PDA

View Full Version : Reds designate Claussen for assignment

Mainspark
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
From Rotoworld:

Reds designated LHP Brandon Claussen for assignment.

Odd that they'd designate him for assignmenty when they could have just non-tendered him. Claussen isn't going to make much more than the minimum next season, so it'd be a surprise if he made it through waivers, even if he's unlikely to be ready for Opening Day after surgery to repair a small tear in his rotator cuff.

Team Clark
12-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Not surprised. Good move IMO. He's been non commital in the past and although he is a great guy he lacks the competitiveness to be a top flight starter IMO.

Doc. Scott
12-12-2006, 07:26 PM
So will he go to AAA, do you think? Or does some team give him a major-league contract?

Jr's Boy
12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm sure the Nationals will offer him a contract.

redsandrails
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I think this is a very bad move. While he's hurt, he was very effective in 2005. He is a lefty, and maybe could rebound to be a #3-4 starter. He's only 27 too. Given what guys like Eaton and Meche are getting this is a big mistake. Someone will take a flyer on him. We also never really tried him in the pen... that might have been a viable option.

Falls City Beer
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
I imagine his arm is shot. If it's not, then I don't get this move. It's not as though the Reds have any depth if one of their "good" pitchers like Lohse or Milton blows a fuse.

BRM
12-12-2006, 07:46 PM
I imagine his arm is shot. If it's not, then I don't get this move. It's not as though the Reds have any depth if one of their "good" pitchers like Lohse or Milton blows a fuse.

Did you just use "good pitcher" and "Lohse/Milton" in the same sentence? :eek:

:)

Falls City Beer
12-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Did you just use "good pitcher" and "Lohse/Milton" in the same sentence? :eek:

:)

Didn't see the Krispy Kreme glaze of sarcasm all over that baby?

BRM
12-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Didn't see the Krispy Kreme glaze of sarcasm all over that baby?

I did. You're just in denial. We all know you are actually a HUGE Lohse fan. ;)

Chip R
12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I really don't care for this move. If we were going to non-tender someone, I'd have hoped it would have been Lohse. But we release a relatively young left handed starter to make room for an old right handed reliever. Meanwhile Chad Moeller continues to occupy a roster spot. I have nothing against Weathers and I've never been Claussen's biggest fan but this sends the wrong message to me. I hope they can re-sign him to a minor league deal but my guess is that some organization that knows a thing or two about pitching will sign him. He may never fulfill his promise but if that happens, I'd wager he becomes a passable starter. And I bet he would put up similar, if not better, numbers than Lohse at a fraction of the cost. Another one of the previous regime's guys gets the bum's rush.

Falls City Beer
12-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Another one of the previous regime's guys gets the bum's rush.

Zing. Give him a kewpie.

Patrick Bateman
12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
This all depnds on Claussen's health.

If his arm looks good, this move makes little sense as he is one of the few guys who could be a reasonable back of the rotation starter. He had pretty decent success in 2005.

The logical assumption would be that his arm is shot and isn't worth the time and effort to get him back on track. It will be interesting to see if that is the case.

Hopefully he clears waivers and the Reds can hold on to him.

dsmith421
12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I have to assume he's toast.

Because if Krivsky is dumping a guy who's shown major league ability and keeping crap like Bubba Crosby and Chad Moeller on the 40-man roster, then I'm liable to have to clean bits of my head off the walls of my office. Again.

RedLegSuperStar
12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
so let me get this... we will pay Grant Balfor to rehab at or near the minimum but we won't keep a 27 yr old who could benefit being in the pen or as a spot starter a month into the season?

pedro
12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
They must not think he'll pitch this year, if ever.

RFS62
12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Maybe he's overweight.

:all_cohol

Sea Ray
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I can't defend the Chad Moeller decision but with this surgery, Claussen has now had both TJ and rotator cuff surgery. It's not a high percentage move to keep him around. He's already arbitration eligible and gaining service time if he's kept on the major league roster. This is the kind of guy to take a chance on with a minor league contract.

Mainspark
12-12-2006, 08:30 PM
From Lancaster's blog:

Since the first time I spoke to Brandon Claussen, maybe a week after the 2003 trade that brought him to the Reds organization, I've been amazed at his unwavering demeanor. The guy can put a positive spin on anything, and it never feels insincere. So it wasn't too much of a surprise that Claussen all but shrugged off being sent into the baseball wilderness today.

The Reds will non-tender him, and he said there has been no discussion with the team about returning.

"Itís a part of life," he said. "By no means does anyone want to get fired, but itís something that happens on a daily basis. I understand where theyíre coming from. Theyíre a team thatís on the move and needs to make decisions and this is one of them. I support it."

Claussen said he's about two weeks away from throwing again as he continues his rehab from the shoulder surgery that ended his 2006 season.

"Iím not going to rush anything," he said. "Wherever I go, Iíll make it apparent that I want to make sure that when Iím pitching, Iím completely healthy. Iím not going to go out and try to make the team (while pitching) hurt. Iíd just be right back here next year."

In other non-tender news, the Braves gave up on Chris Reitsma.

RFS62
12-12-2006, 08:31 PM

Oh Princeton.... paging Dr. Princeton.....

Falls City Beer
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
From Lancaster's blog:

Since the first time I spoke to Brandon Claussen, maybe a week after the 2003 trade that brought him to the Reds organization, I've been amazed at his unwavering demeanor. The guy can put a positive spin on anything, and it never feels insincere. So it wasn't too much of a surprise that Claussen all but shrugged off being sent into the baseball wilderness today.

The Reds will non-tender him, and he said there has been no discussion with the team about returning.

