PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Blue Jackets

Sean_CaseyRules
12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Anyone suprised with the turn around this team is making? I've got tickets to saturdays game and I'm really excited, I think that we are heading into the right direction now!

Red Leader
12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
They are far enough away from expansion that their farm system and draft picks are bearing their fruit. That Brule kid is going to be something special. You can already see it. I like Ken Hitchcock a lot more than Gallant as well.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Ken seems to have them playing harder, earlier in the year it didn't look like they were trying hard to get to the front of the net, or flying down the ice. They looked like they were in slow motion compaired to the other teams that they were facing.

westofyou
12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Ken Hitchcock is a hard arese, he has a system and it's always rooted in defense, very clutch and grab he's yet to fully prove that his system works in the new NHL, what you might be experiencing is a swing to the mean, as the BJ's weren't as bad as they seemed to be. But I wouldn't drink the Ken Hitchcock kool aid fully just yet, give him a few months to see if the swing is him or the team.

reds1869
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
KH is a very good coach. I'm driving up with the in-laws for Saturday's game; should be a blast! I haven't been to see the CBJ since I lived in Columbus.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
After last night's 3-1 win over Dallas, that makes a 4-game road win streak and a 5-game win streak overall. I know its still early, but hopefully we can see a playoff game in Columbus this year!

Heath
12-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I agree with woy - Hitchcock can do things in the Reg Season, but the playoffs are something else. He's an obstruction coach and that's what Doug McLean did in Florida. Hitch is a name and that helps with the credibility of the franchise. They just happen to play in the most brutal division in the league.

I'd love to watch them more, but Jeff Remer's voice on FSN Ohio is just grating. I wish they'd get someone else.

M2
12-13-2006, 05:37 PM
It's always nice to see a newer team getting some traction. That said, Columbus is going to have to beat out at least one of Detroit, Nashville, Edmonton, Minnesota, Calgary, Anaheim, San Jose or Dallas in order to make the playoffs. It won't be an easy task. Vancouver and Colorado aren't pushovers either.

Caseyfan21
12-13-2006, 06:21 PM
I agree with woy - Hitchcock can do things in the Reg Season, but the playoffs are something else.

I'm not really a huge Jackets fan but I've been to a few games and being in Columbus will generally read some of the articles about them in the Dispatch. The Jackets goals right now appear to just be getting to the playoffs so I think if Hitchcock can do that he will be very popular with Jackets fans.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I will definately be there if we do make it!

deltachi8
12-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I completely agree with WOY. Hitch has not shown an ability to adapt his coaching to the new NHL. I think what you may be seeing is the Jackets realizing they simply were not as bad as they played early on. The coach can certainly have something to do with that, but I think Hitchcock's effect in this area will be short lived. His long term success and that of the Blue Jackets will be determined by his ability to have a team succeed with the current style of play in the league.

M2
12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I completely agree with WOY. Hitch has not shown an ability to adapt his coaching to the new NHL. I think what you may be seeing is the Jackets realizing they simply were not as bad as they played early on. The coach can certainly have something to do with that, but I think Hitchcock's effect in this area will be short lived. His long term success and that of the Blue Jackets will be determined by his ability to have a team succeed with the current style of play in the league.

Good point. You've got to be able to stick the puck in the net these days, to send numbers foward and get yourself three or four goals for a win. You can't just trap and counter. Teams like San Jose, Colorado, Atlanta and Tampa Bay will carve that up.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-15-2006, 09:34 AM
The Jackets, even though they lost, showed a lot to me, after being down 4-2, they didn't give up and went into the sootout. I would've liked to have seen them win, but after that power play goal to put the Cyotes up by 2 they didn't give up. Nash had a GREAT game last night.

guttle11
12-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't know how that puck got through Norrena in the shootout. Simple bad luck, I guess. They've taken 11 out of a possible 12 points in the last 6 games. It's a start! Gotta come home Saturday and get back on the winning track.

westofyou
12-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Losing a lead to the Yotes pretty much plays into the Jackets main weakness, they don't have a D man that is world class nor do they have an effective offensive defenseman, they distribute 5 of their top 7 minutes played to defensemen and only 1 has a positive plus minus.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-15-2006, 12:51 PM
I for one am going to stay a glass half full type of guy and watch as we go on a tear and make the playoffs this year, may not be deep, but once they get a little taste, they will want to be back year after year.

cincyinco
12-15-2006, 01:00 PM
is footer playing for the jackets these days?

westofyou
12-15-2006, 01:10 PM
is footer playing for the jackets these days?

