PDA

View Full Version : Reds close to getting Eric Gagne?

Tom Servo
12-07-2006, 08:19 PM
This winter meetings wrap up article from the AP is posted all over the internet, and I noticed this little bit of Reds-centric news hidden in there. I haven't seen it reported anywhere else though, so who knows what's going on.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Baseball's winter meetings ended with a thud Thursday, wrapping up after just one major trade and only a handful of free-agent signings during the week.

Barry Bonds and the San Francisco Giants were still apart, Barry Zito wasn't close to signing and Manny Ramirez remained with the Boston Red Sox.

Kansas City made the biggest move on the final day, agreeing to a $55 million, five-year contract with right-hander Gil Meche.

Also, backup first baseman Daryle Ward reached a preliminary agreement with the Chicago Cubs on a $1.05 million, one-year deal and the Atlanta Braves completed their deal to acquire reliever Rafael Soriano from the Seattle Mariners for pitcher Horacio Ramirez.

Houston and the White Sox talked about a trade that would send Jon Garland to the Astros for outfielder Willy Taveras, pitcher Taylor Buchholz and a prospect. But the deal wasn't announced, perhaps because Chicago didn't like Buchholz's medical reports.

All in all, not much to cap baseball's biggest offseason gathering.

"It was probably more laying the groundwork than in the past," Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. "I think you'll see more things happen in the next few weeks. I think there's a lot of free agents falling in place. I think once those have fallen in place, I think guys will start working some other stuff."

At the podium in the Dolphin hotel, only one trade was announced: The White Sox sent starter Freddy Garcia to Philadelphia on Wednesday night for pitching prospects Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez.

In the suites upstairs, many swaps were discussed.

"I think you're going to see in the next two weeks, there's going to be a wave of moves," New York Mets general manager Omar Minaya said. "Usually, my experience is a domino effect. Once guys start getting off the board, all the back and forth goes out the window and people say, 'Hey, let's get a deal done.' The agents don't want to get shut out and the teams don't want to get shut out. So I expect here in the next two weeks there's going to be a lot of action. Free agents and signings. Everybody seems to be hesitant to do something."

Later Thursday, about two dozen free agents faced a midnight deadline to accept salary arbitration offers from their former teams. Milwaukee announced early in the day that infielder Tony Graffanino had accepted its offer.

Also, a pair of relievers seemed to be moving toward decisions: Eric Gagne and Octavio Dotel. Cincinnati liked Gagne and Boston was interested in Dotel.

As team officials headed home, several signings were in various stages of working their way toward final agreements: outfielder J.D. Drew and shortstop Julio Lugo (Boston), pitcher Jason Schmidt and outfielder Luis Gonzalez (Los Angeles Dodgers), pitcher Greg Maddux (San Diego) and pitcher Vicente Padilla (Texas).

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry remained behind, hospitalized following an angioplasty. Hendry had ignored several pleas from manager Lou Piniella and special assistant Gary Hughes to see a doctor earlier in the week.

Team physician Stephen Adams sent the 51-year-old GM to an Orlando-area hospital for tests and Piniella drove Hendry there.

But Hendry kept closing deals, finishing up a $40 million, four-year agreement with pitcher Ted Lilly on Wednesday night from the hospital.

"Piniella and myself, we were the first of many," Hughes said. "It took him a while to get to the hospital because he thought it was more important to worry about the Rule 5 draft, Lilly, whatever. His priorities were skewed."

In Thursday's draft of players off Triple-A rosters, troubled outfielder Josh Hamilton wound up with Cincinnati. After the Cubs plucked the 25-year-old Hamilton from Tampa Bay, they sent him to the Reds for cash.

Hamilton was the overall No. 1 pick in the 1999 amateur draft. He missed two seasons because of injuries and unspecified personal issues, two more when he was suspended in February 2004 for violating baseball's drug policy and much of 2006 because of an injured left knee.

edabbs44
12-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Seriously, friggin' kill me. This guy is OUT OF CONTROL. Another bullpen arm?

mound_patrol
12-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I dont see it happening. It just said the Reds liked Gagne. We like a lot of guys and aren't going to get'em.

I dont know what to think if we did get him. It's been a while since he's been healthy and effective. And he'd probably cost us a ton.

