PDA

View Full Version : Another NBA brawl tonight

HumnHilghtFreel
12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
This had to be just what David Stern wanted to see

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av5ikSVYrPElwi6zcdgAc.M5nYcB?slug=ap-nuggets-knicksbrawl&prov=ap&type=lgns

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Thugs and drugs.

The NBA sucks. I think I would rather have a cinderblock dropped on my private areas rather than watch a NBA game.

Willy
12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Thugs and drugs.

The NBA sucks. I think I would rather have a cinderblock dropped on my private areas rather than watch a NBA game.

:laugh:

Don't hold back OBM, tell us how you really feel!

traderumor
12-16-2006, 11:52 PM
So, the Knicks were getting their tale kicked and were upset because starters were still on the floor. And Isaiah Thomas sounds like he is right in the middle of it. Classy.

dman
12-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Between stuff like this and the BoSox paying 50 some odd million just to talk with Matsuzuka, I'm about ready to give up on following any professional sport. It's all way out of hand and been that way for quite some time now.

IowaRed
12-17-2006, 12:00 AM
video from ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=261216018

MrCinatit
12-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah. Fighting in the middle of the seats is always a good idea. If you can't beat the crap out of the other team, why not take a couple of the faithful down with you?

Jpup
12-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Thugs and drugs.

of course, there isn't any fighting or drugs in baseball. :help:

Gainesville Red
12-17-2006, 01:29 AM
How did they decide who got tossed?

Did they just throw out everyone who was on the floor?

Being a gator, I saw David Lee getting tossed but didn't see him doing anything but trying to break it up?

What a mess. I can see how they'd just toss everyone that was on the floor.

I wish it would have broken out in the 1st quarter. I'd like to see a game played with no bench.

WMR
12-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Let me go hunt up that SI cover-story describing Carmelo (along with LeBron and D-Wade) as the new face of the NBA. hahahahaha

RedsBaron
12-17-2006, 07:29 AM
This NBA brawl just reminds me of why I am not a pro basketball fan. I prefer sports where the athletes are well behaved. Go Bengals!;)

WMR
12-17-2006, 07:41 AM
This NBA brawl just reminds me of why I am not a pro basketball fan. I prefer sports where the athletes are well behaved. Go Bengals!;)

HAHAHAHAHAA. Who Dey! We keep all our illegal activities OFF the field... Cameras, duh!!!! :laugh: Just think how much illegal activity they've gotten away with.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2006, 11:03 AM
On a serious note, having spent some time at Syracuse and being a huge Melo fan, I'm very disappointed to see him take that cheap shot when the brawl was seeming to die down.

I put the under/over of his suspension at 12 games.

WMR
12-17-2006, 11:04 AM
On a serious note, having spent some time at Syracuse and being a huge Melo fan, I'm very disappointed to see him take that cheap shot when the brawl was seeming to die down.

Remember him on video standing on the street corner in his old "hood" talking with known drug dealers about "killing snitches"?

Jpup
12-17-2006, 11:48 AM

he won't get more than 2 or 3.

HumnHilghtFreel
12-17-2006, 02:12 PM
he won't get more than 2 or 3.

no way, I think Stern is gonna go out of his way to make an example of him to show that the **** isn't gonna fly no matter who you are

Jpup
12-17-2006, 02:21 PM
no way, I think Stern is gonna go out of his way to make an example of him to show that the **** isn't gonna fly no matter who you are

look at past suspensions. Shaq only got 3 games for about killing Brad Miller.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2006, 02:31 PM
look at past suspensions. Shaq only got 3 games for about killing Brad Miller.

That was pre-Auburn Hills.

The fact the brawl was almost over, and Anthony took the cheap shot will push his suspension double digits.

WMR
12-17-2006, 04:13 PM
I think he'll get 10 games

traderumor
12-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Happens every night in several NHL cities. Just return to the good old cages to keep the fans out and let the boys have at it. Cage match basketball. Sort of like hoops rollerball :evil:

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1900.html

When introduced, the cage made pro basketball a rough sport as players engaged in hockey-style body checks against the wire. Frenzied fans would stick hatpins and lit cigars through the cage and into opposing player's flesh.

