PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Hotel Chain or Type

Ltlabner
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Here's a weird one. When you travel, what chain or type of hotels do you like to stay in?

Personally, I enjoy the "business travel" type hotels such as Holliday Inn Express. Simple, geared towards business travel, free internet, breakfast of sorts, sometimes happy hour receptions.

I also enjoy the upscale "fancy" hotels such as the Hyatts and Crowne Plaza hotels found in most cities. Beds are much softer, rooms have the same stuff but in much better condition, better service, etc.

My two all-time favorite hotels are the Crown Plaza-Union Station in Indy and the Pfister in Milwaukee.

Anyway, do you like chains, dumps, motor-inns, bed and breakfasts, or what?

remdog
12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Obviously I'm a bit biased but Marriott lets me stay where ever I want and location sometimes dictates other hotel chains:

Upper tier: W Hotels, JW Marriott

Full service: Marriott, Westin, some Sheratons, some Hyatts

Extended stay: Residence Inn, Summerfield Suites

Business: Courtyard, Four Points

Time share: Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton/Westin Vacation Ownership, Hyatt Vacation Ownership

Personal favorites to stay in the areas I cover: Highlands Inn, Carmel CA, JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Scottsdale, AZ, Westin, Palo Alto, CA, Renaissance, Walnut Creek, CA, W, San Diego, CA, W, Silicon Valley, CA, Marriott, San Jose, CA.

The reason that I mention the various time share properties is that you can often get some very good off-season rates if business calls for you to travel to that location. For instance, this summer you could have gotten a 2BR, 2 BA, full kitchen 1300 sq. ft. villa at Marriott's Shadow Ridge for about $179.00 per night. Yeah, it's hot but if business calls....and every villa has a golf course view and you have access to a Nick Faldo designed course (36 holes), Shadow Ridge, along with the Nick Faldo Institute on property. Many of the various time share properties are like this so, if you have to travel to an area in the off-season, check the various chains' websites for their time share properties. Sometimes you can get an exceptional deal.

Rem

Red in Chicago
12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
in cincy, i'm a hyatt guy, but it really depends upon the city as to where i'll stay...even the big chains don't have the consistancy that you should expect regarding cleanliness...

Yachtzee
12-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I generally use Hotwire to see if I can't snag something three stars and up for a good price. I've been able to get good deals staying at Crowne Plazas, Westins, Hiltons, the Hyatt and the Millenium in Cincinnati. I used to love Courtyards when you could book a room for $57 a night, but now it seems like you can't stay there for less that $149 anymore. I've found that quality at some national chains, like Holiday Inn and Marriott can vary from location to location. The La Quinta I stayed at in Tampa was nice. I will not stay in an Econolodge (Stay at the one in Newport, KY and you'll know why), Motel 6 or Super 8.

Chip R
12-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Why, Red Roof Inn, of course. I mean, how low can you go? Those deals are hot! And of course, there's Multitasking. ;)

RBA
12-13-2006, 08:44 PM
When the Government/Taxpayer is picking up the tab, I usually look for a Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Hawthorne Suite, Homewood Suite. I get a fridge, microwave, etc. Also, I like the free hot breakfast and the manager's reception in the late afternoon. Also, the best breakfast is the Embassy Suites, where they cook omelets/eggs to order. Tip: Join each of the hotel rewards club and they sometimes provide a little extra.

RBA
12-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Or the Newport Travelodge if I only need the room for 20-50 minutes. ;)

remdog
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
You're right RBA. Always join each chain's 'club'. A lot of times even a small amount of points will get you a free upgrade, movie, dessert with dinner, etc. Recently, I've been thinking of a trip to Australia 'cause I have enough points with Starwood to cover 15 days free----and I work for Marriott! :laugh:

Rem

Caseyfan21
12-13-2006, 10:12 PM
I usually will stay where ever I can get the cheapest room because it's usually friends and I on road trips. However, when traveling with family we usually stay at Microtels. They are usually among the cheapest and most of the hotels are new and well kept. Best deal for the money. When I've been able to travel on someone else's budget I'll usually stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Usually a reasonable room and a step up from the cheaper chains.

