PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
12-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-13-06. Tom Gamble was the host tonight at 5th 3rd Arena. It was an abbreviated show tonight because of the Crosstown Shootout. Tom said Marc Lancaster will join him and said that Marc is leaving the Post and will be covering the Devil Rays for the Tampa Tribune. :( Tom mentioned the re-signing of David Weathers. Tom said that it was a strange season for Weathers. He didn't pitch well at the beginning of the year but was unscored upon in 29 of the last 32 times he pitched. He also said Brandon Claussen was designated for assignment to make room for Weathers.

After commercial Tom said that teams in the
Reds division have spent millions of dollars to acquire players and Reds fans are concerned that the Cubs, Cards and Astros are spending money while the Reds aren't. Tom is concerned with what the Reds haven't done to improve themselves. He then talked about the Josh Hamilton acquisition. Tom said that it might be worth a shot but it isn't much of a shot. Marc then joined Tom who asked him if he was more excited about Weathers coming back or the Chad Moeller signing. :lol: Marc said the Weathers signing was a good deal and Moeller is filling a spot. Marc said this may be what we are looking at unless there's a trade. Tom said the money being sent is insane but how are you going to compete when everybody else is spending big bucks. Marc said that is the kind of mentality that got Eric Milton here and Gil Meche to K.C. Marc said there are ways to make the team better without doing something stupid like that and about the only thing they can do is make trades.

After commercial Tom congratulated Marc on the Tampa gig and teased him about being used to covering a losing team. Marc said they are a young team that has some prospects. Tom said that the Gonzo signing didn't seem like that big of a deal to fans who are in fantasy baseball mode but it gies the Reds a solid middle of the infield defense. Marc said that he read in the Boston Globe that at the Julio Lugo press conference the Red Sox had to announce his signing, Lugo was asked how he would fill Gonzo's shoes. Marc said that Bronson said at RedsFest that Gonzo was one of the best defensive players you'll ever see. Marc said there will be a lot more ground covered with Gonzo and Phillips and both have great arms. Tom said that the most disturbing thing from a fan's perspective is that with all the moves they made last year to strengthen the bullpen, they had to go out and sign Mike Stanton. Marc said that they didn't expect Guardado to blow his arm out. (Yeah, that was a shocker) Tom said that they knew when they got him he wasn't 100%. Marc said that was true but it happened and you have to move on. He said Schoeneweis didn't want to come back and that's what happens when you get those rental players. Tom said the most troubling thing to fans was that the teams that have been most active are in the NL Central. Tom said he didn't think the Cubs were that much better and Marc agreed. Marc said that they have built that franchise for the last 5 years around Prior and Wood and both have been hurt a lot. Tom asked Marc if he thought the Reds would make a deal and if they did was Dunn the most likely candidate to be traded. Marc said that Dunn would get you the biggest return but there is a question as to what his value is. Some organizations value him differently than others. Marc said that Freel has some value and a lot of teams like him. Tom asked Marc if the Hamilton deal was a good risk. Marc said they didn't risk much. The people in Tampa say that despite his problems, he's a good kid but he's going to struggle with that addiction. Tom said that a good thing is that Narron knows him and believes he can make a difference. Marc agrees and it makes the Reds more confident that Hamilton can succeed. Tom asked Marc who would win more games, the Reds or the Rays. Marc said the Reds since the Rays are going against the Jays, Sox and Yanks so many times. Tom asked if Jr. would be in CF on Opening Day. Marc said that Jr. would move in a heartbeat if they brought in an established CFer. He thinks Wayne does have something up his sleeve in regards to making a deal. Tom asked if the Reds would be better in 2007 than they were in 2006. Marc said no but they have a chance if Milton's healthy and Lohse is more consistent and they can score more runs.

I won't be posting this until the Jan. 3 show as I will be going on vacation a week from today.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 12-13-06. So let it be written. S let it be done.

Willy
12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Chip, and have fun on vacation!!

Phhhl
12-13-2006, 09:35 PM
I cannot stand Tom Gamble's smart alec, glib insults pointed at just about everything and everyone he comments about. I never dreamed Fuhrman's exit would result in that idiot's promotion. They really need to consider using the full roster of Reds broadcasters for this show and forget about Gamble.

That said, thanks for the recap. Good job :).

Matt700wlw
12-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Usually it's Marty...but he was at the Shootout.

Caseyfan21
12-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I hadn't heard Marc was leaving. I never read the Cincinnati newspapers so from that perspective it's not a big deal but I check his blog a lot and enjoy the bits he took the time to post. I will miss having that blog to confirm rumors and get perspectives that aren't possible in day to day newspaper stories.

cincy09
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks Chip......

Too bad about Marc, he will be greatly missed

tripleaaaron
12-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Tom asked if the Reds would be better in 2007 than they were in 2006. Marc said no but they have a chance if Milton's healthy and Lohse is more consistent and they can score more runs.

Wow thanks for the insight Marc, if pitching is consistent and we can score more runs we will be better! Lets do it!