Violence was common between players, too. Bill Himmelman, who lives in Bergen County and is the NBA's official historian, said he heard all sorts of bruising tales when he began a project of interviewing turn-of-the-century players.

"It was an absolute sin to allow an opponent to score a layup," Himmelman said. "The way it worked was this: if a guy got past you to score, you would lay into him and send him to the floor. If he did it a second time, you would use what we'd today a call a karate chop to his nose. With this going on, every player had a broken nose."

WMR
12-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Happens every night in several NHL cities. Just return to the good old cages to keep the fans out and let the boys have at it. Cage match basketball. Sort of like hoops rollerball :evil:

http://www.sportsattic.com/images/xfl_logo.gif

http://www.thecabin.net/images/020400/xfl.jpg

http://www.madbbs.com/users/zacoly/images/homer-xfl2.png

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v298/sallimo/xfl_fat_man.jpg

dman
12-17-2006, 04:47 PM
If any of us were in a public forum like a sports arena and did what these idiots are doing, we would likely be charged criminally for these kind of acts. Me personally, I think acts like this or say when pitchers intentionally throw at batters or other stuff like that should be prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent that the law allows.

traderumor
12-17-2006, 05:03 PM
If any of us were in a public forum like a sports arena and did what these idiots are doing, we would likely be charged criminally for these kind of acts. Me personally, I think acts like this or say when pitchers intentionally throw at batters or other stuff like that should be prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent that the law allows.
What about boxing? These are competitors who have entered an athletic contest and have effectively agreed by doing so that acts on the court or on the field of play are not subject to local, state or federal laws. If that were not the case, football players would be in court for blows to the QB head, an elbow to the gut inside that puts the guy out of a game could result in a hearing, and, well I think you get the picture. There are a lot of things going on in a football game that would be criminal activity in the streets.

WMR
12-17-2006, 05:08 PM
What about boxing? These are competitors who have entered an athletic contest and have effectively agreed by doing so that acts on the court or on the field of play are not subject to local, state or federal laws. If that were not the case, football players would be in court for blows to the QB head, an elbow to the gut inside that puts the guy out of a game could result in a hearing, and, well I think you get the picture. There are a lot of things going on in a football game that would be criminal activity in the streets.

Anything outside the scope of "ordinary, assumed risk" that comes along with a sport, whether it be hockey, football, baseball, or boxing is subject to prosecution. Ex. Albert Haynesworth stomping the head... Hockey stick attempted beheadings... Miami players utilizing their helmets as deadly weapons... etc. etc.

When you take your actions beyond what a sport condones as 'in the field of play,' you are opening yourself up to criminal prosecution.

Beaning a batter? Not prosecutable.
Proving a pitcher threw at someone's head in the attempt to kill/injure them? Obviously, proving intent in that situation would be difficult--although not impossible--but there would be a valid basis for pursuing criminal prosecution.

paintmered
12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
And the suspensions have been given....

AP article from ESPN:

Suspensions total 47 games from Knicks-Nuggets fight

NEW YORK -- NBA scoring leader Carmelo Anthony was suspended for 15 games Monday and six other players were penalized as commissioner David Stern came down hard on both teams after the Nuggets and Knicks brawled at Madison Square Garden.

Nate Robinson and J.R. Smith each got 10 games, and four other players also were suspended. Stern fined each organization $500,000. But there was no separate penalty for Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, who had warned Anthony not to go into the lane before the mayhem started Saturday night.

"The NBA and its players represent a game of extraordinary skill, athleticism and grace, and, for good or bad, set an example for the entire basketball world, on and off the court," Stern said in a statement.

