PDA

View Full Version : TV 5 sports said...

redsfan4445
12-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Sources are saying reds going to offer Reitsma a contract!

Edd Roush
12-13-2006, 12:44 AM
If this deal goes down, it's another low risk deal that could potentially help the big club. Reitsma isn't going to command a high salary and could add to the depth of the bullpen. I like it.

redsfan4445
12-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I agree.. i never understood him being traded anyway by the last regime!!

corkedbat
12-13-2006, 12:48 AM
If his elbow passes muster it's not a bad risk. I wonder how much velocity he'll have left though?

TOBTTReds
12-13-2006, 01:15 AM
If his elbow passes muster it's not a bad risk. I wonder how much velocity he'll have left though?

I like the changeup either way, as long as it isn't Chris Hammond style.

geniusMoment
12-13-2006, 03:43 AM
Pass.

My friends down in Atlanta despised Chris, he was considered their Eric Milton. He earned the nickname "gas can" from call-in shows, which is a really bad nickname for a relief pitcher.

Ravenlord
12-13-2006, 04:12 AM
low-risk, medium reward.

i like the concept.

Jpup
12-13-2006, 04:23 AM
i'll wait until I see the offer before I decide on if I would like it. Anything other than a minor league deal is a waste of money until he proves he can still pitch at a major league level.

RANDY IN INDY
12-13-2006, 08:49 AM
More dumpster crabbing. I always liked Reitsma, but his arm may be gone.

RFS62
12-13-2006, 08:55 AM
He drove Atlanta fans (both of them) crazy.

I'll always like him for that.

Team Clark
12-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Pass.

My friends down in Atlanta despised Chris, he was considered their Eric Milton. He earned the nickname "gas can" from call-in shows, which is a really bad nickname for a relief pitcher.

Ahhhh memories of Hector Carrasco. He was affectionately known as "Sunoco". Always pouring gas on the fire.

UK Reds Fan
12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
He threw up ERA of
4.07 2004
3.93 2005
8.68 2006

Last year was an injury riddled failure, but the previous seasons look fine to me. If the guy can pass a physical, what is there to hurt in a 500k contract for 1 year. Better than what we threw out there last year for the most part if healthy.

edabbs44
12-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe the #5 starter will be mix and matching of relievers...I think WK has been scarred for life in his first gig as a GM. How many bullpen arms are needed? Personally, I'd rather have Reitsma than spending $5 million on Mercker or Weathers. Depending on the $, of course.

deltachi8
12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
pass, this team has enough average to below average middle relievers.

RFS62
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
We need to get Catch22 in here to give us some insight on Chris' condition.

RedLegSuperStar
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
:lastyear:

:bang:

Falls City Beer
12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
If true, just shoot me. This team is awful.

Just get the firesale underway. Please. Don't insult us fans. Just take the plunge.

Don't crap in my hand and call it a sundae.

redsfanmia
12-13-2006, 10:26 AM
If true, just shoot me. This team is awful.

Just get the firesale underway. Please. Don't insult us fans. Just take the plunge.

Don't crap in my hand and call it a sundae.

I agree why fill the team with old has beens. Maybe this is what Cast meant when he said we would be players in the free agent market. By the way never heard dont crap in my and and call it a sundae, I like it!!!!!!!

Patpacillosjock
12-13-2006, 11:52 AM
:lastyear:

:bang:

agreed.

Once again, we're getting another mediocre-to below average bullpen arm with a lot of questions. I keep asking in all of my posts for someone who is a WK supporter to please help me understand why you are not angry? Why do you defend him? I'd like to hear a logical argument. I actually, genuinely, mean it.

And don't use the excuse of "there are 4 months left before spring training" because its obvious that there isnt going to be much available in the next few months. All of the valued free agents and tradeable assets on other teams are almost all gone.

So defend what WK HAS DONE, not what he COULD DO with the time he has left before the season. I ask this sincerely.

Im tired of always being negative so please someone change my opinon...for at least a day.

George Anderson
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
agreed.

Once again, we're getting another mediocre-to below average bullpen arm with a lot of questions. I keep asking in all of my posts for someone who is a WK supporter to please help me understand why you are not angry? Why do you defend him? I'd like to hear a logical argument. I actually, genuinely, mean it.

And don't use the excuse of "there are 4 months left before spring training" because its obvious that there isnt going to be much available in the next few months. All of the valued free agents and tradeable assets on other teams are almost all gone.

So defend what WK HAS DONE, not what he COULD DO with the time he has left before the season. I ask this sincerely.

Im tired of always being negative so please someone change my opinon...for at least a day.

I am a wait and see guy with WK but so far I like what he has done. He has done way more good than bad for this franchise.

