PDA

View Full Version : Nats trade Vidro to Mariners

Falls City Beer
12-13-2006, 11:38 PM
for prospects OF Chris Snelling and RHP Emiliano Fruto.

New owners. Salary dumps.

Connect the dots.

Heath
12-13-2006, 11:41 PM
When I was in a NL-only Fantasy league, I always ended up with this guy.

I hope he does well.

Patrick Bateman
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Great trade for the Nats, dump $12M worth of useless salary and get a little in return.

Chip R
12-14-2006, 12:11 AM
JimBo's gotta feel like he's an extra in the remake of Groundhog Day

blumj
12-14-2006, 12:14 AM
What the hell is wrong with Bavasi? It's like he makes moves just to keep busy.

Wheelhouse
12-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Good trade for The Dirtbag.

ramp101
12-14-2006, 02:20 AM
What the hell is wrong with Bavasi? It's like he makes moves just to keep busy.

my thoughts exactly

Team Clark
12-14-2006, 10:18 AM
my thoughts exactly

What..??? No Pokey Reese as a throw in?:laugh:

westofyou
12-14-2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/13/AR2006121301763.html

Should the trade go through, Washington would be left without an accomplished second baseman. But as the Nationals tried to shop Vidro, they quietly had planned all along to move Lopez, acquired in a trade with Cincinnati in July, to second and put Guzman, coming off a shoulder injury that cost him all of 2006, back at shortstop.

Doc. Scott
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
To get that much value for a rapidly-fading, over-30, expensive guy like Vidro? Not bad. This (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/seattle-mariners.html) says Vidro is signed through 2008 at $7.5MM for '07 and $8.5MM for '08, plus Seattle added a vesting option for 2009 at undisclosed terms in exchange for Jose waiving his no-trade clause. Washington had to kick in $4 million of that remaining $16 million, so they save twelve mil.

Snelling (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Chris-Snelling.shtml) is injured more often than Tracy Jones was and Fruto (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/Emiliano-Fruto.shtml) walks a lot of people but is only 22.

If Chris can actually spend a whole healthy season on a big-league roster, he's got a good chance of producing at a league-average rate. Fruto has pitched pretty darn well in the minors for a guy so young.

I'm actually fairly impressed with this (including the impending move of Lopez), with one exception: the transaction thrusts Cristian Guzman back into a starting role. Ray Oyler minus the consistent glove. (just for you, WOY)

westofyou
12-14-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm actually fairly impressed with this, with one exception: the transaction thrusts Cristian Guzman back into a starting role. Ray Oyler minus the consistent glove. (just for you, WOY)

2005 Nats line for Guzman

.219/.260/.314/.574 - 456 AB's

Ray 1969 Pilots

.165/.260/.267/.526 - 255 AB's

To add to the pot the 1969 Pilots tried to convert former Red Tommy Harper (http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/09/13/revisiting-the-past-1966/) to 2nd base, Harper was the guy who scored all those runs for the Reds in 1965. The next year the Brwers (Pilots) moved him to 3rd, a position that he stunk at when the Reds tried him there. he ended up in the OF.

Will Lopez as well?

http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/th.gif

deltachi8
12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I think Lopez is a decent 2b and an above average 3b.

Wheelhouse
12-14-2006, 05:08 PM
I think Lopez is a decent 2b and an above average 3b.

Agree on 2B, disagree on 3B. His issue is throwing and being in position during plays. Not good for a third sacker but you can get by at 2B.

PuffyPig
12-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Agree on 2B, disagree on 3B. His issue is throwing and being in position during plays. Not good for a third sacker but you can get by at 2B.

He's also has a good stick for a secondbaseman, but a poor stick for a thirdbaseman.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Tommy Harper spoke at a pep rally at my high school back in the day.

And then he scrimmaged with us on the basketball team. He yelled at me for shooting too much.

"Ray Oyler minus the consistent glove. (just for you, WOY)"? Holy cats, what's left?

Chip R
12-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I wonder if anyone has told Felipe he's going to 2nd? I'm guessing his agent, the ubiquitous Mr. Boros, may not be thrilled about this. Let's face it, shortstop is a marquee position. Guys like Alex Gonzalez are getting $5M a year. 2nd basemen heve been afterthoughts.

edabbs44
12-15-2006, 12:33 AM
I wonder if anyone has told Felipe he's going to 2nd? I'm guessing his agent, the ubiquitous Mr. Boros, may not be thrilled about this. Let's face it, shortstop is a marquee position. Guys like Alex Gonzalez are getting $5M a year. 2nd basemen heve been afterthoughts.

The Nats have a history of moving players in the field without letting them know, don't they? :)

Heath
12-15-2006, 08:22 AM
2005 Nats line for Guzman

.219/.260/.314/.574 - 456 AB's

Ray 1969 Pilots

.165/.260/.267/.526 - 255 AB's

To add to the pot the 1969 Pilots tried to convert former Red Tommy Harper (http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/09/13/revisiting-the-past-1966/) to 2nd base, Harper was the guy who scored all those runs for the Reds in 1965. The next year the Brwers (Pilots) moved him to 3rd, a position that he stunk at when the Reds tried him there. he ended up in the OF.

