PDA

View Full Version : Rich Doesn't Equal Wise

Doc. Scott
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2695605

The New York Mets may have pooptons of scratch, but here they are re-upping Dave Williams for $1.25 million.

I can only assume that this is now the price for "rotation insurance".

And this on the same day Victor Zambrano (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4791), legendary dubious return for Scott Kazmir, was let go.

princeton
12-14-2006, 06:06 PM
I want Zambrano

harangatang
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
1.25 million for two wins against the Cardinals next year ...when you're in a big market, you can afford it. ;)

Hubba
12-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I want Zambrano
Me too.:beerme:

Chip R
12-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I want Zambrano

You do realize it's Victor, not Carlos? ;)

Roy Tucker
12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
As a Reds fan, I just hope the FO is doing the right thing with largely staying away from these big buck/marginal talent signings.

I read about all the signings and it reminds me of Pinocchio and the Lost Boys. All these owners and GMs are playing pool, smoking cigars, drinking beer, and acting like there is no tomorrow and no repercussions. Slinging all this money around, I got to think that someday (soon?), they'll all turn into donkeys and be sorry for what they did.

At least I hope so. I like the Reds' relative prudence in the FA market. I'd just like to know what the other half of the equation is, i.e. what they'll spend this money they are saving on.

I sit and bite my nails while watching the jackasses on Pleasure Island.

dfs
12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
All these owners and GMs are playing pool, smoking cigars, drinking beer, and acting like there is no tomorrow and no repercussions. Slinging all this money around, I got to think that someday (soon?), they'll all turn into donkeys and be sorry for what they did.

That may be. The flip side may be that with revenue sharing the market has fundamentally changed and prices have gone up (as they historically have). Junior's contract is not yet a bargain contract, but it may be soon. Milton....As tough a pill as it may be for reds fans to swallow, compared to the rest of his free agent class, the signing of Eric Milton was a success. Back up and read that again. He stayed reasonably healthy and gave them innings. Compared to the prices paid to this year's free agent class of starting pitchers, Eric Milton's contract represents value. I know how retarded that may sound and I may not like it, but that's the market. Before you go shrill about Wayne K sitting out of the free agent market (as we all want to do at times) remember that.

oneupper
12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Milton's two years of suckitude make his signing an awful one, regarless of what he was paid or how he performs in 2007.

Signing bad players is bad business, even if they are cheap (and Milton is NOT cheap).

Cooper
12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I agree with princeton re:Zambrano...if his arm is half way okay ...he is exactly the kind of starter who could go to the pen and give you 9k/9inn with a below average ERA. In the bullpen he might be able to pare his stuff down to 2 pitches, thus slightly increasing his control. Is his arm ok?

Ravenlord
12-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree with princeton re:Zambrano...if his arm is half way okay ...he is exactly the kind of starter who could go to the pen and give you 9k/9inn with a below average ERA. In the bullpen he might be able to pare his stuff down to 2 pitches, thus slightly increasing his control. Is his arm ok?

even if it's not ok, you can sign him to a deal similar to what the Cubs gave Ryan Dempster and Scott Williamson a couple years back. i would like to have Victor in the mix.

princeton
12-15-2006, 04:56 PM
You do realize it's Victor, not Carlos? ;)

I vant Victor

Doc. Scott
12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
I vant Victor

Fix him in ten minutes, you could?