PDA

View Full Version : JD Drew failed his physical with Red Sox

savafan
12-16-2006, 08:02 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=103

by Will Carroll

Tony Massarotti of the Boston Herald got the story first, but I have more details on the specifics of the J.D. Drew physical. Drew took the physical shortly after the announcement of the deal in Orlando, but sources have told me that Drew showed problems in his shoulder that “could shut down his power.” Drew had minor surgery on his shoulder after the 2005 season, so it’s possible that there’s more damage in there. It’s important to note that in free agent acquisitions, a team often does not have the benefit of requesting medical records from his previous team prior to signing. Speculation centers on the damage to Drew’s shoulder being more like Scott Rolen circa 2005. As Massarotti reports, it is more likely that the Red Sox get protection in the form of a very limited escape clause rather than scuttling the deal altogether. Somewhere, Bill Simmons just had someone kick him in the groin.

redsupport
12-16-2006, 08:06 PM
at least they detected problems, unlike with majewski

DoogMinAmo
12-16-2006, 08:19 PM
It sounds like he may end up the object of an incentive laden one year deal to prove his health and set himself up for a big payday next year. The only thing is, he can't stay healthy enough to pull it off.

jmcclain19
12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
It sounds like he may end up the object of an incentive laden one year deal to prove his health and set himself up for a big payday next year. The only thing is, he can't stay healthy enough to pull it off.

How poetic would it be if he couldn't land a deal even close to what he had with the Dodgers.

Perfect justice, in my mind.

savafan
12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Maybe he should have seen a doctor before opting out of his contract with the Dodgers

MattyHo4Life
12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Is it really a surprise that JD Drew can't pass a physical? :laugh:

RFS62
12-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Wow.

Merry Christmas to Ned Coletti

remdog
12-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Somewhere tonight Ned Colletti is 'high-five-ing' anyone and everyone within reach. :laugh:

Rem

George Foster
12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Somewhere tonight Ned Colletti is 'high-five-ing' anyone and everyone within reach. :laugh:

Rem

Maybe the Red Sox's had this all planned if they signed that Japanese guy. If the doctor works for them, they can say "fail him." Maybe they think they can't afford both of them, or they have "byers remorse." It is poetic justice.
"you screwed the dodgers, the Red Sox's screwed you."

Chip R
12-16-2006, 09:59 PM
I saw this and first thought they couldn't detect a heartbeat.

remdog
12-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I saw this and first thought they couldn't detect a heartbeat.

:laugh:

:thumbup:

Rem

pedro
12-16-2006, 10:25 PM
When a man's an empty kettle
He should be on his mettle
when his shoulder's torn apart
Just because I'm presumin'
That I could be kind of screwed man
If they knew I'd fall apart

I'd be a non-tendered one year rental
And awful sentimental
Regarding Dodgers park
I'd be counting all my money
if not for Scott Boros' mouth running,
but now they know I'll fall apart

Patpacillosjock
12-16-2006, 10:52 PM
word out of boston is that it is just a ploy by the Red Sox to restructure the contract. There is some slight injury, but its not as bad as it is trying to be reported. HOnestly, is Boras dumb enough to turn down the Dodger offer if he knew JD was hurt? And is Boston dumb enough to sign Drew knowing he's hurt? Both sides did their homework--believe that.

The Sox are just trying to stick it to Boras over the Dice-K deal and now basically going to give drew a contract laced with incentives instead of gauranteed money. The sox realize how much they overspent in the posting and now realize they are keeping Manny and his contract as well.

Stay tuned..but the Sox F.O. is pretty smart.

steig
12-16-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of J.D. Drew and personally don't think he is a very good fit in boston. Maybe the Sox front office is starting to realize how much more they get from Manny than they would get from Drew and are trying to get out of the deal. I would love to see Drew loose this deal and end up signing for less than what he had with the Dodgers. The current FA market has just soured me on the hope that the Reds will ever be able to make a big time signing. I know they are a small market team that won't play in the FA market much but it's hard not to hope and dream.