I guess why I am not to upset or worried about the Reds is similar to the way I feel about my hometown team the Indianapolis Colts. Bill Polian to me is an absolute genius as the Colts G.M. (I know things werent good last week) but the guy since he has taken over has made the right draft picks and acquisitions over the past 8 or so years to the point myself and others dont question his judgement. A perfect example is the Colts lost Edgerrin James this past offseason and alot of people thought we were doomed in the running game. Poilian being the genius that he is found a Gem in Joseph Addai late in the draft.

I guess my point is if WK had screwed up royally in the past I would be really worrying. Granted he has only one year under his belt but for all intensive purposes I felt he did a very good job considering the circumstances he was in.

Till WK gives me reason to doubt his judgement then I am not gonna worry to much.

KoryMac5
12-13-2006, 12:57 PM
agreed.

I don't believe anything till the ink is dry. Our bullpen looks pretty full to me and I don't believe that Wayne will sign Chris and than trade another arm. Do not confuse being negative with being realistic, welcome to baseball 2006-2007 a magical place where Juan Pierre and Mathews Jr can make 50+ million dollars. A place where JD Drew who hasn't played a full season is worth 70 million and Andy Pettite who got a cortisone shot (see Maj) for a bumb arm at the end of last season got 16 million with an option. Christmas, Marquis and Meche are in the Milton money stratosphere. Lets face it who ever said Bob bought a baseball team without fully figuring out how much it would cost is right. Reality is we are a mom and pop store surrounded by Walmart's.

Falls City Beer
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Seriously: this "big contracts are hampering Wayne" excuse really needs to go by the boards. It's tired. It's bankrupt. Wayne is not in the least hampered by the fact that other teams are giving out ridiculous contracts. That's just plain old excuse-making.

KoryMac5
12-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Seriously: this "big contracts are hampering Wayne" excuse really needs to go by the boards. It's tired. It's bankrupt. Wayne is not in the least hampered by the fact that other teams are giving out ridiculous contracts. That's just plain old excuse-making.

By your logic Griffey and Milton's contracts are looking pretty cheap right now. I do believe it is a valid point to look at the ownership of this organization and wonder where the money is? We have to face facts that Bob really underestimated the rise in costs from when he bought the club to now. The real question needs to be asked does Wayne have the resources and if he does, is he not spending it?

savafan
12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
We have to face facts that Bob really underestimated the rise in costs from when he bought the club to now.

I don't buy that. Castellini's been involved in baseball for a long time, I have to believe he knew what he was getting into.

KoryMac5
12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't buy that. Castellini's been involved in baseball for a long time, I have to believe he knew what he was getting into.

You may be right, I may be crazy but I really think the market is cyclical salaries shoot up one year and than level off for a year or two. I don't think any owner in his right mind could have forseen some of the dollars being thrown at guys this year. Like I stated earlier it makes Milton and Griffey look like bargains.

Shaggy Sanchez
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Isn't it true that every MLB team got a lot of money from the new TV deals and the collective bargaining agreements? I keep hearing that these are the reasons that teams are spending so much money this offseason.

Well my question then would be were the Reds left out for some odd reason, did they make somone mad and not get a peice of the pie. Castellini knew what he was getting into when he bought this team, guys that get where he is don't do it without knowing everyting he can about the situation at hand. People can say all they want about us being a small market team but I don't buy it, if the Reds wanted to go out and spen the money on Zito and Soriano they could have. The Reds once spent 100 million on Griffey, were we not a small market team when that happened? There is plenty of money that can be spent and the Reds aren't spending it, simple as that.

KoryMac5
12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Which gets us back to the question at hand if we have the resources why are we not spending the money on players? Is it Wayne, John Allen, or Bob himself who won't pull the trigger. Or is it we can't get free agents to come here without overpaying (see Milton).

TheWalls
12-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Same as the majority of the rest of the Reds pen! :thumbdown

Matt700wlw
12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to it.....he should never have been traded anyway.

I don't think it's a move that's going to make people run to the ticket office, however.

BRM
12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't think it's a move that's going to make people run to the ticket office, however.

The FO hasn't made any moves yet this offseason that will make people run to the ticket office. Hopefully they will soon.

Dracodave
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Riestma wont make me buy tickets.

A decent starting rotation outside of Harrang/Arroyo and a decent offense to keep us in the games when Milton/Loshe are pitching will make me buy tickets.

All in all, a team that has a chance to do something outside of "well, theres always next year!"

AdamDunn
12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Just don't give him over $750,000 and I'll be happy... it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Always Red
12-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey you can look at this way- Sean Casey will finally be happy that Rietsma's back with the Reds...

Caveman Techie
12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Economics 101

If teams are willing to set the market price for sub-par/Iffy pitching, then Wayne has to deal within that market.

