PDA

View Full Version : Pets in your house/bed?

Ltlabner
12-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Some people have dogs/cat but they are strictly outside. Others have pets that are in the house but are restricted from the bed, couch, certian rooms, etc. Others (such as Mrs Ltlabner and myself) are fine with the pets curling up in bed with us. 3 cats and 1 50-pound dog take up a lot of real estate even in a king size bed.

Where do you stand?

cumberlandreds
12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
We have a cat that is strictly indoors. He often sleeps with me and Mrs. at night and we don't mind a bit.

RedFanAlways1966
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
One Jack Russell Terrier in our house who rules the roost. Sleeps in our bed (always curls up next to my wife), lays on our furniture, etc. Everytime we take him outside to do his thing he gets a doggie treat when he comes back inside... but it must be a meaty doggie treat. He will turn his nose up at dry treats like Milkbone. He gets to sit right next to me at any eating time and beg. Doesn't whine or sit up... just waits until I cannot resist his cuteness with a piece of meat (remember nothing dry for him!).

I like to say, "If you don't spoil them, then why have them?" I think Cesar the Dog Whisperer would like to do some of his training on me and my wife!

RFS62
12-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Two cats and a dog. The cats come and go as they please. The corgi belongs to my wife, who would toss me out before she would the dog.

None of them sleep in our bed, though. The cats have the run of the neighborhood. The dog stays in the yard, unless we're on a walk.

My wife will walk the dog, and those two cats go with her. Damnedest thing I've ever seen, them walking together through the neighborhood.

pedro
12-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I have two indoor cats. They have the run of the house.

oneupper
12-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Dog.

She's usually inside, but isn't allowed in my office, the bedrooms or the kitchen.

The kitchen ban is of her own doing, after she wolfed down the substantial leftovers of a four person Chinese take-out.

westofyou
12-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Two cats, they go in out my office window from 7-3 and then they are locked inside. The little one will sleep on my wife for part of the night, the big one occasionally gets in between us and sticks his head out from out of the covers and on my pillow. I belong to him. They can and will sleep on the bed more when we aren't there.

dabvu2498
12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
We have a spaniel/beagle/whatever mix that goes whever he wants in the house within reason (he doesn't shed at all). We also have 3 greyhounds that have been trained, painstakingly, to stay off any furnature. They have "beds" on the floor of just about every room in the house.

15fan
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm horribly allergic to many things, including both cats & dogs.

So my kid has a beta.

Ravenlord
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
my cat was an indoor/outdoor cat until his death. parents didn't allow him on their bed, nor did my brother allow him on his. i encouraged the cat though :)

the cats we have now are all indoor cats. the only thing we don't allow is for them to hop onto the countertops or stove. the exception being the counter immediately next to the refrigerator so that they can get on top of the cabinets.

RANDY IN INDY
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
We have 1 dog, Jack, a golden retriever, who is inside more than out. He is not allowed on the furniture or on the beds, and he never offers. He sleeps in our bedroom at the foot of our bed, on his bed or sometimes by my bedside. He just may be my very best friend. A wonderful dog.

BoydsOfSummer
12-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Two indoor, but Molly likes to roam outside some when she can, and is a sneaky lil wench about getting out on you. She likes to sleep on top of the china cabinet way up high like a mountain lion. She also sleeps with me quite a bit.

Fatboy doesn't care to go outside at all. He can be found lounging on the back of the couch most anytime when he's not gutting up at the food dish. I suspect he'd be more active if he still had his nads.

They play-fight and 'rassle all the time. It's quite a show. They'll "box" each other and you can actually hear the punches land. <biff...bop...bap> :laugh:

flyer85
12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
We have a pair of 25lb dogs. They do not sleep on our bed.

westofyou
12-11-2006, 03:10 PM
We have a pair of 25lb dogs. They do not sleep on our bed.

I bet my big cat weighs 16 pounds, he'll probably hit 20 some day.