Chip R
12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Stay tuned..but the Sox F.O. is pretty smart.

If they are so smart, why did they sign Drew in the first place? Why did they trade Arroyo for Wily Mo? Why do they keep talking about trading Manny? They aren't that smart.

blumj
12-16-2006, 11:44 PM
If they are so smart, why did they sign Drew in the first place? Why did they trade Arroyo for Wily Mo? Why do they keep talking about trading Manny? They aren't that smart.

Talking about trading Manny isn't dumb if they don't actually do it. Especially if they don't really want to trade him while HE wants them to, if you see what I mean. But, no, I don't think they're that smart overall. I just think it's silly that they often get criticized for that when all they do is talk about it, they never go through with it.

Patpacillosjock
12-17-2006, 12:04 AM

yeah winning the world series 2 years ago is really retarded. getting schilling, damon, millar, orlando cabrera, beckett, resigning varitek, getting rid of Nomar, Lowe, and Pedro before they declined were all retarded moves.

let me guess, you think WK is a helluva GM as well?

jesus christ.

Krusty
12-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Only the Red Sox are crazy enough to give Drew a five year deal.

savafan
12-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Only the Red Sox are crazy enough to give Drew a five year deal.

I think they're rewriting it as a 1 year deal since they're only expecting to get about 162 games out of Drew over the next 5 years.

MartyFan
12-17-2006, 12:49 AM

Rem

Actually, I think he ran out of the office onto the streets and started singing, dancing and slapping high fives to every passer by...big day for Ned. :laugh:

Dom Heffner
12-17-2006, 12:58 AM
JD Drew failing a physical is like Einstein passing a Physics exam.

redsupport
12-17-2006, 02:40 AM
or Don Heffner making out a sane lineup card

vaticanplum
12-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Is it really a surprise that JD Drew can't pass a physical? :laugh:

That was exactly my thought. The Red Sox had to know when they signed him that they'll be lucky to get 50 games out of him a year.

As for the claim of the Red Sox just trying to restructure his contract, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see how that's possible. The FO are not doctors; they do not administer the physical. And I don't see how it would be in any way allowable for the FO to have any say in the physical at all. That's tampering and it would wreck havoc on players' abilities to negotiate. I can't imagine that the Players' Union would allow anything like that.

Chip R
12-17-2006, 01:33 PM
As for the claim of the Red Sox just trying to restructure his contract, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see how that's possible. The FO are not doctors; they do not administer the physical. And I don't see how it would be in any way allowable for the FO to have any say in the physical at all. That's tampering and it would wreck havoc on players' abilities to negotiate. I can't imagine that the Players' Union would allow anything like that.

I would imagne Mr. Boros will have a thing or two to say about this. Of course the best case scenario for the Sox would be for Drew's contract to be voided. And I'm sure there's other teams out there stupid enough to pick him up. One in particular resides on the north side of Chicago. :D

Jr's Boy
12-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Would be hilarious if they traded him to Philly,who he snubbed when they drafted him.

vermonter
12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I have two thoughts on this:

1. The general feeling is that the Sox are looking for contact language that gets them out of the contract with a fair buy-out in the event he misses x-amount of time due to y-injury (presumably it's his shoulder, this time). This makes the most sense.

2. Having said that, although the Sox have long liked Drew, he was really signed as a contingency for Manny going elsewhere. Since that annual rite has again fallen through, the Sox are left with four starting outfielders, a fifth outfielder who could probably start on many MLB teams (Eric Hinske) and a hot CF prospect moving up quickly in the organization (Jacoby Ellsbury).

So even though option one is more likely, I somehow don't think the Sox would cry too many tears if the Drew deal ultimately fell through - especially since there appear to be no takers for Coco Crisp in the great closer search.

Another interesting twist to the whole Drew in Boston thing is that, for some reason, the mainstream Boston media seems poised to jump all over Drew for reasons not exactly clear to me.

princeton
12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
delicious situation

:thumbup: