PDA

View Full Version : a wasted offseason

swingman24
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
we have the money finally to spend and all we get is Alex Gonzalez and Mike Stanton, many of the right handed power bats are gone, most of the pitchers we could afford and were good are gone and we are left with nothing.... Jeff Suppan and Shea Hillenbrand are our best bets and really they arent worth it... maybe its just me but it jus seems free agents dont wanna come here... maybe its because our fans arent supportive enough which i can see but the main reason is money... to win u have to spend money on big time players which the reds for some reason are not willing to do... if i were the GM julio lugo is my SS but i get eric gagne duh u need a closer and i would have traded for gary sheffield and would sign greg maddux and would have traded for jason jennings...

my roster would look like this:

C David Ross
1B Scott Hatteberg/Shea Hillenbrand
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Julio Lugo
LF Adam Dunn
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
RF Gary Sheffield

Rotation:
1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Jason Jennings
4. Greg Maddux
5. Eric Milton/Elizardo Ramirez/Homer Bailey/Kyle Lohse

although that rotation might be missing a lefty o well lefties dont exactly fare well in our ball park...

im 18 years old and im not even old enough to remember the times when we were in the playoffs or a world series although as a baby i attended an NLCS and WS game in 90' but wouldnt it be nice to jus once spend money on good players ?? dont u wanna see a ballclub that could consistantly play good D and hit the ball well and pitch a great game?? me too, but ya know what ?? i still and always will love my reds and ya know forget about whats up there ^^ im jus a reds fan wanting to see that celebration on the pitchers mound after we have jus won the world series ... if only dreams could come true

Tom Servo
12-16-2006, 10:20 PM
I'd much rather wait a few seasons to win a World Series with the players we have now than win one this year with low-character guys like Sheffield and Lugo.

KoryMac5
12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a run at Hillenbrand to platoon with Hatte at first, plus he can play some third if Edwin needs a rest.

Patpacillosjock
12-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a run at Hillenbrand to platoon with Hatte at first, plus he can play some third if Edwin needs a rest.

if we got someone of Hillenbrand's caliber, there's no way in hell he should have to platoon with somone like Hatteburg.

Patrick Bateman
12-16-2006, 11:18 PM
we have the money finally to spend and all we get is Alex Gonzalez and Mike Stanton, many of the right handed power bats are gone, most of the pitchers we could afford and were good are gone and we are left with nothing.... Jeff Suppan and Shea Hillenbrand are our best bets and really they arent worth it... maybe its just me but it jus seems free agents dont wanna come here... maybe its because our fans arent supportive enough which i can see but the main reason is money... to win u have to spend money on big time players which the reds for some reason are not willing to do... if i were the GM julio lugo is my SS but i get eric gagne duh u need a closer and i would have traded for gary sheffield and would sign greg maddux and would have traded for jason jennings...

C David Ross
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Julio Lugo
LF Adam Dunn
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
RF Gary Sheffield

Rotation:
1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Jason Jennings
4. Greg Maddux

So basically if you were GM, you would find a way to increase payroll to 100M? I'm guessing that would be out of your control. The Reds simply don't have that kind of ridiculous budget.

And you offer no way of getting Jennings/Sheffield. Those guys costed huge prospects, and I'm guessing Homer Bailey would have to be involved.

Plus you have us getting Maddux, and I'm positve that unless we offered him an absurd amout of money, he wouldn't have come here. He wanted the west coast.

The moves you are proposing are not even close to feasible. The Reds don't have the budget, nor do they have the young talent to pick-up Jeenings/Sheffield without depleting the farm. You are basically sacrificing the whole future for 1 year, and even that is not in the realm of possibilities for the Reds.

Krusty
12-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Given the ludicrous contracts being issued to mediocre talent and the lack of pitching talent being dealt, sometimes the best deals are the ones that aren't made.

RedsManRick
12-16-2006, 11:42 PM
I want Babe Ruth and Sandy Koufax on my pretend roster.

MartyFan
12-16-2006, 11:53 PM
I'd have Jesus on my roster...would he strike out? I don't think so.
He would also pitch every game...always PERFECT.
If his arm got fatigued...he'd just heal it.

savafan
12-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I'd have Jesus on my roster...would he strike out? I don't think so.
He would also pitch every game...always PERFECT.
If his arm got fatigued...he'd just heal it.

Sure, but he can't hit a curveball. For that you need:

http://detectovision.com/pics/jobu2.jpg

MartyFan
12-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Is that a baldheaded alien elvis?

savafan
12-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Is that a baldheaded alien elvis?

You don't know Jobu? Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum. Is very bad.

MartyFan
12-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Sorry...no idea.

savafan
12-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Sorry...no idea.

Watch this as soon as you can:

http://www.videoservicecorp.com/images/Major%20League.jpg

BoydsOfSummer
12-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Sure, but he can't hit a curveball. For that you need:

http://detectovision.com/pics/jobu2.jpg

Lets not start a holy war here, sava.

Topcat
12-17-2006, 02:27 AM
[QUOTE=swingman24;1213116]we have the money finally to spend and all we get is Alex Gonzalez and Mike Stanton, many of the right handed power bats are gone, most of the pitchers we could afford and were good are gone and we are left with nothing.... Jeff Suppan and Shea Hillenbrand are our best bets and really they arent worth it... maybe its just me but it jus seems free agents dont wanna come here... maybe its because our fans arent supportive enough which i can see but the main reason is money... to win u have to spend money on big time players which the reds for some reason are not willing to do... if i were the GM julio lugo is my SS but i get eric gagne duh u need a closer and i would have traded for gary sheffield and would sign greg maddux and would have traded for jason jennings...