"Itís a part of life," he said. "By no means does anyone want to get fired, but itís something that happens on a daily basis. I understand where theyíre coming from. Theyíre a team thatís on the move and needs to make decisions and this is one of them. I support it."

Claussen said he's about two weeks away from throwing again as he continues his rehab from the shoulder surgery that ended his 2006 season.

"Iím not going to rush anything," he said. "Wherever I go, Iíll make it apparent that I want to make sure that when Iím pitching, Iím completely healthy. Iím not going to go out and try to make the team (while pitching) hurt. Iíd just be right back here next year."

Brandon said the Reds are "on the move." :laugh:

Thanks, Brandon. That was a healthy parting shot, whether you intended it or not. I appreciate the laugh.

Team Clark
12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I really don't care for this move. If we were going to non-tender someone, I'd have hoped it would have been Lohse. But we release a relatively young left handed starter to make room for an old right handed reliever. Meanwhile Chad Moeller continues to occupy a roster spot. I have nothing against Weathers and I've never been Claussen's biggest fan but this sends the wrong message to me. I hope they can re-sign him to a minor league deal but my guess is that some organization that knows a thing or two about pitching will sign him. He may never fulfill his promise but if that happens, I'd wager he becomes a passable starter. And I bet he would put up similar, if not better, numbers than Lohse at a fraction of the cost. Another one of the previous regime's guys gets the bum's rush.

It's sad that Moeller is taking up a roster spot I agree. If you think about it Moeller took Weather's spot. You and I usually agree on most things.

The only thing I can disagree with here is the notion that Claussen would post similar if not better numbers than Lohse. In my opinion, based in part on some of Claussen's comments, I really don't think Claussen cares whether or not he gets to pitch in the Big Leagues again. If it works out great. If not... Oh Well. All is Hunky Dory. I would have a problem putting someone who lacks that intestinal fortitude on the mound. Not to mention that when he is healthy he is really not that effective. He gets himself in a lot of trouble on the mound and is usually at or past 100 pitches in the 5th. I'll pass.

There is no question that Brandon is a TOP NOTCH person. Many of us, and most certainly myself, could take a page from his book. When it comes to winning and losing ball games I'll take Lohse over Claussen any day. Don't get me wrong, I do not think Lohse walks on water. This guy has electric stuff but he needs to get his @#@ in gear and pitch consistently. Claussen has had plenty of opportunity in my book to show he can PITCH. I just never saw it on a consistent basis. Lohse isn't far behind.

Gallen5862
12-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I think he will probably clear waivers and the Reds will assign him to AAA. If he had been tendered he would have gone to arbitration. This way the Reds can sign him to a minor league deal.

JaxRed
12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
If you non-tender him, he becomes a FA. By DFA, the Reds clear the roster spot for Weathers, and they either find he has a little value and trade him, or take a chance on him making it thru waivers thus keeping him.

WVRedsFan
12-13-2006, 12:40 AM
I guess this means the Aaron Boone trade went for naught--in all ways. Ain't that a crock?

Brandon Claussen, the Yankees' top pitching prospect never panned out over here, but showed promise in 2005. He was hurt all of last year and showed it. We go to the expense of his surgery and then DFA him. In the meantime, we keep more trash on our roster than is at the city dump, including several pitchers.

But I do think, like TCII, that when Brandon pitched I saw a lack of that bulldog attitude that a good pitcher needs. Even so, i'd liked to have kept him around to see if he made it back and not pay Lohse whatever he's going to get. JMO. And if anyone should have been DFA'd, I'd vote for...nah, I'll leave that one alone.

dsmith421
12-13-2006, 01:21 AM
I guess this means the Aaron Boone trade went for naught--in all ways.

I'm guessing the Yanks would consider the trade worthwhile, if only because of this:

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/images/aaron-boone-home-run-2003.jpg

It wasn't much from our end, though.

Wheelhouse
12-13-2006, 05:39 AM
I'm sure the Nationals will offer him a contract.

Yeah--it's really a contest to see how bitter JimBo can be. What a pathetic little man is in charge of that team.

mth123
12-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah--it's really a contest to see how bitter JimBo can be. What a pathetic little man is in charge of that team.

I don't get the tie in with Claussen and Jimbo. Wasn't Claussen acquired by the tandem GMs after Jimbo was fired?

Jpup
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't get the tie in with Claussen and Jimbo. Wasn't Claussen acquired by the tandem GMs after Jimbo was fired?

yes, what a dynamic duo.

Kc61
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
I think the Boone for Claussen trade was great for Reds fans. This is because the Reds are never in the playoffs. So Reds fans got some excitement watching one of their former favorites, A Boone, hit a historic home run for the Yankees.

That's the way I feel anyway.

Claussen looked ok until he got hurt. My guess is that he will wind up back with the Reds in AAA, but who knows.

Johnny Footstool
12-13-2006, 10:26 AM

The only connection is that Bowden=devil in some people's minds. They envision him as some sort of villain in a black top hat, cape, curly mustache, and leather pants -- the sort of guy who is so bitter about being fired from the Reds that he wants to collect any and all Reds players he can.

In reality, he's probably moved on. So should we.

TRF
12-13-2006, 10:35 AM
DFA is a better move than non-tender.

However, what the heck was the deal with Grant Balfour? The reds pay for his rehab and off he goes? But they want no part of a talented LH starter?

Maybe his arm is toast. DFA COULD keep him in the organization, especially doing it now. Might send the message that he's too hurt to contribute. I'm not totally against this move. I would have been if it was a non-tender.

This narrows the 5th starter to Belisle/EZ/Dumatrait with Bailey being a tremendous longshot.

Danny Serafini
12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Let's not forget picking up Balfour was a DanO move, not Krivsky.