PDA

View Full Version : Milton being traded?

KoryMac5
12-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't see this listed so I'll be first to bite. The word on the Seattle message boards is that Eric Milton is being traded for Ben Broussard. I have no confirmation on this or a link yet. Word is the deal is being finalized. I would be shocked if this deal went down since we already have a lefty first baseman, but just wanted to throw this one out their to see if anyone else has heard this rumor

Tom Servo
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Dear God please let this be true.

Patrick Bateman
12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
I didn't see this listed so I'll be first to bite. The word on the Seattle message boards is that Eric Milton is being traded for Ben Broussard. I have no confirmation on this or a link yet. Word is the deal is being finalized. I would be shocked if this deal went down since we already have a lefty first baseman, but just wanted to throw this one out their to see if anyone else has heard this rumor

Broussard doesn't make a whole lot of sense since, as you said, is also a lefty. If this rumor is true, it would make sense that we take Broussard simply because of financial reasons. He's making a couple million dollars and would help even up the salaries, and Bavasi has made it clear that he wants to get rid of Broussard (especially after the Vidro deal).

If we get any kind of salary relief for Milton I'll be pleased (and not entirely shocked knowing the wonder that is Bill Bavasi).

KoryMac5
12-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Wayne would be out of the doghouse on this board if it happened. Falls City might even send Wayne a christmas card.

Heath
12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
KoryMac, I hope, sincerely, that the medications from your doctor arrive soon. I can't imagine the cold turkey you are heading towards now.

Are purple unicorns coming to earth????*

*and if it's true, I'll rep you, I promise.

Falls City Beer
12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Falls City might even send Wayne a christmas card.

I'd marry his daughter. Name it. Anything....

Oh damn, I'm married.

vaticanplum
12-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Barry Zito has got to sign somewhere so I can stop thinking that every minute dustbunny of a possible potential rumor regarding this team is all part of a grand scheme to free up money and fill a pitching spot.

Aronchis
12-14-2006, 07:42 PM
If that is true, I will buy Wayne's new book: Transitional Progress lol.

I doubt it is true, but I would sacrafice all alcohal for a year if true.......;)

Reds Fanatic
12-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Someone on one of their boards is claiming it is Broussard for Milton and a player to be named later. He claims to have seen this on ESPN but I see no mention of it on their site.

RFS62
It's cruel to taunt us like this so close to Christmas.

:all_cohol

KoryMac5
KoryMac, I hope, sincerely, that the medications from your doctor arrive soon. I can't imagine the cold turkey you are heading towards now.

Are purple unicorns coming to earth????*

*and if it's true, I'll rep you, I promise.

The thing that blew me away about the rumor is that it wasn't on a Reds website it originated on a Mariners site. They were actually going over the good things about Milton trying to justify the trade. I felt I had to report it was out their.

DoogMinAmo
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
I thought Milton ended the season on the DL, and players on the DL can not be traded? This is the only reason I am holding out hope that Reggie Sanders is the PTBNL in the Royals deal for Larue. Someone tell me I am not wrong, please!

M2
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Forget about whether this rumor is true or even feasible, I smile just thinking about it.

WVRed
12-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I havent seen it on a Mariners board yet.

Joseph
12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Would he pass a physical?

Kc61
If this happens, I will stop complaining.

For a few days.

DoogMinAmo
If Milty goes, then Wayne HAS to get another pitcher form outside the organization. Then we would know the off season CANT be over.

Is anyone else under the impression that this could the first of many dominoes to fall?

Or maybe I need to relax and wait for this to be confirmed first.

Reds Fanatic
12-14-2006, 07:50 PM
This is from an ESPN board which means it is probably not even close to true.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=mlb&id=sea&tid=308097&lid=6

Joseph
12-14-2006, 07:50 PM
If this happens, I will stop complaining.

For a day.

Fixed it for you Kc.

Heath
12-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Can someone page BrooklynRedz or Marc Lancaster or Peter Gammons or someone with a Batsignal? My day just stopped.

(That sucks, I know).