Caseyfan21
12-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Also, the best breakfast is the Embassy Suites, where they cook omelets/eggs to order.

I support this 100%. I was doing some volunteer work in Indianapolis last month and got put up at the Embassy Suite. Unbelievable, the breakfast was the best free breakfast I've ever had. They had the omletes along with tons of different hot buffet options.

BoydsOfSummer
12-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Hobo camps are handy if not comfortable.

WVRed
12-13-2006, 10:48 PM
When the Government/Taxpayer is picking up the tab, I usually look for a Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Hawthorne Suite, Homewood Suite. I get a fridge, microwave, etc. Also, I like the free hot breakfast and the manager's reception in the late afternoon. Also, the best breakfast is the Embassy Suites, where they cook omelets/eggs to order. Tip: Join each of the hotel rewards club and they sometimes provide a little extra.

Ever tried Amerisuites? I stayed at one outside of Washington DC and the breakfast was great.

Hampton Inn is probably my personal preference on vacation.

Blimpie
12-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I stay about 30 nights per year at various Hampton Inn properties. For the money, they cannot be beat with their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

dman
12-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Being a military member, my family and I love staying at Shades of Green resort on Walt Disney World. With me being an E-5, it only costs us $76 per night to stay there and this place is a resort easily as comparable to Disney's high dollar resorts.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2006, 07:39 AM
When vacationing with the family, we've had good luck with Hampton Inns as well.

Business travel, I do Marriotts (Courtyard Inn, Residence Inn, regular Marriotts), Crowne Plaza, and Embassy Suites. I put on 5 lbs. my last stay at an Embassy Suites from the breakfasts.

TeamCasey
12-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I just stayed at an awesome Courtyard by Marriott in Mt. Arlington, N.J. The rooms were set-up so logically and comfortably. A real couch in the room!

I like Embassy Suites, Residence Inns. I prefer places with a fridge in the room and someplace to grab a quick breakfast. My meetings are usually early. I love coffee makers in the room ...... but they use the crappiest coffee. When I travel alone, I often get carry-out and spend my free time at the hotel.

My least favorite hotel that I stay in most often is a Comfort Inn. I stay there because it's close to the place that I do business.

12-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I generally use Hotwire to see if I can't snag something three stars and up for a good price. I've been able to get good deals staying at Crowne Plazas, Westins, Hiltons, the Hyatt and the Millenium in Cincinnati. I used to love Courtyards when you could book a room for $57 a night, but now it seems like you can't stay there for less that $149 anymore. I've found that quality at some national chains, like Holiday Inn and Marriott can vary from location to location. The La Quinta I stayed at in Tampa was nice. I will not stay in an Econolodge (Stay at the one in Newport, KY and you'll know why), Motel 6 or Super 8.

We used to get the Courtyard by Marriott in Covington consistently for 40 dollars on Priceline, then In 2004 it seemed to become impossible.

minus5
12-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Embassy Suites rocks! Not just a great breakfast BUT most of them have a happy hour with free cocktails from 7-9 :beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
12-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Hampton Inn's have been good for me when having to travel, and not wanting to spend an arm and a leg.

RFS62
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Wingate Inns is another good one, on par with Hampton.

RedsBaron
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Hampton Inn is my favorite when travelling.

deltachi8
12-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Where ever priceline puts me. Never actually had a bad expereince this way (I do my research so have a good idea what I am in for) and it has saved me a bunch of $$.

I tend to stay at Choice branded hotels outside of priceline as I have their credit card and accumulate free stay points.

westofyou
12-14-2006, 01:18 PM
I like boutique hotels myself, ones downtown and with a sense of history. everything else is just a bed.

Willy
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm really not loyal to one chain, but the best hotel I ever stayed in my life was the W on Lakeshore drive in Chicago. My best friend and I took a trip to Chicago two years ago(Cubs sunday night game and the Arlington Million), and he had a ton of points to use so we splurged one night. This place was awesome, even had your room # in the carpet in front of your door. Very swank!

The crazy thing was, the night before we stayed in a Motel 6, and I honestly scaried for my life.

What a weekend that was.:beerme: