PDA

View Full Version : Joel Zumaya; Guitar Hero claims its first victim

Red Leader
12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski told WXYT-AM on Wednesday the team had concluded Joel Zumaya's wrist/forearm troubles at the end of the season came from playing the Playstation 2 game "Guitar Hero," not anything pitching related.

Soon will come a day where video game playing will be written into players contracts. Amazing.

BCubb2003
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Wasn't Zambrano sidelined at one point because of too much online typing?

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Is this "Guitar Hero Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome"?

Remember the olden days, when players only had to worry about "Nintendo Elbow"?

Joseph
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Is this "Guitar Hero Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome"?

Remember the olden days, when players only had to worry about "Nintendo Elbow"?

Let's not exaggerate, there was also Duck Hunt Trigger Finger Syndrome.

Red Leader
12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I once bruised one of my fingers from playing NBA jams on Playstation.

I just couldn't set the controller down. I was "on fire". :)

dsmith421
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
What about Legend of Zelda Degenerative Bench-Ass? I suffered from that ailment for several weeks in 1989.

Doc. Scott
12-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Is "Guitar Hero" what they're using as a euphemism for other wrist-related activities these days? That's a new one to me.

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
What about Legend of Zelda Degenerative Bench-Ass? I suffered from that ailment for several weeks in 1989.

Ouch.

M2
12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I think the larger point being missed here is that Joel Zumaya rocks. Dude's a heavy metal closer.

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I think the larger point being missed here is that Joel Zumaya rocks. Dude's a heavy metal closer.

You don't "rock" if you hurt yourself playing a mildly-guitar-related video game.

Granted, it's way more butch than pulling a hamstring playing "Dance Dance Revolution", but still, getting hurt while *pretending* to rock out is lame.

Unassisted
12-14-2006, 01:09 PM
I've heard that Nintendo Wii games require some vigorous and unorthodox arm motions. Shouldn't be long before that system starts claiming MLB victims, too.

Joseph
12-14-2006, 01:11 PM
I've heard that Nintendo Wii games require some vigorous and unorthodox arm motions. Shouldn't be long before that system starts claiming MLB victims, too.

Reconstructive surgery from guys playing Madden on the Wii, I think you're on to something.

Red Leader
12-14-2006, 01:12 PM
If I was a major league baseball player, I'd want my contract to read:

"No Wii-ing on company time."

M2
12-14-2006, 01:15 PM
You don't "rock" if you hurt yourself playing a mildly-guitar-related video game.

Granted, it's way more butch than pulling a hamstring playing "Dance Dance Revolution", but still, getting hurt while *pretending* to rock out is lame.

I'm talking about rocking in spirit here. I can tell you this, I want a closer who takes the mound with a good riff running through his head. The batter's worried about where the ball's going, meanwhile the closer is thinking about the next fill in "Unchained."

RedsManRick
12-14-2006, 01:15 PM
I've been dealing with a mild case of segaitis ever since 7th grade... it's a tough thing to deal with.

Jr's Boy
12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
meanwhile the closer is thinking about the next fill in "Unchained."

Great song.

savafan
12-14-2006, 01:24 PM
How much to send these Guitar Hero games to the pitching staffs of all the other teams in the NL Central?

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm talking about rocking in spirit here. I can tell you this, I want a closer who takes the mound with a good riff running through his head. The batter's worried about where the ball's going, meanwhile the closer is thinking about the next fill in "Unchained."

I love Trevor Hoffman's attitude -- enter to "Hell's Bells" like you're going to blow people away, then frustrate batters with changeups and 80 mph "fastballs."

Joseph
12-14-2006, 01:29 PM
How much to send these Guitar Hero games to the pitching staffs of all the other teams in the NL Central?

http://djmansion.250free.com/guiness.JPG

Brilliant!

Yachtzee
12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Let me jump in my wayback machine to show you the horrors of "Atari Thumb."

zombie-a-go-go
12-14-2006, 02:47 PM

Hey, I like DDR...

Ah... anyway, I long suspected that Kearns' mysterious thumb ailment came from spending too much time on the Playstation w/ Dunn.

Redsland
12-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Wasn't Zambrano sidelined at one point because of too much online typing?
And Brian Shackelford. ;)

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Let me jump in my wayback machine to show you the horrors of "Atari Thumb."

That's only slightly more painful than "Pong Crotch."

Although in retrospect, maybe I wasn't playing that game the right way...

Mario-Rijo
12-14-2006, 04:19 PM
dsmith421
What about Legend of Zelda Degenerative Bench-Ass? I suffered from that ailment for several weeks in 1989. :laugh:

Oh my, and I thought I was the only one! And in the same year as well! About 3 weeks for me.

Blimpie
12-14-2006, 06:35 PM

Granted, it's way more butch than pulling a hamstring playing "Dance Dance Revolution", but still, getting hurt while *pretending* to rock out is lame.Obviously, the game's guitar does not translate to actual instrument playing. But have you seen the game and it's song selections?

That game ROCKS and it is straight up addicting. Blimpie, Jr. should not be suprised to see that one wrapped nicely under the Festivus Pole in a few weeks....:D

Always Red
12-14-2006, 06:42 PM
It's not like the old days when guys suffered repetitive strain injuries while flicking the spinner on All Star Baseball...

http://www.sooiehammer.com/ASB_1964.JPG

redsfanmia
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Guitar Hero is a ton of fun, any game that allows you to "rock out" to Judas Priest, Motorhead and Hendrix is all good!!!!!!!

gm
12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Obviously, the game's guitar does not translate to actual instrument playing. But have you seen the game and it's song selections?

That game ROCKS and it is straight up addicting. Blimpie, Jr. should not be suprised to see that one wrapped nicely under the Festivus Pole in a few weeks....:D

"Smooooke on the water...duh duh duhhh, duh duh da-dah"

My kids moved on to GHII last month. Runescape is the online timewaster

vaticanplum
12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I have no idea what any of you are talking about. And yet somehow I understand that this thread encapsulates all of baseball fandom.

Blimpie
12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I have no idea what any of you are talking about. And yet somehow I understand that this thread encapsulates all of baseball fandom.

See if this helps...

http://www.guitarherogame.com/

:rockband:

Spitball
12-15-2006, 04:05 PM
My sixteen year old plays it all the time and wants Guitar Hero II for Christmas. The music selection is great and it requires lots of rapid finger/thumb/wrist action to keep up with the on-coming balls of whatever that the player has to respond to.