PDA

View Full Version : The X-Files

MrsHammer
12-14-2006, 10:54 AM
As I was reading through the Peter Boyle thread (may he rest in peace), I noticed a few mentions of the X-Files. I would have to list that as my all time favorite show. It was just truly unique at the time and I felt that it was one of the more intelligent shows out there. So, any fellow X-File fans here? What were some of your favorite episodes? I was big on the mythology episodes of course, but I also always got a kick out of the more comedic, light-hearted episodes. One of my favorite episodes from the series would have to be "Paper Hearts", it just really got to me and I loved David Duchovny's performance along with the actor who played the child abductor (sorry...don't know his name). Great episode. I think the series went a little awry toward the end, but I still loved it. I'm hoping the 2nd movie comes to fruition eventually.

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I loved the Jose Chung episode starring the baffling Charles Nelson Reilly with Alex Trebeck and Jesse the Body Ventura as Men in Black, the Peter Boyle episode, the baseball episode with M. Emmett Walsh, and "Home" -- the "banned" episode with the incestuous southern family. The mythology episodes were good and kept me hooked, but the show really shined when it pulled out all the stops and went crazy.

IowaRed
12-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Paper Hearts was a great episode. None were more memorable for me than "Home" as Johnny mentioned, with Sheriff Andy Taylor. So many great, "spooky", scenes in that episode, the kids playing baseball at the beginning, finding the mom under the bed, the entire scene when the sheriff and his wife are killed. Brilliant, eerie, stuff

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Paper Hearts was a great episode. None were more memorable for me than "Home" as Johnny mentioned, with Sheriff Andy Taylor. So many great, "spooky", scenes in that episode, the kids playing baseball at the beginning, finding the mom under the bed, the entire scene when the sheriff and his wife are killed. Brilliant, eerie, stuff

My girlfriends parents used to call us every Sunday evening, and my wife would rush to end the conversation before X-Files came on. They became curious about the show and decided to start watching it. The first episode they saw happened to be "Home." :laugh:

It was also the last episode they saw.

Ltlabner
12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I enjoyed a lot of the X files episodes. But, being a dork, I always enjoyed the shows that deal with "the conspiricy" over the funny ones, mythology, weird insects, etc.

Matt700wlw
12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I've always like the X-Files.

SO many outstanding episodes!

Paper Hearts is one of my favorites....it just makes your skin crawl.

Joseph
12-14-2006, 03:15 PM
I was not an X-Phile while the show was in original production, but I do make a point to watch it in re-runs now and again and I do enjoy a great deal of what I see in it. The 'Home' episode mentioned above seems to be one I've seen about a half dozen times, though I've never seen the Peter boyle episode at all and I wish I could based on what I've read.

I should probably just buy the dvds :)

MrsHammer
12-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, the season DVD's were way out of my price range for a long time. Fortunately though, FOX came out with revamped season DVD's earlier this year at a much more reasonable price. I have season's 1-3, and am hoping dear Santa brings me seasons 4 & 5. :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I was not an X-Phile while the show was in original production, but I do make a point to watch it in re-runs now and again and I do enjoy a great deal of what I see in it. The 'Home' episode mentioned above seems to be one I've seen about a half dozen times, though I've never seen the Peter boyle episode at all and I wish I could based on what I've read.

I should probably just buy the dvds :)

The Peter Boyle episode is just brilliant. It's funny, subtle, and ultimately very sad. The dialogue is especially well-written, even by X-Files standards. Great show.

RichRed
12-14-2006, 04:06 PM
"Home" -- the "banned" episode with the incestuous southern family.

Creepiest thing I've ever seen on network TV, but so well done.

Matt700wlw
12-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Creepiest thing I've ever seen on network TV, but so well done.

I didn't see that one untl this year....TNT played it.

My mouth was on the floor.....it gave me the creeps. It was sick. I did enjoy it though (and almost felt wrong for doing so).

:)

Dom Heffner
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
I enjoyed a lot of the X files episodes. But, being a dork, I always enjoyed the shows that deal with "the conspiricy" over the funny ones, mythology, weird insects, etc.

I was totally the opposite. Hated the aliens, the smoking guy, the sister plotline...but loved the creepy people.

The show on the carnies was great, considfering I lived right by that town for awhile.

MrCinatit
12-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I love a lot of the ones already mentioned - the baseball episode, paper hearts, and the episode with Trebek were particularly good.
Some that stick out (no names, sorry):
One where Jodie Foster voiced a tatoo who was taking over the mind of the man who had the tatoo.
Tony Shalhoub played a man whose shadow became a black hole. Very nice.
There was an episode with a Cher loving elephant man which made me chuckle.
Je Souhaite with Kevin Weisman as a man who finds a genie was a classic.

Yachtzee
12-14-2006, 11:39 PM

After that episode, I can't help but think of Eric Stolz in "Mask" whenever I hear "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves."

marcshoe
12-15-2006, 12:24 AM
I've only recently started watching the repeats. For a while after the series ended, I couldn't watch, because it seemed strange to revisit times before. Now, though, I'm really enjoying seeing episodes I'd almost forgotten. When my income gets a bump next month, I'm going to pick up some early season DVDs.

The show's in my top five of all time, probably battling with St. Elsewhere for the top spot.

Johnny Footstool
12-15-2006, 09:42 AM

Rumor has it that they asked Cher to appear in the episode, but she turned them down. Then she actually watched it, called them back, and said she had made a big mistake, because it was brilliant.