Chip R
12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
His price must have come down. Last I heard he was looking for $10M a year. He's damn sure not going to get that from the Reds.

pedro
12-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Krusty!

edabbs44
12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
His price must have come down. Last I heard he was looking for $10M a year. He's damn sure not going to get that from the Reds.

Last I heard he was at $5 million for a one year deal.

blumj
12-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Last I heard, he wanted at least $5M guaranteed, another $5M in incentives, no 2nd year or team option, and he's the closer, no maybe or competing for it. And no workout to demonstrate he can still pitch.

BigRed
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Obviously, any deal they would reach would depend upon a physical and close scrutiny of medical reports. No way they wouldn't do their homework after the Majewski thing. I think it could be a great signing if he is healthy. With Gagne healthy and closing games, this team would have the makings of a great bullpen.

Chip R
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Last I heard, he wanted at least $5M guaranteed, another $5M in incentives, no 2nd year or team option, and he's the closer, no maybe or competing for it. And no workout to demonstrate he can still pitch.

Does he want that on a silver platter too? Geez. The guy hasn't pitched for over a year, he doesn't want to audition, he wants to be the closer and he wants at least $5M. I guess there's someone out there stupid enough to give him that deal. I just hope it isn't the Reds.

BEETTLEBUG
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
I would do that then take a couple of ours put with Freel or somebody and get a ( starter) !!!!!!!!

RedLegSuperStar
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Offense/Defense or Starter.. we just offered arbitration to Schoenewies. Resigned Stormy.. signed Stanton. We have guys like Bray, Coffey, Cormier, Belisle, Majewski, Ramirez, Shackelford, and purhaps Claussen. Doesn't make sense.. at all. Sure he's a big name.. but he is a liability... and to big of a risk.

Patrick Bateman
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Gagne would make sense to me.

Obviously, the Reds aren't going to spend a bunch of money on a starter. So assuming we don't make a big trade for a good starter, I'm assuming the Reds will go with Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, and unfortunately Miltion as guaranteed rotation spots.

So, with the payroll space remaining, the Reds coud sign a guy like Tomo Ohka, but would he really be much of an upgrade over say Claussen, Ramirez, or Belisle? I'm not so sure he would be. IMO, he would only be a noticeable upgrade over Milton, but I'm resigned to the fact that he will get a rotation spot.

So if the Reds really wanted an affordable superstar, I think Gagne is one of the few solutions as there isn't much in the hitting department. If the Reds are willing to spend the money, I think he would be a great gamble since he only wants the one year.

blumj
12-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Does he want that on a silver platter too? Geez. The guy hasn't pitched for over a year, he doesn't want to audition, he wants to be the closer and he wants at least $5M. I guess there's someone out there stupid enough to give him that deal. I just hope it isn't the Reds.
See: Scott Boras thread. I would not bet against him getting all of it, maybe even more. He'll still have to pass a physical, I'd hope.

Falls City Beer
12-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm being serious when I ask this: can he pitch? Is he even physically capable of pitching in 2007?

Every word I've read is that the guy's done.

Patrick Bateman
12-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm being serious when I ask this: can he pitch? Is he even physically capable of pitching in 2007?

Every word I've read is that the guy's done.

That's the $1,000,000 question.

If he's healthy I would assume there would be more interest in him (and the Reds would have no chance of signing him). If he is, it would be a solid gamble.

Willy
12-07-2006, 09:28 PM

Relax

This article says the Reds like Gagne. Who cares, the Reds proble like Bonds, Zito, Drew and a few others. The guy is just filling space.

BigRed
12-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Look, I know we need starting pitching, but does anybody really feel comfortable giving the ball to Weathers and Stanton in the 9th of a 1 run ball game. I know I don't. I think that Gagne is worth the risk if he is healthy. Obviously, if he is not healthy, don't bother.

Casey_21
12-07-2006, 10:02 PM
I think adding Gagne would be great. It isn't really a gamble. 1 year contract. Plus, if he gets hurt, lord knows we got plenty of guys to take over the role. I say go for it.

NatiRedGals
12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I dont care Gagne would be a huge pick up ! I mean when he did pitch last year he was once again lights out we took a chance with Eddie and he owned why not go with another E Eric and lets get some closes!