Mardy Collins, whose hard foul on Smith sparked the fighting, was suspended six games and Knicks teammate Jared Jeffries will miss four. Also, the Knicks' Jerome James and Denver's Nene were both penalized one game for leaving the bench area during the chaos.

Ten players were ejected after the fight, which started with 1:15 left in Denver's 123-100 victory. It was the NBA's scariest scene since the brawl between Pacers players and Pistons fans in Detroit two years ago.

There was speculation Thomas would be penalized for his comments to Anthony. Stern acknowledged hearing about it, but said he relied only on "definitive information" when handing out punishments.

The punishments were announced before both teams were to play Monday night -- New York at home against Utah; Denver at home against Washington.

Stern, taking the unusual step of announcing his ruling in a conference call, said the fines to the organizations are meant to show he is serious about cleaning up the game.

"It's a more general message that I'm going to start holding our teams accountable," Stern said.

Collins prevented Smith from an easy basket by grabbing him by the neck and taking him to the floor. Smith rose and immediately started jawing with Collins, and Robinson jumped in to pull Smith away. Anthony shoved Robinson away, and Robinson and Smith then tumbled into the front row while fighting.

Nuggets, Knicks Suspensions
DENVER
Player Games
Carmelo Anthony 15
J.R. Smith 10
Nene 1
NEW YORK
Player Games
Nate Robinson 10
Mardy Collins 6
Jared Jeffries 4
Jerome James 1

Just as things appeared to be calming down, Anthony threw a hard punch that floored Collins, and New York's Jared Jeffries sprinted from the baseline toward halfcourt in an effort to get at Anthony, but was tackled by a Denver player.

By the time security had finally contained Smith, they were nearly at the opposite end of the court from where the fighting started.

"I was very disappointed," Stern said. "Clearly, we're not getting through or players in certain circumstances just don't want to be restrained. I would suggest that those players will not have long careers in the NBA."

Stern also made it clear he was annoyed by comments from Thomas and the Knicks that the problems were caused by the Nuggets still having four starters on the floor late in a blowout. The commissioner said the only response is to say "nothing, or B, this is not something of which we can be proud or condone. That's not what we're about and that's not the example that we're setting."

In Denver, Nuggets coach George Karl was irate with Thomas, who said Monday that Karl put his players in danger by leaving them on the floor too long. Karl accused Thomas of a "premeditated" act, underscoring his disgust with the New York coach with expletives.

"It was directed by Isiah," he said during a shootaround. "I think his actions after the game were despicable. He made a bad situation worse. I'll swear on my children's life that I never thought about running up the score. I wanted to get a big win on the road."

"My team has had trouble holding leads at the end of games," he added. "I didn't want the score to get under 10 points because if it would've gotten under 10 points it would've had a negative feeling on my team."

KGJR30
12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
About what I expected for Carmelo, however I'm shocked Mardy Collins only got 6 games. He was the one who made the ridiculously blatant foul that started the whole thing. How does he get 6 games and Smith get 10? Smith reacted like most people would after being intentionally hit like that.

Puffy
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
About what I expected for Carmelo, however I'm shocked Mardy Collins only got 6 games. He was the one who made the ridiculously blatant foul that started the whole thing. How does he get 6 games and Smith get 10? Smith reacted like most people would after being intentionally hit like that.

They could suspend Mardy Collins the rest of the year and no one would notice. He is a garbage time player.

And I'm a Knick fan. Well, I used to be a knick fan, now I root for them to lose so Isiah gets fired.

M2
12-18-2006, 05:58 PM

Well, if you can't stage watchable games, you've got to do something.

Chip R
12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
I saw that slap from Anthony last night. It looked like when Dave Chappelle was playing Rick James and he slapped Charlie Murphy.

Sorry Isiah didn't get suspended, Puffy. The Knicks may actually have won some games in his absence.

registerthis
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
When introduced, the cage made pro basketball a rough sport as players engaged in hockey-style body checks against the wire. Frenzied fans would stick hatpins and lit cigars through the cage and into opposing player's flesh.

Sounds like pro wrestling.