Aronchis
12-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Milton traded, Broussard/Hatte platooon, fills righthanded bat, Zito signs, Bailey throws Reds over the top as Reds develope good rotation for once. Ah, but it will not come true.

Heath
12-14-2006, 07:53 PM
This is from an ESPN board which means it is probably not even close to true.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=mlb&id=sea&tid=308097&lid=6

Quit bringing reality to this dream. You big bucket of water you.

jojo
The name I'm hearing is Todd Coffey for Broussard.....

Falls City Beer
Sounds like the thread starter is a pathological liar. Nothing to see here, apparently.

Oh well, it was a nice thought.

Tom Servo
12-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I saw that on USSMariner as well.

Heath
12-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Milton traded, Broussard/Hatte platooon, fills righthanded bat, Zito signs, Bailey throws Reds over the top as Reds develope good rotation for once. Ah, but it will not come true.

Yeah, because Broussard's a lefty....

Strikes Out Looking
Well this thread proves one thing. We are all insane. Why, I read the thread, then I googled the Mariner's trying to find fan sites like this one. I found Marinersmania.com and discovered that there is like no one on the site and only one new thread started today (about the Vidro trade). Then I came back to this thread, and read the ESPN thread. Man, I gotta get a life. And...I hope this is true. I'd rather have Belisle be number 4 than Milton.

Caseyfan21

Not saying you're wrong but I can't see the sense in this deal. Broussard isn't better than Hatteberg and Votto is on the horizon next season or the year after.

If Broussard comes here for a reliever (and one of the few who has had success at that), then the only reason I could see would be because Votto will be traded.

Heath
12-14-2006, 07:57 PM

now, that's one I'd probably scream a little loud.

That one involves Coffeybro.

DoogMinAmo
12-14-2006, 07:57 PM
People are just glossing over the obvious here. Arroyo needs a backup singer... http://www.benbroussard.com

I am quickly losing hope in/for this deal.

Falls City Beer
12-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Someone yelled "Milton" in a crowded message forum.

flyer85
12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
where would that leave Hatty?

DoogMinAmo
12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Would we have to resurrect the Bender update?

Falls City Beer
12-14-2006, 08:01 PM
where would that leave Hatty?

It's a fake. No merit whatsoever.

Tom Servo
12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
False alarm, and I have just lost all hope of Milton getting traded anytime before this next season's All-Star break.

jojo
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I can't imagine the Ms taking on Milton's contract but then again I couldn't fathom several of Bavasi's recent moves....

Kc61
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Fixed it for you Kc.

Thanks.

Degenerate39
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I don't think it would be Milton that they traded for Broussard. I'd love if we could get rid of Milton and get a platoon 1st baseman though. It would be a day full of rejoice here on Redszone.

vaticanplum
12-14-2006, 08:14 PM

:lol:

MrCinatit
12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Ever wake up in the middle of a fantasic dream - for a brief moment, you still think that dream is a reality. Then, you realize you are still living the same crappy life.
This thread was that dream.

redsfan30
12-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Ever wake up in the middle of a fantasic dream - for a brief moment, you still think that dream is a reality. Then, you realize you are still living the same crappy life.
This thread was that dream.

That's the worst feeling in the world. And for me, it's usually me making out with the girl I've had a crush on for about 7 years (even while I was with my ex-girlfriend) then waking up.

It sucks.

RollyInRaleigh
12-14-2006, 08:19 PM
That ballpark is exactly the type of place that Milton could be relatively effective.

RFS62
12-14-2006, 08:22 PM
That ballpark is exactly the type of place that Milton could be relatively effective.

There or Yellowstone.

redsfanfalcon
12-14-2006, 08:29 PM
If you read down on the Mariners ESPN message board the guy that started the rumor is known for making stuff up. You can report violations, and I reported him for giving us all false hope.

Always Red
12-14-2006, 08:30 PM
There or Yellowstone.

...or the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Heath
12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
There or Yellowstone.