Patrick Bateman
12-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I dont care Gagne would be a huge pick up ! I mean when he did pitch last year he was once again lights out we took a chance with Eddie and he owned why not go with another E Eric and lets get some closes!

Eddie showed the risk in this.

Good when healthy, but it's hard to be good when you're not healthy.

NatiRedGals
12-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Eddie showed the risk in this.

Good when healthy, but it's hard to be good when you're not healthy.

Ya your right but the truth is he kept us in the race aslong as he could and if we do keep him in the minors (Eddie) That means we have to people meaning Eric and Eddie one has to be healthy

KoryMac5
12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
It is a big gamble to pay someone that much money and not know what he can do. I would want a full medical report and to see this guy in action. Plus we don't know what his rumored juice abuse has done to his body. Risky.

Patrick Bateman
12-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Ya your right but the truth is he kept us in the race aslong as he could and if we do keep him in the minors (Eddie) That means we have to people meaning Eric and Eddie one has to be healthy

Guardado's chances of being healthy and contributing next season are quite poor. To be honest, I have no idea about Gagne. Reports indicate he still could be having some big problems. There's a sizeable chance that both are injured quite badly next season.

Chip R
12-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Gagne could be perfectly healthy and still not be the Gagne he was 3 years ago. Sounds like he's trying to pull the wool over teams' eyes. He wants $5M guaranteed. Another $5M if he can walk and chew gum at the same time. He wants to be the closer and he doesn't want to work out. What's he trying to hide?

jmac
12-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I stilll say I would rather see the reds go for a good #3.
Penny....Westbrook....or whoever.
so you could slide milton/loshe in to the 4 and 5 slot and it would be decent rotation.
depending on who the #3 is and it may be better than decent.

Patrick Bateman
12-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I stilll say I would rather see the reds go for a good #3.
Penny....Westbrook....or whoever.
so you could slide milton/loshe in to the 4 and 5 slot and it would be decent.
depending on the #3 is and it may be better than decent.

I would too, but I'm not sure we have what it takes unless we want to give up Bailey/Bruce/Phillips.

wheels
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
You'd think Krivsky learned his lesson with Majewski.

Therefore I doubt they are seriously considering Gagne.

Then again, we are talking about Insane Wayne here.

Gee willikers.

Ugh.

corkedbat
12-07-2006, 10:56 PM

So he's another reliever? That might bother me if it were the eve of Opening Day, but that's a long way off. At least we have a surplus of something. I'm more concerned with whether Gagne's healthy enough to merit the risk.

Dispite his churchmouse turn at this week's Winter meetings, I still expect Krivs to make at least a couple of deals before ST- for a bat and/or starter at least. If kicking in a Cormier or Makewski or Coffee to a deal with, say, Freel or Deno or a prospect or two lands us a better player, I'm all for it - sign all the relievers you can.

I don't care what postition a new free agent acquisition plays at this point in the offseason. If he improves depth anywhere and frees up a chip to fill another need more power to WK.

Case in point, if signing Mark Loretta, Chad Moeller and Eric Gagne opens up a opportuntiy to deal Brandon Phillips, David Ross and Todd Coffee for a decent young starter or OF prospect, I'm down with it!

osuceltic
12-07-2006, 11:06 PM
The same people who ***** about Krivsky signing "another" reliever are the ones who will ***** when you hit June, a couple of guys go down, Weathers has a tired arm and we have a one-run lead to protect.

Depth is good. And if Gagne is healthy, he not only provides depth, he gives them that back-end guy they desperately need. Makes everyone better and shortens the game for those 3-4-5 starters.

There is always room for a quality arm -- if it's healthy.

edabbs44
12-07-2006, 11:09 PM
If this keeps up, they could have Rivera, KRod and Nathan in the bullpen and it wouldn't matter. They have 2 good starters and the lineup is below average, at best. The bullpen will be doing most of their work trying to stop the opposition from lengthening their lead than holding a Cincy lead.

Always Red
12-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Gagne could be perfectly healthy and still not be the Gagne he was 3 years ago. Sounds like he's trying to pull the wool over teams' eyes. He wants $5M guaranteed. Another $5M if he can walk and chew gum at the same time. He wants to be the closer and he doesn't want to work out. What's he trying to hide?