Roy Tucker
12-11-2006, 03:22 PM
1 dog (yellow lab named Elsa) and 2 cats (Zelmo and Beaty).

The dog is only allowed on the 1st floor of our house (no basement or 2nd story). She has a bed in the kitchen she sleeps in or anywhere on the floor. She is not allowed on any furniture. She treats these as immutable laws and you can't get her to get up on any furniture if you tried.

The 2 cats got tired of me rolling over on them and sleep with the kids. They are 2 males and are gay. They always sleep cuddled together and spend all their time licking each other.

TeamSelig
12-11-2006, 03:32 PM
lmao

HumnHilghtFreel
12-11-2006, 03:46 PM
My dog usually sleeps at the foot of my bed, as she's too old these days to jump up there with me, otherwise she probably would.

GIK
12-11-2006, 03:51 PM
My lab weighs in just north of 100-lbs. All muscle. He's inside and out every day, but always in at night (and when we're not home). A neighbor of mine leaves his dog outside and I don't understand it (it's c-c-c-cold in Michigan this time of year). I allow Charlie on the couch, but not on the bed (which is upstairs anyway and I try to keep him on the main floor - so as not to increase any likelihood of hip problems in the future).

Ravenlord
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I bet my big cat weighs 16 pounds, he'll probably hit 20 some day.

our biggest cat is 20 pounds. not fat either.

my cat topped out at 18 when he was about 12 years old.

westofyou
12-11-2006, 03:55 PM
our biggest cat is 20 pounds. not fat either.

my cat topped out at 18 when he was about 12 years old.

Yeah mines not fat either, he's a Maine Coon/Persion mix. My grandfather had a tabby that weighed 25 pounds, that was a fat cat, not healthy at all.

IslandRed
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
One cat, currently. We've had as many as three. Strictly indoor, she has the run of the place and spends at least part of the night on our bed. We both toss and turn some, so she's learned where she can be and not get squished by a rollover. About the only places she's not allowed are eating surfaces, and she's rarely downstairs now because of...

One dog. Has the run of the downstairs and a fenced back yard. She's a mix of Australian Shepherd and lab, much resembling the former. For that reason -- being female, the runt of the litter and the AS look -- we thought that little puppy would grow up to be a 40-pounder typical of the Aussies. Instead, she's a 60-pounder who still thinks she can fit in my lap when I'm sitting on the couch. She's crated when we're out of the house.

The dog would love to play with the cat, but the cat wants no part of it. They'll sit on opposite sides of the gates (originally put up for kids, now more useful to corral the dog) and look at each other for awhile, but that's about it.

bucksfan
12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
1 75-lb golden retriever and 2 cat (~ 14 and 16 lbs each). The dog is 100&#37; indoors and the cats sleep in the garage at night. They would have been indoors animals probably had it not been for the fact that we had an indoor cat when these happened upon us. They do as they wish but since we have no neighbors within a mile or more (and they are neutered) they do not intrude. In fact I have never known them to go off of the acreage right by our house. They come into the garage every single night though.

The dog slept in bed the 1st couple months we had him just to ease his anxiousness (he came from another family replacing our 1st golden after a sudden death). But now he sleeps on the floor on a pet bed next to ours. He is not allowed on the good furniture (if we have what you can call "good furniture"!) but he has a couch in the entry room he is allowed to get on whenever he wishes.

KittyDuran
12-11-2006, 06:51 PM
1 blonde tabby cat - who's indoor/outdoor. She just stays around the yard and sometimes ventures up the street. I allow her up on the furniture but not on the counters in the kitchen. She mostly sleeps in a chair downstairs but will climb up in bed with me right before the alarm goes off - then she meows until I get up to feed her.

GAC
12-11-2006, 08:01 PM
No animals.... just three kids. That's enough.

wally post
12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
we have two Shelties - you can see the little guy in action here:

http://www.billyward.com/videos_MaxTheDog.html

They (Max and Gracie) sleep on their own little doggie beds - but enjoy coming into bed for hugs before going asleep and before waking up.