Thanks, Vaughn's girlfriend/manager.

http://www.anni80.info/movies/images/wild.jpg

Heath
12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
This might have been the fastest a thread has started and died.

The King Cobra ride at Kings' Island took longer to ride than this thread.

M2
12-14-2006, 08:55 PM
It's a fake. No merit whatsoever.

Shhh, I'm pretending this is real until at least tomorrow morning.

If nothing else, maybe the rumor will get back to Bill Bavasi and he'll say, "Yeah, I should TOTALLY do that!"

corkedbat
12-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I was hoping against hope that this was vone of those rumor threads where you start reading and by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th page the deal;s been done. CRAP! Mondo Bummer. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Why do you torture us so!?!Pants never shoulda treated a nice guy like Doggie so poorly!

jojo
12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Take heart.... if this idea made it into the Ms FO, it would begin percolating inside a certain bald head in Seattle..... by this time tomorrow, Krivsky might be able to score Putz for him... :cool:

redlegs7089
12-14-2006, 09:21 PM
i was gonna say that the mariners gm was smoking large amounts of crack!!!

Shaknb8k
12-14-2006, 09:35 PM

That gets my vote for funniest post of the year. That was great!

RedEye
12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Wow. If Bavasi had actually done that trade it might have been the worst 24 hour period to be a Mariner fan in history... and that's really saying something.

Coffeybro
12-14-2006, 09:44 PM

I haven't heard a word about Todd being traded or the possiblity. Last time it came up was during spring training. Boston wanted Todd added into the Bronson/Wily trade.

jojo
12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Wow. If Bavasi had actually done that trade it might have been the worst 24 hour period to be a Mariner fan in history... and that's really saying something.

I dunno, Slocumb for Lowell/Varitek is pretty hard to beat..... :bang:

KoryMac5
12-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Well I think we can put this thread to bed. I just keep scratchin my head and wondering if you are going to make something up why Milton for Broussard. It was nice to dream for a moment.

ochre
12-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Would he pass a physical?
How heavy are they? He'd probably have to use his right arm...

roby
12-14-2006, 11:54 PM
To quote the great Arthur Spooner: "There is 30 minutes of my life that I'll never get back." :bang:

cincy09
12-15-2006, 12:07 AM
WEll that was depressing

Topcat
12-15-2006, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE=jojo;1212196]I dunno, Slocumb for Lowell/Varitek is pretty hard to beat..... :bang:[/QUOTE Um jojo I do believe that's wrong. I Believe it was Bragg and Varitek or Lowe and Varitek.

jojo
12-15-2006, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=jojo;1212196]I dunno, Slocumb for Lowell/Varitek is pretty hard to beat..... :bang:[/QUOTE Um jojo I do believe that's wrong. I Believe it was Bragg and Varitek or Lowe and Varitek.

Trust me....this one is burned into to my consciousness.... :cool:

Here's a fun link though with verification:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/baseball/worst/deadlinedeals.html

:beerme:

SunDeck
12-15-2006, 08:33 AM
now, that's one I'd probably scream a little loud.

What would we get from the Mariners board for Coffeybro? It would have to be someone with some serious rep potential. A high poster, in the least. And no P(oster)TBNL, unless there's some serious scratch involved. This small market board can't continue to shell out 1/4 of it's rep to WOY.

RFS62
12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
What would we get from the Mariners board for Coffeybro? It would have to be someone with some serious rep potential. A high poster, in the least. And no P(oster)TBNL, unless there's some serious scratch involved. This small market board can't continue to shell out 1/4 of it's rep to WOY.

I wonder if Coffeebro runs to the keyboard when he's ready to post?

Coffeybro
12-15-2006, 08:38 AM
:laugh:

On another note maybe this rumor is gaining steam. The link goes to a Mariners site that is giving a scouting report and comments on the possible trade. Still haven't heard anything but you never really know.
http://detectovision.com/?p=914#comment-31832

Coffeybro
12-15-2006, 08:39 AM
I wonder if Coffeebro runs to the keyboard when he's ready to post?
No i'm a network administrator i live behind keyboards.