That's right; I think Gagne is padding the retirement acccount right now, because it's coming soon.

There is a huge difference between the guy who threw 102 mph and the guy who threw 88 last year when I saw him pitch. Because he's not a pitcher, he's a thrower; that's why Guardado can deliver in the high 80's and still get guys out- he's a pitcher.

I don't mind having him if he's healthy, but if he doesn't want to demonstrate that he is, then it's be just dumb to spend good $ on him to rehab again.

roby
12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
If this keeps up, they could have Rivera, KRod and Nathan in the bullpen and it wouldn't matter. They have 2 good starters and the lineup is below average, at best. The bullpen will be doing most of their work trying to stop the opposition from lengthening their lead than holding a Cincy lead.

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain! :help:

edabbs44
12-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Spahn and Sain and pray for rain! :help:

More like Arroyo and Harang and the fat lady sang.

osuceltic
12-07-2006, 11:43 PM

Just remember, in 1990 the Reds had Rijo Browning and a great half-season from Jack Armstrong. The next highest win total among the starters was Rick Mahler with 8. But that bullpen shortened the games.

I'm not saying this bullpen is as good as the 1990 pen. I'm just saying that a good deep bullpen can go a long way toward making a shaky staff seem reasonable.

redsfan4445
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Since Dotel went to KC after turning down Boston, The rumors are now Boston will go after Gagne...

Topcat
12-08-2006, 04:38 AM

If that is truly his agents and his demands :eek: I look them straight in the face and say "god you have alot of balls" and tell them to walk and never look back. Sorry but how in god's name is that not the equivalent of saying ? "I am just stealing from you. I know I am, my agent knows I am, and if your so stupid as to accept these terms. You sir truly deserve it."
:thumbdown

Krusty
12-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Offer Gagne three million guaranteed with the rest loaded with incentives on a one year deal. He wants to go back on the market next season. He would be worth the risk for one year.

Degenerate39
12-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Offer Gagne three million guaranteed with the rest loaded with incentives on a one year deal. He wants to go back on the market next season. He would be worth the risk for one year.

I like that deal.

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 09:20 AM

He's already been offered more than that from LA, I believe, and turned it down.

Let me check.

Eric Gagne rejected an offer from the Dodgers that would have guaranteed him about $4 million with a chance to make about $6 million more in incentives.

If he rejected a guaranteed $4M from LA, I doubt you'll see him in Cincinnati for $3M guaranteed. The Reds would have to go to $5M guaranteed + incentives.

Falls City Beer
12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
If the Reds have 3 million to piss away on Larue, then they have 5 million to experiment with a killer arm. Do the deed. Sign him for 5 with incentives, and dispense with the excuses.

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 09:34 AM
If the Reds have 3 million to piss away on Larue, then they have 5 million to experiment with a killer arm. Do the deed. Sign him for 5 with incentives, and dispense with the excuses.

I don't think the Reds would have any problems giving Gagne a guaranteed $5M a year for a salary. I think they would have a problem giving him another $5M in performance incentives. I don't think they want to pay that for a closer. Maybe they could reach a middle ground and get him for $5M guaranteed and $3.5M in incentives (and deal him at the deadline so you don't have to pay the incentives....) I could see something like that happening, and frankly, I think it'd be smart to go that route. If healthy, Gagne could net us some serious prospects at the deadline, at least someone's best pitching prospect for 2008, which would be the same time table as Homer. That's all I really want is another absolute STUD SP on the same timetable as Homer.

IslandRed
12-08-2006, 09:51 AM

I'd be OK with that if anyone could give me reason to believe that Gagne's killer arm shouldn't be referred to in the past tense. From everything I've read, more people in baseball think he's toast than think he'll ever be great again. Gagne himself isn't willing to provide the evidence, and that's a huge red flag to me.

marcshoe
12-08-2006, 09:57 AM
The one piece of evidence I see that Gagne's arm may not be gone is that he's only looking for a one-year contract. Boras isn't an idiot; if he's doing this, there's a reason. Such as, he thinks Gagne will prove himself and be able to get a better deal after the 2007 season.

