02 PM
When I lived on a 9 hole course for two years I played nearly every day and had played myself down to a 5 when we left. It's been a year since we moved and this year I finished at around 9-10. My driver has left me, but I still hit my irons very well. Any of the golf pros have any advice? I am pretty certain I am clearing my hips too soon and I don't know how to stop. I am convinced that if I break down and pay for some lessons I could be a decent golfer.

Find an old shaft, or something that you can stake into the ground.

Assuming you're a RH golfer, put the shaft (or whatever you find to use) into the ground so that it is long enough to go all the way to your waist. Whatever you use as the stake has to be sturdy to offer resistance, b/c the whole point of the drill is you want to make sure your hips aren't driving the shaft towards the target. You want your hips to drive towards the target, but not push the shaft over, if that makes sense.

To enhance the drill, take your normal stance and find out where your right foot will be at address. Once you find this spot, place a golf ball on the outside of where your right foot will be, b/c you're going to use the golf ball as a wedge on the outside of your right foot to make sure you're not completely swaying your hips away and then towards the target. By putting the golf ball under 1/2 your right foot, you won't be able to sway your hips, in essence it will "quiet your lower body". Add this with the shaft drill, and you'll make sure you're pivoting around your core, rather than swaying your hips away from and then back at the target.

Without seeing/knowing your swing plane, and you telling me you think it's your hips clearing too soon, this should start to help.

Lemme know how this works for ya.

Highlifeman21
12-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks. Never knew how that worked. I found my regular course online...found a handicap calucuator. Says I'm 11.7 hanicap, then the course handicap index caluculator put me at 12.7. Does that even make sense? Anyway...thanks for the help. Guess I'm about a 12 or 13.

I gave you the quick and dirty method. I didn't take into account the slope rating for the course.

CH, or course handicap will always be a whole number. HI, or handicap index will have decimals.

Your CH will always be at least higher or equal to your HI. Your CH will never be less than your HI.

---------------

Betterread

Course rating and Slope rating are almost always found on scorecards. You can recognize them as a 2 digit number with a decimal, and then a 3 digit number. The course I worked at in Philly was a 74.0 and 140.

Course rating basically says what par really is for the course. The par is 72 at my course, but the rating says that 2 over is essentially par b/c of the difficulty. 140 is the Slope rating, and verifies the difficulty. Anytime you get over 125-130 for a Slope, you're playing at a tough track. Same goes for a Course rating over 74.5.

If you have 2 years worth of scores, or at least 20 rounds, here's the best way to figure out a quick HI. Take your 10 best rounds out of the 20. If you have more than 20, you still take the 10 best. Add up your total amount of strokes. Then add up all the course ratings for those 10 rounds. You will then subtract the course rating total from the stroke total. Divide this number by 10. Then multiply by .96. That will give you the best approx. for a HI.

A HI basically says your "potential", by taking your 10 best scores out of all of them.

If you need any help with this, let me know.

Betterread
12-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Highlifeman. It makes sense that you have a specific handicap for each course, and a general one for the player.

Willy
12-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I have been stuck at 10-12 for the last 5 yrs. If i'm putting good my drives are terrible, if I'm driving well my putting sucks.

Mostly my focus stinks.

If I would play with a more competative group it would help, but I play with my dad 3-4 days a week and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Razor Shines
12-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Find an old shaft, or something that you can stake into the ground.

Assuming you're a RH golfer, put the shaft (or whatever you find to use) into the ground so that it is long enough to go all the way to your waist. Whatever you use as the stake has to be sturdy to offer resistance, b/c the whole point of the drill is you want to make sure your hips aren't driving the shaft towards the target. You want your hips to drive towards the target, but not push the shaft over, if that makes sense.

To enhance the drill, take your normal stance and find out where your right foot will be at address. Once you find this spot, place a golf ball on the outside of where your right foot will be, b/c you're going to use the golf ball as a wedge on the outside of your right foot to make sure you're not completely swaying your hips away and then towards the target. By putting the golf ball under 1/2 your right foot, you won't be able to sway your hips, in essence it will "quiet your lower body". Add this with the shaft drill, and you'll make sure you're pivoting around your core, rather than swaying your hips away from and then back at the target.

Without seeing/knowing your swing plane, and you telling me you think it's your hips clearing too soon, this should start to help.

Lemme know how this works for ya.

It sounds good and I'm going to give it a try. But I don't really think I'm swaying. It's just that I used to swing with my arms first. So I worked really hard on going back first with my upper body and then down first with my lower body, and I worked on it until it became muscle memory. But now I think I focused on not swinging down with my arms first that I am going way too quick with my lower body. Maybe that does mean I'm swaying, I don't know but I'll definetly give your drill a try, thanks for the advice.

Highlifeman21
12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
It sounds good and I'm going to give it a try. But I don't really think I'm swaying. It's just that I used to swing with my arms first. So I worked really hard on going back first with my upper body and then down first with my lower body, and I worked on it until it became muscle memory. But now I think I focused on not swinging down with my arms first that I am going way too quick with my lower body. Maybe that does mean I'm swaying, I don't know but I'll definetly give your drill a try, thanks for the advice.

It may be a sync problem then. Make sure you start your swing with your shoulders rather than your hands or arms. The swing starts by turning the left shoulder under your chin, the arms and hands then follow suit.

Once you're at the top, the downswing starts with your arms, not your lower body. If your first move from the top of your swing is pushing your hips towards the target, or even opening your left shoulder (like a baseball swing), then your arms and hands will never be able to catch up to your lower body. If you try, then you'll end up just flipping your hands at the ball and you'll be left all day. No good.

Keep at it, you're wanting to improve, which is key.