PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acquired RHP Brendan Donnelly

Krusty
12-15-2006, 02:55 PM
From Rotoworld:

Red Sox acquired RHP Brendan Donnelly from the Angels for LHP Phil Seibel.

Donnelly isn't the answer in the closer's role for the Red Sox, but at this price, it's a pretty good pickup. The 35-year-old Donnelly's ERA has gone up each of the last three years, reaching 3.94 last season. Still, the league still batted just .240 against him and he struck out 53 in 64 innings, suggesting that he's likely to remain a decent sixth- or seventh-inning guy for another year or two. Also, he's due to make only about $2 million in arbitration. Dec. 15 - 2:29 pm et

Dracodave
12-15-2006, 03:07 PM
And we couldnt match or beat that offer?

Once agan..

Sitting on your ass does nothing.

TRF
12-15-2006, 03:19 PM

Once agan..

exactly how many over 35 middle relievers do you think the Reds need?

Now if they acquired another decent starting pitcher, that would hack me off.

This? pheh.

NJReds
12-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Good pickup for the Sox.

maniem
12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

Once agan..

We just signed his clone, David Weathers, to a similar deal. We don't need another aging bullpen guy. Pass.

Tom Servo
12-15-2006, 03:24 PM

Once agan..

Yes, without a doubt not acquring Brendan Donnelly is what will cost the Reds the pennant.

Spitball
12-15-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't know. He has a funny timeline.

The guy flounders ten years in the minors/becomes unhittable major league set-up/Grimsley busted/decrees in velocity/reportedy about to be DFA/traded

I'd pass on the guy. Even if his statistics remained pretty consistent, he was demoted to a lesser bullpen role when his velocity disappeared.

Ravenlord
12-15-2006, 04:57 PM
i'd rather have Donnelly than Cormier or Stanton.

redsupport
12-15-2006, 05:37 PM
I desperately wanted Donnelly, what the heck is the matter with Krivsky

paulrichjr
12-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, without a doubt not acquring Brendan Donnelly is what will cost the Reds the pennant.

If Donnelly were to have been picked up last year the Reds would have been in the playoffs and the Cardinals would not have been. He was better than at least 50% of what we had last year and all those blown games by the bullpen could have been stopped by just one or two really good relief pitchers. Keeping Hancock probably would have meant a playoff spot last year and Kearns or Lopez might have been traded for something else later... Yes the little pickups can mean a lot.

Falls City Beer
12-15-2006, 06:40 PM
If Donnelly were to have been picked up last year the Reds would have been in the playoffs and the Cardinals would not have been. He was better than at least 50% of what we had last year and all those blown games by the bullpen could have been stopped by just one or two really good relief pitchers. Keeping Hancock probably would have meant a playoff spot last year and Kearns or Lopez might have been traded for something else later... Yes the little pickups can mean a lot.

Let me just repeat: Donnelly would have been, hands down, the best bullpen pitcher on the team last season and probably this season.

Spitball
12-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Let me just repeat: Donnelly would have been, hands down, the best bullpen pitcher on the team last season and probably this season.

I totally disagree. The guy's velocity disappeared last season. I can't explain his stats, but talk to anyone who saw him pitch. Bingo-bang, it was there suddenly after ten years in the minors, then, just as suddenly, it was gone.

redsupport
12-15-2006, 07:37 PM
his velocity or whatever you call it, resulted in an effectiveness that exceeded our detritus

Thome 25
12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I desperately wanted Donnelly, what the heck is the matter with Krivsky

Donnelly never played for the Twins

redsupport
12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
good point maybe krivsky will acquire Carl Willis, Jim Merritt and Gerry Arrigo along with the resharpened blade, Tom Hall

edabbs44
12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Donnelly was already on Cincy...but his name was Ben Weber at the time.

Spitball
12-16-2006, 04:14 PM
his velocity or whatever you call it, resulted in an effectiveness that exceeded our detritus

Isn't anyone else wondering why all those other general managers out there also let Donnelly go to the Red Sox for a 27 year old double A pitcher who is recovering from arm surgery? Wouldn't the Yankees have at least come up with a 26 year old at triple A pitcher if they feared the Sox improving themselves?

The point is, Donnelly isn't what he was for a fairly brief and mysterious period of time. In this day and age, top notch relievers are not traded for 27 year old injured double A pitchers.

redsupport
12-16-2006, 05:45 PM
How do you know, this team has taken a chance on every retread since Johnny Klippstein why not try Donnelly, I guess the gold standards of Cormier et al are too rarefied

Spitball
12-16-2006, 09:23 PM
How do you know, this team has taken a chance on every retread since Johnny Klippstein why not try Donnelly, I guess the gold standards of Cormier et al are too rarefied

Donnelly was about to be non-tendered because the Angels didn't want to pay him for what he would get in arbitration. Now, the Red Sox will have to pay him the type of salary he will earn based upon the ability he once had. The Sox also signed J.C.Romero, proving they were too distracted by K-Dice to pay attention to the abilities of the bullpen pitchers they where acquiring.

blumj
12-16-2006, 09:59 PM
The Red Sox bullpen was in such a sorry state that Donnelly and Romero do manage to improve it some, assuming Donnelly isn't complete toast and Romero can at least still handle a few lefties. Donnelly's still younger than Timlin and better than Tavarez, so we're not exactly talking high standards for improvement here.

Ravenlord
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
The Sox also signed J.C.Romero, proving they were too distracted by K-Dice to pay attention to the abilities of the bullpen pitchers they where acquiring.

i think that they believe that their pitching coach can replicate Rick Anderson's ability to get Romero to throw strikes.

savafan
12-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Actually, the Reds had Donnelly under their control twice:

March 4, 1995: Signed as a Free Agent with the Cincinnati Reds.

October 16, 1998: Granted Free Agency.

March 15, 1999: Signed as a Free Agent with the Cincinnati Reds.

April 3, 1999: Released by the Cincinnati Reds.

redsupport
12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
good point