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 10:06 AM
The one piece of evidence I see that Gagne's arm may not be gone is that he's only looking for a one-year contract. Boras isn't an idiot; if he's doing this, there's a reason. Such as, he thinks Gagne will prove himself and be able to get a better deal after the 2007 season.

That's my feeling as well. Good post, tixe.

Always Red
12-08-2006, 10:06 AM

that's a good point, and it could be true.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the Reds spend this kind of money on a closer. A team really needs a bonafide closer when they are planning on winning.

If we go into the season with a closer by committee approach, I'll take that as a sign that the FO doesn't think they're close enough to contend.

Krusty
12-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Five million guaranteed with another 3 million in incentives. Key is it's a one year rental. If Gagne flops, the Reds are only bound to one year. It's better than being stuck for three years with Eric Milton's contract or Jason LaRue's two year deal.

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I find this whole situation interesting, considering what has already happened this offseason.

The Reds signed Stanton and told him that he would have a chance to close some games.

The Reds then signed Weathers and this is what what was reported and what he said after he was signed.
David Weathers, who will be back with Cincinnati on a two-year, $5 million contract, said he took less from the Reds because he wanted a chance to close.

"The last two years of my career I want to be someplace with a chance to (be a closer)," he said.

If they sign Gagne (who doesn't want any part of a setup job) to be their closer, I wonder how Stanton and Weathers are going to react, because, as of now, I think their hope is that they will share the closers responsibility.

Regarless, if the Reds did sign Gagne, they would have a pretty good bullpen. Having Bray, Weathers, and Stanton to setup for Gagne would be really fun to watch, IMO.

Krusty
12-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I find this whole situation interesting, considering what has already happened this offseason.

The Reds signed Stanton and told him that he would have a chance to close some games.

The Reds then signed Weathers and this is what what was reported and what he said after he was signed.
David Weathers, who will be back with Cincinnati on a two-year, $5 million contract, said he took less from the Reds because he wanted a chance to close.

"The last two years of my career I want to be someplace with a chance to (be a closer)," he said.

If they sign Gagne (who doesn't want any part of a setup job) to be their closer, I wonder how Stanton and Weathers are going to react, because, as of now, I think their hope is that they will share the closers responsibility.

Regarless, if the Reds did sign Gagne, they would have a pretty good bullpen. Having Bray, Weathers, and Stanton to setup for Gagne would be really fun to watch, IMO.

Both Stanton and Weathers spent most of their careers as setup men. Acquiring Gagne would make the Reds pen deeper......allowing Majewski, Bray and Coffey to assume middle relief.

Krusty
12-08-2006, 10:31 AM
On another note, the Red Sox are trying to acquire RHP closer Chad Cordero from Washington by dangling OF Willy Mo Pena, whom Jim Bowden still has man love for.

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 10:39 AM
On another note, the Red Sox are trying to acquire RHP closer Chad Cordero from Washington by dangling OF Willy Mo Pena, whom Jim Bowden still has man love for.

I saw some crazy reports as far as what Bowden is asking for Cordero. He's already turned down some offers that I don't know if I would have turned down. I can't see Bowden simply settling for Wily Mo in exchange for Cordero. Theo's going to have to up the ante on that one, IMO, if he wants Cordero.

Falls City Beer
12-08-2006, 10:47 AM
I'd be OK with that if anyone could give me reason to believe that Gagne's killer arm shouldn't be referred to in the past tense. From everything I've read, more people in baseball think he's toast than think he'll ever be great again. Gagne himself isn't willing to provide the evidence, and that's a huge red flag to me.

I'm presupposing a full physical being performed beforehand.

IslandRed
12-08-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm presupposing a full physical being performed beforehand.

Of course. It's the refusal to work out that has me leery. He's coming back from injuries and performance-enhancing speculation, one that has people openly wondering if he'll ever have his good heater again. If we're signing him on the presumption that he'd be closing for us, he'll need it back -- if not all the way back, at least most of the way back. If we're talking about a one-year deal, he'll need it back pretty much right away. So if he won't get out there and show people that he has it... buyer beware and all that.

dunner13
12-08-2006, 11:07 AM
If we sign gagne I think we should at least have a team option for a second year. That way if he is healthy he doesnt just use us to increase his value so he can go to a big market team. He might be the best closer ever when healthy so he is without a doubt worth the risk.