RFS62
12-15-2006, 08:40 AM
No i'm a network administrator i live behind keyboards.

Yeah, but come on. Admit it.

You go to the bathroom or for a cup of coffee during the day.... you run back to your keyboard, don't you?

Coffeybro
12-15-2006, 08:56 AM
If I did that most of the office would complain about the stampeding noise. FYI Todd is a runt next to me. I'm 6'9" roughly 380lbs.

MrCinatit
12-15-2006, 09:05 AM
If I did that most of the office would complain about the stampeding noise. FYI Todd is a runt next to me. I'm 6'9" roughly 380lbs.

:eek:

Ok...how is your fastball, and are you younger than 50 - if so, when can you pitch? :p:

Coffeybro
12-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Ok...how is your fastball, and are you younger than 50 - if so, when can you pitch?

I'll be 28 on the 30th of December. I haven't pitched since high school. I was pretty good up until I dislocated my knee playing football. I wouldn't have a chance now.

TRF
12-15-2006, 09:29 AM

beefy.

All the network admins i work with would be considered food for you.

Hey, now there is an idea.

wolfboy
12-15-2006, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=jojo;1212256]

Trust me....this one is burned into to my consciousness.... :cool:

Here's a fun link though with verification:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/baseball/worst/deadlinedeals.html

:beerme:

Burned in there incorrectly then. Lowe/Varitek for Slocumb. Lowell as in Mike had nothing to do with this trade. At the time this trade went down, Lowell belonged to the Yankees.

AdamDunn
12-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a lie... but hey, during the christmas season, it's ok to be hopeful

WrongVerb
12-15-2006, 09:55 AM
I'd marry his daughter. Name it. Anything....

Oh damn, I'm married.

how about giving up your first born? :lol:

RedsManRick
12-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Coffeybro, tell Todd that if he gets traded he should get some hair dye and some makeup and make himself look about 43. That way, WK will see that he's a solid vet and want to keep him around instead! We want to see him stay a Red for a while.

redsmetz
12-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Wayne would be out of the doghouse on this board if it happened. Falls City might even send Wayne a christmas card.

You're going to get me thrown out of this library I'm visiting in Valparaiso, IN making me laugh out loud like that!

Krusty
A deal involving the Mariners that would send Milton for pitcher Cha Seung Baek might make sense for both teams.

Coffeybro
Coffeybro, tell Todd that if he gets traded he should get some hair dye and some makeup and make himself look about 43. That way, WK will see that he's a solid vet and want to keep him around instead! We want to see him stay a Red for a while.

I'll pass on the info to him. It may just work.

redsmetz
12-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Okay, too many funny things and the person at the next desk is wondering what I'm reading! One of the funkiest threads I've seen around here. And all after I signed off the library's computers last evening.

(I'm up here getting ready to move my daughter back from school. She's moving out since she's studying in Mexico next semester. Can't load up until she's done with her last final at 12:30)

Heath
12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
A deal involving the Mariners that would send Milton for pitcher Cha Seung Baek might make sense for both teams.

Does that come with the Fried Rice and Egg Roll?

Goodness knows if Milton got traded that Redszone would be a "Happy Family".

:bang:

jojo
12-15-2006, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=jojo;1212272]

Burned in there incorrectly then. Lowe/Varitek for Slocumb. Lowell as in Mike had nothing to do with this trade. At the time this trade went down, Lowell belonged to the Yankees.

my apologies for the obvious spelling error-the link should've cleared up any ambiguity for those that did catch the spelling error (i didn't-duh) but misuderstood.... :beerme:

jojo
12-15-2006, 11:01 AM

To me this would make alot of sense for the Reds and no sense for the Ms. Basically the Ms would have to agree to pay about $9M more for basically roughly equivalent expectations from a backend arm..... That should be a hard sell but, hey, Bavasi isn't very smart...

It doesn't hurt to ask. What's the worst he can do, make Krivsky take Sexson too? :cool:

RedsManRick
12-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I'd take Sexson for Milton. Sexson only has 2 years left and he's fairly priced in this market.

