PDA

View Full Version : Keith Foulke?

icehole3
12-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Should this guy be considered as a free agent pickup? Anyone have any info on him?

BigRed
12-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Has been a past closer coming off injury. I don't think he would be an option here. I think he wants to go somewhere on the west coast to be closer to home.

savafan
12-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Foulke No! :D

icehole3
12-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Foulke No! :D

Good answer, I see you put tons of thought into that.

Team Clark
12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Could be serviceable. Minor league contract and an invite is as far as I would go.

Krusty
12-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Could be serviceable. Minor league contract and an invite is as far as I would go.

With the Giants close to signing Gagne, Foulke's options could be limited.

marcshoe
12-10-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't see much of a future for him. What TC says would seem likely in other years. The way things are going this off-season, though, maybe KC will offer him 6 years at 7 million each.

Team Clark
12-10-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't see much of a future for him. What TC says would seem likely in other years. The way things are going this off-season, though, maybe KC will offer him 6 years at 7 million each.

You got that right. I saw him pitch on TV a few times last year. After he got a few innings under his belt his changeup really came back. His velocity was still suspect.

Degenerate39
12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Don't we have enough relief guys?

LincolnparkRed
12-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Isn't he in the same boat as Milton (no cartilege in his knees)?

I would stay away

flyer85
12-10-2006, 07:35 PM
IIRC, he is a TypeA free agent and the Sox offered him arbitration.

Will M
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Should this guy be considered as a free agent pickup? Anyone have any info on him?

No. Unless as Team Clark suggested it was on a minor league deal.
We already have a bunch of ok but not great relievers.

blumj
12-10-2006, 09:11 PM
IIRC, he is a TypeA free agent and the Sox offered him arbitration.

No, he's a type B. I honestly don't have a clue what whoever signs Foulke will wind up with, but there were real signs of life last season, he was pretty dominant in April and in September, either awful or on the DL the whole time in between. I don't know if his knees are totally gone, but he sure didn't pitch like it in September. FWIW, I buy that he wants to be closer to his son out west, and I'd be surprised if he'd take a minor league deal anywhere rather than just retire, but that's just my impression. When he's healthy, he's a blast to watch pitch. And he does seem to own Jim Edmonds.

savafan
12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I could have swore I read somewhere that he wouldn't be healthy to start the season, but I can't find it...

blumj
12-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I could have swore I read somewhere that he wouldn't be healthy to start the season, but I can't find it...
I hadn't heard that. He seemed as healthy as he'd been in 2 years or more to finish out last season.

savafan
12-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I hadn't heard that. He seemed as healthy as he'd been in 2 years or more to finish out last season.

Maybe that was one of my binge drinking days...:confused:

alexad
12-11-2006, 07:58 AM
I am not sure if I would go after anymore relief pitchers. We need starters right now. Of course if Wayne is going to trade some current relief pitchers for a starter, why not take a risk on Foulke. Wayne has been pretty good at picking up others scrap. If he thinks Foulke still has something left, I think he will go after him. If Wayne stays away, there is a reason and we must go on.

The one thing we can all say about Wayne is he can judge talent, even if we do not like the Nationals trade. He has an itch for it and most of his signings appear to be paying off. Even though I do not like the trade last year, I have a lot of hope this year it will show Wayne knows what he is doing.