They are awesome intelligent - ever-loving critters!

Red in Chicago
12-11-2006, 08:21 PM
1 little dog...he's a fox terrier and i've had him for 12 years...he has complete run of the house...

during the daytime, he sleeps in his padded rocking chair...

when i come home from work, he will usually sit with me in my chair and watch tv...the second i turn off the tv, he knows it's bedtime and jumps up...too funny...

at night, he sleeps with me...yes, i know you wouldn't think that someone like me would allow this, but i do...i wash all the bedding twice a week though;) love that dog:thumbup:

Dom Heffner
12-11-2006, 08:27 PM
4 cats: Yoshimitsu (Yoshi), Boss Kitty, Tyson (He bites my ear and swats at his food to kill it- I've tried to explain that it is not only dead but really, really processed and already made to eat but no luck), and Miss Kushu.

They sleep in the bed every night. Between my legs, on my side, around the pillow and under the covers. Kushu nurses on my head and neck when I sleep, which is really weird considering she is almost a year old. It's very strange but truly endearing.

pedro
12-11-2006, 08:28 PM
anyone else's cat turn over their water bowl?

Dom Heffner
12-11-2006, 08:31 PM
anyone else's cat turn over their water bowl?

Boss Kitty will if you give him water in one of those bowls that refills itself. He likes to splash it and watch the water fill back up and sometimes the water bowl gets turned over. It's a shame because those things would really save me time and energy n filling the water dish.

reds1869
12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
We a have a strictly indoor cat who is enormous (25 pounds and not an ounce of fat) and takes up half our bed. He's like having an extra blanket in the winter time.

Highlifeman21
12-11-2006, 08:53 PM
My roommate down here has a 97 lbs pit bull named Deno.

That dog does whatever the hell it wants.

I lock my door to my room whenever I'm not in it, so the damn thing doesn't go exploring.

vaticanplum
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
This thread is cracking me up and I would like to seize this opportunity as an excuse to tell this only semi-related story, which is my favorite of the last couple of weeks. A couple of weeks ago, my cousin's daughter, who's four, came downstairs after she had been put to bed and her parents were watching television. I can't sleep, my stuffed animals are making too much noise, she told them. So my cousin says, sweetie, you need to go to bed. Your stuffed animals are not making any noise. Go back upstairs and go to sleep. So she did.

A couple of hours later, they go up to go to bed, and her door is shut and all of her stuffed animals are lined up along the hallway. Her parents wouldn't do anything about the situation so she kicked the animals out :lol:

Our moms hooted and hollered over this; they told my cousin she has a lot to learn because the correct response to this was clearly to teach the little one to take control of the situation and tell her stuffed animals to be quiet instead of not believing her. Parents are weird.

Dom Heffner
12-11-2006, 09:58 PM
my stuffed animals are making too much noise

I thought this was happening to me once- but come to think of it, I was in a completely different state of mind than your little cousin.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
my pomeranian sleeps at the foot of me and my wife's bed about twice a week. The rest of the week she stays glued to my oldest daughter. We got her as a christmas present to my 2 daughters last year. Best 350.00 we ever spent.

BoydsOfSummer
12-12-2006, 01:31 AM
My cat Fatboy won't cover up his poo. Anyone ever seen this before? He sometimes will scratch at the litter before he goes. But then after he goes he'll scratch the sides of the box, the wall, the curtain, anything but the litter to cover it up. And it's some pretty nasty nuclear kitty-poo.

I've never heard nor seen anything like it before. :dunno:

Jpup
12-12-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm fine with pets as long as their not mine and I would never have a pet in my house. My pops is the same way, but my mother and brother love animals. I do well to keep my mess cleaned up. I'm not much on the smell either.

I wouldn't mind a dog for outside if I had kids, but I will never allow an animal to live in the house. Nothing wrong with it, but it's just not me.

Gainesville Red
12-12-2006, 02:44 AM
I've got a boston terrier who I sport in my avatar.

I'm not even sure if I could sleep anymore without her cuddled in her little ball next to us.

Her name is Manny. I'm not sure if I have to re-name her if Manny gets traded from Boston. I figured Boston terrier = from Boston, Manny's in Boston. We'll see.

GAC
12-12-2006, 07:59 AM
we have two Shelties - you can see the little guy in action here:

http://www.billyward.com/videos_MaxTheDog.html

They (Max and Gracie) sleep on their own little doggie beds - but enjoy coming into bed for hugs before going asleep and before waking up.

They are awesome intelligent - ever-loving critters!

My aunt raises those. She also has their vocal cords cut due to the fact they constantly, constantly are barking.

I find that cruel. Why even own the dog if the constant yapping bothers you (and the neighbors)?

wally post
12-12-2006, 08:27 AM
My aunt raises those. She also has their vocal cords cut due to the fact they constantly, constantly are barking.

I find that cruel. Why even own the dog if the constant yapping bothers you (and the neighbors)?

That is something I have fantasized about :angry: ..but all in all, I could never do that. We work on training with them - they are better than they have been about barking - but I am certain they will never truly "get it".:help: :laugh:

TeamMorris
12-12-2006, 09:28 AM
We have 2 cats in the house. Mine, A siamese mix (Ling) and TB's orange tiger (Tia). Mine is my little princess and pretty much does what she wants in my part of the house:) If I am not in her sight she will come look for me. She is indoor/outdoor and sleeps with me or my son and night. Tia is spoiled also but does have some rules to follow;). She is like a little puppy at times also. Loves to walk and hang out in the woods with TC.

BoxingRed
12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm fine with pets as long as their not mine and I would never have a pet in my house. My pops is the same way, but my mother and brother love animals. I do well to keep my mess cleaned up. I'm not much on the smell either.

I wouldn't mind a dog for outside if I had kids, but I will never allow an animal to live in the house. Nothing wrong with it, but it's just not me.

I appreciate your honesty Jpup. Please make sure you don't get a dog. They really are not meant to be left outside IMO. Dogs enjoy/need the company of others, especially that of their master. Nothing sadder than a dog that is constantly left outside with only periodic visits for feeding. Dogs are not inanimate possessions .
I applaud those that don't get dogs when they don't really want them. Too many people end up with a pooch just because they think they should have one.

Puffy
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
1 dog, Jobu, a 55 lb chocolate lab and she has the run of the house. As a matter of fact in the bed sleeping pecking order she is now #1 and I have been relegated to #2. Always fun to sleep in a queen bed and have a little corner all to yourself while your dog has the rest of the bed.

RFS62
12-12-2006, 11:38 AM
1 dog, Jobu, a 55 lb chocolate lab and she has the run of the house. As a matter of fact in the bed sleeping pecking order she is now #1 and I have been relegated to #2. Always fun to sleep in a queen bed and have a little corner all to yourself while your dog has the rest of the bed.

How's Jobu doing, Puffy?

TeamCasey
12-12-2006, 12:06 PM
We have 2 cats in the house. Mine, A siamese mix (Ling) and TB's orange tiger (Tia). Mine is my little princess and pretty much does what she wants in my part of the house:) If I am not in her sight she will come look for me. She is indoor/outdoor and sleeps with me or my son and night. Tia is spoiled also but does have some rules to follow;). She is like a little puppy at times also. Loves to walk and hang out in the woods with TC.

Tia has manners. ;) She's not allowed on tables and counters, unlike that little heathen downstairs. :laugh:

Just kidding. Both cats are my buddies.

Tia sleeps with me or downstairs at TBs or on a bed I made for her. (Depending on the time of year, I think). She thinks she's a puppy and likes to walk the woods with me. It's really hard to see her get old. She's one of a kind.