C David Ross
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Julio Lugo
LF Adam Dunn
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
RF Gary Sheffield

Rotation:
1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Jason Jennings
4. Greg Maddux

although that rotation might be missing a lefty o well lefties dont exactly fare well in our ball park...

im 18 years old and im not even old enough to remember the times when we were in the playoffs or a world series although as a baby i attended an NLCS and WS game in 90' but wouldnt it be nice to jus once spend money on good players ?? dont u wanna see a ballclub that could consistantly play good D and hit the ball well and pitch a great game?? me too, but ya know what ?? i still and always will love my reds and ya know forget about whats up there ^^ im jus a reds fan wanting to see that celebration on the pitchers mound after we have jus won the world series ... if only dreams could come true[/Q

Like wow guess we are not allowed to do any trades before or in season huh? Bummer :doh:

wheels
12-17-2006, 10:40 AM
we have the money finally to spend and all we get is Alex Gonzalez and Mike Stanton, many of the right handed power bats are gone, most of the pitchers we could afford and were good are gone and we are left with nothing.... Jeff Suppan and Shea Hillenbrand are our best bets and really they arent worth it...

Have you checked the remaining free agents list yet?

There are many better players available than the two you mentioned here.

I want no part of Hillenbrand or Suppan. That's some serious flotsam right there.

dsmith421
12-17-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd much rather wait a few seasons to win a World Series with the players we have now than win one this year with low-character guys like Sheffield and Lugo.

I hope you're very patient, because there is absolutely no way the Reds can win a world title with the players at their disposal.

I also suspect the "high-character" Redlegs have as many boozers, philanderers, and all around bad guys as every other team in baseball. It's professional sports, not sunday school.

Tom Servo
12-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I hope you're very patient, because there is absolutely no way the Reds can win a world title with the players at their disposal.

I also suspect the "high-character" Redlegs have as many boozers, philanderers, and all around bad guys as every other team in baseball. It's professional sports, not sunday school.
I had a feeling that arguement would come, and I understand your arguement completly, but you won't sway me. Character is a part of baseball, and it means something to my interests. We know Sheff's a roided-up jerk and Lugo's a wife-beater, and I would rather try to win with our current roster than by adding those two.

Handofdeath
12-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I had a feeling that arguement would come, and I understand your arguement completly, but you won't sway me. Character is a part of baseball, and it means something to my interests. We know Sheff's a roided-up jerk and Lugo's a wife-beater, and I would rather try to win with our current roster than by adding those two.

Believe it or not, that may have something to do with the Reds signing so many older players. The work ethic and maturity of the Reds seems to be a little less than satisfactory and maybe the FO thinks than the older players might be good role models. Either that or Krivsky is taking part in some sort of job program for senior citizens.

Degenerate39
12-17-2006, 05:56 PM
It's safe to say the stuff you're talking about will never happen. Gary Shef a Red? Why would we want him? Don't we already have an old outfielder? Why would you want Eric Gagne when he won't even be able to pitch for the majority of the season.

Patpacillosjock
12-17-2006, 06:24 PM
It's safe to say the stuff you're talking about will never happen. Gary Shef a Red? Why would we want him? Don't we already have an old outfielder? Why would you want Eric Gagne when he won't even be able to pitch for the majority of the season.

I use to say I never wanted Kevin MItchell, Ron Gant, or Greg Vaughn...but that all worked out ok for us for a season or two.

i look at it as the same situation..yeah sheff isnt a great guy but he can mash when healthy and possibly could play 1b.

wheels
12-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I use to say I never wanted Kevin MItchell, Ron Gant, or Greg Vaughn...but that all worked out ok for us for a season or two.

i look at it as the same situation..yeah sheff isnt a great guy but he can mash when healthy and possibly could play 1b.

He ain't exactly cheap, and he ain't exactly someone I see giving a maximum effort in Cincinnati.

This is a guy that deliberately tanked throws when he was a SS for the Brewers.

He would be an absolute menace to the Reds organization.

redsfan1966
12-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Gary Sheffield is a cancer....I believe wholeheartedly that the Sheff in Detroit scenario will end in a horrible disaster not unlike the Hindenberg.

wheels
12-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Gary Sheffield is a cancer....I believe wholeheartedly that the Sheff in Detroit scenario will end in a horrible disaster not unlike the Hindenberg.

Yup.

I wonder what it'll be like when he and Leyland butt heads.

kaldaniels
12-18-2006, 12:52 PM

C David Ross
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Julio Lugo
LF Adam Dunn
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
RF Gary Sheffield

Rotation:
1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Jason Jennings
4. Greg Maddux

im 18 years old and im not even old enough to remember the times when we were in the playoffs or a world series although as a baby i attended an NLCS and WS game in 90' but wouldnt it be nice to jus once spend money on good players ?? dont u wanna see a ballclub that could consistantly play good D and hit the ball well and pitch a great game?? me too, but ya know what ?? i still and always will love my reds and ya know forget about whats up there ^^ im jus a reds fan wanting to see that celebration on the pitchers mound after we have jus won the world series ... if only dreams could come true

The best moves are sometimes the ones you don't make. As stated in SI this week, it is a bull market for FA. No sense wasting big dollars on mediocrity. Your proposals...easier said than done my friend.

savafan
12-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Yup.

I wonder what it'll be like when he and Leyland butt heads.

The Pirates made it to the NLCS with Leyland butting heads with Bonilla and Bonds.