PDA

View Full Version : College advice?

WVRed
12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I may have started a topic on this before, but I dont think I have.

I'm on track to have my associates degree in business administration completed in the spring of 2008 at WVU-Parkersburg. Its more or less a community college, but they do offer bachelor degrees in some fields, one of which is business admin with a focus in accounting, which is what I am going for.

I want to stay in state if at all possible. I'm wondering if some fellow mountaineers such as RedsBaron, Randy, etc might have a working knowledge of schools in West Virginia.

Right now, I am keeping four options open.

WVU Morgantown
Marshall
WVU Parkersburg
Glenville

WVU-P has an accounting program, and the Bureau of Public Debt is here in Parkersburg, but I want to get out on my own, and I think a degree from WVU or Marshall would look better than WVU-P.

Thoughts?

Heath
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I visited (never attended) West Liberty State.

I liked how it was close to somethings.

The Dog track in Wheeling would have been a deterrent in those days I'm afraid.

:D

reds1869
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I attended Marshall and loved every minute of it. As a native of Parkersburg, I can tell you that WVUP has made great strides but you are correct in assuming a WVU or Marshall sheepskin will carry more weight. Stay away from Glenville. My mother finished her degree there and I was not at all impressed. Though it was pretty cool that she had Rich Rodriguez as a professor.

WVRed
12-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I attended Marshall and loved every minute of it. As a native of Parkersburg, I can tell you that WVUP has made great strides but you are correct in assuming a WVU or Marshall sheepskin will carry more weight. Stay away from Glenville. My mother finished her degree there and I was not at all impressed. Though it was pretty cool that she had Rich Rodriguez as a professor.

Marshall is a draw for me, since I lived close outside of Ashland for awhile and have family in the area. The only concern with Marshall I have is getting a good internship. Based on what ive read, WVU) have been more successful with larger companies(including the Cincinnati Bengals) and with Pittsburgh an hour away, id imagine the job opportunities out of college would be better.

Thanks.:)

jmcclain19
12-15-2006, 02:27 AM
For some reason, College searches remind me of this joke

Tim had three girlfriends, but couldn't decide which one he should marry, so he gave each one $5,000 to see how each of them spent it, and to help him make his decision.

The first woman used the money to get a total makeover, telling Tim that she wanted to look pretty for him because she loved him.

The second woman went out and bought new golf clubs, a DVD player, a big-screen TV, and a stereo. She gave these things to Tim and told him she bought them for him because she loved him.

The third woman took the money and invested it, doubling her investment and returning the original $5,000 to him. She told him she had invested for their future because she loved him.

Tim thought for a long time about how each of the women had decided to spend the money, and finally decided to marry the one with the biggest boobs.

On a serious note - when I was in school, we had a group of about 15-20 of us that stayed together for years - and everyone in that group, and most of my extended friends, changed their majors at least once, sometimes dramatically.
Including myself.

So when in doubt, I'd say pick the one you are most comfortable at during your visits.

cincyinco
12-15-2006, 03:45 AM
I can tell you where NOT to go.. heh.. ;)