PDA

View Full Version : I'm Time Magazine's Person of the Year

savafan
12-16-2006, 11:42 PM
And so are you! :)

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?id=13316679&ps=1011&lang=en&_LT=HOME_USNWC01L1_UNEWS

The Associated Press
By LARRY McSHANE

NEW YORK (AP) Congratulations! You are the Time magazine "Person of the Year."

The annual honor for 2006 went to each and every one of us, as Time cited the shift from institutions to individuals citizens of the new digital democracy, as the magazine put it. The winners this year were anyone using or creating content on the World Wide Web.

"If you choose an individual, you have to justify how that person affected millions of people," said Richard Stengel, who took over as Time's managing editor earlier this year. "But if you choose millions of people, you don't have to justify it to anyone."

The magazine did cite 26 "People Who Mattered," from North Korean dictator Kim Jon Il to Pope Benedict XVI to the troika of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

And Stengel said if the magazine had decided to go with an individual, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was the likely choice. "It just felt to me a little off selecting him," Stengel said.

The 2006 "Person of the Year" package hits newsstands Monday. The cover shows a white keyboard with a mirror for a computer screen where buyers can see their reflection.

It was not the first time the magazine went away from naming an actual person for its "Person of the Year." In 1966, the 25-and-under generation was cited; in 1975, American women were named; and in 1982, the computer was chosen.

"I always love it when it's a person and it is a person, not a computer or something like that," Stengel said. "We just felt there wasn't a single person who embodied this phenomenon."

Last year's winners were Bill and Melinda Gates and rock star Bono, who were cited for their charitable work and activism aimed at reducing global poverty and improving world health.

http://newsimages.charter.net/ap_photos//NYR10412170157.jpeg

remdog
12-17-2006, 12:02 AM
With Time's track record I would have guessed that they had named the ever blithering and always ineffective Kofi Annan. :rolleyes:

Rem

savafan
12-17-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I expect royalties coming back from the sale of each issue.

MrCinatit
12-17-2006, 12:33 AM
I will be signing autographs, along with the other winners, at a very long table in Montana. And Wyoming. And Iowa.

oneupper
12-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Time wimps out on selecting the real person of the year (the Iranian dude, Putin or Chavez) because they don't happen to like them.

How lame is that?

RedsBaron
12-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Time wimps out on selecting the real person of the year (the Iranian dude, Putin or Chavez) because they don't happen to like them.

How lame is that?

Time in the past has selected people such as Hitler as "Man of the Year" and then received criticism by people who didn't understand that the selection did not mean that Time approved of the person. That said, I find the whole "Person of the Year" process to be somewhat silly. I do not look to Time magazine for guidance on anything.

oneupper
12-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Time in the past has selected people such as Hitler as "Man of the Year" and then received criticism by people who didn't understand that the selection did not mean that Time approved of the person. That said, I find the whoe "Person of the Year" process to be somewhat silly. I do not look to Time magazine for guidance on anything.

Absolutely. I guess "Time(s)" have changed.

RFS62
12-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Time in the past has selected people such as Hitler as "Man of the Year" and then received criticism by people who didn't understand that the selection did not mean that Time approved of the person. That said, I find the whole "Person of the Year" process to be somewhat silly. I do not look to Time magazine for guidance on anything.

Now, now.... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

You have to admit that their "How I'd stop nuclear proliferation" series by Billy Ray Cyrus was worthwhile reading.

RedsBaron
12-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Now, now.... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

You have to admit that their "How I'd stop nuclear proliferation" series by Billy Ray Cyrus was worthwhile reading.

"If you tell my heart
My achy breaky heart
I just might blow up and kill this man"

Those lyrics were actually a very insightful and moving argument against nuclear proliferation.

RFS62
12-17-2006, 08:14 AM
"If you tell my heart
My achy breaky heart
I just might blow up and kill this man"

Those lyrics were actually a very insightful and moving argument against nuclear proliferation.

Yep. That's just as good as it gets, isn't it?

RBA
12-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I would think they would of given it to a woman who will hold the highest political office for a woman ever in the United States of America.

Unassisted
12-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Since they were weirdly averse to avoiding political figures, at least we can take some solace in the fact they didn't pick Britney Spears or K-Fed.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Since they were weirdly averse to avoiding political figures, at least we can take some solace in the fact they didn't pick Britney Spears or K-Fed.

But indirectly they did, with the all encompassing "you".

With the holiday season upon us, I gotta ask. What's the worst stocking stuffer? K-Fed's CD, or fruitcake?

Yachtzee
12-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I would think they would of given it to a woman who will hold the highest political office for a woman ever in the United States of America.

Are you talking about Nancy Pelosi? Not to turn this political, but I think she could have been a quality choice had she been a driving force behind the Democratic Party's gains this past election. I think the big reason behind the gains were more of a vote against the current administration than a vote for any kind of coherent platform proposed by Pelosi. Her true test will come when she actually steps in as House Speaker.

oneupper
12-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Are you talking about Nancy Pelosi? Not to turn this political, but I think she could have been a quality choice had she been a driving force behind the Democratic Party's gains this past election. I think the big reason behind the gains were more of a vote against the current administration than a vote for any kind of coherent platform proposed by Pelosi. Her true test will come when she actually steps in as House Speaker.

Seriously, though, Pelosi is probably as known outside the US as Troy Smith.
Time, as bad as it may be (and it IS bad) has too much intenational exposure to think so domestically.

HotCorner
12-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Are my 15 minutes up?

dabvu2498
12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Now on my resume: 2006, Time Magazine's Man of the Year

Roy Tucker
12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
They must have been hitting the crack pipe especially hard in the Time editorial board room to come up with this gem.

RichRed
12-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I really didn't expect to win, I don't even have a speech prepared. There are just so many people I'd like to thank...

texasdave
12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Time Person of the Year....And it wasn't even one of my better years.:)

texasdave
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
The Rolling Stones were right. Time really is on my side. (yes it is) :)

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 03:31 PM
I would like to thank all of you for supporting me and allowing me to be the Time Person of the Year.

I would like to thank Puffy for all the efforts he puts in to pointing out what chicks are hot and legal.

I would like to thank Redszone for providing a place to post.

And last and not least I would like to thank God from preventing a power outage that would take away my ability to post on the internet. Without him and electricity none of this would be possible.

Yachtzee
12-18-2006, 04:25 PM
I am Tiger Woods.