Yep, he's leading them in minutes. Adams game was more old NHL though, much like Darrian Hatchers. He's still a rock and an instigator, it just doesn't go as far as it used to.

cincyinco
12-15-2006, 01:12 PM
man, he was one of my fav avs by far - when he was young he'd really get in someone's face... he's reigned it in a lot, evident even before he left CO. I sure miss his D.

timmario66
12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Ken Hitchcock is a hard arese, he has a system and it's always rooted in defense, very clutch and grab he's yet to fully prove that his system works in the new NHL, what you might be experiencing is a swing to the mean, as the BJ's weren't as bad as they seemed to be. But I wouldn't drink the Ken Hitchcock kool aid fully just yet, give him a few months to see if the swing is him or the team.

Umm, the Flyers did have over 100 points last year with numerous injuries and rookies playing major minutes last year. It's not his fault Clarke put 3 or 4 over paid plyons on defense.

westofyou
12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Umm, the Flyers did have over 100 points last year with numerous injuries and rookies playing major minutes last year. It's not his fault Clarke put 3 or 4 over paid plyons on defense.

1/2 the east had over 100 points last season, but point taken.

Hitchcock had to play part in the inking of Hatcher, the Flyres lost out on Foote and the next they signed Hatcher, Rathje and Therian and traded Markov, I can't see Hitchcock not playing part in that slew of moves.

M2
12-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Last year's Flyers were pretty much a testament to Peter Forsberg's greatness. That team was listless without him (Simon Gagne in particular looks lost when Forberg's not on the ice, just waiting for passes that never come).

Though I'm not sure that even Forsberg at his peak could do anything for the current Flyers team. They're about as bad as it gets for second and third lines.

However they've got an underrated good player in former B.U. defenseman Freddy Meyer. I root for him even as I relish a season of watching Philly getting its butt waxed.

Patrick Bateman
12-15-2006, 04:47 PM
If Forsberg was healthy (which he rarely is), they could have 2 decent lines with Jeff Carter due to come back.

The Flyers also shot themselves in the foot in the Calder-Handzus trade. I'm a huge Hawk fan so I'll pimp this trade as often as possible. Zeus may be injured, but Calder still hasn't caught him in points and it's not even very close.

Patrick Bateman
12-16-2006, 03:14 PM
However they've got an underrated good player in former B.U. defenseman Freddy Meyer. I root for him even as I relish a season of watching Philly getting its butt waxed.

It looks like Philly sent Meyer to the Islanders for Zhitnick. I thought the Flyers had learned to stop trading their good young players for aging players. A weird trade considering the Isles are in the playoff hunt and the Flyers are supposedly in rebuild mode.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Speaking of the Jackets, anyone catching the game this evening against Detroit?

I'll be watching.

M2
12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
It looks like Philly sent Meyer to the Islanders for Zhitnick. I thought the Flyers had learned to stop trading their good young players for aging players. A weird trade considering the Isles are in the playoff hunt and the Flyers are supposedly in rebuild mode.

That'll teach me to never say anything nice about the Flyers.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Nice 4-3 win over Detroit last night

westofyou
12-19-2006, 09:49 AM

BJ's beat Dom in the first period, easily the worst period the RW have had since they lost to the Sharks in SJ earlier, I watched it while I rode my stationary, with the sound off... you just knew that Dom was going to get yanked, he looked asleep. The Wings owned the rest of the game, the BJ's goalie won it for them with some stellar play. BJ's should relish those 2 points, it goes to show that the game is a 3 period experience, but sometimes the scales tip funny if one period is handed ove.r

westofyou
12-21-2006, 10:25 AM

And yet 5-0 in last nights game, BJ's looked flat last night, rubber game coming up.

timmario66
12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
And yet 5-0 in last nights game, BJ's looked flat last night, rubber game coming up.

And I'll probably be there.:thumbup:

Sean_CaseyRules
12-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I sure do love hockey when my football team is terrible!!

westofyou
04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I sure do love hockey when my football team is terrible!!

Still loving them now?

13-18-3 on 12-21 and 32-39-7 today.

They're a streaky bunch ain't they, win 3 lose 3, win 4 lose 3.

I have to admit I haven't paid any attention to them, how's Hitch really working out?

reds1869
04-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Still loving them now?

13-18-3 on 12-21 and 32-39-7 today.

They're a streaky bunch ain't they, win 3 lose 3, win 4 lose 3.

I have to admit I haven't paid any attention to them, how's Hitch really working out?

This season is by far the best in franchsie history. Things are looking up, though Hitch needs to solve the streakiness somehow. At times this team plays with the fire of a champion--they just need to figure out how to do so all the time.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm still loving them! lol! Hopefully next year will be even better than this year with a run into the postseason!

redsfan1966
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I refuse to root for the Blue Jackets until Doug MacLean is fired as GM....he must go...

westofyou
05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=206227

Off-Season Game Plan: Blue Jackets

Yet another disappointing season in Columbus ended with the Blue Jackets dropping the axe on president and general manager Doug MacLean.

Off-Season Game Plan looks at what options might be available to a team that is still searching for that elusive first playoff appearance.

The first order of business for the Blue Jackets is to find a general manager; one that will work well with existing coach Ken Hitchcock.

Hitchcock makes the Jackets more competitive, but there's a long way from being competitive to being a playoff team in the Western Conference.
Related Info

While Hitchcock seems optimistic that that the team will continue to improve. He also knows the enormity of the task at hand to have Columbus become a 100-point team.

"Pittsburgh went from 50 to 105 points this year," Hitchcock told the Columbus Dispatch. "One guy (Sidney Crosby) pushed the engine. We're looking for a couple guys to push the engine. I think we have one guy in place in (Rick) Nash. I think we found a guy we can follow, who will do whatever it takes to be a supreme player."

Nash is the franchise player, but he's coming off a 57-point season. Rare is the franchise scoring winger who has such little production.

That's not to lay all the blame at Nash's skates, either.

A playmaking centre, or two, will be necessary to get the most out of Nash and Nikolai Zherdev. With recent first round picks Gilbert Brule and Derick Brassard in the organization, those could be the playmaking centres that the team needs, but it's quite likely going to be a couple of seasons before they are ready to reach their potential.

These decisions will fall under the domain of the new general manager. Since Hitchcock is entrenched in the coach's role, the new GM should have a previous working relationship with Hitchcock.

Bob Clarke, Pat Quinn, Craig Button and Ron Hextall are front office types that have crossed paths with Hitchcock in the past.

The good news for Blue Jackets fans is that Hitchcock's past includes virtually annual playoff appearances. When you're looking for just one, it's nice to have the captain of the ship know how to get there.

GM/COACH
Vacant/Ken Hitchcock

Returning Forwards
Player TSN.ca Rating Salary
David Vyborny 73.32 $2.2M
Rick Nash 73.22 $5.5M
Fredrik Modin 69.48 $2.75M
Sergei Fedorov 67.77 $6.08M
Jason Chimera 66.83 $1.0M
Dan Fritsche 66.57 $750K
Nikolai Zherdev 60.75 $2.5M
Manny Malhotra 60.23 $1.2M
Gilbert Brule 54.77 $850K
Jody Shelley 53.25 $650K
Free Agent Forwards
Player TSN.ca Rating Class
Alexander Svitov 58.86 RFA

Top Prospects: Derick Brassard, Geoff Platt, Alexandre Picard

Columbus needs more out of Rick Nash, but he is just 22. The Blue Jackets hitched the franchise's wagon to Nash following a 41-goal season in 2003-2004, but he's scored 58 goals combined in two post-lockout seasons. Nevertheless, he's a bona fide first-line winger who should be good for 40 goals annually.

David Vyborny and Fredrik Modin are often underrated veterans whose experience is invaluable for a team with so many young forwards.

Then we come to a couple of wildcards. Sergei Fedorov is past his prime, which makes it tough to pay him $6-million, but that's where the Blue Jackets are right now. If they could find a contending team that might like the idea of Fedorov for one year, perhaps that's something that the new general manager will consider.

The other wildcard is Nikolai Zherdev. The 22 year-old endured a miserable 2006-2007 season, scoring just ten goals. With the talent to be a 40-goal scorer, Zherdev warrants patience, but it's also possible that he's not going to fit in with Ken Hitchcock's style.

Jason Chimera and Dan Fritsche are improving two-way players that would provide a good base for the third line.

Manny Malhotra is a useful checking centre and both Alexander Svitov and Gilbert Brule have shown enough potential that they will have roster spots next season.

That leaves Jody Shelley to provide the muscle.

In order to round out these lines, the Blue Jackets may give talented prospect Derick Brassard a look, but it might behoove the organization to look for more veteran help and let Brassard mature.

Like any team, the Blue Jackets would be happy to add the likes of Scott Gomez, Chris Drury or Daniel Briere, but that might be a reach for a team that doesn't have a playoff pedigree.

