PDA

View Full Version : My 1000th post

corkedbat
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Its not every day you reach 1000 points on a board as illustrious as this one, so I thought I'd make it something out of the ordianary (for its length, if not its wisdom). :D

I've been troubled, like many here, by the lack of significant action so far this offseason. I'm troubled by this franchise and its prospects over the next couple of years. I don't like the makeup of this team, but I'm not sure what can be done about it or what is doable, given the seeming lack of trading chips/prospects and lousy FA crop. Having too much time on my hands I decided to put myself in WK's shoes and make a plan that keeps us at least as competitive as we currently are and maybe put us in better shape for the future.

Base makeup:

I would start off by having a core of five that would be as close to untouchable as possible (unless the other guy was giving away their crown jewels).

Edwin Encarnacion
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Jay Bruce
Homer Bailey

Phillips is very close to being the 6th member of this group, but if I had to deal him to land a target and sign Mark Loretta, so be it. I would probably keep my recent acquitions, but would not hesitate to deal one if I needed to sweeten the pot.

Jeremy Gil
Chad Moeller [EDIT -thanks Mario, I did] :)
Alex Gonazalez
Mike Stanton
Josh Hamilton
Jared Burton
David Weathers
Bubba Crosby

Free Agents

Any free agents I could still scrounge will help me free someone else for a deal. I would target 3 spots and go hard after them.

* A right-handed 1B/OF-type - to platoon with Hatteberg and strengthen the bench. Targets: Craig Wilson/Eduardo Perez (could Trot Nixon play some 1B?)

* Mark Loretta - for MI depth in case of an injury or a deal for Phillips (could Cirillo back 2nd as well as 3rd?)

* A fourth/fifth starter - Toma Ohka, Tony Armas, Jeff Suppan, (other) anyone to strengthen the backend of the rotation. I would like to avoid seeing as many starts as I can from Milton, Lohse, Ramierez, Claussen, Jason Johnson, ? Kim, Belisle, etc. as possible.

Deals

I make available almost everone.

Adam Dunn
Ken Griffey
Ryan Freel/Chris Denorfia
Scott Hatteberg
David Ross/Javy Valentin
Juan Castro
Brendon Harris
Rey Olmedo
Eric Milton
Kyle Lohse
Elizardo Ramierez
Brandon Claussen
Matt Belisle/Gary Majewski/Todd Coffee
Bill Bray
Rheal Cormier

* Any minor leaguer other than Bruce or Bailey

Targets:

* 1 or 2 starting oufileders (dependant on whether I move Dunn or not)
* 1 or 2 starting pitchers (ditto)
* Closer candidate
* A sold back-up CF
* As many prospects as I can land - for depth (especially at AA or AAA) and for future trades

* I would definitely try to combine Freel or Deno with maybe a reliever and a prospect or two for a young corner OF or starter. I would try for someone along the lines of Holiday or Hawpe from COL, Jason Jennings of the Rox or Jake Westbrook from the Tribe or any single player from the list for Dunn below. This would be bare-minimum.

* I would turn CF over to the Deno/Freel survivor (preferrably Deno). If the other landed a pitcher, I would move KGJ to a corner OF spot, if that deal landed a corner OF I would try to deal Junior for a closer or other usable player.

* I would deal Milton if at all possible, but I would want something useful in return. A closer candidate would be nice, but the position wouldn't really matter. If I couldn't deal him before the season, I would make him my fifth starter, hope he could start the season fairly well and deal him for something before the July deadline, then turn his rotation spot over to Homer.

* Dunn is a tough call. His strikeouts and BA don't bother me that much if his OBP, walks and run production stay at a pretty high-level. I love the Big Donk and those prodigious shots. I want to see a more well-rounded team though - especially a better rotation. I also worry about how much we can afford to extend him given the current market when I might be able to combine him with Phillips or a reliver and a prospect or two and find a bat farther from FA as well as upgrade the rotation.

I would target these seven organtizations and want at the very least a bat and an arm from each group if I dealt Dunn (+) to them:

Tigers
RH Jeremy Bonderman
LH Wilfredo Ledzema
LH Andrew Miller
RH Fernando Rodney
1B Chris Shelton
OF Craig Monroe

Rox
RH Jason Jennings
LH Jeff Francis
OF Matt Holliday
OF Brian Hawpe

Dodgers
RH Chad Billingsley
RH Brad Penny
RH Johnathan Broxton
1B James Loney
OF Andre Either
OF Matt Kenp

Orioles
LH Erik Bedard
RH Daniel Cabrera
RH Hayden Penn
RH Rodrio Lopez
OF Nick Markakis

Marlins
LH Dontrelle Willis
RH Sergio Mitre
RH Ricky Nolasco
RH Sergio Mitre
LH Scott Olson
RH Yusemeiro Petit
OF Miguel Cabrera
OF Jeremy Herrida
OF Reggie Abercrombie

NY Mets
OF Lastings Milledge
RP Mike Pelfrey (or other top young starter)

NY Yankees
OF Melky Cabrera
RH Phillip Hughes
RH Chien-Ming Wang

Like I said, even if I hold on to Dunn, these would be the main targets for any single deals I make. If I would deal Dunn, Griff and/or Milton, I would take part of the savings and sign Harang to a three-year extension with an option. This wouldn't be a salary dump either - I would take the rest of the savings and maybe take on a contract at the trade deadline or a FA next offseason when there should be better options.

I was bored and I've been frustrated by the lack of action so far and the state of the franchise. I've tried to not be too critical of the FO because i believe there are circumstances that somewhat limit their options. I just decided to try putting myself in their place and see what is feasible, if anything.

Sorry for the length, but I would like any opinions on what is feasible and what isn't - any feedback will be appreciated. I'm sure there are other possibilities out there. What other alternatives would you suggest to Krivsky if you were advising him?

Heath
12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Rookie.

:D

Team Clark
12-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Rookie.

Yeah.... call us when you've wasted another 200 hours of your life! :laugh:

Seriously, congratulations and Great 1000th post. :thumbup:

Keep up the good work.;)

Mario-Rijo
12-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Nice 1000th, although I believe you mean CHAD Moeller not Eric.

Mine is not far away, I should be the next to post #1000! :thumbup:

corkedbat
12-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah.... call us when you've wasted another 200 hours of your life! :laugh:

Seriously, congratulations and Great 1000th post. :thumbup:

Keep up the good work.;)

Its actually at least 2-3 times 1000 (if not more), but I switched names at one time and then switched back to corkedbat when the switched board and lost a bunch of posts..

I've been a Redszoner since way back before the turn-of the century you young whipper-snappers! :jump:

RFS62
12-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Its actually at least 2-3 times 1000 (if not more), but I switched names at one time and then switched back to corkedbat when the switched board and lost a bunch of posts..

I've been a Redszoner since way back before the turn-of the century you young whipper-snappers! :jump:

Yes you have. And you have one of the best, if not the most appropriate, user names on the board.

:beerme:

Chip R
12-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Its not every day you reach 1000 points on a board as illustrious as this one

Tell that to Krono. :lol:

Falls City Beer
12-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Tell that to Krono. :lol:

Yeah, tell 'em like 40 times. :)

corkedbat
12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes you have. And you have one of the best, if not the most appropriate, user names on the board.

:beerme:

Thanks 62...I think :laugh: