PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Logon Question

GAC
12-16-2006, 09:00 AM
A co-worker came to me yesterday and wondered if there is a way to get into his desktop when he has has forgotten his Windows logon password? He does remember his username.

So basically he can't get to his desktop.

He doesn't get on his computer much and always has it turned off. He's not real computer savy.

He doesn't want to do a computer restore because he has files/pictures he doesn't want to lose.

I personally don't know how he can do it other then taking the hard drive out and having a tech person download the files, and then do a computer restore/format.

The OS was pre-installed and I don;t think he has the XP CD either.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I downloaded this document.....

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

beb30
12-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Type in User Name - Administrator and hit enter (w/o entering a password) or if there is an administrator at your work call him and have him go in and reset the password.

If he can get in into the computer himself under Administrator do the following:

Right click on my computer.
Click Manage
Click Local Users and Groups
Click Users
Then right click his Username
Click set password

ochre
12-16-2006, 11:09 AM
There are ways...

GAC
12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Type in User Name - Administrator and hit enter (w/o entering a password) or if there is an administrator at your work call him and have him go in and reset the password.

If he can get in into the computer himself under Administrator do the following:

Right click on my computer.
Click Manage
Click Local Users and Groups
Click Users
Then right click his Username
Click set password

It's his personal computer at home. I forgot to mention that. Not a work computer.

beb30
12-17-2006, 11:30 PM
It's his personal computer at home. I forgot to mention that. Not a work computer.

Then try typing in Administrator in the username then not entering a password and click ok