You may choose to believe that the Reds have more resources then what they have spent so far and I may agree with you there, but don't try to pretend that all the ridiculous contracts that have been given out don't affect the market.

gm
12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Bring back Reitsma's "Bugs Bunny" changeup! (but don't let Chris pitch more than once around anyone's batting order...)

Red in Atl
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Pass.

Agreed. I'm in Atlanta and went to quite a few games last year. They despise his ass down here. He was awful, so many times. It was kind of like watching Cormier or Coffey (as closer) come in knowing they would give up a bomb.

It was great for me, but I can't take any more of these guys in Cincy. Not with my XM Radio. It's just too painful.

jmac
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
i just dont understand really what wayne's way is.

I mean we get an all-star team in tv and radio. By that...i mean big names.
but so far nothing major unless you call alex gonzalez "major".
Going into off-season i thought with a few simple moves reds could compete in a not so tough division.

1: get or sign a good starter ...hopefully at least a #3
2: bring in some RH pop for lineup
3: bring aboard a closer ......this to me was the least important of the 3

for future :

4: sign harang to be a red for quite awhile.

right now i would settle for #'s ...1,2, and 4

while we dont know what is going on behind closed doors....so far none have been addressed. At least i should say , none of mine have been addressed!

At this current pace , it just seems to be hard for me visualizing "tom and jeff" talking about a phillips-ross-gonzalez batting order with bubba crosby in the on-deck circle to pinch hit.
of course i guess it is "early" in the off-season, right?
please say it is........i'm waiting........

deltachi8
12-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Hey you can look at this way- Sean Casey will finally be happy that Rietsma's back with the Reds...

I say make Sean extra happy and let Reitsma sign in Detroit.

The_jbh
12-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Why not give him a shot? he was atlanta's closer until he got hurt... im definately not against throwing under a mil at him...

cincyinco
12-14-2006, 03:42 PM
He drove Atlanta fans (both of them) crazy.

I'll always like him for that.

I dont know about anyone else, but he always drove me crazy during his tenure here with the Reds...

I never understood all the crying over Bubba and Bong...

And while I wouldn't exactly mind having him back at this stage of the game, he's not a guy I'll be getting giddy about. Guy is a headcase, and just never had "it" IMO.

I laughed hysterically when people advocated him for the closer role..

camisadelgolf
12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Last night, I heard that Reitsma was interested in signing with three different teams, and the Reds were one of them. If he's willing to come here for cheap, I don't see how you could pass on him. I mean, pitchers with some history of sucess will always have value, no matter how bad they are now. And if he turns out to be an average reliever, he'll be worth a lot more than his paycheck.

TRF
12-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Last night, I heard that Reitsma was interested in signing with three different teams, and the Reds were one of them. If he's willing to come here for cheap, I don't see how you could pass on him. I mean, pitchers with some history of sucess will always have value, no matter how bad they are now. And if he turns out to be an average reliever, he'll be worth a lot more than his paycheck.

GAH!

This part kills me.

pitchers with some history of sucess will always have value, no matter how bad they are now.

So after Jimmy Haynes fluke season, you'd have signed him to another contract?

Reitsma is "pheh" releiver that couldn't cut it as a starter. He doesn't have the stuff to close, and quite frankly isn't better than a single releiver the Reds have now.

And that's really not a compliment to the reds staff either.

Catch22
12-14-2006, 10:49 PM
We need to get Catch22 in here to give us some insight on Chris' condition.

Ask and ye shall receive :)

Chris' arm is fine and will be ready for next season. His surgery was not structural, more electrical. He had some nerves rearranged and found out that he is one of the 0.00001% of the population that has an extra muscle in his forearm. That extra muscle was pinching a nerve in his arm and causing it to go numb when he threw - not a good recipe for a pitcher. According to him the surgery was a success and he has 100% better feel than he did last year.

He said he has had calls from seven teams as of yesterday. I have seen in the paper that the Yankees, Marlins, T-Bay, Rockies on the Red Sox are snooping, I also imagine that the Braves would come in also. I had not heard if the Reds came knocking but I'll ask him tomorrow. I'm playing poker with him tomorrow night.

deltachi8
12-14-2006, 11:08 PM
What TRF said...

RFS62
12-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Ask and ye shall receive :)

Chris' arm is fine and will be ready for next season. His surgery was not structural, more electrical. He had some nerves rearranged and found out that he is one of the 0.00001% of the population that has an extra muscle in his forearm. That extra muscle was pinching a nerve in his arm and causing it to go numb when he threw - not a good recipe for a pitcher. According to him the surgery was a success and he has 100% better feel than he did last year.

