12-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Sign him, Krivsky.

Krusty
12-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Why?

Falls City Beer
Sign him, Krivsky.

Not before other salaries are dumped. They're maxed on payroll.

BRM
Sign him, Krivsky.

To play where? He'd have to trade Phillips to make room for him...although I'm not necessarily against that.

OnBaseMachine
12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
This is why I wish Krivsky hadn't signed Gonzalez. I would have moved Phillips to SS and signed Giles to play second base.

westofyou
12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
I would have moved Phillips to SS and signed Giles to play second base.I would have bought Microsoft stock in 1982, but I didn't know that it was going to get that dos contract.

No one knew that Giles was going to be DFA, most assumed he was going to be traded to the Padres, who will likely sign him.

RedsManRick
12-12-2006, 08:42 PM
God forbid Alex Gonzalez might have been off the FA market by now. What WOULD we have done........? (glares at Freel and his 2b mitt)

Buckeye33
12-12-2006, 08:49 PM
God forbid Alex Gonzalez might have been off the FA market by now. What WOULD we have done........? (glares at Freel and his 2b mitt)

Everyone who thinks Freel can play everday at any position and produce good results is kidding themselves. He just isn't an everyday player. I like him a ton in the role that he is best fit for. Playing 4 out of 7 games in RF, CF, 2B, or 3B. That is the role in which he can excell.

I'd be all for the Reds signing Giles, even with Phillips and Gonzalez on the team. You'd have a lot of options at that point. I also like Phillips, but he still has to prove that last season was not a fluke and produce again this coming season. Depth is a wonderful thing.

RedsManRick
12-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Giles is going to get offered the 3B job in SD probably and get a nice chunk of change. Just cause he (and others) are DFA'd doesn't mean they aren't going to cash in in this market.

Gallen5862
12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Sign Giles! Krivisky has shown a willingness to sign talent and worry about where the pieces fit later. Giles would provide great depth and give the Reds more trade options and roster flexibility.

OnBaseMachine
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I would have bought Microsoft stock in 1982, but I didn't know that it was going to get that dos contract.

No one knew that Giles was going to be DFA, most assumed he was going to be traded to the Padres, who will likely sign him.

I was pushing for the Reds to trade for Giles long before Gonzalez was signed, and apparently it wouldn't have taken a whole lot to get him.

Caveat Emperor
12-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Sign him, Krivsky.

Does he pitch or play right field?

If the answer is no, then he isn't someone the team really needs to be looking at right now.

Highlifeman21
12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Does he pitch or play right field?

If the answer is no, then he isn't someone the team really needs to be looking at right now.

He can't be any worse than the options we have at both spots, so let's give him a ST invite and see how he looks out of the stretch and a full wind up....

lollipopcurve
12-12-2006, 10:09 PM
So, no team -- 0-- wanted to give Schuerholtz anything for Giles. And the Braves are jettisoning him (with who to take his place?). How this provides the Reds with a sudden good excuse to trade Phillips, I don't know.

SD or bust, I assume.

Joseph
12-12-2006, 10:13 PM
This move is a bit baffling to me too. Someone with inside knowledge will have to explain to me how no team offered the Braves at least a suspect A baller for him if they knew they'd non-tender him.

BoydsOfSummer
12-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I think they non-tendered Reitsma also.

traderumor
12-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't know if it the right position for the Reds to take, but it seems pretty obvious that they were not comfortable with Phillips as the everyday SS. I haven't seen him play anywhere but 2b, so I have no opinion on that possibility, but that seems to be the wisdom they were operating on.

cincyinco
12-12-2006, 11:56 PM
I was pushing for the Reds to trade for Giles long before Gonzalez was signed, and apparently it wouldn't have taken a whole lot to get him.

So you advocate giving up talent to get a guy who was non tendered?

Sounds like a Dan'O type of move to me... glad we didn't.

Patrick Bateman
12-13-2006, 12:06 AM
This move is a bit baffling to me too. Someone with inside knowledge will have to explain to me how no team offered the Braves at least a suspect A baller for him if they knew they'd non-tender him.

I assume nobody wanted to pay Giles what he would get in arbitration, and would rather attempt to sign him on the open market.

cincinnati chili
12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
The move doesn't make sense to me. Even in a down year, I think the guy is worth what he'd get in arbitration. But Sheurholz deserves a fair amount of rope. Maybe he knows something.

OnBaseMachine
12-13-2006, 12:11 AM
So you advocate giving up talent to get a guy who was non tendered?

Sounds like a Dan'O type of move to me... glad we didn't.

No. I advocated giving up as little as possible to get Giles, someone like a Szymanski or Valiquette. Giles is a solid player worth taking a shot on.

Cedric
12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
No. I advocated giving up as little as possible to get Giles, someone like a Szymanski or Valiquette. Giles is a solid player worth taking a shot on.

Before testing he was.

cincyinco
12-13-2006, 12:16 AM

It just seems to reek of Dustin Moseley/Ramon Ortiz... I don't get it.

Giles is a solid player yes, and I'd love to take a shot on him still - even if there is no certain place for him... He's certainly more valuable IMO than some of the parts on the roster..

But I'm glad we didn't move any talent for him.

Perhaps he could platoon with Hatte and spell Phillips? his LHP splits weren't good last year, but have been solid in the past.... And later on down the line you could move him or Phillips in a deal to help the club..

Was Wilkerson non tendered today?

westofyou
12-13-2006, 12:14 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5760&PHPSESSID=20a55f3888578784210e581f26e28d12

The Braves were supposed to have traded Marcus Giles by now, but he's still in the fold, and needs to be tendered today. Giles has just about proven that his age-25 season was a fluke (21 homers, .526 SLG), and his declining batting average, power and range—as well as concerns about his level of commitment—have made him a question mark. The Braves have a lot of high-salaried players, and have become penurious in recent seasons. While the decision to non-tender Giles and blow off second base in 2007 would be a poor one, the organization’s unhappiness with him and their desire to keep the payroll manageable may lead exactly to that place.

15fan
12-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Marcus Giles is available? Who'da thunk that?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51621&highlight=Buying+Low+this+Offseason

I'll reiterate that Giles and his wife had a baby last year early in the season (or was it ST?) and it was a less than textbook delivery with some serious complications. In my book, the guy gets a pass for some poor numbers early in the year because his mind was obviously elsewhere. Add in the departure of ground ball machines Maddux and Glavine, and I think that explains a good bit of his struggles.

With Gonzalez in the fold, signing Giles could make Brandon Phillips expendable in the very necessary search for quality pitchers...

BRM
12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
General Manager Kevin Towers said he made a contractual offer yesterday to second baseman Marcus Giles, the former Braves regular who became a free agent on Tuesday night. The proposal is believed to be worth $3 million to $4 million.

The Mets reportedly also are interested in Giles. An executive with another major league club said he wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox also made a play for him, although Giles' brother, Brian Giles, the Padres' right fielder, put Boston on his eight-team, no-trade list.

Marcus Giles, 28, had a $3.85 million salary this year, but the Braves likely would have owed him more than $5 million if they had offered him a contract.

LINK (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061214/news_1s14padnotes.html)