A-Dub
12-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
If we sign gagne I think we should at least have a team option for a second year. That way if he is healthy he doesnt just use us to increase his value so he can go to a big market team. He might be the best closer ever when healthy so he is without a doubt worth the risk.

He won't go for that unless the Reds had a mutual option for a 2nd year and it was worth something like $14M for that second year--something the Reds would be stupid to do.

If he's healthy, I think a 1 year deal is just what the doctor ordered here. Have him until July 31st and then trade him for a guy that could close in 2008, or a SP that will be a #2 guy (at least) as soon as 2009.

NatiRedGals
12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Well if Boston gets Chad then they dont need Eric:)

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 11:19 AM
According to Boston.com, we're no longer mentioned as candidates for Gagne.

According to Boston.com, Eric Gagne could pick from the Red Sox, Indians and Rangers before the end of the day.

The Globe's Gordon Edes believes the Indians and Rangers may have more guaranteed money on the table. Still, Gagne could choose the better bet to contend, which presumably is the Red Sox. If the Rangers land Gagne, they could then trade Akinori Otsuka for a starting pitcher

M2
12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
If the Rangers land Gagne, they could then trade Akinori Otsuka for a starting pitcher

Wonder if the Reds could put something together to get Otsuka? I don't want any part of Gagne, but Otsuka makes my heart go all pitter-pat.

NJReds
12-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Wonder if the Reds could put something together to get Otsuka? I don't want any part of Gagne, but Otsuka makes my heart go all pitter-pat.

Why would the Rangers do that? Makes no sense, except that Otsuka is going to be 35 in January, but he's healthier then Gagne.

RedsManRick
12-08-2006, 11:31 AM
bah... old news. - post deleted

M2
12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Why would the Rangers do that? Makes no sense, except that Otsuka is going to be 35 in January, but he's healthier then Gagne.

Sense and the Rangers don't often intersect. I've got no idea why you'd sign Gagne when you've got Otsuka, but apparently the Rangers are thinking of doing it.

NJReds
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Sense and the Rangers don't often intersect. I've got no idea why you'd sign Gagne when you've got Otsuka, but apparently the Rangers are thinking of doing it.

You know, when I was typing that I was thinking "oh yeah, it's the Rangers" although at some point you've gotta think that someone there is capable of making a good decision.

Red Leader
12-08-2006, 11:55 AM
You know, when I was typing that I was thinking "oh yeah, it's the Rangers" although at some point you've gotta think that someone there is capable of making a good decision.

Yeah, anytime you think that, think of Travis Hafner as the DH of the Rangers in last year's lineup.

Matthews, Young, Teixeira, Hafner, Blalock,...that offense could have scored a lot more runs.

NatiRedGals
12-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Eric Gagne To Sign Today?

Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe reports that Eric Gagne should decide whether to become a Red Sox, Indian, or Ranger today.

Edes says the odds favor the Indians and Rangers, who seem more willing to guarantee Gagne $5MM. Balking at such a request is understandable given how little Gagne pitched during the 2005-06 seasons. The Dodgers paid him $18MM for 15.1 Major League innings over that period.

reds44
12-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I would like signing Gangne, however we need to focus on other areas then the bullpen.

buckeyenut
12-08-2006, 07:06 PM

Milton (+4M), Freel, Cormier and any two prospects not named Bruce or Bailey for Teix and Otsuka? Think that gets anywhere close, especially given the Rangers are not known for being rocket scientists?

Matt700wlw
12-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Dotel just signed with the Royals

gm
12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Ya your right but the truth is he kept us in the race as long as he could and if we do keep him in the minors (Eddie) That means we have two people meaning Eric and Eddie one has to be healthy

I suppose it might make sense for the Reds to add a high-priced closer for the 1st half of the season. Then if Eddie were to be healthy in July, trade the high-priced closer at the deadline and let Eddie "close" out the season

Lot of ifs in that equation, naturally

mth123
12-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Traderumors is saying that he's going to sign with SF for $6 Million Guaranteed. If so, I wonder what happens to Benitez.

Falls City Beer
12-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Traderumors is saying that he's going to sign with SF for $6 Million Guaranteed. If so, I wonder what happens to Benitez.

If they're smart, they'll eat the contract and tell him to go away. He's done.