Will Lopez as well?

http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/th.gif

What about Ray Oyler, circa 1968 Tigers? That was a pretty bad Ray Oyler.

westofyou
12-15-2006, 11:06 AM

True, but 1969 was a much bigger offensive year and Sicks had an 103 PF.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061214&content_id=1761377&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

One day after it was revealed that the Nationals are close to sending second baseman Jose Vidro to the Mariners for outfielder Chris Snelling and right-hander Emiliano Fruto, pending physicals, Felipe Lopez said he will make the switch from shortstop to second base for Washington in 2007.

Lopez, 26, made the decision last week after talking to general manager Jim Bowden on the phone and manager Manny Acta in a face-to-face meeting in Orlando. It was Bowden who explained to Lopez that Cristian Guzman has no experience at second base and that Lopez was the logical choice to make a position switch.

Lopez has played 12 games at second base during his career, and there are people in the front office and scouts around the league who feel that he is a far superior second baseman and third baseman than he is a shortstop.

The last time Lopez played second base was in 2005 with the Reds. The plan is for Barry Larkin, Bowden's special advisor, to tutor Lopez at the position during Spring Training.

Acta also asked Lopez about playing second and Lopez said he would do anything to help the team win -- except for playing left field or catcher.

"I have no problem playing second base," Lopez said by phone late Tuesday afternoon. "I played there before. I just have to go to Spring Training and work at it. I haven't played there in a long time. It should not be hard. Of course, I would like to be at short, but due to circumstances, I don't mind playing second."

The visit from Acta gave Lopez the feeling that his new boss wants to win in 2007, not in two or three years.

"There is a lot of talent on the team, and we should play as a team and work on the fundamentals," Lopez said. "We should have a chance to win, instead of waiting because of a rebuilding year."

Lopez also will be the leadoff hitter, replacing Alfonso Soriano, who signed a $136 million contract with the Cubs. Last season, Lopez batted second most of the time and hit .274 with 11 home runs, 52 RBIs and 44 stolen bases. He set career highs in walks (81), runs (98) and stolen bases. Lopez believes he will be a solid leadoff hitter.

"Hitting leadoff will not be a big transition for me. I was getting on base hitting second behind Soriano," Lopez said. "I'm going to treat it the same -- just get on base like I did last year and score a lot of runs.

"I'm looking to improve, however. I want to cut down on the strikeouts. Even though I walked a lot, I want to put the ball in play a lot more and be aggressive."

LINEDRIVER
12-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Tommy Harper spoke at a pep rally at my high school back in the day.

And then he scrimmaged with us on the basketball team. He yelled at me for shooting too much.

"Ray Oyler minus the consistent glove. (just for you, WOY)"? Holy cats, what's left?

Holy cats, what's left?

I wish I would of read that tonight instead of this morning. I'll be busy Christmas shopping today and I'll be seen walking around laughing to myself while I think of 'Holy cats, what's left?'

TRF
12-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Man I love FeLo's attitude about playing. He showed that in ST when he declined to play for PR in the WBC stating he needed to work on getting more consistent in the field. I also think he could be dandy at 2B, and feel he'll be an outstanding leadoff hitter.

savafan
12-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Larkin is going to tutor FeLo at 2nd base...??? :confused:

TRF
12-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah that does seem odd. But they do have a good relationship according to all I have read. Maybe he can help with his footwork.

Chip R
12-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Larkin is going to tutor FeLo at 2nd base...??? :confused:

Sure. He'll just tell FeLo to do the opposite of whatever he says. ;) I'm glad to hear FeLo isn't putting up a fuss about moving. I wish him the best of luck.

deltachi8
12-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Sure. He'll just tell FeLo to do the opposite of whatever he says. ;) I'm glad to hear FeLo isn't putting up a fuss about moving. I wish him the best of luck.

I do as well. He is still my son's favorite player.

Doc. Scott
12-15-2006, 10:15 PM

This is the Oyler I remember... from MicroLeague Baseball's 1968 Tigers on my childhood Apple II. Then I met him again later as one of the only names I initially recognized in Ball Four.

Doc. Scott
12-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Man I love FeLo's attitude about playing. He showed that in ST when he declined to play for PR in the WBC stating he needed to work on getting more consistent in the field. I also think he could be dandy at 2B, and feel he'll be an outstanding leadoff hitter.

Lopez already is an outstanding leadoff hitter; look at his OBP this past year (although his power took a predictable dive). He's still the equal or near-equal of Ryan Freel at batting #1 and considerably better than anyone else left on the Reds.

As far as the defensive switch goes... that's where we find out. At least he's buried on a team going nowhere. :devil:

westofyou
12-19-2006, 11:36 AM
"He's smart," Manager Manny Acta said of his conversation withLopez before the trade. "He understood what was going on. He didn't resist [the position switch] at all, and he was completely open to it."

"We're not saying [Lopez] can't play shortstop," Bowden said. "And we're not closing the door on him playing shortstop for us."

Now, if WK said the above about Lopez he's be dragged around the street for not talking straight to the fanbase. ;)

Moral to the story, GM's don't smack talk players they want to keep happy and they try their best to not plant seeds of discontent during the off season, when tickets can be sold based on almost anything that has nothing to do with the game between the line.

Notes: The Nationals also are expected to announce in the coming days that they have reached agreements on minor league contracts with infielder D'Angelo Jimenez, outfielder Abraham Nu?ez and left-hander Luis Martinez.

2004-2005 Reds MI is a possibility in DC next summer.

Catch the fever!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/18/AR2006121800705.html

Doc. Scott
12-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I think Jimenez was brought in to boost team chemistry.