Moving down a tier, though, Taylor Pyatt, Mike Comrie and Tyler Arnason are capable of playing prominent roles in Columbus or some other younger free agent forwards like Nikolai Antropov and Josef Vasicek could be inexpensive additions for a growing team.

Returning Defencemen
Duvie Westcott 67.37 $1.1M
Rostislav Klesla 67.12 $1.45M
Ron Hainsey 65.75 $900K
Adam Foote 61.40 $4.6M
Free Agent Defencemen
Anders Eriksson 70.33 UFA
Bryan Berard 66.40 UFA
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen 64.36 RFA
Aaron Johnson 61.45 RFA

Top Prospects: Kris Russell, Marc Methot

A unit that is desperate for a number one defenceman.

Adam Foote is a veteran leader, but he's limited with the puck, so a veteran power play quarterback should be on the shopping list.

The rest of the defence is actually coming along.

Ron Hainsey and Rostislav Klesla, perhaps getting out from under the high expectations of being first-round picks, are turning into capable defencemen.

Duvie Westcott can be a contributor too, if he's recovered from a concussion that cost him much of the 2006-2007 season.

Ole-Kristian Tollefsen is a very good depth defenceman. He's big, physical and hard to play against.

While prospect Kris Russell could be the team's power play quarterback of the future, bringing in a veteran to handle the role would accelerate the Blue Jackets' development. While the Jackets may not have the pedigree to land the big-ticket free agent defencemen, perhaps a Tom Poti or even a short-term solution like Jaroslav Modry could help.

Of course, the Jackets could decide that Sergei Fedorov's home should be on the blueline so he could be the power play quarterback.

Returning Goaltenders
Fredrik Norrena 67.53 $800K
Pascal Leclaire 56.80 $1.4M
Free Agent Goaltenders
Brian Boucher 45.60 $UFA

Top Prospects: Steve Mason

Norrena was a pleasant surprise and has every right to the starter's job.

LeClaire had the starting gig handed to him after Marc Denis was dealt to Tampa Bay, but his play declined and then he was injured, opening the door for Norrena. LeClaire may be better in the backup role for now and his presence gives the Jackets a solid duo between the pipes.

DRAFT
7th - Karl Alzner, Keaton Ellerby, James van Riemsdyk, Sam Gagner

FREE AGENCY
The Blue Jackets have approximately $34-million committed to salaries for next season
Needs: Two top six forwards, One top pair defenceman

TRADE MARKET
Zherdev, Fedorov, Leclaire

westofyou
08-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Screen Shots: A look at the Central

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=screenshots070824

Columbus Blue Jackets: Why No. 5?

Although the dismissal of former GM Doug MacLean is addition by subtraction, there's not nearly enough complementary additions nor additional subtractions to warrant dreams of the franchise's first playoff appearance.

Yes, a full season of Ken Hitchcock's tutelage will help Rick Nash, Nikolai Zherdev and Gilbert Brule round out their games, and new GM Scott Howson won't be fooled into ill-advised trades or signings of the Sergei Fedorov/Anson Carter variety. But 137-year-old Adam Foote remains their best defenseman, and goalie Pascal Leclaire has received more second chances than Steve Howe.

It's a long way up from where the Jackets finished last season. At this stage, positioning the ladder in the upright position is challenge enough.

wheels
08-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Any thoughts on Michael Peca at this stage in his career?

Good signing or no?

guttle11
08-25-2007, 09:30 PM
If he can stay healthy he will improve the roster. Not dramatically, but it will be noticeable.

If he has a good first half they could flip him for a couple of youngsters.

I think it's a good move.

westofyou
08-25-2007, 10:23 PM
If he can stay healthy he will improve the roster. Not dramatically, but it will be noticeable.

If he has a good first half they could flip him for a couple of youngsters.

I think it's a good move.

He plays the game right... hence why he gets hurt.

He'll pester some Wings.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Peca is a solid checking player. He would really be more of a final piece to the puzzle for a team.

He's a solid player, but shouldn't make a huge difference for the Jackets. Peca should at least be a good presence to have guys like Nash, Zherdev, and Brule.

BuckU
08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
As long as they don't put him on a scoring line he will be fine. In the old McClean days they would bring in noted checking line players and try to put them on scoring lines and it never worked out (Tood Marchant, Grant Marshall). I think Howsen & Hitch know how to use a guy like Peca.

If he centers a line of Chimera & Fritche we might finally have a shutdown line to match up with the other team's top line. I'm liking the looks of the top three lines

Nash/Federov/Modin
Vyborny/Novatny or Brule/Zherdev
Chimera/Peca/Fritsche