He said he has had calls from seven teams as of yesterday. I have seen in the paper that the Yankees, Marlins, T-Bay, Rockies on the Red Sox are snooping, I also imagine that the Braves would come in also. I had not heard if the Reds came knocking but I'll ask him tomorrow. I'm playing poker with him tomorrow night.

Thanks Catch22.

Hang around with us some, eh?

:beerme:

camisadelgolf
12-15-2006, 12:42 PM
GAH!

This part kills me.

So after Jimmy Haynes fluke season, you'd have signed him to another contract?

Reitsma is "pheh" releiver that couldn't cut it as a starter. He doesn't have the stuff to close, and quite frankly isn't better than a single releiver the Reds have now.

And that's really not a compliment to the reds staff either.

Well, I wouldn't sign him to a long-term contract or anything, but for one year, if the price is right, I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, trade or release him. If it does work out, you've got production for cheap. A lot of times, it's the under-paid guys who give you the most effort because they have something to prove.

TRF
12-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Well, I wouldn't sign him to a long-term contract or anything, but for one year, if the price is right, I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, trade or release him. If it does work out, you've got production for cheap. A lot of times, it's the under-paid guys who give you the most effort because they have something to prove.

I wouldn't have signed him again. I'd have offered him Arb in the hopes someone else was fooled by that fluke year.

I'm all for signing guys with something to prove. Tim Hudson has something to prove. And I think the Reds should make inquiries about him.

I think Reitsma is a nice guy, with a great history. He's overcome a lot. But the truth is, he's not got a lot of stuff. He has a terrific change up, but a so-so FB. He gets flustered on the mound. He gives up a lot of runs, especially if the defense makes an error behind him. He did that a lot with the Reds.

He's kind of like a RH Dennys Reyes, historically speaking. Not good enough to start, not bad enough out of the pen to DFA. Well at least until now. CR is DFA'd and Reyes was the best reliever on the Twins staff.

Now, Big Sweat, Him I'd try to get.

camisadelgolf
12-15-2006, 03:25 PM
So you're comparing him to the best reliever on the Twins' staff and saying you wouldn't sign him for cheap?

TRF
12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm saying Reyes has progressed and Reitsma has regressed. But at one time they were pretty comparable. I was a huge fan of Reyes, and clamored for him to start the way some people wanted Reitsma to start. In fact neither is cut out for it. But Reyes has really improved as a pitcher, and Reitsma hasn't. I wasn't too clear about that part.

camisadelgolf
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Reyes regressed before he progressed. Reitsma has already regressed. Wouldn't it make sense to get him as he progresses? I confess I need a recess from this mess. But I digress . . .

savafan
12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Reyes regressed before he progressed. Reitsma has already regressed. Wouldn't it make sense to get him as he progresses? I confess I need a recess from this mess. But I digress . . .

This post did nothing to impress. ;)

TRF
12-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Reitsma progressed under the previous Braves pitching coach and has now regressed. His distressed muscle impressed the need for surgery. That he had to have surgery on the muscle that for 99.99999% of the population doesn't even exist is... well... weird.

RANDY IN INDY
12-15-2006, 08:47 PM
This post did nothing to impress. ;)

More is sometimes...............................less.

savafan
12-15-2006, 08:52 PM
More is sometimes...............................less.

I think my laughter I will suppress.

Raisor
12-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Would anyone care if Chris wasn't an ex-Red?

savafan
12-16-2006, 02:52 PM
The Marlins have reached out to the agent for free-agent reliever Chris Reitsma.
If the Marlins can't land Armando Benitez, perhaps Reitsma will get a chance to close in Florida next season. Also interested in Reitsma are the Yankees, Phillies and Royals, among others. The Braves, too, would like to re-sign him.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Catch22
12-16-2006, 04:50 PM
The Marlins have reached out to the agent for free-agent reliever Chris Reitsma.
If the Marlins can't land Armando Benitez, perhaps Reitsma will get a chance to close in Florida next season. Also interested in Reitsma are the Yankees, Phillies and Royals, among others. The Braves, too, would like to re-sign him.

The list of teams looking at Chris right now does include the teams above and also several others. The Reds are one of those teams. The numbers being bandied about are fair for a releiver with his experience and for one coming off of surgery. He has alot of things to weigh, and options to choose from. Could be interesting to see where the chips fall.

Ohh...and i kicked his ass in poker last night :D

savafan
12-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Per Rotoworld:

Free agent Chris Reitsma has offers on the table from six teams.
The Marlins aren't one of them, though they were one of the first team to express interest after he was non-tendered by the Braves. "The situation is not closed yet, but we're down the road with at least two or three teams," agent Mike Paolercio said. "We've had several different kinds of offers. We're considering two or three one-year deals and two or three multi-year situations. Each one of them offers different advantages and disadvantages."