PDA

View Full Version : yahoo rumors- arg!.. LA offering Penny to Cards??

redsfan4445
12-14-2006, 11:40 PM
saw this on yahoo rumor page:

"On the trade front, the Los Angeles Dodgers are dangling starter Brad Penny as a spark for talk with the Cardinals.

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch"

this would suck for the Reds!!:thumbdown

Joseph
12-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Depends on what the Cards have to give up to get him.

jmac
12-14-2006, 11:58 PM
carpentar and penny would make a good twosome.
course the sound of Harang..BA...Penny sounds better !

cincyinco
12-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Penny is a guy who is completely overrated IMO.. he has the talent, but he's oft injured and horribly inconsistent.. Check out the pre/post AS break splits.. pretty ugly. I dont know how you go from being that good to being that dreadful.

Rarely has his ERA been south of 4 when he's logged a significant amount of innings, and it hasn't been lately - even tho he's pitched in the confines of a pitchers park.

Meh, I dunno.. he's just frustratingly inconsistent IMO... I liked his upside about 5 years ago. Anyhow, for a team like the pitching starved Reds he's a welcome addition simply because we're so poor in that department.. but I fear the cost for him would be great - and I'm worried he'd get beatup in the GAB.

If he goes to St. Louis tho, Duncan will turn him into another gem I'm sure. Sigh.. What it must be like to have a good pitching coach.

What do the cards give up to get him?

Wainright? Reyes?

I'm not sure what else they have, aside from a few prospects like Rasmus.

Jpup
12-15-2006, 05:11 AM
I don't think the Cardinals have near enough to acquire him.

Krusty
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
LA Times said the Dodgers are looking for a hitter that can hit 25+ home runs for Penny and possibly a young player like Either or Kemp. Doesn't seem like the Cards have that type of hitter to deal that isn't named Pujols.

Benihana
12-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Man I wish we could send them Austin Kearns for Penny :rolleyes:
That would have been PERFECT

Falls City Beer
12-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm not the biggest Penny fan at all, but he would help add yet another shovelful of dirt to the Reds' 2007.

savafan
12-15-2006, 11:33 AM
LA Times said the Dodgers are looking for a hitter that can hit 25+ home runs for Penny and possibly a young player like Either or Kemp. Doesn't seem like the Cards have that type of hitter to deal that isn't named Pujols.

Chris Duncan?

RedLegSuperStar
12-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Reds got a guy who could potentially hit 50 will they give us Penny, Ethier and a prospect?

KoryMac5
12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Penny would be dangerous with the Cards especially with Dave Duncan as pitching coach. Penny is not much of a second half pitcher it may be due to conditioning or that hitters figure him out. If Weaver can be sucessful with the Redbirds Penny just might have a shot to be dominant.

RedLegSuperStar
12-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Penny would be dangerous with the Cards especially with Dave Duncan as pitching coach. Penny is not much of a second half pitcher it may be due to conditioning or that hitters figure him out. If Weaver can be sucessful with the Redbirds Penny just might have a shot to be dominant.

I forgot about the Duncan factor..

TheWalls
12-16-2006, 10:43 AM

I saw the same rumor. Don't the Reds make more sense here? Dunn's homers would still go out of Dodger Stadium, Ethier and Penny would be solid adds and I've got to believe we could find some kind of young talent to sweeten our side.

BEETTLEBUG
12-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree Walls!

WMR
12-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Kearns for Penny straight up

Falls City Beer
12-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Kearns for Penny straight up

:laugh:

Dunn for Penny would save money (correct?), so I'm sure the FO is entertaining the notion of this deal.

WMR
12-16-2006, 12:35 PM
:laugh:

Dunn for Penny would save money (correct?), so I'm sure the FO is entertaining the notion of this deal.

If one truly believes a Lopez and a Kearns gets you a Majewski and a Bray then I think you may very well be onto something.