Deno
Dunn
EE
Jr
Sexson
Ross
Phillips
AGone

I'd go for that :) Of course, Richie strikes out too much, so that .875 OPS is pretty much useless. Of course, I'm pretty sure the Mariners rotation is set at this point and their offense is horrible, so the deal makes no sense.

BRM
12-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Of course, I'm pretty sure the Mariners rotation is set at this point and their offense is horrible, so the deal makes no sense.

They were rumored to have discussed a Sexson for Pavano swap with the Yankees. It can't hurt to ask.

RedLegSuperStar
12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I'd take Sexson for Milton. Sexson only has 2 years left and he's fairly priced in this market.

Deno
Dunn
EE
Jr
Sexson
Ross
Phillips
AGone

I'd go for that :) Of course, Richie strikes out too much, so that .875 OPS is pretty much useless. Of course, I'm pretty sure the Mariners rotation is set at this point and their offense is horrible, so the deal makes no sense.

RMR.. I can't stop agreeing with you. Sexton back in Ohio.. and in GABP. I think his numbers would rise. I think the M's would complain about adding Milton to there rotation.. sure that might bump Woods out.. but Milton is in the final year of his contract and the M's could deal him at the trade deadline.

corkedbat
12-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Just think how tired opposing pitchers would get having to throw all those strikes alone to Dunn & Sexson, not to mention the hits, ground/fly-outs, balls and fouled 3rd strikes. :D

I'd take Sexson for Milton though.

KoryMac5
12-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I loved Sexson when he was with the BrewCrew but the teams new philosophy on wanting to cut down strike outs really doesn't make this move a fit. But boy would it be fun to watch.

Jpup
12-15-2006, 01:47 PM
the teams new philosophy on wanting to cut down strike outs really doesn't make this move a fit. But boy would it be fun to watch.

that was lip service. there is nothing at all to indicate that strike outs really matter to Wayne Krivsky.

Dracodave
12-15-2006, 01:55 PM
that was lip service. there is nothing at all to indicate that strike outs really matter to Wayne Krivsky.

I'm just a poor boy,I need no sympathy-
Because I'm easy come,easy go,
A little high,little low,
Anyway the wind blows,doesn't really matter to Wayne Krivsky,
To Wayne Krivsky..

BEETTLEBUG
12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Say they get Sexson for Milton would they need Hattiburg or could they get something for him in a trade?

jojo
12-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Say they get Sexson for Milton would they need Hattiburg or could they get something for him in a trade?

IMHO, his trade value would be almost zilch but he could be a useful fellow on the Reds bench....

Matt700wlw
12-15-2006, 05:46 PM
I have dirt.........

Ok, no I don't :D

Mario-Rijo
12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
This is pretty much speculation, I read the same (Coffey for Broussard) deal the other deal on Reds.Scout. I'll provide a link here, read down to the 2nd from the bottom post.

http://mb8.scout.com/fcincinnatiredsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=4924.topic

Of course Seattle may have started talks for Coffey and Krivsky might have offered up Milty for Broussard or Sexson. Could be something to this, but not likely for Coffey.

jojo
12-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I jokingly brought up Sexson's name earlier in the thread but I would like to point something out....

There is tremedous pressure on Bavasi to produce a winner in Seattle in '07. Though smart roster management would move Sexson because he's basically a $7M/win guy over the remaining two years of his contract, its very unlikely that payroll would be the reason they moved him. Frankly, I doubt there is much chance Sexson will be moved. Because he is a $7M/win guy the risk/return outlook isn't favorable which impacts his trade value. Bavasi would need a deal that gives the Ms a better chance to win now. I just don't see any partner that would be a good fit the least of which are the Reds.

We've seen this before...backloaded contracts can really suck on the backend...

BTW, Snelling would've looked GREAT in a Reds uniform....

Spring~Fields
12-15-2006, 07:41 PM
I had it in my mind that they might hope for the best from Milton in the spring and early part of the season, then try to move him before the July deadline for something that meets their needs in return.