IowaRed
12-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I was totally the opposite. Hated the aliens, the smoking guy, the sister plotline...but loved the creepy people.

The show on the carnies was great, considfering I lived right by that town for awhile.

the conspiracy plotlines were a little too much at times. I enjoyed the episodes that broke away vampires, bigfoot, New Jersey sewer monsters, computers gone crazy, to mention a few

TeamBoone
12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Love, love, love the X-Files and still catch its reruns every chance I get.

I'm not sure if I've seen the "Home" episode... is the really really dark one where they find the mom (I think) under the floorboards in the house?

Johnny Footstool
12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Love, love, love the X-Files and still catch its reruns every chance I get.

I'm not sure if I've seen the "Home" episode... is the really really dark one where they find the mom (I think) under the floorboards in the house?

That's the one. It was banned from re-broadcast for a time. I think the one they're showing now might be edited to make it a little less gross.

RichRed
12-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Rumor has it that they asked Cher to appear in the episode, but she turned them down. Then she actually watched it, called them back, and said she had made a big mistake, because it was brilliant.

Great episode for many reasons, one of them being the main character dancing his head off to Cher's rousing cover of Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis" at the end.

TeamBoone
12-15-2006, 01:44 PM
That's the one. It was banned from re-broadcast for a time. I think the one they're showing now might be edited to make it a little less gross.

I didn't know it had been banned, but I do remember it vividly (guess there was a reason for that).

It left me feeling very unsettled, and I remember thinking at the time that it was a very strange episode (stranger than the norm, I mean) because it was so deep, dark, and uncomfortable. I didn't enjoy it... instantly it became my least favorite, and I doubt I'd watch it again even if I had the chance.

savafan
04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
From Frank Spotnitz's blog:

http://www.biglight.com/blog/

IT'S TRUE
Several people have e-mailed to ask about reports that the second "X-Files" feature is finally in the works. A script is indeed in development, but I'm afraid that's all I can say. Thanks for your good wishes and support all these years.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=20576

It’s been talked about for nearly ten years, but now, thanks to an out-of-court settlement, it might actually happen. David Duchovny, aka Agent Fox Mulder from the smash ‘90s sci-fi show The X-Files, recently spilled that show creator Chris Carter is finally in talks with 20th Century Fox about a second X-Files movie, having settled with them in a lawsuit over syndication profits. So when Empire got the chance to sit down with Gillian Anderson, aka Agent Dana Scully, to discuss her new film, Straightheads, we couldn’t resist bringing up her mooted return to the shadowy basement beneath FBI headquarters.

“They’re starting to talk about doing a feature again,” she confirms. “Every year or two they talk about it again, but it seems like it might be for real this time. Somehow it seems like somebody’s really serious about it. I know that Chris’ lawsuit with Fox is over, so maybe now it can be done.”

There’s no getting plot details out of her (“I keep in email contact with Chris but he won’t talk about it. At all”), but Anderson was able to say that it’s unlikely we’ll see the return of the little grey aliens at the heart of the series’ long-running conspiracy thread. “All Chris says is that he wants to make a really scary horror, like a stand-alone episode. I don’t think they’re interested in touching on any of the conspiracy stuff.”

The show disappointed many of its followers by petering out without wrapping up the story to their satisfaction. But Anderson says that the movie sequel’s function isn’t to appease the hardcore fans. “I actually don’t have enough of a perspective to say whether questions were answered or whether it was wrapped up enough in the end, and honestly there’s part of me that doesn’t care. I can be sympathetic to die-hard fans who might feel left in short shrift, but that’s where my sympathies lie!”

Johnny Footstool
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
“All Chris says is that he wants to make a really scary horror, like a stand-alone episode. I don’t think they’re interested in touching on any of the conspiracy stuff.”

The show disappointed many of its followers by petering out without wrapping up the story to their satisfaction. But Anderson says that the movie sequel’s function isn’t to appease the hardcore fans. “I actually don’t have enough of a perspective to say whether questions were answered or whether it was wrapped up enough in the end, and honestly there’s part of me that doesn’t care. I can be sympathetic to die-hard fans who might feel left in short shrift, but that’s where my sympathies lie!”

A stand-alone X-Files horror movie is a bad, bad idea.

pedro
04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
A stand-alone X-Files horror movie is a bad, bad idea.

I don't know. I found the episodes that weren't conspiracy based to be my favorites. Then again, perhaps the entire idea of making any sort of X-Files movies is bad at this point.

Johnny Footstool
04-30-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't know. I found the episodes that weren't conspiracy based to be my favorites. Then again, perhaps the entire idea of making any sort of X-Files movies is bad at this point.

I liked the non-conspiracy episodes as well. But at this point, a decade after the show's heyday, would people go see an X-Files movie that doesn't relate to the main conspiracy thread? I think it would be box office poison.

gm
04-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I've got a lot of X-pisodes on old VHS tapes but I haven't gone back to watch them in years...similarly, I haven't been re-reading the Lord of the Ring books since seeing the movie trilogy...it must be all those internet podcasts that are stealing away my discretionary idle time

Redsfaithful
05-01-2007, 01:49 AM
I liked the non-conspiracy episodes as well. But at this point, a decade after the show's heyday, would people go see an X-Files movie that doesn't relate to the main conspiracy thread? I think it would be box office poison.

I actually think it might be the other way around. I know I couldn't care at all about the consipiracy stuff, but I'd probably go see a standalone movie.