Chip R
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Tia has manners. ;) She's not allowed on tables and counters, unlike that little heathen downstairs. :laugh:

That little heathen can talk, you know. ;)

bengalsown
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
One Pug and one Bengal Cat. The Pug likes to steal my girlfriends pillow at night. They really don't have any limitations as to where they can go in our house, which is unfortunate because Pugs are pretty lousy when it comes to house training, and our house is only a little more than a year old...

Puffy
12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
How's Jobu doing, Puffy?

Good thanks.

We have conquered the food allergies problem - now we are working on the being a Lab problem! Seriously, she is in Orlando at my parents house til Christmas and she is going to a dog obedience person to teach her not to jump. We went once while I was there and have made serious progress, and my dad is going to take her back with the niecies and nephew so they can be trained with her.

TeamMorris
12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
That little heathen can talk, you know. ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gm
12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
We've had a black cocker for 10+ years. My wife is "his" person. He doesn't see/hear/move around very well anymore, so he sleeps on the floor on "mommy's" side of the bed.

My boys (ages 14, 11) wanted a dog that they could play with, so we added a beagle back in September. Suddenly, we have to be careful where we place food on the counter, again. Whenever someone comes home, he must grab a loose sock and attract our attention. We'll let him jump up on the beds (like, who can stop him?) but he prefers to sleep in closets.

Neither dog can remain outside alone for 5-10 minutes (regardless of the weather) without arousing the entire neighborhood.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I have a golden retriever named Casey, a collie named Griffey and a cat name Rose. They all have free reign of the house and Casey sleeps by me in bed w/ my wife. Much like Randy said, Casey may very well be my best friend as well. All are great dogs, go outside when told and stay in the confines of the yard w/o a fence. We are very lucky.

Shelties are a lot like Collies. Griffey is CONSTANTLY barking and waking the baby. It is frustrating.

cincinnati chili
12-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Her name is Manny.

Hey, my dog is Manny too. He's a he. Despite living in Boston and meeting a dog named "Brady" or "Bruschi" every other day, I've NEVER met another dog named Manny.

We were told by dog trainers that it's a bad idea to let your dog sleep with you (dominance issue). But that didn't last long. He kept begging to sleep with us, so we relented. Manny is very persuasive.

I've had animals all my life, and he's the smartest one I've ever had. Not the best behaved, but definitely the smartest.

His trick repetoire includes: He can push the walk light at a crosswalk, will stand on his hind legs and put his front paws straight up in the air when you point a fake gun at him and say "this is a stick up", will fall down dead when you "shoot" him with this fake gun, will close doors if we tie a rope to a doorknob, and will hump a dog three times his size just to be obnoxious.

RANDY IN INDY
12-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey, my dog is Manny too. He's a he. Despite living in Boston and meeting a dog named "Brady" or "Bruschi" every other day, I've NEVER met another dog named Manny.

We were told by dog trainers that it's a bad idea to let your dog sleep with you (dominance issue). But that didn't last long. He kept begging to sleep with us, so we relented. Manny is very persuasive.

I've had animals all my life, and he's the smartest one I've ever had. Not the best behaved, but definitely the smartest.

His trick repetoire includes: He can push the walk light at a crosswalk, will stand on his hind legs and put his front paws straight up in the air when you point a fake gun at him and say "this is a stick up", will fall down dead when you "shoot" him with this fake gun, will close doors if we tie a rope to a doorknob, and will hump a dog three times his size just to be obnoxious.

:laugh:

RFS62
12-13-2006, 08:07 AM
and will hump a dog three times his size just to be obnoxious.

That's just Manny being Manny.

:cool:

cincinnati chili
12-13-2006, 09:53 PM
That's just Manny being Manny.

:cool:

We hear that frequently.

While my dog is a lot smarter than they other Manny, they do have a few similarities. They're both talented, and fun-loving but sometimes surly.

vaticanplum
12-13-2006, 10:26 PM

Oh my god, you guys are killing me here.

Sometimes I think that if I could get one thing out of this life that I don't have yet, it would be to own a dog again. All I want in the world.